HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 8:35 PM
Meh

On the issue of wasting money on such a thing, downtown needs public (free) meeting places for people to gather. I know the weather is damn near perfect in Austin, but there are days when it's not. You can't meet outside all the time or in hotels. I think public libraries will continue to evolve to the point where they lend out electronic devices such as tablets or at least offer them at the library.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
On the issue of wasting money on such a thing, downtown needs public (free) meeting places for people to gather. I know the weather is damn near perfect in Austin, but there are days when it's not. You can't meet outside all the time or in hotels. I think public libraries will continue to evolve to the point where they lend out electronic devices such as tablets or at least offer them at the library.
So the tax payers should pay $120 million just so people have a place to meet on a rainy day? I think there must be a better argument for an expensive library. I personally haven't been to a libray since this thing called the internet was invented.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
120MM buys an awful lot of "free" meeting places.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 8:53 PM
Meh

Building heights

Here are the heights from the site plan:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...0-%20Plans.pdf

123 feet to the mechanical penthouse
104 feet to the main roof
85 feet to the 6th floor

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice of the X-Winter View Post
So the tax payers should pay $120 million just so people have a place to meet on a rainy day? I think there must be a better argument for an expensive library. I personally haven't been to a libray since this thing called the internet was invented.
Why libraries should be the next great startup incubators

http://qz.com/55691/why-libraries-sh...tup-incubators

"This old idea of the public library as co-working space now offers a modern answer – one among many – for how these aging institutions could become more relevant two millennia after the original Alexandria library burned to the ground. Would-be entrepreneurs everywhere are looking for business know-how and physical space to incubate their start-ups. Libraries meanwhile may be associated today with an outmoded product in paper books. But they also happen to have just about everything a 21st century innovator could need: Internet access, work space, reference materials, professional guidance."

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:44 PM

So is there a rendering available for this new library? What is the schedule for construction? This thing has been on the back burner for way too long.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
So is there a rendering available for this new library? What is the schedule for construction? This thing has been on the back burner for way too long.
No rendering, but below is an elevation that is included in those plans KevinFromTexas posted above. The filing with the City says they want to start construction in May 2013, so only a few months away if everything gets approved. That's a big "if" in this town, tho.

Last edited by AusTxDevelopment; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 5:09 AM
Meh

^May would be a move up in the schedule. This article below said Fall 2013.
http://www.austinpost.org/boom-town/...oom-all-austin

And here are all the renderings I've seen. If you Google Austin Central Public Library Renderings you'll find them.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 5:47 AM

Wow! They even have some book shelves planned!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 5:56 AM

The shelves do seem to be few and far between, and they are fairly empty. But there's plenty of seating for urban campers to get a break from the summer heat.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 2:22 AM
Meh

The library is breaking ground May 30th.

http://austintexas.gov/event/central...groundbreaking

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 1:59 AM
Meh

Construction of new central library to start in June

They're still saying May 30th for the groundbreaking, with construction to start next month.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:30 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:39 PM

^^This is the correct link fr the KVUE story:

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/New-d...209480921.html

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:43 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Oops. Transcription error.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 11:31 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

This is awesome news. Construction in Downtown has finally gone onto high gear.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 11:33 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Is it too late for them to change their mind on spending 120 million storing paper books? With every passing day this thing looks like a bigger and bigger joke. If they are smart they will design the space to easily be converted to office or museum space.... because that is what it is going to be in 10-20 years.
It was just within the last couple days, during my web surfing, I ran across an article somewhere about the rising popularity of libraries and their relevance to the digital age.

I personally think this will be one of the most gorgeous buildings in town, certainly a lot nicer than the bland institutional monoliths to the immediate NXNW of the convention center.

You probably don't frequent libraries much yourself or you'd know how crowded they tend to be. Drop into a few around town when you get a chance and you'll see what's happening. Predictions of the demise of paper books are more off-base than predictions of the end of vinyl records. I refuse to read digital "books". They're not books, they're pixels on a monitor! The feel of holding a real book, and the rest granted to my eyes, far surpasses the experience of reading from a screen. Of course YMMV.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 11:46 PM
Meh

Thanks in part to Facebook for encouraging and influencing me and the ease of reserving a book online on the Austin Public Library's website, I've started to read more now and I really enjoy it. I read all day anyway, but it's usually articles online about local news and national/world politics. I'd forgotten how nice it is to get lost with a book that wasn't about current events.

Besides libraries being a fairly convenient and nice alternative to a noisy coffee shop, it really is surprisingly easy to reserve material online. You can get a free library card in Austin. That also gives you access to their website. Your library card number is the same as your online account number, plus a password that you choose yourself. Getting a library card takes less than 10 minutes and you get your card immediately. You can look up books, music and movies online on their website and place a hold. You can put a book, music or a movie on hold from any branch and have it delivered (for free) to your nearest/favorite branch. It also allows you to create lists of material for future reading or to keep track of your favorites. It is so easy and completely free I don't know why people aren't doing it more often. Netflix and Redbox have a limited selection of movies and pretty much none that are older. Plus Redbox movies don't include the bonus material, and if you enjoy watching that you can't.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 9:23 PM

Construction Has Started!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 12:40 AM

Man, all my years working nearby this area and constantly walking imagining that this was built. I have to say its about goddamn time!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin