HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Today, 2:01 PM

Fantastic discovery FW!

I bet the two torn segments are the left and right ends of a panorama. .....*maniacally searches for middle segment*

Thanks for figuing out the location of the 1973 Westwood slide, BillinGlendale. You have eased my combobulation.

Old Posted Today, 2:14 PM

Here is an exquisite, hand-colored, [magic lantern] slide of West Lake Park. [c.1890s?]

Ebay

I was going to ask about the light pole that the young lady in yellow is leaning against......oh never mind. (now I see it extends up into the tree)

THIS ONE

detail

My question was going to be about the under-sized globe and the too-thick pole. *schedules eye appointment*

I also thought the lad, just to the left of the tree, was leaning against a monolithic slab like the one in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. *schedules psychiatric care*

Of course, it's a tree. ........... (or is it? I see a small patch of sky above it)

If it is a tree, it's much older than any of the other trees in the park.

What do you think odinthor?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Today at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Today, 2:46 PM

Early Century City [c.1963]

I wonder if the clump of trees at lower left, with the diagonal walkway going through it, was a park? ... It seems such a waste to lose the trees to construction.

Flickr

Does anyone remember a park at that corner?

*The east west street is Santa Monica Blvd. (I'm not sure of the name of the north-south street)
The other north-south street, with the missing segment, is 'Avenue of the Stars'.

I am very arboreal this weekend.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Today at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Today, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Here is an exquisite, hand-colored, [magic lantern] slide of West Lake Park. [c.1890s?]

Ebay
What a great slide e_r. It reminds me a little of Georges Seurat's 'Un Dimanche Après-midi à L'Île de la Grande Jatte' ('A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte'), which dates from about the same time (1884-86).

www.widewalls.ch

For people around my age, this is the painting which captures Cameron's attention in 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'.

Old Posted Today, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

[...]

detail

My question was going to be about the under-sized globe and the too-thick pole. *schedules eye appointment*

I also thought the lad, just to the left of the tree, was leaning against a monolithic slab like the one in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. *schedules psychiatric care*

Of course, it's a tree. ........... (or is it? I see a small patch of sky above it)

If it is a tree, it's much older than any of the other trees in the park.

What do you think odinthor?

[...]
Hmmmmm, e_r . . . though admittedly it does seem rather squarish and flat, I'm seeing quite a few Eucalyptus trees in the park, and they grow fast and (some species) big. I vote for the lad's tree being a big, happy, stout Eucalyptus . . . unless it's a rather tall plinth for some statue or sculpture: There seems to be something similar off to the right (sunlight beaming upon it) in the image detail.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos