HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Inuit throat singing? Cape Breton (and other) fiddle music?
I have seen inuit throat performances on tv, but are there actual recordings of throat singing?

Ahh yes Cape Breton music. I remember groups like the Rankins and the Barra MacNeils.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I have seen inuit throat performances on tv, but are there actual recordings of throat singing?

Ahh yes Cape Breton music. I remember groups like the Rankins and the Barra MacNeils.
Many. Both audio and video.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:43 AM

cool Ill have to look it up

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:21 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:47 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

There is also kalyna country. Basically country music sung in Ukrainian. This music exists alongside or independent of zabava music, which does exist in Ukraine. But the country music? They don't do that in Ukraine.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:18 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

Inuk artist Tanya Tagaq also incorporates throat singing into a more contemporary recording style. She's collaborated with Bjork and Mike Patton, among others and did work for the new season of True Detective. She's based out of Toronto now and apparently a bit of a diva to work with.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 1:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Inuit throat singing? Cape Breton (and other) fiddle music?
Inuit throat singing is definitely indigenous to here in every sense of the word, but is there something about Cape Breton fiddle music that has an obvious "nowhere-else-but-here" aspect to it? (Not disputing, just curious.)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Inuit throat singing is definitely indigenous to here in every sense of the word, but is there something about Cape Breton fiddle music that has an obvious "nowhere-else-but-here" aspect to it? (Not disputing, just curious.)
To the extent that it's not recognizable Scots or Irish tunes, I'd say "yes", although perhaps not if your genre is "Celtic".

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
There is a certain authenticity to Cape Breton fiddle music which makes it purer and more traditional than even similar music from the Scottish homeland.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 6:21 PM

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:37 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
North American country music using the Gaelic language is the most obvious feature. Also, because they use Gaelic so often, the intervals employed are much broader than their brethren down the mountain range. The closest the southern brethren get is High Lonesome.

In terms of their fiddle, the reels have diverged from the Scottish reels in that they use a more unstable rhythm than used in Scotland. This might have been influenced by MicMac fiddlers as other fiddlers out west who are more mixed with Ojibwe and Cree musicians (Red River fiddle, James Bay fiddle) use ragged rhythm and beat insertion to match the prosody of native languages.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:53 PM

Not a Canadian song at all, but I love this band from Pictou NS' rendition:
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 3:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's a big day.

And...

Province Marks 75th Anniversary of Confederation

Quote:
Today marks the 75th anniversary of Newfoundland and Labrador joining Confederation.

The province officially joined Canada March 31, 1949, and in doing so became its 10th province.

Government has numerous events and initiatives planned over the course of the year to mark the milestone, including a special medal to be given to chosen residents and a commemorative license plate.
https://vocm.com/2024/03/31/province...confederation/

I haven't seen or heard of much going on, but there was a commercial on the radio for some injury law firm that said we're the only province whose people chose to join Canada, and one of only three with terms of union.

Also, the March 31 thing is bullshit. It was April Fools Day here, even though they tried to avoid that.

EDIT: Another official acknowledgement in my feed. I'm really sitting back, watching, seeing just how big a deal this is here. I'm curious about that, without wanting to participate/influence it.

Opera on the Avalon teamed up with Rum Ragged to do a song penned by my fave, Amelia Curran. Not my thing, but hey, it's commemoration lol

Video Link

EDIT: Days later, not much additional yet. But I did hear Joan Morrissey's anti-Confederation song on the radio for the first time in years. Not a fan of that one, though - the only version that survives is a studio version that's awful, her whole charm was her live charisma and crowd work. My fave of her Confederation-adjacent songs was this one about the impact of Canada's baby bonus in Newfoundland and Labrador (my father was born in 1950, mother in 1952, and they have 12 siblings each. Completely normal for the time).

Video Link

Now, the additional stuff there has been is mostly Indigenous leaders on the island saying they're not celebrating. This is all on us, not Canada - but they're raising the issue that Newfoundland denied there were any Indigenous people on the island, and all of the various First Nations benefits were never extended to them. Also, this denial led to Canadians, particularly Newfoundlanders, scoffing at their contemporary claims of Indigenous ancestry. "Boggles credulity", I think was that Ottawa bureaucrat's response to half the island's population applying to join the First Nations band relatively recently established for them, ha! Which is... fair, yes, but also... unfair. Fascinating stuff. They still have no clear, proven reason why Joey Smallwood did this. Obviously there's all the prejudice, desire to "civilize" the Indigenous people, etc. that existed at that time. But it was never put down in writing anywhere why he claimed it, and why Canada accepted it even though all of the census data, etc., we provided them, and everything they had on us through their own studies, PRIOR TO CONFEDERATION, clearly indicated lots of Mikmaq people in Central and Western Newfoundland.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 4, 2024 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:50 PM
Ham-burgher

Joe Flaherty has passed away, at 82.

While he was American, he's perhaps best known for his characters on SCTV.

R.I.P. Count.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 2:02 AM

Do you know who this is?

upload photo to website

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Do you know who this is?
Burton Cummings in his hipster days.

When I saw first this video a couple of years ago, I also thought it didn't look like Burt usually does and he was channeling the hipsters of the future. It's a good look for Burt.

He plays the flute in the video Undun (from a 1973 Midnight Special appearance)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Burton Cummings in his hipster days.

When I saw first this video a couple of years ago, I also thought it didn't look like Burt usually does and he was channeling the hipsters of the future. It's a good look for Burt.

He plays the flute in the video Undun (from a 1973 Midnight Special appearance)
You passed the test. I just saw that performance without context. And as I know very little about the Guess Who, I didn't know who this was or the song. It was a captivating performance. Great song. And it made me realize what a great voice he had.

At first I had no idea what era this was in. My first thought was 90's grunge based on this look. Even the way he was standing and his mannerisms had me thinking some moody guy from Seattle.

Forget the lack of moustache, his hairdo alone had me tripping. The lead singer from a rock band in the 70's doesn't usually have the hairdo of someone going to their 9-5 job.

When you think Burton Cummings, this is not the look that comes to mind. Even if you search "young Burton Cummings", this doesn't show up. I was so confused.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 12:15 PM

I was and am still a big BC fan. I remember as a kid watching the 1980 Juno's when he came out with his hair cut off. My mom almost cried lol. He's blessed with hair that grows fast because he was back to the big full locks a couple years later. I don't think my hair would even hit my shoulders if I left it alone for the next 5 years.

Cool interview here from 1980 on MuchMusic with then JD (now Fox host John) Roberts and Jeanne Beker.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 12:25 PM

Thousands of people could have passed him on the street and not know who he was. It's like when I hadn't seen my school friend for a few months. We agreed to meet up somewhere and I walked in to a place with only a couple of people there and I walked right by him. But in this case, he went on a hyper diet and dropped major lbs. Unrecognizable at first glance.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 6:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

When it comes to drag queens, we get the best in the world. Consistently. Because local promoters know it's worth whatever it costs to get them here, it'll sell out no matter the price. We had Bianca del Rio the weekend before her finale aired, etc.

But mainstream, regular, straight entertainment... they never did get it. George Street once did a drag night on the main outdoor stage and the regular straight host just kept going on about how amazing it was everyone came out "for this" ... their mindset has never been in trying. It's always been in booking Shaneyganock, The Navigators, and at least one former member of Great Big Sea. Pathetic, just a complete lack of vision.

This year, the straights have changed. Newfoundland Folk Festival brought in people I don't know, but we have had our line-up on the front page of German and American newspapers, all their folk people are coming for it.

And even the little festival beside Confederation Hill... their previous claim to fame was a barely conscious Rod Stewart. This year they went for someone who I don't like and won't see, but is objectively loved. Oddly, especially among the gays. I think I'm the only person I know who isn't going. Or... one of two (this isn't me):

But my point is... if promoters bring them here, people will come. Doesn't matter the cost, BRING THEM. Take the financial risk if you can afford it. Lady Gaga, Chucho Rivas, Emina Jahovic, Harry Styles... doesn't matter. If you can afford to pay to get them here up front, you WILL make your money back. Our drag scene has proved that for 20 fucking years now. JUST DO IT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada