HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:07 PM
The City

It's going to be an epic lobby and a great place to grab a drink, possibly rivaling that of the Hyatt Regency

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
You haven't? This lobby rendering has been posted several times recently:

Apparently there will be not one, but two sets of angled columns here supporting the little bump out in the middle at the base. Upon further examination it appears that the columns being framed out now might actually be the less severe set as well which means we could be seeing some really wild engineering once they get around to the next set.
I did come across this image, too, but not sure how accurate or up to date it is. In the article, it credits "Wanda Institute of Hotel Design & Research Co."

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
I did come across this image, too, but not sure how accurate or up to date it is. In the article, it credits "Wanda Institute of Hotel Design & Research Co."
I think that is the same as the other renderings, but showing more detail. From the pictures it looks like the south side of the building will also get these??

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 4:43 PM
Small but Mighty

Wait a minute...

Is that Water Tower Place and the John Hancock Center in the background on the far right. That doesn't make any sense. From what imaginary angle are they getting this rendering from? Seems like another example of stupid rendering design. This should be up there with the North/South Sunrise and 3 Car Train in Wolf Point.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
Wait a minute...

Is that Water Tower Place and the John Hancock Center in the background on the far right. That doesn't make any sense. From what imaginary angle are they getting this rendering from? Seems like another example of stupid rendering design. This should be up there with the North/South Sunrise and 3 Car Train in Wolf Point.
yes they photoshopped in a different view than what will exist in reality

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
yes they photoshopped in a different view than what will exist in reality
Probably to avoid showing the tower that shall not be named.

very very very cool lobby. Thick, angled, concrete support beams.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:43 PM

It's been a while since I'd looked at the lobby. Guess I forgot about those 45 degree columns.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayosthery View Post
The two exterior shear walls on the West core will slope with the building. One exterior shear wall on the East core will slope with the building.
OMG, I just realized that the stripes in the original drawing were actually literally just this crazy undulating sheer wall but exposed through or highlighted by the glass:

news.sina.com

The little punch outs we see in this photo are just the balconies on the rendering. This is literally two giant cores that run the width of the building from North to South. I wonder how visible these cores will be if they are clad? Look at how noticible the concrete sheer wall is in this photo:

Nick's photo

This has the potential to be some crazy structural expressionism if it's at all exposed.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
OMG, I just realized that the stripes in the original drawing were actually literally just this crazy undulating sheer wall but exposed through or highlighted by the glass:

news.sina.com

The little punch outs we see in this photo are just the balconies on the rendering. This is literally two giant cores that run the width of the building from North to South. I wonder how visible these cores will be if they are clad? Look at how noticible the concrete sheer wall is in this photo:

Nick's photo

This has the potential to be some crazy structural expressionism if it's at all exposed.
Interesting observation. However, the more recent, final, design does not have as many balconies - and none on the Northern face, particularly at these lower levels.

What's weird to me is how beefy and dense this exterior wall is. In the new renders it doesn't look like these punch outs would be necessary. Time will tell.

Basically, had they never released an updated design, I'd say you're 100% correct. Maybe it'll make more sense after a few more floors because I'm stumped.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
OMG, I just realized that the stripes in the original drawing were actually literally just this crazy undulating sheer wall but exposed through or highlighted by the glass... This is literally two giant cores that run the width of the building from North to South. I wonder how visible these cores will be if they are clad? ...

yeah, except it's not exposed... have you guys seen some of the floor plans? it's astonishing how little vision glass/windows are located in many of the interiors due to the apparently necessary volume of the structural concrete... if the MASSIVE amount of concrete was exposed, maybe it could have joined our other structurally expressive towers, Sears and Hancock (even if in this case it's not necessarily form following function)...

this is NOT a glass tower surrounding a traditional concrete column/slab structure, it's a massive concrete sculpture in hiding... what I am most excited about seeing during construction is the exposed concrete forms... I suspect it will be much more aesthetically satisfying for me than the final product...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:12 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Probably to avoid showing the tower that shall not be named.

very very very cool lobby. Thick, angled, concrete support beams.
If having a view of the Trump Tower hurt chances of buying then no one would buy in any tall building in the city. More likely they found a quick picture and just threw it in to get a render out because it ultimately doesn't matter.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:35 AM

I wonder if the fact that Trump has trademarked his name might be an issue.

Since the image is related to sales material, perhaps the Trump Organization would ask for compensation to grant permission to have "Trump" in the image

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
yeah, except it's not exposed... have you guys seen some of the floor plans? it's astonishing how little vision glass/windows are located in many of the interiors due to the apparently necessary volume of the structural concrete... if the MASSIVE amount of concrete was exposed, maybe it could have joined our other structurally expressive towers, Sears and Hancock (even if in this case it's not necessarily form following function)...

this is NOT a glass tower surrounding a traditional concrete column/slab structure, it's a massive concrete sculpture in hiding... what I am most excited about seeing during construction is the exposed concrete forms... I suspect it will be much more aesthetically satisfying for me than the final product...
Well said. The concrete super-structure is going to be far more interesting than I originally imagined. Here's hoping the facade doesn't get started too soon so we can appreciate the bones for a bit.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 3:30 AM
Pro Web Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
I wonder if the fact that Trump has trademarked his name might be an issue.

Since the image is related to sales material, perhaps the Trump Organization would ask for compensation to grant permission to have "Trump" in the image
They would have just used a picture taken before the Trump logo was put on the building to avoid that.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 6:05 PM

07/07/17

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:54 PM
BANNED

So it seems wanda is running into money troubles.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.re.../idUSKBN19V06E

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qDot View Post
So it seems wanda is running into money troubles.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.re.../idUSKBN19V06E
I have a different take on this: Wanda is exhibiting a rare case restraint among Chinese mega firms. There is a storm brewing in China, there has been for years. The government is just good at finding Illinois style ways of drop kicking the can down the road. The real question is what the hell is Sunac thinking? They have been struggling with severe issues themselves and now are gobbling up Wanda's most whimsical bullshit projects. I mean really? Who fixates of competition with Disney theme parks? It's not like theme parks are even valuable as stand alone entities without a larger franchise supporting them. This is another case of Chinese firms missing the essence of American capitalism in a race to compete everywhere in everything. Competition is essential to our system, but competition does not merely entail copying other business models, it's just as essential to innovate as it is to understand existing businesses. Trying to out Disney Disney will never be successful unless they can grow a new audience or franchise or cultural business model from scratch that Disney doesn't already have 100 years or experience honing or fine tuning.

Anyhow I've read the details on the assets dumped by Wanda and they are most non performing or low performance properties. This isn't a sale of desperation, it's a sale of Wanda's trash to some suckers who have been on an endless acquisition spree and think it's treasure.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:38 PM

Nine from the ninth

July 9

Columns supporting the parking/driveway

Patterns on patterns

quite a large gap for these forms - to accommodate the angled core ?

The slope on the core is not an illusion.

Screens waiting

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 8:27 PM

what happens if a company goes bankrupt halfway through building a skyscraper? with the spire they only were at the basement level so it's less of an eyesore, but imagine something 500 feet tall and abandoned

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdoodlebop View Post
what happens if a company goes bankrupt halfway through building a skyscraper? with the spire they only were at the basement level so it's less of an eyesore, but imagine something 500 feet tall and abandoned
Look up the history of Waterview tower...happened just down the river.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture