HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:26 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
No im a grown adult thank you very much. Also I was born and raised in the heart of the city of Portland which has now been gentrified. Which I don't mind at all my family and I were fortunate enough to work hard all our lives no we see the benefits of rising property values.

It seems like your the actual newbie to my beautiful city. Welcome. All I want is more southwater front tall towers they originally built. It can still be Portland enough to make everybody happy. You keep saying financial sense. Have you read these reports on the economy here? It's booming. If not now when? It's a legitimate question
I wouldn't call someone a newbie to Portland if they moved here in the 90s....

Just because the economy is booming now, doesn't mean it will be booming in 3-5 years, and when a developer is investing millions, they want to make sure it is going to pay out for them. So yes, it is purely financial, you aren't going to see developers take a risk that could bankrupt them if it isn't necessary.

I would love a 750ft tower in downtown Portland, but I don't have the funds to build something like that, nor can I expect a developer to take a risk like that if they don't feel it is right. So of course you want to see a bunch of 30+ towers going up all over Portland, but that doesn't mean developers want to take the risk to pay for that.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:28 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
It seems like your the actual newbie to my beautiful city.
I've been here nearly 20 years.

Quote:
You keep saying financial sense. Have you read these reports on the economy here? It's booming. If not now when? It's a legitimate question
It's a legitimate question with zero thought.

Do you understand how complicated the process of getting something built is? Think about it logically. Pick a lot that should be redeveloped. How about the parking lot block at SW 10th & Washington.

Seriously. Put some thought into what it would take to get a tower built there. Think about what it would take to buy the block. Think of something that would make financial sense to build - something that would turn enough of a profit to make the project worthwhile. Think about the process of finding funding to build it. Think about the process of getting approved whatever the firm you hired designed. Think about the fact that height increases costs. Are you building apartments? Height increases the cost to rent them. Condos? Height increases the cost to buy them. What's the market like at those price points? Yeah, yeah, we all know Portland is facing a housing crunch, but high end units are having trouble leasing because that's not where the demand is. So, maybe 50 stories of apartments or condos won't pencil out. How about a hotel? Please. We're seeing so many hotels go up right now that by the time your project even breaks down the market could be saturated. Fine. Maybe you'll build an office tower. Height increases the cost you'll have to lease at. What's the market like for high end office space? What about ground floor retail? What's the market like? What has you convinced you can lease the space at the prices you'll need to ask when we've already got plenty of available retail spaces available? Can you get financing from banks to build it?

I've only scratched the surface here.

Think about how much time all of that planning and construction will take, and then think about how we've got a yellow haired orange spray tanned maniac in the white house. How can anyone even begin to guess what will happen if/when he gets impeached? ...or what happens to the economy if he doesn't? What if he tries to get us into a war with North Korea? What would THAT do to the economy? What if the Syria situation turns ugly? What if Trump gets us into a trade war with China? Good grief, man, there are so many variables, any of which could crater the economy enough to bring a project to a standstill. You DO remember the years when PAW was stalled as a hole in the ground, right? You think there weren't costs incurred during the standstill?

I've only scratched the surface here.

Saying developers are "chicken" or that Portland doesn't like whatever the heck it is you dream of shows a total lack of understanding of the bare bones basics.

Are you aware that we've got a shortage of labor to even build right now? Sky3 on Jefferson is over a decade late and it's still not done. So many other projects completely fell through. Most have been forgotten. The Delano was one I really wanted to see happen. Nope.

The idea that Portland doesn't like tall and that developers are chicken... it's a middle school understanding of the way the world works, which is why I assumed you're a kid.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:52 PM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/newr...reply&t=121381

Quote:
5 things to know today, including another $3M Classic Wines Auction fundraise
By Andy Giegerich – Digital Managing Editor, Portland Business Journal
Mar 20, 2018, 7:53am PDT Updated an hour ago

That sinking feeling

Donald Trump's tariffs remain one of the talks of the business world. And what the business world is saying isn't good.

The PBJ's Clare Duffy writes that footwear companies, including the Portland mainstays, wrote Trump detailing how the measures will make their tasks much, much tougher.

And, Jon Bell noted that the tariffs on steel and aluminum, "expected to take effect later this week, could hit Portland's construction and development scene hard and lead to some projects never seeing the light of day."

Backing up here a bit, here's how Clare nutshells the proposal: the Trump administration is reportedly considering increasing tariffs on more than $60 billion of imported products from China, including information technology, telecommunications and consumer goods. It is part of a larger response to a finding by the U.S. government that China violated intellectual property rules.

"I think we are going to see deals start to die and get put on hold," Tom DiChiara, principal with Cairn Pacific, the Portland development firm behind high-profile projects in the Con-Way District and elsewhere, told Jon.

The tariffs, as initially announced, would hit 25 percent on steel and 10 percent on aluminum. Canada and Mexico would be exempt; Canada's the U.S.'s biggest source of steel imported into the U.S.
...(continues)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 10:22 PM

($) https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...s-hopeful.html

Quote:
Portland apartment construction plunges – but the outlook is hopeful
Published: Mar. 06, 2022, 7:33 a.m.
By Mike Rogoway | The Oregonian/OregonLive
This is Oregon Insight, The Oregonian’s weekly look at the numbers behind the state’s economy. View past installments here.

The number of apartments under construction in the Portland area fell spectacularly during the pandemic, dropping by 55% across the metro region to the lowest point in a decade.

In the fourth quarter of last year, commercial real estate firm CoStar counted just 4,800 apartments under construction across the four counties around Portland. That’s down from around 12,000 as recently as the start of 2020.

That steep decline sounds awful, given that the region is already suffering a severe housing shortage that has produced rising rents, straining household budgets while forcing others onto the streets. But Michael Wilkerson, director of analytics at Portland research firm ECONorthwest, said the construction pipeline is much healthier than those numbers suggest.

“Although it’s down by more than half, when I look at the data I see a stabilization now,” Wilkerson said.

Portland’s “inclusionary housing” policy required developers to set aside apartments in large developments for low-income tenants, reducing investors’ return on their money. (The policy offers density bonuses and tax exemptions to partially offset the costs.) Then Portland was hit by a national wave of bad publicity following the unrest downturn during the summer of 2020, and the ongoing spike in deadly shootings and homelessness.

While those issues remain in play, Wilkerson said developers are ultimately focused on the bottom line. And with rents rising steeply, and apartment vacancy rates very low, he said it’s clear there’s plenty of money to be made in Portland.

“We’re basically starting a new cycle,” Wilkerson said. Portland is again fielding hundreds of permitting requests each month, suggesting that the city is on pace to add between 4,000 and 5,000 apartments on an annual basis.
...(continue$)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 1:47 AM

Anyone have insight into what the the recent LCDC killing of parking mandates will do for future development?

From BikePortland: "5 things that might happen now that Oregon just slashed parking mandates"
https://bikeportland.org/2022/07/22/...andates-360154

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 3:34 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...-be-brief.html

Quote:
Portland apartment construction surges, but the rebound may be brief
Published: Oct. 21, 2022, 7:04 a.m.
By Mike Rogoway | The Oregonian/OregonLive

The Portland area had more than 8,300 apartments under construction in the summer, a 34% increase from a year earlier and the biggest annual percentage increase since 2015.

The rate of increase was even faster in the Portland city limits, according to the latest data from commercial real estate firm CoStar, with apartments in progress up 41% to nearly 4,300.

It’s a robust turnaround from a steep decline that began back in 2018 and accelerated during the pandemic. The prospect of additional apartments opening up will help address the region’s chronic housing shortage and rising rents.

But it’s not likely to last.

These new apartments have been in the pipeline for years, dating back to a period when rents were soaring and interest rates were low. That was a powerful incentive for developers to build and collect a quick return on inexpensive loans.

Now, with inflation soaring, the Federal Reserve is rapidly hiking interest rates to put a cap on prices. As borrowing becomes more expensive, so does the cost of building. That reduces the chances developers would see a payback on new apartments.
...(continues)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 7:24 PM

Rental market analysts name Portland among most popular cities for 2024
by: Jashayla Pettigrew

Posted: Jan 16, 2024 / 12:26 PM PST

Atlanta is projected to be the hottest rental market for the year

Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Portland is projected to be one of the top rental markets of 2024.

National rental listing platform RentCafe used data from 2023 to determine which cities will continue to be hot spots for renters this year, and the Rose City took the No. 8 spot.

Last year, the city’s available listings on the website dropped by 3% — just as the search for rentals increased by 24%. Analysts also reported that RentCafe users “favorited” double the amount of Portland listings in 2023 compared to the previous year.

“Portland may have its quirkiness, but it also has renter appeal…” researchers said. “One of the most appreciated aspects about living in Portland is its relaxed pace combined with its food and beverage culture. In the same way, its balanced combination of entertainment and diverse job opportunities helped the city claim a spot in our top 30 throughout last year.”

On the West Coast, Portland was the second-hottest rental market, while the neighboring city of Vancouver claimed the seventh spot. Denver was ranked at No. 1 in the region.
continues ... https://www.koin.com/local/rental-ma...No.%208%20spot.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post

Interesting metric/inputs. KC has 2 of the top 10 cities on this list (is it the Taylor Swift effect). What is this site?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 7:19 PM

From the Willamette Week:

Quote:
New Report on Downtown Office Vacancy Includes Some Rays of Hope
More renters are checking out space and new supply is drying up.
By Nigel Jaquiss
January 16, 2024 at 4:39 pm PST

One of the nation’s leading commercial real estate brokerage firms sees some positive signs in the downtown Portland office market.

Jones Lang LaSalle released a research report on the Portland market Jan. 11, taking a look at activity in the fourth quarter of 2023. The report, written by senior research analyst Galen Miller, says more potential renters are looking for space.

“Overall leasing volume held steady in Q4 as the market saw a noticeable increase in tour activity,” the report says. “Decision-makers, who opted for short-term renewals from 2020 to 2022, are now showing more confidence in making long-term commitments for their office space needs, driving increased activity.”

The strongest interest remains at the high end of the market. “Tenants in older Class A space are moving to newer Class A/Trophy buildings,” the report notes. “Downtown tenants have become more focused on the Pearl District, West End and South End, while steering away from Old Town and the North End. When considering buildings in the urban core, safety, amenities and parking remain top priorities for occupiers.”

While the downtown vacancy rate, which Jones Lang LaSalle pegs at just over 20%, remains high, there are a couple of reasons for optimism. First, the amount of new office space coming to market slowed markedly in the fourth quarter (blue bar, below).
...(continues)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Interesting metric/inputs. KC has 2 of the top 10 cities on this list (is it the Taylor Swift effect). What is this site?
RentCafe is the site, there’s a link in the beginning of the article.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 10:24 PM
A before E

Quote:
Downtown tenants have become more focused on the Pearl District, West End and South End, while steering away from Old Town and the North End.
This basically sums up where the best recovering parts of downtown will be and the parts that will be lagging behind. Also the parts that will be lagging behind are the same parts that people who hate Portland will use as their example that the downtown is a cesspool and full of crime, drugs, and homeless.

Quote:

This is what I was expecting to happen as we as a society move on from the pandemic. Eventually people are going to want to go back to the cities that have the best social environments and Portland has always been at the top of its game in this category. So with that, I wouldn't be surprised to see another building boom coming in the near future for Portland as the demand for more housing increases. Which I am hopeful that will spill over into surrounding areas because Milwaukie has about a half dozen spots in its little downtown that would be ideal for new mixed use housing developments, which would be awesome because I could walk to all of that.

Also on a side note, I get the need for this site to provide ad space to make money to keep it running but does the ads really need to showcase giant breasted women? While the visual is nice, it doesn't help when my wife walks in the room as I am talking about architecture and city stuff with women with giant boobs flashing on the screen.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 2:39 PM

Quote:
RentCafe is the site, there’s a link in the beginning of the article.
Sorry, I meant what is RentCafe? Never heard of it. Is it a clickbait type of site?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Also on a side note, I get the need for this site to provide ad space to make money to keep it running but does the ads really need to showcase giant breasted women? While the visual is nice, it doesn't help when my wife walks in the room as I am talking about architecture and city stuff with women with giant boobs flashing on the screen.
Goodness...I use an adblocker. I don't see anything like that.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Lol, it's been tracking your web-traffic and giving you targetted ads, based on the other websites you visit.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 10:32 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Lol, it's been tracking your web-traffic and giving you targetted ads, based on the other websites you visit.
I don't think it does because I definitely do go to or use Temu. Heck, all the ads that I see on here are stuff I either don't go to or never heard of.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Sorry, I meant what is RentCafe? Never heard of it. Is it a clickbait type of site?
I really don’t know, just came across the article in my news feed but check out their website. Just seems like a Redfin or something?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I don't think it does because I definitely do go to or use Temu. Heck, all the ads that I see on here are stuff I either don't go to or never heard of.
I was just giving you a hard time. I get bombarded by temu ads as well and I've never visiting their website or downloaded their ap.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 11:59 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I was just giving you a hard time. I get bombarded by temu ads as well and I've never visiting their website or downloaded their ap.
No worries, it has to be one of the weirdest sites, they literally sell every random thing and have such odd advertisements. Also, I am pretty sure I turned off a lot of my personalization tracking years ago on my computer so it has no idea how to advertise to me, so I tend to get a lot of random things....not sure that is better.

On a side note, I did finally download an ad blocker that has been helping on a lot of sites.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 4:45 PM

Not to keep straying off topic, but the ad thing is interesting. I just looked around the page and see adds for REI, Rocket Mortgage, Quantum Fiber, the Seattle Opera, and a resort in Hawaii. They are all pretty well related to my recent internet usage. Annoying yes (but also I'm not paying for this so what do I expect) but nothing too weird on my end.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics