HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I noticed in the Mayor's 2010 recap in the TJ that he mentions that he expects another tower project from Rocca in the Uptown this year, I don't know whether he is just speaking about the second phase of the Harbourfront Residences or whether this is something new entirely. Any insight?
Could go either way - Phase 2 or maybe him being part of the Coast Guard site since he was the developer of Market Square and Harbourside ?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 6:42 PM

I have herad quite a bit of talk about the Coast Guard site the last few days so I presume we will hear something publicly soon.

Should be interesting to see what the addition to McCallister place is. Sounds like a new anchor tenant.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 6:45 PM

I have been to all four of the MillRats home games this far and wanted to comment on the high quality of the product. Both the quality of the basketball and the overall entertainment are very high. The crowds have been FAR better than expected at well over 4000 people per game.

Also worth mentioning is the new scoreclock which is capable of displaying HD instant replays on all four sides and is VERY impressive.

If you havent been to a game yet, I would highly recommend it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 2:40 AM

I don't want to ruffle any feathers AND I'm hoping this is JUST a rumour, but I don't see Westjet listed as an airline on the Saint John Airport website AND Westjet's new website does not list Saint John, even as a seasonal destination (hoping this is just a glitch!). Is Westjet going to return for the summer season this year?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I don't want to ruffle any feathers AND I'm hoping this is JUST a rumour, but I don't see Westjet listed as an airline on the Saint John Airport website AND Westjet's new website does not list Saint John, even as a seasonal destination (hoping this is just a glitch!). Is Westjet going to return for the summer season this year?
Deer Lake, Sydney and Windsor are seasonal destinations and are listed, unlike Saint John. In addition, West Jet was removed from the Saint John Airport website on the list of airlines serving the airport. In the past West Jet touted the success of YSJ. If they do not fly into YSJ, Air Canada will have to increase capacity up from their current 4 summer flights a day to Toronto - if they do hopefully we will get the 75 seater CRJ so that business class is offered into and out of Saint John.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
I have been to all four of the MillRats home games this far and wanted to comment on the high quality of the product. Both the quality of the basketball and the overall entertainment are very high. The crowds have been FAR better than expected at well over 4000 people per game.

Also worth mentioning is the new scoreclock which is capable of displaying HD instant replays on all four sides and is VERY impressive.

If you havent been to a game yet, I would highly recommend it.
Agreed, I've been to 2 games and have come away impressed, the product is much better than I expected and the city's support of the team has been impressive for a virgin basketball market. I hope this team & league will be around for years to come.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 3:19 PM

I received the following email from Colleen Mitchell, Director of Marketing and Communications when I inquired about West Jet:

Westjet has not included YSJ (Saint John) as part of their scheduled service for this summer season.
Air Canada continues its daily, year round service.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 4:10 PM

I don't know about WestJet but AC was using the larger CRJ's over the Holiday season which had business class. I was on two flights with this plane, makes the last leg home a little easier.

I also noticed that Continental is now code sharing some of the YYZ flights out of YSJ, makes me wonder if they are planning a US destination from Saint John.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
I received the following email from Colleen Mitchell, Director of Marketing and Communications when I inquired about West Jet:

Westjet has not included YSJ (Saint John) as part of their scheduled service for this summer season.
Air Canada continues its daily, year round service.
Well, that's disappointing. With its reduced frequency in/out of Moncton as well, it seems WS is not fully committed to the NB market.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:52 AM

Could this be a sign of the interest of Porter coming to Saint John?

I'm wondering why the news of Westjet has been kept so secret....I would have thought the media outlets would have been all over this.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 4:55 AM

The summer schedules are due to be released in the next few weeks I believe so the #$%! will hit the fan then I am sure!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 11:00 AM

I sent a tip to the media outlets yesterday re: West Jet. I see the Telegraph Journal has an article in this mornings paper about it.
Would be nice if we have Porter - we need an alternative to keep fares down to Toronto in the $99 range. Without competition we are usually looking at $179 to Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Well, that's disappointing. With its reduced frequency in/out of Moncton as well, it seems WS is not fully committed to the NB market.
Not sure what you mean by not fully committed with a frown. If they make a reasonable profit then they're going to be committed by providing a continuing service. But if it doesn't make a reasonable profit, then they shouldn't offer the service. They're not a crown corporation, so are under no obligation to lose money to provide service to any community. Use it or lose it, it wasn't used enough, so away it goes. Cudos to them for trying.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:32 PM

I'm not a big air traveller, usually only having one or two trips a year. But I'd LOVE to use Westjet if they could actually get a decent schedule coming into here.

I go to Vegas annually, and every time I check flights on Westjet, going down isn't a problem. But coming back has basically a day layover in Toronto before I can continue on to Moncton. Which means I take my business elsewhere. I don't know if any other West to East trip planning have similar issues, but thats a big issue for me.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 8:23 PM

I'm eventually trying to model saint john and area for Google Earth. I'm able to get most of my pictures from Street View and Image Search, but there are some I can't get. Does anyone have any photos of the robertson wharf (and adjacent condos) from the courtyard side?

Also, have you seen Fredericton on GE? We've got a lot of catching up to do! Not sure why the uptown doesn't have good resolution imagery in google earth yet when random villages in Honduras do.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhottawa729 View Post
I'm eventually trying to model saint john and area for Google Earth. I'm able to get most of my pictures from Street View and Image Search, but there are some I can't get. Does anyone have any photos of the robertson wharf (and adjacent condos) from the courtyard side?

Also, have you seen Fredericton on GE? We've got a lot of catching up to do! Not sure why the uptown doesn't have good resolution imagery in google earth yet when random villages in Honduras do.
Here are the condos from behind looking into the courtyard:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...12,193.27,,0,5

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 1:20 PM

City Close To Signing Deal For Coast Guard Site

SAINT JOHN - A long-awaited deal for the city's purchase of the six-acre Coast Guard site off Water Street for development purposes is "very close" to being signed, says the city's point man in the negotiations with the Department of Fisheries.

1 OF 2

Photo: Kâté Braydon/Telegraph-Journal
A deal that would see the city buy the Coast Guard site is just weeks away, says Kent MacIntyre, general manager of Saint John Waterfront Development.
"We're not talking months, we're talking weeks," Kent MacIntyre, general manager of Saint John Waterfront Development, said in confirming similar comments made by Mayor Ivan Court earlier in the week.

"Like the mayor said, we thought we would be there before the end of December," MacIntyre said.

"(But) we've got a couple of small legal issues we're settling with DFO. That should all come together very shortly."

The deal, he added, will involve the city's purchase of both the Coast Guard land and all the buildings on the coveted site.

"That will be a major step in the whole process (of developing the site)," he added.

"Once the city purchases the land, we will be an excellent position to go forward in dealing very seriously with developers. It is tough to deal in a serious mode when you don't own the property."

Even so, MacIntyre said, there is good interest in the Coast Guard property from private developers to whom it will be sold off in parcels as a part of a multi-phased development.

"It is the prime piece of property in Saint John," he said.

"It represents a great opportunity to be a catalyst for future development in the city."

The Hardman Group, which owns nearby Market Square, has expressed an interest in building a hotel, condominiums and an office tower on the Coast Guard site since the start of negotiations in 2005.

MacIntyre said it is also interested in an abutting parking lot property currently owned by the city.

"As we finalize things with The Hardman Group, we will have more to announce very shortly on what we will be doing on that site," he said.

Court had said earlier in the week that the deal to purchase the Coast Guard site, for which the city had set aside $3 million, was "really close" to being signed.

"We hope there will be development there by the spring," he said.

"We were hoping it would be signed by Christmas, so we hope it will be signed very shortly. That's all I can tell you. It has to be a legal document."

He referred all other questions to MacIntyre.

Bill Hardman, president of The Hardman Group, also seemed optimistic a purchase deal is close when contacted at this Halifax office.

"I can't elaborate any more than what the mayor has said," he said.

"What I can tell you is all parties have been working on this for a long while and we are getting close to moving forward. That will be good for the uptown area and we're looking for the original vision of the project to move forward.

"It is fair to say in today's world, it is very complicated to get multi-phased projects moving forward. It is very tough," Hardman added.

"Part of it, though, from our perspective is the city hasn't owned the land. It was owned by the federal government." He said that caused delays that were beyond the control of both the city and The Hardman Group.

On the positive side, he said, is the fact that nobody walked away from the table.

"It has caused everybody to be more committed," he said.

Asked again if a deal is close, he said: "Yeah, we are close to where the city and ourselves have a greater control over that property and moving things forward," Hardman said.

"I would say we are working toward having that agreement executed."

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 4:25 PM

Location: The greatest little city in the east -- Saint John, NB
Quote:

"Once the city purchases the land, we will be an excellent position to go forward in dealing very seriously with developers. It is tough to deal in a serious mode when you don't own the property."

Even so, MacIntyre said, there is good interest in the Coast Guard property from private developers to whom it will be sold off in parcels as a part of a multi-phased development.
This quote from Kent MacIntyre is a little surprising -- he seems to indicate that there is more than the Hardman Group looking at developing the site? Do you suppose he means a hotel brand or retail tenants instead, under Hardman as part of the entire development?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwright View Post
This quote from Kent MacIntyre is a little surprising -- he seems to indicate that there is more than the Hardman Group looking at developing the site? Do you suppose he means a hotel brand or retail tenants instead, under Hardman as part of the entire development?
Hard to say, it might be interpreted that even with a single developer that the property would be sold off piece by piece for each phase rather than as a single transaction. But there certainly is an implication that discussions with developers in addition to Hardman would be brokered.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Here are the condos from behind looking into the courtyard:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...12,193.27,,0,5
Yeah, this image is too much on a skew. I need some that are more straight-on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces