HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 7:16 PM

Bald eagle would be super rare around here. Only time I saw them in them in the wild was a pair circling around in the sky over me while I was fishing Belwood Lake not far from Guelph. They were doing their eagle scream too, one of the most beautiful sounds you can hear in nature.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^^Wow, nice sighting! Never seen a snowy owl in Southern Ontario.
I ride my bike at Tommy Thompson park all the time. They return every year late fall. I've been lucky enough to have seen them several times now. As for bald eagles you can't beat the pacific coast for numbers but I have seen them in Ontario. One time funny enough on Eagle Lake late October one year https://www.google.com/maps/@45.8135...5200314,13.58z . The other time was in Toronto early fall there were about 20 of them circling high up above Liberty Village. They must have been migrating but I had never seen them anywhere near the city before. Falcons I see all the time, anybody in Toronto that wants to see one or more next time you see the pigeons flying around in large groups it's generally when they are being hunted by these birds. They tend to work in pairs or more.

Where I always end up in BC (Sechelt) the Eagles act more like seaguls then birds of prey. the best place to find them is at the dump. Also for such a majestic looking bird they have a really funny sounding way of communicating.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:43 AM

Yeah, Bald Eagles are a rare sight in Southern Ontario. If you're an avid birder, you might catch a few passing through during their migration but permanent residents are few and far between. One exception is Cootes Paradise in Hamilton. I did see a juvenile a couple years back while paddling through the marsh but they're so finicky and sensitive that I won't hold my breath for what you see on the West Coast.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:54 AM

^Osprey and Peregrines have also made a nice comeback in the Greater Hamilton Area. And even a few pelicans have started calling Hamilton home.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:36 PM

There has been a lot of talk in Ontario about the Greenbelt surrounding the Golden Horseshoe. It was under threat of the PC Government but they've backed off their threatening stance thankfully. Basically the Greenbelt protects rural farmland, forests, wetlands, etc from the threat of development. It serves an important function for wildlife as with the benefits of cleaning our air and water. Some of the best farmland in the country is contained in the Greenbelt where many fruits and veggies are grown.

Fall Colours !!!
by Peter Lu, on Flickr

Sky over Wine Country
by Ort Baldauf, on Flickr

One Of Two White Tail Deer Spotted In The Rouge This Day, Toronto, July 16 2009
by Karsten Berger, on Flickr

20181008_095459
by Jim Jimmy, on Flickr

[

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 2:15 PM

The Greenbelt is a critical function of Southern Ontario. It's going to be an ongoing battle to save it from development. It's really no ones fault, the area is growing. No one really wants to see it developed but at the same time the GTA is a growing place and there is only so much infill you can build.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 4:17 PM

Ontario already has too many people, we should encourage them to move to Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

I would also like to see a program that encourages reverting farmland to nature. I'm a huge supporter of agriculture, but the trend now is to plow under orchards and cash crops so mega farms can grow more corn and soybeans with engineered seeds/fertilizer/pesticide system that rape the land.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 11:00 AM

Makes me wonder what would've happened had people gave a damm about the environment back in the day. I'd imagine we would have a green belt of sorts across the whole of southern Ontario, much like the one around Toronto, with off shoots to the Great Lakes, so a piece would connect with Point Pelee and other environmental important areas around the lakes.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 8:07 PM
Winnipeg

Lol would building a world-class tropical garden which is green for the whole hear be counted as increasing diversity?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Lol would building a world-class tropical garden which is green for the whole hear be counted as increasing diversity?
Generally you want diversity of native plants but I'm interested to see what you're talking about.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 2:37 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Generally you want diversity of native plants but I'm interested to see what you're talking about.
It’s the Canada’s Diversity Garden currently under construction in Winnipeg, expected to be finished in 2020 or 2021, can’t remember exactly which year.

Major benefit is that it will become one of the best attractions in Winnipeg and make the winter much less miserable, but I bet the admission won’t be free, it’s a huge investment with high-tech materials. I heard that a private investor immediately fell in love with the project during the public presentation and donated 2 million for it

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The national bird of dockyards worldwide!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:13 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Since when has pizza become the favorite food of them

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Since when has pizza become the favorite food of them
Have you ever been to your local garbage dump? Those birds will eat anything and everything!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:24 PM

This guy was raiding my bird feeder this morning. He actually knocked it right out of the tree and then growled at it, lol.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:25 PM

Always get a kick out of Darlington Provincial Park and its location. The 401 and CN mainline run directly adjacent, Darlington Nuclear plant and an incinerator are next door, GM Canada headquarters to the west, and some suburbia creeping in. There it is though, provided a slice of habitat.

Darlington Nuclear Generating Station
by Stephen Heard, on Flickr

0131002_170900
by EricP2013, on Flickr

Least Sandpipers on the Beach
by praja38, on Flickr

Piping Plover on the Run
by praja38, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 5:42 PM

Three observations I've made for wildlife. Well if you include insects in wildlife. What have you noticed?

The bee or wasp or whatever they are population exploded. Over the past 1.5 months I can't recall being harassed by so many in my hard. I've executed a dozen of them over the past 4 weeks.

1.5 to 2 months ago up north was most mosquitoes I can recall seeing. Smacked the fuck out of so many at the cottage it was enough to feed the baby house wrens in the birdhouse on the deck for the rest of the summer. I would leave them on the "porch" of the birdhouse and the mama wren would pick them up and feed them to her young.

Never have I seen so many chipmunks in my yard at home and at the cottage. These guys I don't mind as they are cute, but I do know someone that would kill them with rat traps in his vegetable garden.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 5:48 PM

Some observations I've made from this summer. What have you noticed?

Bees or wasps or whatever. So many of them. More than I can remember harassing me in my yard. The swatter is getting good use. This is over the past 6 weeks or so.

Mosquitoes were crazy up north the first half of the summer. I executed dozens of them. And I was leaving them on the birdhouse on the deck where annually some house wrens build their nest. Mama wren would pick them up and feed to the babies. So it worked out for them.

Never have I see so many chipmunks in my yard at home and at the cottage.

Also I hadn't seen a possum, alive or road kill, in a few years. Then over the past week I've seen two of them as road kill in rural Milton.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 7:06 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Mosquitoes were crazy up north the first half of the summer. I executed dozens of them.
Winnipegger reading this ... you mean, like, per minute?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada