HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Will Jagmeet Singh win the by-election?
Yes 34 44.74%
No 42 55.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I think it was a mistake. Having someone who identifies so clearly with a foreign religion/culture will not be well received. it's a little too much diversity for most of the nation. I'd be surprised if he can maintain the progress made in the last election. True be told, the NDP will probably struggle with any leader. Trudeau's charisma has worn thin among Canadians. Most see him now as enjoying his celebrity status too much all the while cutting out the middle class to protect the privileged and/or wealthy. I fully expect a shift right even if nothing will change.

The most populous cities having to house "US refugees" because Trudeau didn't send them back home is having lasting repercussions in a city, like Toronto, can't afford to look after its poor with out of control housing costs
Huh? What is Roman Catholicism or Anglicanism but a foreign religion/culture by their very name? Or did you mean non-white religion/culture?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:14 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He's almost certain to win. Byelections are notorious for low turnouts and of course the people with the biggest to win in turning out to vote are those who want their leader to get elected, so NDP in this case.

Betcha he wins with two thirds of the vote out of a turnout of 35%.
Two thirds? That would be an incredibly high figure for the NDP in BC. When did they ever get 66% in any federal seat anywhere? I’d guess they’d be thrilled if he won with 40%.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Two thirds? That would be an incredibly high figure for the NDP in BC. When did they ever get 66% in any federal seat anywhere? I’d guess they’d be thrilled if he won with 40%.
In byelections it can happen due to low turnouts and disproportionate motivation in party bases.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 6:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Huh? What is Roman Catholicism or Anglicanism but a foreign religion/culture by their very name? Or did you mean non-white religion/culture?
Trigg

Errr

Redddd

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 7:55 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
I think it was a mistake. Having someone who identifies so clearly with a foreign religion/culture will not be well received. it's a little too much diversity for most of the nation. I'd be surprised if he can maintain the progress made in the last election. True be told, the NDP will probably struggle with any leader. Trudeau's charisma has worn thin among Canadians. Most see him now as enjoying his celebrity status too much all the while cutting out the middle class to protect the privileged and/or wealthy. I fully expect a shift right even if nothing will change.

The most populous cities having to house "US refugees" because Trudeau didn't send them back home is having lasting repercussions in a city, like Toronto, can't afford to look after its poor with out of control housing costs
I can't comment on how the "diversity" aspect will play out because while his religion/culture shouldn't be relevant to his leadership as it has little to do with his policies or capabilities, I don't have enough faith in the general public to know whether or not it will. But I find it odd that the electorate would react to Trudeau's "cutting out the middle class to protect the privileged and/or wealthy" by moving to the right, when that type of behaviour has basically become the right's raison d'etre. I mean, him behaving like this would basically be another example of the Liberal history of "campaign from the centre left, govern from the centre right". But then again, having lost faith in the electorate's ability to make sense, you could certainly be correct.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 8:41 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Trigg

Errr

Redddd
tHe CroSs iSn'T a ReLigIoUS sYmbOl!!1!!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 8:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Totally true, the left wing which tends to be the poor or middle who want more taxes more social security more jobs also tend to be anti immigration anti foreigner. Singh is an oxymoron and the NDP is risking its traditional voter base to appeal to the indo community (who already were usually voting NDP).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 8:55 PM

^ It's pretty clear Indo Canadians voted Liberal overwhelmingly in the last federal election (while Chinese Canadians have been trending Conservative).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Yep, in Acajack Land this is apparently a figure representative of ordinary Canadians:
[IMG]pope by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]

This however is a crazed religious fanatic trying to foist off mysterious cults of the subcontinent on us:

[IMG]singh2 by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
You think the Quebec flag is a religious symbol...?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I can't comment on how the "diversity" aspect will play out because while his religion/culture shouldn't be relevant to his leadership as it has little to do with his policies or capabilities (...)
I wouldn't be ready to say that.

For example, let's say someone is an enthusiastic, devout member of a religion that insists that Earth was created 5,000 years ago and is flat; you don't agree that this state of affairs allows us to draw some conclusions about his capacities?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:50 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You think the Quebec flag is a religious symbol...?
You don't remember what I am referring to?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:56 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
I wouldn't be ready to say that.

For example, let's say someone is an enthusiastic, devout member of a religion that insists that Earth was created 5,000 years ago and is flat; you don't agree that this state of affairs allows us to draw some conclusions about his capacities?
It would certainly make me want to question and carefully understand their positions, but if they made clear that they understand and accept the need for separation between church and state, I wouldn't assume they'd be any more biased than anyone else. Unless by capacities you mean that they're mentally compromised or disabled in some way in which i would have to disagree. Religion is strongly entrenched in culture, upbringing, tradition, social pressure, etc. and not a matter of a person simply thinking about the nature of their existence and inventing some wacky theory of out of thin air. There are countless people who are otherwise rational and intelligent who practice a sort of suspension of disbelief when it comes to religion. I'm an atheist so i don't agree with people doing this, but I have enough experience with people not to write off their entire intellect over one aspect I disagree with. I've had enough serious disagreements with secular people on major issues and enough common ground with religious people to know that things aren't so simple.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
You don't remember what I am referring to?
No, I'm simply accepting to embark on your anti-cross discussion and am broadening the scope of it

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
There are countless people who are otherwise rational and intelligent who practice a sort of suspension of disbelief when it comes to religion.
I agree with you that it shouldn't be an automatic dealbreaker, but it's still a strike against them (when postulating for the position of leader of our society).

How can a leader even discuss climate change (one of the great issues of our time) if they firmly believe Earth was created as is (i.e. forget Ice Ages, the mid-Pliocene warm period, or them ever being able to take into account basically any data covering periods they consider fictional) 5,000 years ago?

How can a leader be expected to take a position on the TPP if they believe any trade ship trying to cross the Pacific will fall into the void at the point where Earth ends...?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 10:59 PM

I’d be far more worried about Andrew Scheer’s religious beliefs influencing his governing than I would Singh’s!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 11:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I agree with you that it shouldn't be an automatic dealbreaker, but it's still a strike against them (when postulating for the position of leader of our society).
Reminds me of when friends go on a date and say something like "...and then so and so started talking about healing crystals and aligning chakras... sigh". Usually the implication is that there will be no date #2.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Trigg

Errr

Redddd
Popcorn emoji.

I give this thread another day before it gets locked.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 12:30 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Yep, in Acajack Land this is apparently a figure representative of ordinary Canadians:
[IMG]pope by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]

This however is a crazed religious fanatic trying to foist off mysterious cults of the subcontinent on us:

[IMG]singh2 by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]
Shit! I have been exposed! I am a Roman Catholic cardinal posting from the dome of the Oratoire St-Joseph, on the orders of Pope Francis!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 1:34 AM

Quote:

I disagree , you need to look beyond the angry and very loud Conservative base. A prediction based on that crowd would give Scheer the biggest majority in history. I predict Trudeau will still be our PM at this time next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada