HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 12:05 AM

Redevelopment of Krakowskie Przedmiescie in Warsaw finished

A bit of history from Wikipedia.

Krakowskie Przedmieście, in Warsaw (literal English meaning: "Kraków Suburb"; until the 19th century, also known by the French rendering, "Faubourg de Cracovie") is one of the most impressive and prestigious streets of Poland's capital.

It is the northernmost part of the Royal Route, and links the Old Town and Royal Castle with some of the most notable institutions in Warsaw, including — proceeding southward — the Presidential Palace, Warsaw University, and the Polish Academy of Sciences (headquartered in the Staszic Palace).

In accordance with Fryderyk Chopin's will, after his death his heart was removed, placed in an urn, and brought by his sister to Warsaw, where it was deposited inside a pillar in the Holy Cross Church on Krakowskie Przedmieście.

The immediate southward extension of Krakowskie Przedmieście, along the Royal Route, is ulica Nowy Świat (English: "New World Street").

Krakowskie Przedmieście is also the main and most elegant street in Lublin, and the name of streets in the Polish towns of Piotrków Trybunalski, Bochnia, Krasnystaw, Olkusz, Sieradz and Wieluń.

The redevelopment project is almost completed (there is a small high tech park that needs to be fnished but it is not visible on these photos).

Photos by Pstrykacz.

okradziony Kopernik

Photos by Fredi & Slawek

By night by Tomasz

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 3:43 AM

It's gorgeous. I'd love to see Warsaw some day soon.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 9:11 PM

Been to Warsaw a number of times, used to live there, saw the construction of the street but not the finished product. Looks awesome. I live in Ottawa Canada.....huge difference.....for the worst in Ottawa...and its the capital.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 11:08 AM

Come on, I just can’t believe they would say yes to this idea! The works would paralyze half of the city, just next to this Mariott tower there is one of the busiest crossroads in Warsaw. And there would be a need to close it first and, secondly, completely rebuild it just to free some place for the tower. If the government wants to have this Euro 2012 in our capital, they won’t be as stupid to let this being boiled now and not in the next 5 years!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 11:38 AM
YIMBY co-founder

What's the place like to walk along now, and what was it like before this? It is looking pretty d*mn fine
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 12:38 PM

3 years ago - lots of cars, little place to walk according to lots of students. Dirty.

Before World War II, that means before this part of the city was completely destructed, like this:

But there is one sad thing: when renovating the street, they destroyed old kerbs. And they stayed there since before the war.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 6:58 PM
alive and kickin'

Swede, This is a very pleasant walk now... I lived in Warsaw when they were in the middle of rebuilding the road so I don't have much knowledge about what it was like before. But I was able to find some photos that show the vast improvement.

These images were posted by Sławek in Skyscrapercity's Polish boards:

From http://miasta.gazeta.pl/warszawa/1,34862,5441432.html

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 10:55 AM

Very good comparison the pictures.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 6:19 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Yeah! Thanks for posting those. Looks like a great redevelopment. Next time I'm in Warsaw I'll have to check it out (instead of just spending 2 hours at the airport waiting for a connecting flight - only 2 hours I've been in Poland).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 10:58 AM

Swede, this place has been always worth seing no matter how dirty or how good it looked .

Each time Poland's political status changed or something in Polish culture changed, the street changed as well it's like a small book on history of Warsaw.

For ex., "PAN" - Polish Academy of Science got it's building (the one behind Copernicus' monnument) after an old church, and the look it has now is close to that one, only the last floor and the roof changed a lot. In XIX cent. it was completly rebuild, but after Wold War I, when Poland gained freedom returned to something-like-an old look. Here you can see the changes (I'cant copy a phicture here)
http://www.warszawa.przedwojenna.prv...G%26ie%3DUTF-8

Etc. And so, it's difficult to say now what is old there, what is new, each restauration is like giving Krakowskie Przedmieście a new version.
Here some more pictures to see the changes since before the Wars till now.

(from http://kulturalna.warszawa.pl/zdjecia/1176/1240_42_.jpg) 1945

(from Wikipedia, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ie_-_4137.jpg), Warsaw Uprising, Wold War II

from about 1915 - the 3 houses near the hostel do not exist now, there is a gazon (http://eela1.blox.pl/resource/krakowskieprzedkarowa.jpg)

same (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/63...e9ce11.jpg?v=0)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe