HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:44 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Great, another clueless suburbanite with 10 posts.

Sounds like they need to get rid of parking in and around downtown in order to encourage people to take public transportation instead.

And if 23,000 jobs adds 20,000 cars on the Kennedy, then it sounds like those jobs are being filled by absolute fucking idiots.
The problem is, he’s absolutely correct if Lincoln Yards isn’t well served by mass transit.

You’re not an idiot driving to a job if you have no other meaningful way to get there.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 3:00 PM

^ Exactly! The true idiots in this situation is the city not investing in a transit plan to connect Lincoln Yards. If the city wants to replicate the success of South Lake Union, then the only effective transit option w/o building a new subway is to have an Ashland, Armitage, North, & Elston BRT + frequent UP-N/NW with free transfer to the CTA.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 9:16 PM
TL;DR

There’s lots of ways to skin the cat. I’d argue that only an Armitage BRT and an Ashland BRT are needed for LY, plus the already planned transitway to downtown. If the transitway is a busway, then add an Elston bus (regular bus, not BRT) that can use the transitway south of Cortland.

Long term Metra can be part of the solution as well, but right now the city has no leverage over Metra to run more service to city destinations.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 11:46 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Devlin View Post
According to an article in Forbes last month, the Kennedy is the second most congested highway in the country. Here’s the top five:

1. New York City: Cross Bronx Expressway from Bruckner Expressway to Trans Manhattan Expressway;
2. Chicago: I-94/I-90 from I-55 to I-294 (the Kennedy);
3. Chicago: I-290 from I-94 to I-294 (the Eisenhower);
4. Los Angeles: I-10 from I-405 to I-110;
5. Pittsburgh: I-376 from I-79 to Pennsylvania Turnpike;

Lincoln Yards will make the congestion significantly worse. Based on the 6,000 residential units and 23,000 jobs planned for Lincoln Yards, I’d expect it to add around 20,000 thousand cars on the Kennedy every day. With most of the increase during the morning and evening rush hours.

Will this make the Kennedy the most congested highway in the country? I don’t know. But the people who should be looking at this are the City Planning Dept and/or the City Dept of Transportation. And they don’t seem to want to. Because it’s been decided that this project needs to be approved before the Mayor leaves office in a month. And if you want to get it approved, you can’t look at the negatives.

So what we’ve got is a project where Sterling Bay will make hundreds of millions of dollars and people who drive on the Kennedy or in Lincoln Park are fucked.

God, this is disgusting.
The Kennedy is an absolute clusterf*ck, but Lincoln Yards won't have a huge impact one way or another on it, honestly. The biggest issue is lack of coherent mass transit, along with a complicated mess of non-grid street intersections in the area (mainly due to the river, of course, but also streets such as Elston.) Lincoln Yards CAN be successful, but there are definitely significant infrastructure improvements that must be made in order to make it happen. Nice thing is, these improvements will help everyone getting through the area, not just Sterling Bay.

Aaron (Glowrock)
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 5:01 PM

Saw this in a Crain's article today. I've seen this mentioned a few times on Crain's, but not really anywhere else aside from wish-casting. Does anyone know of any actual movement on a light rail?:

Quote:
The developer plans to extend the nearby 606 bike trail to the site, build new roads and bridges, and eventually develop a multimodal Metra station and part of a light rail line that would run along the river between the development and Ogilvie Transportation Center.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 10:58 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Saw this in a Crain's article today. I've seen this mentioned a few times on Crain's, but not really anywhere else aside from wish-casting. Does anyone know of any actual movement on a light rail?:
No. It’s as real as Elon Musk’s tunnel to O’Hare.

Lincoln Yards will have plenty of bike racks though, for sure.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 11:16 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
There is money set aside in the Lincoln Yards TIF spending plan to build part of a transitway. Busway vs light rail has not yet been decided, but most likely it will be a busway so that buses can fan out to other transit connections at each end. The actual mode is pretty much irrelevant for top-level planning - a bus and a streetcar are pretty much interchangeable in all respects except the track and power system. Also, a streetcar line can be designed so that buses can share the right-of-way, as in Portland's Tilikum Crossing or Seattle's transit tunnel.

Note that this only partial funding covering some portion of the transitway near the Lincoln Yards site, the city will need to come up with money to build the rest of the transitway south of the Lincoln Yards site. This might come from other TIF districts and will probably rely on other developer contributions from other large projects.

In one sense it is vaporware - there has been no public planning process or detailed plans released. But because the city is so helpless at actually funding and building transit projects, in a different sense this might actually be more concrete than many other transit proposals since it will be funded and constructed by developers who stand to benefit from the improved access.

It appears that some detailed engineering is going on behind the scenes, not just on the transitway but also on speeding up the existing bus routes running through the North Branch Corridor:
http://www.itsmidwest.org/2018-Annua...als_Rinnan.pdf

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 18, 2019 at 11:29 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development