HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 1:15 PM

I guess many areas use the Comp. thread as their main discussion board, which is cool. I'm sure it's just depends on what local forum traditions worked well from the start. Many of these metros have used this thread as their main discussion mode for many years now.

I like your pic above Tony. It definitely gives a good perspective of the challenges of Salt Lake's ginormous blocks. Also, nice to see a rarer pic of the 'other' mountain range on the west side of the Central Metro. I'm looking forward to what I believe will be a fantastic ski resort up in those peaks pictured. It will probably not happen until Rio Tinto feels the Valley and Metro have increased their home base by a few hundred thousand more people. I do think it will definitely happen though. It's kind of like the future NFL team. We just need a few more years to increase the home base and surrounding market/population.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I guess many areas use the Comp. thread as their main discussion board, which is cool. I'm sure it's just depends on what local forum traditions worked well from the start. Many of these metros have used this thread as their main discussion mode for many years now.
Exactly. Which is why many are just pages and pages of arguing.

Quote:
I like your pic above Tony. It definitely gives a good perspective of the challenges of Salt Lake's ginormous blocks. Also, nice to see a rarer pic of the 'other' mountain range on the west side of the Central Metro. I'm looking forward to what I believe will be a fantastic ski resort up in those peaks pictured. It will probably not happen until Rio Tinto feels the Valley and Metro have increased their home base by a few hundred thousand more people. I do think it will definitely happen though. It's kind of like the future NFL team. We just need a few more years to increase the home base and surrounding market/population.
So....6 years?

If we're including the Provo and Ogden MSA. The entire CSA is currently adding an amazing 50,000 people a year. Incredible to think the area could be over 3million by the end of the decade.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 11:20 AM

Definitely, there will be a lot of pressure to expand the current resorts and add additional ski areas to the metro. Six years from now, I think we'll have seen some major expansion around the Ogden area resorts, and also the Canyons will probably emerge as the largest single resort in the U.S. Rio Tinto will have some extremely deep pockets, given a normal economy, and will likely move in some manner toward a major resort for the Oquirrh Mtn Range. I would love to see Rio Tinto carry the ball on the ski resort, since they have the money and the mind-set to do it right.
Regarding an NFL/MLB team...You know, I'm not sure what they think the tipping point is for the media market. Granted, the Salt Lake City CSA(Wasatch Front & Back) will be one of the largest in the nation before too long, but then we have to calculate areas such as the rest of the State and Southeastern Idaho, Southwestern Wyoming and Eastern Nevada. Southeastern Idaho is expanding rapidly, also the St. George area, but there's such a large amount of empty space out there that never seems to see much growth. I think that in addition to the Metro needing to reach over three million, and the overall State bringing the numbers to over 4 plus million, we will also need a deep pocketed Daddy Warbucks with a Larry Miller type committment to the game and the region. I'd love to see a Dave Checketts type get the NFL ball rolling. Perhaps, a Checketts type would be good at putting a powerful cartel together. If Checketts continues his success with REAL, etc. then we could see him as the man to put it together some day... who knows?

Last edited by delts145; Jul 30, 2010 at 11:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 11:39 AM

Southern Metro - Utah Valley

UVU trustees approve revised Master Plan, projects

http://heraldextra.com/news/local/ar...33fe4891d.html

Utah Valley University trustees voted Thursday to accept a revised edition of the 2005 master plan for the school as well as a few campus projects. The plan reflects the difference in the needs of being a community college compared to a growing state university...

Updated 2005 master plan projecting UVU campus for the next 20 years. Graphic courtesy of UVU

UVU approves plans to expand 100 acres in new development

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...velopment.html

VINEYARD — Utah Valley University announced expansion plans on Thursday after acquiring 100 acres at the south end of the former Geneva Steel site, which is being developed into a mixed-use community in Vineyard.

The UVU Board of Trustees approved the 100-acre purchase, valued at $20 million, with Geneva's developer who plans to donate half of the value to UVU.

"Utah Valley University is still growing to meet the higher education needs of Utah residents," said Val Peterson, UVU vice president of administration and legislative affairs, in a press release. "We are excited at the prospect of expanding our campus into Geneva. Surroundings are important to learning, and we anticipate a beautiful setting for our students, faculty and staff surrounded by a vibrant community."

The 1,700 acre mixed-use development, which has space for residential, retail, office and industrial tenants on the eastern shore of Utah Lake, is located on land previously occupied by Geneva Steel.

Vineyard Mayor Randy Farnsworth said in a press release that he believes Geneva and the UVU campus expansion will benefit Utah Valley while meshing with Vineyard's vision for growth and improvement.

Last edited by delts145; Jul 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 9:40 PM

Topping off

Saw this in the DesNews. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ining-out.html

"Steel workers bolt the last metal beam in the last building at City Creek as part of a "topping off' celebration in downtown Salt Lake City on Thursday prior to enjoying a free lunch atop the Regent Street parking garage in conjunction with the project's milestone celebration.

August Miller, Deseret News

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 11:41 AM

Southern Metro - Utah Valley

Plan would turn Geneva site into urban area
-
Vineyard would turn 2,055 acres into commercial and residential developments

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...rban-area.html

Jason Olson - The Deseret News

...The Geneva Urban Renewal Project Area Plan would remediate 2,055 acres — most of them at the former Geneva Steel site — for commercial, industrial and residential development. The plan spans 40 years and includes three lake activity areas, several new roads, an intermodal hub, 11.1 million square feet of commercial development and enough residential zoning to build more than 7,500 homes...

Utah Valley University wants to expand onto old steel mill site

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/49...perty.html.csp

(Steve Griffin | The Salt Lake Tribune) View from Vineyard Road in Vinyard looking east towards Orem across the old Geneva Steel property Thursday Jul 29, 2010.

No Utah campus needs added space as badly as Utah Valley University, where enrollment is soaring and open space is being displaced by parking lots and new construction.

And UVU is gambling that a massive mixed-use development proposed for the former Geneva Steel mill in nearby Vineyard, population 150, could rescue the crowded Orem school...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 4:57 PM

Southern Metro - Big-D gets contract for Utah Valley University science building

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/4...ience.html.csp

Big-D Construction of Salt Lake City has been awarded a $30 million contract to build a health sciences education building at Utah Valley University in Orem.

Scheduled for completion in spring 2012, the 160,000-square-foot edifice will have 27 labs, 12 classrooms and a 400-seat auditorium...

Courtesy Utah Valley University A $30 million contract to build Utah Valley University's new science building in Orem was awarded to Big-D Construction of Salt Lake City. A spring 2012 completion date is expected.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Definitely, there will be a lot of pressure to expand the current resorts and add additional ski areas to the metro. Six years from now, I think we'll have seen some major expansion around the Ogden area resorts, and also the Canyons will probably emerge as the largest single resort in the U.S. Rio Tinto will have some extremely deep pockets, given a normal economy, and will likely move in some manner toward a major resort for the Oquirrh Mtn Range. I would love to see Rio Tinto carry the ball on the ski resort, since they have the money and the mind-set to do it right.
Regarding an NFL/MLB team...You know, I'm not sure what they think the tipping point is for the media market. Granted, the Salt Lake City CSA(Wasatch Front & Back) will be one of the largest in the nation before too long, but then we have to calculate areas such as the rest of the State and Southeastern Idaho, Southwestern Wyoming and Eastern Nevada. Southeastern Idaho is expanding rapidly, also the St. George area, but there's such a large amount of empty space out there that never seems to see much growth. I think that in addition to the Metro needing to reach over three million, and the overall State bringing the numbers to over 4 plus million, we will also need a deep pocketed Daddy Warbucks with a Larry Miller type committment to the game and the region. I'd love to see a Dave Checketts type get the NFL ball rolling. Perhaps, a Checketts type would be good at putting a powerful cartel together. If Checketts continues his success with REAL, etc. then we could see him as the man to put it together some day... who knows?
I definitely agree. Interesting you mention the media market. I was doing some research for Wikipedia and found that SLC's TV market is the 31st largest in America. Now this includes places you mentioned, including the whole state, and I'm presume areas like Southeastern Idaho, etc. SLC is already of of areas like Kansas City, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and San Antonio. Here's the most recent list:

http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettr..._hh_by_dma.asp

We definitely need investors though, still. I mean L.A should prove that you don't just get a pro team because of your population size. (no football team)

SoulCapn, thanks for the article link, I hadn't seen that in the RSS feeds. And seeing it was your first post, welcome.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 11:58 AM

Northern Metro - Brigham City

Ground broken for Brigham City LDS temple

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...DS-temple.html

...The new Brigham City Temple will join the historic Box Elder Tabernacle on the opposites side of South Main Street's 200 block. Construction of the temple kicked off Saturday with a groundbreaking that included the release of an architectural rendering of the temple...

...A four-floor building with approximately 36,000 square feet, the Brigham City Temple is patterned after the classic designs of the church's Logan, Manti and Salt Lake temples.

However, the new temple will feature its own unique features —? a limestone exterior and a peach-blossom motif appearing both on the outside walls and planned for the inside design as well...

The official architectural rendering of the LDS Church's Brigham City Temple. (Lds Church)

The new LDS Temple will face eastward and toward the historic Brigham City Tabernacle, which stands directly across Main Street.

By Stephen Conn

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Some new pictures from downtownrising.com

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post

Taken July 2010.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 11:44 AM

Instore Magazine picks Salt Lake’s O.C. Tanner ‘coolest’ jewelry store

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...3-79/story.csp

Instore magazine has picked O.C. Tanner in downtown Salt Lake City as North America’s “coolest” jewelry store.

The magazine, a trade publication based in New York City, picked the restored Tanner location on State Street over 109
other stores that entered to vie for the recognition.

Courtesy of The Utah Heritage Foundation | O.C. Tanner The restoration of the old Salt Lake City
library cost $25 million. The building will now serve as headquarters for retail jeweler O.C. Tanner Co.

Downtown - Newly Restored

O.C. Tanner ~ Restoration & Reuse ~ Photo's, Courtesy of the
Utah Heritage Foundation

http://www.flickr.com/photos/utahher...n/photostream/
before restoration

Last edited by delts145; Mar 7, 2011 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 12:02 PM

Many good signs are emerging this week that the Salt Lake City Metro(Wasatch Front) is heading in the right direction as a future economic leader

Outside Magazine...It's a decidely atypical ski town. But this is (mostly) a good thing, because in SLC Metro(pop. 1,130,293/CSA metro 2,300,000) you can do things such as: get a job at a high-tech firm like eBay, Unisys, or 3M; afford a nice home (median price, $250K); see Jazz games; fly direct to Paris; or just head fifteen minutes to a half-hour up the canyons to Park City, Deer Valley, The Canyons, Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton, 7 of the best ski resorts on the planet.

Business Facilities notes Utah's quality of life, education climate

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...n-climate.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah is at the top or near it in several categories of a new annual ranking of best places to do business.

"Across all of our key rankings categories, Utah clearly exhibited the most dramatic improvement of any state in the nation," Jack Rogers, editor in chief of the New Jersey-based Business Facilities magazine, said in a news release highlighting its Rankings Report...

Passenger numbers, fares are up at SLC International Airport

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...-salt.html.csp

...“During the deepest part of the economic downturn, passenger numbers dipped 14 percent in one month. So this increase is significant due to the fact that we had to make up that much of a decrease over time to get into positive numbers,” airport spokeswoman Barbara Gann said Friday...

...“The Salt Lake City hub continues to perform very well and is a critical part of our network,” Landers said...

Outdoor Retailer expo sold out and thriving

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-thriving.html

..."Every nook and cranny the convention center could sell us is filled," said Maura Lansford, an expo spokeswoman. "The show is healthy. Our numbers are up, and we couldn't be happier."...

Kiplinger ranks Salt Lake City among best places for young adults

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ng-adults.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's capital is one of the 10 best places for young adults to live, according to Kiplinger.com.

The website's "10 Great Cities for Young Adults" used youth-friendly factors such as large percentages of people under age 35, cost of living, rental costs, culture, nightlife and average commute to determine which U.S. cities offer the best settling ground for 20-somethings...

Economic indicator shows growth in Utah

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...h-in-Utah.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah and neighbors Colorado and Wyoming are showing economic growth and projections that will continue, according to the Mountain States Leading Economic Indicator...

...and more exciting business news for Salt Lake City and St. George this morning...
Utah’s SkyWest creates regional dynamo

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...llion.html.csp

SkyWest Inc. has agreed to buy ExpressJet Holdings, a deal that fuses two of the largest regional carriers and forges the biggest fleet of airplanes in the country...

Last edited by delts145; Aug 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Northern Metro - Brigham City

Ground broken for Brigham City LDS temple

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...DS-temple.html

...The new Brigham City Temple will join the historic Box Elder Tabernacle on the opposites side of South Main Street's 200 block. Construction of the temple kicked off Saturday with a groundbreaking that included the release of an architectural rendering of the temple...

...A four-floor building with approximately 36,000 square feet, the Brigham City Temple is patterned after the classic designs of the church's Logan, Manti and Salt Lake temples.

However, the new temple will feature its own unique features —? a limestone exterior and a peach-blossom motif appearing both on the outside walls and planned for the inside design as well...

The official architectural rendering of the LDS Church's Brigham City Temple. (Lds Church)

The new LDS Temple will face eastward and toward the historic Brigham City Tabernacle, which stands directly across Main Street.

By Stephen Conn

Why thank you very much! JK

Looks pretty

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I only took two photos while I was on my tour because I didn't want to feel like a stupid tourist or anything, afterall I was invited by my friend and was simply happy to be there.

It was interesting how many of the brokers and realtors had the same comment about the view of temple square. When walking into one north facing unit in Richards Court East, several commented about "I don't care what religion you are, that is just an absolutely magnificent and unbelievable view"

Sorry these are not the ones where the initial comment was made, but none the less the views are incredible.

The views from the southern units have an outstanding view of the CBD and the clustering of buildings.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 10:14 AM

...The national drumbeat of accolades, the top rankings in the 'best of lists', and national expansions and
relocations is getting louder by the week for Salt Lake City and it's surrounding CSA...

...A downtown in the midst of a dramatic tranformation

By T-Mac

Last edited by delts145; Sep 3, 2010 at 10:56 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 10:46 AM

Major economic announcements continue for Salt Lake City and it's Metro

Adobe Systems plans new technology campus...to bring 1,000-plus jobs to Utah

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...s-to-Utah.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Adobe announced Thursday that Utah is a big part of its future as the site of a new technology center amounts to about a $1.6 billion deal — big enough that Gov. Gary Herbert held a news conference to announce it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
So Adobe is basically going to build a new headquarters for Omniture, as well as expand it significantly. As of now, nobody knows where they are going to build, weather that be Salt Lake County, or Utah County. I think UC would have the edge, with much of the current workforce living in the area, but Salt Lake also has many pros as well. Perhaps Wasatch can keep us updated to any 'speculation' he hears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
I know a fair amount about this situation.

The Omniture name has gone the way of the buffalo as of last month as Adobe moved into phase 2 of acquisition/company integration. Their current office building has taken the Omniture signs off and replaced them with Adobe signs.

The new building/campus will be in the area of 230K sq. ft and will eventually house 1800 - 2000 workers from my understanding. There are about 3 locations that they are evaluating at Thxgiving point and Bluffdale/Draper for the new building. Either way it will be on one side of the Point of the Mountain or the other. If it ends up in SL County, it will be on the extreme south end.

The reason why is because 70% of the employees live in UC and just 30% in SL County. My guess is that it ends up at Thxgiving point so it doesnt inconvenience the large UC pool of workers. There was a rumor that they had their eye on the piece of land directly west of Cabela's but still on the East side of I-15. One key is that they want to keep it right next to mass transit lines. It will also be a LEED certified office building.

Once complete Adobe will move a lot of their employees from San Jose to the Utah campus as well as hire new within the 1,000 new jobs they expect to create over the next decade.
also making a major move to the Metro...
Twitter bringing major expansion to Utah -
Officials extol Twitter's decision as sign of Utah's tech strength

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-strength.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Twitter profiles are going crazy over the news that a custom data center for the company will be built in Utah...

...The Governor's Office of Economic Development, on the other hand, knew of the deal ahead of time, according to GOED Executive Director Spencer Eccles.

"We're very excited that Twitter's coming, but we're not surprised," he said. "This is the first data center that Twitter will own. It clearly demonstrates their commitment to the state of Utah and the viability of the company."...

Major Insurance Customer service center to hire 500 people in Salt Lake area

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...Lake-area.html

SALT LAKE CITY — 3C/CustomerContactChannels plans to open a center customers can call for information about their health insurance that will bring 500 new jobs to the Salt Lake area...

Last edited by delts145; Aug 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 10:48 AM

Downtown Construction - City Creek, East side of Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

This cleaned up nicely:

Historic Z.C.M.I 19th Century facade emerging. Soon to become the new regional flagship of Macy's

By John Martin

Last edited by delts145; Aug 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 10:21 AM

...Contd...Downtown, City Creek Center

Quote:

West side of Main

Richard's Street

The Promontory

By John Martin

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 10:44 AM

Downtown Continued - The Regent Tower, Regent Street and First South Street

Quote:
The Regent Residential Tower abutting First South Street

Looking north up what will become the newly resurrected Regent Street

By John Martin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations