HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Sky One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
You mean this article? They used the wrong renderings, identified the towers as 48-stories under the image, but their article says two 45-storey towers... Someone's not good at reporting!
It's the Ottawa SUN... need we say more!?!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 7:04 PM

I'm just guessing but with 1100+ condos to sell and a slow (cautious?) builder I expect this to be a very, very long investment for buyers.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:56 PM
National Capital Region

Approved

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 12:23 AM

:o

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 2:05 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The Sky's OK with Ottawa city council

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 25, 2015, Last Updated: February 25, 2015 6:19 PM EST

City council approved a plan on Wednesday to build Ottawa’s tallest building.

Richcraft proposes to build a trio of towers at 845 Carling Ave., just west of Preston Street. The tallest, at 55 storeys, will soar over Dow’s Lake and Little Italy, as will a second tower at 45 storeys. A third tower is slated to be 18 storeys.

Designed by Toronto architects Graziani and Corazza, the project would have a total of 1,120 units, ground floor commercial space, and a large plaza accessible to the public.

In exchange for allowing the added height and density beyond levels permitted by the current zoning, the city will receive nearly $3.4 million from the developer for “community benefits.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...a-city-council

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 4:21 AM

And now the lonnnnng lonnnnng waiting game until first shovel hits the ground. I'm going to guess June 2020 for the 55 Story tower.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 2:47 PM

WOW. This is happening. In Ottawa. Really? I am in pleasant dis-belief right now.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 3:18 PM

Lol, I hate how long it is from approval to ground breaking. Could be one year could be ten. If a developer is unable to develop a property in a timely fashion, why should they be allowed to buy it, bulldoze it and let it sit growing as a wasteland. I sure hope this starts before 2020 Harley.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 4:57 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
Lol, I hate how long it is from approval to ground breaking. Could be one year could be ten. If a developer is unable to develop a property in a timely fashion, why should they be allowed to buy it, bulldoze it and let it sit growing as a wasteland. I sure hope this starts before 2020 Harley.
I agree, but unfortunately the City has no control over this unless it is a heritage building or contains residential units.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 5:19 PM

I would guess that the timing of Sky will depend on how well the neighbouring Icon does. All things considered I can see construction on the Sky getting underway soon after the Icon is complete and buyers start looking at Little Italy as the hot new neighbourhood it's about to become. 2019 or 2020 is probably the best we can hope for.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 5:41 PM

Ya, I don't think Sky will start until after Icon is mostly sold out, whenever that will be.

I was looking at it on Google Maps and the total area of the Sky parcel is actually quite big... enough to fit an urban size grocery store (like Loblaws on Rideau), if there was a retail podium that took up the entire lot and the three towers each rose up separately from it. Wonder if Richcraft will go for this... the area is quite in need of a grocery store.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 6:59 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Ya, I don't think Sky will start until after Icon is mostly sold out, whenever that will be.
It would actually be more strategic for Richcraft to start pre-selling ASAP to have the possibility of starting sooner and preying on Icon's potential sales. This could end up being a replay of the Gallerias vs. Claridge Plazas but with the tables turned because this time Richcraft has the more visible product closer to the O-Train and more units to sell.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:

I was looking at it on Google Maps and the total area of the Sky parcel is actually quite big... enough to fit an urban size grocery store (like Loblaws on Rideau), if there was a retail podium that took up the entire lot and the three towers each rose up separately from it. Wonder if Richcraft will go for this... the area is quite in need of a grocery store.
Something like this at Toronto's Madison Condos on Eglington at Younge:

image from urbantoronto

Last edited by MountainView; Feb 26, 2015 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 7:43 PM

Quote:

Im pretty sure that the open space there is going to be a public plaza, likely not an elevated plaza. However that would be awesome, if they built a retail podium, two or three levels, post-haste with a groceria and a ...shoppers... and rough in for the three towers to be built in a 'phase two' type construction. And use the roof of the retail podium as a public plaza, perhaps with mini cafes on the edge of the roof selling italian coffees and baked goods. Could be sick... at least what my mind is picturing.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
Im pretty sure that the open space there is going to be a public plaza, likely not an elevated plaza. However that would be awesome, if they built a retail podium, two or three levels, post-haste with a groceria and a ...shoppers... and rough in for the three towers to be built in a 'phase two' type construction. And use the roof of the retail podium as a public plaza, perhaps with mini cafes on the edge of the roof selling italian coffees and baked goods. Could be sick... at least what my mind is picturing.
Not sure how much use a public plaza on the third floor would get. It might be a case of out of sight, out of mind. No doubt people in the buildings would use it, but I kind of doubt that too many passers-by would hike up the stairs to get to a plaza.

In any event, their current approvals wouldn't allow for something like that.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
It would actually be more strategic for Richcraft to start pre-selling ASAP to have the possibility of starting sooner and preying on Icon's potential sales. This could end up being a replay of the Gallerias vs. Claridge Plazas but with the tables turned because this time Richcraft has the more visible product closer to the O-Train and more units to sell.
I also think that it will get built sooner than expected. It's more about creating momentum (therefore cooperating with Claridge), than competing for sales, similarly to restaurants opening close to other restaurants. I wouldn't be surprised to see the sales center open this year.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Not sure how much use a public plaza on the third floor would get. It might be a case of out of sight, out of mind.
You're probably right; similar situation to the NAC and Rideau Centre terraces.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Something like this at Toronto's Madison Condos on Eglington at Younge:

image from urbantoronto
This is perfect and could be replicated multiple times in Ottawa. Is the Loblaws only on the second floor or both (I always felt grocery stores, pharmacies, banks should be on second floor with others on the bottom).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 7:15 PM

Quote:
This is perfect and could be replicated multiple times in Ottawa. Is the Loblaws only on the second floor or both (I always felt grocery stores, pharmacies, banks should be on second floor with others on the bottom).
Agree - this should also happen in the market where the Metro/LCBO is. It is semi-happening in Tribeca with Sobey's. The condo towers are currently under construction and only their podium is finished - a long way still to go. I was there last weekend with a friend looking at buying a unit there. The Loblaws will be on the second floor with an entrance on the first with an escalator up - a la Carling CT style. There may be a Loblaws cafe type thing on the bottom where the entrance is. Sort of like the Whole Foods here.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 9:35 PM

Quote:
I wish Ottawa would get a Signage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa