HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:45 AM

Going back a couple of pages, the plan is posted for the six lane expansion

http://www.gnb.ca/0113/projects/projects-e.asp

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 11:00 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Seems to me they'd have a lot more luck fixing traffic by improving the interchanges along the route, rather than just adding more lanes.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightguy0 View Post

"Our town centre is the Rothesay Common, it has been for decades and it will continue to be," honestly, how many people go to the commons, just for the bountiful shopping and to see the wonderful destination that it is? don't get me wrong, the commons is a nice place, but does it feel like a true center for the community?
If your idea of a community center is based on shopping, shouldn't you be living downtown or near McAllister?

I'm not too familiar with how the commons is used, but as a Gondola Point resident I think the Arts and Culture Park is really the kind of thing he has in mind. Free outdoor concerts Wednesday, free outdoor kids movies Friday, free outdoor adult movies Saturday. Free skating all winter. Meenans Cove Canada Day. Dragon Boat festival. Jazz festival. Those are KV family type activities, frankly I doubt a big portion of the population thinks lack of shopping opportunities are important to their lifestyle.

This is overall an interesting area, because downtown Saint John, KV, Grand Bay, Kingston Peninsula, you can chose where to live based on lifestyle and not be very far away from everything else. No need to create a downtown KV, Saint John already has one that can be used by everyone.

My personal thumbs down to the idea, I think it would fail.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Seems to me they'd have a lot more luck fixing traffic by improving the interchanges along the route, rather than just adding more lanes.
...or tackle the problem directly - reduce the number of vehicles on the road via transit.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 6:14 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
...or tackle the problem directly - reduce the number of vehicles on the road via transit.
Excuse my sarcasm, but yeah, I'm sure they'll get right on that.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 6:35 PM
ハルウララ

Can suburbs have a city centre?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 7:00 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Dieppe is certainly trying.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Of course! These are popping up in suburbs all over North America as municipalities recognize the need for sustainable, mixed-use development. Let's think outside the box here! Something this size up near the highway would be GREAT for KV and wouldn't negatively impact the quality of life of the residents, but could potentially improve it.

source: http://nolareport.com/2007/10/major-...nt-in-new.html

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 7:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Think Dartmouth Crossing

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 1:01 AM
All aboard the Failboat

so I hear Rocca is going to break ground on harborfront soon

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 1:25 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightguy0 View Post
so I hear Rocca is going to break ground on harborfront soon
Oh, really?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 3:04 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Oh, really?
The TJ said it was going to happen this month.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
The TJ said it was going to happen this month.
And we all know how accurate the TJ is...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 10:58 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

There was certainly no sign of construction there this afternoon.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 4:50 PM

For anyone interested, Bing Maps (formerly Microsoft Maps Live) has added Birds-Eye aerial photos for the Saint John area. It looks like they were taken at some point last Summer, and some of them are really fantastic, I recommend everyone go check them out.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:34 PM

Towns should beef up transit system: engineer

Transportation Municipalities can get more routes if they want, but must subsidize service

MARY-ELLEN SAUNDERS
TELEGRAPH-JOURNAL

QUISPAMSIS - A former Quispamsis resident wants to see transit in the Kennebecasis Valley transformed.

David Hook, an engineer who now lives in Ottawa, has written to the Town of Rothesay suggesting the towns of Rothesay and Quispamsis invest in more transit routes to help stimulate economic and population growth.

"My goal is to make the valley a more pedestrian-friendly place, to get vehicles off the road and to start to do better things for the environment," Hook said. "Growing up in Quispamsis, I always found it difficult to get around, especially if my parents had the car. I would have to bug someone to drive me or bike long distances."

The Comex express system, operated by Saint John Transit, makes six stops in the Kennebecasis Valley to pick up residents and take them directly to the city.

Frank McCarey, general manager of Saint John Transit, said the Comex service has been successful since it began in 2007. He said about 150 people take the bus from the valley to Saint John each day.

Hook would like the towns to invest in several routes on which buses could pick people up and take them to the town centre so residents could catch the Comex bus without having to drive to a pickup location and also so residents could get around the valley without the use of a vehicle.

He submitted a possible bus route map to the town that includes routes travelling from Ritchie Lake, Highland Drive, Vincent Road, Sherwood Park, Parkside Drive and French Village to a central area near the Mackay highway.

"This proposal would reduce congestion on the Mackay Highway and postpone the need for widening the highway to six lanes for many years," Hook said. "This is where the tax dollars should be spent."

Hook said his plan would enhance the existing Comex service by making it available to more residents.

"This service could make various areas within the valley more accessible to residents, increase commerce and reduce the number of vehicles on the road," Hook said. "It could allow many families to reduce the number of vehicles they own from two to one."

McCarey said the express service met the expectations Saint John Transit had set for three years' time in the first six to seven months of its operation.

He said the popular trips are at capacity, which is why larger, bendable buses that will seat 60 people will arrive late this month or early September.

As for Hook's suggestion that buses could take residents from outside areas to a central location where passengers could get on the express bus to Saint John, McCarey said that like all bus routes, it would have to be subsidized. He said Saint John Transit will offer any service municipalities want if the areas are willing to subsidize the costs.

"People make their own choices as to how they want to travel. If they move to the valley, they may have to own two or three cars, but if there is a transit system they may not have to buy as many cars," McCarey said.

"It is up to communities how they want to provide access. Do they want a bus service or do they want to construct more highways and roads?"

Rothesay Mayor Bill Bishop said he does not expect to have any more bus stops in the Town of Rothesay.

"It's not on the agenda in the foreseeable future," Bishop said.

Quispamsis Mayor Murray Driscoll said right now Saint John Transit has decided which areas are the best pickup spots and those are the ones that exist. He said as the town grows, it will continue to look at its transit needs.

"It's grown already. We came from no transit system to a transit system and it's increasingly being used more and more," Driscoll said.

"We are growing all the time and I hope this system continues to grow because it stops people from taking cars and saves on costs."

The town is planning to have the express bus pick up passengers on Vincent Road in 2010 to provide transportation to and from the Q-Plex, which is set to open next year.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 3:00 AM

A little bit of snow with the articulated buses and watch the fun....

Better keep them off the hills in SJ.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 3:24 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

The boys at Top Gear did some insightful research into the more common bus styles in use today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYqf6T7XFog

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 2:44 AM
Unregistered Loser

Hey SJ...5% unemployment is good anytime, let alone during a recession (CTV).

Even Halifax was 6%....something to think about....

I'm staying here, though I may be commuting soon...hope all is well with you all and and am looking forward to Harbourfront Residences new tower crane in 2010!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 3:03 AM
Unregistered Loser

I have a thought about the Harbour Bridge with consideration to some ramble on the TJ about the past. Who believes in a world like this that the Harbour Bridge was ever a mistake? Just go to the boardwalk and wonder what SJ would be without it. This isn't Halifax with it's Africville....but Saint John with a bit of movement to make way for a controlled highway which wouldn't happen today at the present pace. Thank God for the One Mile Interchange and it's improvements, while maintaining current residents while the [city] of Rothesay lures them away. I like the current highway with or without three lanes.

Did I mention that I think the KV should amalgamate and become Rothesay (not Kennebecesasis City)...?

Last edited by Helladog; Aug 8, 2009 at 3:31 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces