HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:06 AM

My question about the new Rice Eccles Stadium is what is happening to the Olympic torch? I can't imagine they would just tear it down especially with them wanting to "maintain" the Olympic legacy. My guess would be they would move it to somewhere else in the city. Yet no news article I have read has mentioned any of that.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
Not a skyscraper topic per se, but what are your thoughts on an Olympic Village for 2030? Where would they build one?
I think a great place would be between salt lake central station an the rio grande depot. Would have to be a more urban village, but would provide athletes with easy access to front runner to venues north and south. After the games the units could be sold off at market rate.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:29 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I think a great place would be between salt lake central station an the rio grande depot. Would have to be a more urban village, but would provide athletes with easy access to front runner to venues north and south. After the games the units could be sold off at market rate.
If a new olympic village is built I'd love if this could happen. Would be expensive though, and to save on costs the olympic committee is exploring using the existing olympic village, temporarily relocating students during the games. Don't ask me where they would be relocated, perhaps new construction would need to take place somewhere. The olympic village is mentioned as "already built" a couple times in the report.

https://utaholympiclegacy.org/wp-con..._final_web.pdf

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
If a new olympic village is built I'd love if this could happen. Would be expensive though, and to save on costs the olympic committee is exploring using the existing olympic village, temporarily relocating students during the games. Don't ask me where they would be relocated, perhaps new construction would need to take place somewhere. The olympic village is mentioned as "already built" a couple times in the report.

Problem I see with this is how much bigger the games will be in 2030 in terms of athletes. The 2018 games had 500 more athletes than 2002, not sure how the existing size of the Olympic village area would be able to house the increase. And with school in session, how could they move that many students for what would probably have to be 6 months?

Cities love this part of it, they get to construct high-density housing and then turn it into apartments or condos afterward.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I heard a theory from someone somewhere (honestly cannot remember) that given how increasingly cost-prohibitive and controversial the Olympics have become in general that both the Summer and Winter Olympics may eventually end up rotating between the same few locations over the course of 30 years or so, with maybe a new one thrown in here and there. Rio and Sochi were both PR disasters for them and cities seem to be increasingly reluctant to fund or even bid for the Olympics, but I see some cities as always being willing to both because the infrastructure is already in place and because their culture supports it (such as Los Angeles) or they've had successful runs with it in the past (such as SLC).

To me that theory makes a lot of sense, the Olympics gets increasingly challenging and controversial every time. So here's to a 2030 Olympics and 2058/2062 even?
I think this is how it will eventually go, but I think it will be less than 30 years of rotation. I could see maybe 4 sites that rotate: LA, London, Beijing, Sydney for summer. Winter is harder since those venues are so much more specialized, SLC for sure, Beijing maybe just cuz of the endless funds available? But who else would get into a winter rotation? Maybe Vancouver or a Calgary would get themselves involved if they knew they'd be on a regular rotation.

You're right, Rio, Sochi and Athens were disasters, boondoggles that wasted billions of dollars, with venues abandoned. Even the golf course in Rio I think has shut down. Olympics are fading anyway as a spectacle, and they better change something before cities start abandoning bids for good, or you'll be stuck with middle east cities like Dubai or Qatar wanting to host cuz they'll spend whatever it takes.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
My question about the new Rice Eccles Stadium is what is happening to the Olympic torch? I can't imagine they would just tear it down especially with them wanting to "maintain" the Olympic legacy. My guess would be they would move it to somewhere else in the city. Yet no news article I have read has mentioned any of that.

Good question! How about the Gallivan Center? It was a popular gathering spot during the 2002 games, right in the middle of Downtown, and its own'd by the SLC RDA.

Or, If not there, how about the Abravanel Hall Plaza (Corner of S.Temple and W. Temple) (County owned Land)

OR.. what about the Olympic Legacy Plaza at the Gateway?
There's some open green turf space directly North of the snowflake fountain, in front of the steps leading into the Union Pacific Building. Could even place it where the fire pit currently sits.... I mean it would be very fitting in this vicinity, being that its an Olympic Plaza and all...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:52 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
The AD mentioned in a radio interview that they haven't made a decision about it yet.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 9:56 PM

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 12:00 AM
Engineer

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...medium=twitter

Looks like the Rio Grande homeless shelter is still set to close this upcoming summer. I wonder how long it will take until the state tears the current building down. Looks like the people who operate St. Vincent east of the Road Home will operate one of the new shelters. Will St. Vincent continue to operate or will it close/move once the Road Home is gone? It will be strange to see the shelter go.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:08 AM

Quote:
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...medium=twitter

Looks like the Rio Grande homeless shelter is still set to close this upcoming summer. I wonder how long it will take until the state tears the current building down. Looks like the people who operate St. Vincent east of the Road Home will operate one of the new shelters. Will St. Vincent continue to operate or will it close/move once the Road Home is gone? It will be strange to see the shelter go.
St Vincent continues to say they will stay. Aren’t the shelters also adding food service to their offerings? If so I assume St Vincent will have a lot fewer people needing their services. I guess it would be just the people who are homeless, but don’t want to stay in a shelter.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
Not a skyscraper topic per se, but what are your thoughts on an Olympic Village for 2030? Where would they build one?
Would? or Should?

To the latter I say let's build New Amsterdam on the Glendale golf course. SLC sorely needs a bustling riverfront community.

Moving on kinda (too lazy to multi quote)
On the Denver being too expensive because they haven't done it yet thing, I think it is...
1 transportation that would be a good investment (a bus only lane on I-70 that converts to carpool afterward)
2 Investments in the culture of a place (that's a good thing right)
3 yeah it's more expensive than SLC but there is also twice as many people in the state to pay for it.

Colorado is mostly being contrarian in its opposition. It may not have the geography of SLC to put it in the absolute no brainer category but it is only a little brainer. The Olympics would be good for Denver even if their roi wasn't what SLC would have got.

Moving on kinda again
I do think SLC has a great shot at nabbing aN unofficial rotating host city appointment. One of 2 in N.A. 4 more in Eurasia could mean the Olympics are here every 24 years. SLC should float the idea of being awarded 2 olympics 24 years apart. 2030 and 2054. If the IOC gave SLC that(totally deservingly) they would get better more enthusiastic bids. A promise that the games will return within 25 years dramtically changes the financial consideration for potential host cities.

Finally I hope if we get the Olympics again we get a train to Summit County. That would be super kewl

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:42 AM

I really am not opposed to this idea, but man this building is ugly. I don't buy the argument that it was designed to not distract from the depot. It distracts through bland design. Why is there no height variation in the roof, or more design/color variation in the facade?

To me, saying "we wanted to give a neutral backdrop to the depot" sounds like an excuse for lazy design.

The interior re-use of the depot sounds great though.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:45 PM

Regardless of the design of the hotel, there is a slew of good things happening at the Gateway. Hidden near the end of this article is a the news that Punch Bowl Social will be taking the former Barnes and Noble space. Here is their website

https://www.punchbowlsocial.com/

I was really excited because it looked like we were getting the long desired upscale bowling alley, but it looks like the SLC location will only be 15k SF and will include "games such as bocce, darts, shuffleboard, ping-pong, Skee-Ball, rollerball (bowling with a smaller ball and shorter lanes) and karaoke"

Also mentioned in Isaac's article is that they are talking to The Store about opening at the Gateway. They are a local grocer, and would be a great addition.

Add these to Dave & Busters, SkinnyFATS foodhall, SeaBird Bar, and the others and it seems that Vestar has good momentum here.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:53 PM

I can see from my office window there is some kind of equipment in place at the lot for Liberty Sky on 151 State. Does anyone know what this is? Possible Soil testing equipment?

Last edited by nushiof; Nov 16, 2018 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
Regardless of the design of the hotel, there is a slew of good things happening at the Gateway. Hidden near the end of this article is a the news that Punch Bowl Social will be taking the former Barnes and Noble space. Here is their website

https://www.punchbowlsocial.com/

I was really excited because it looked like we were getting the long desired upscale bowling alley, but it looks like the SLC location will only be 15k SF and will include "games such as bocce, darts, shuffleboard, ping-pong, Skee-Ball, rollerball (bowling with a smaller ball and shorter lanes) and karaoke"

Also mentioned in Isaac's article is that they are talking to The Store about opening at the Gateway. They are a local grocer, and would be a great addition.

Add these to Dave & Busters, SkinnyFATS foodhall, SeaBird Bar, and the others and it seems that Vestar has good momentum here.
While I agree with Rulz that the design of the hotel is crappy, I agree the overall trajectory is awesome! Even the hotel will bring a lot of energy and spenders. I love moving away from a mall format to a entertainment district. I generally find malls boring and overrated. I wonder how CCC is doing in this new retail world. I think they will need to add more entertainment venues over time.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:07 PM

I'm holding out hope that the actual hotel will be far more attractive than the ridiculous renderings we've seen so far. The rendering from the plaza perspective is especially awful.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:15 PM

It’s not going to be the best hotel in the country delts?

Btw, my transfer got accepted! I will be an official Salt Laker in two months! Well Ogden technically, but close enough!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
While I agree with Rulz that the design of the hotel is crappy, I agree the overall trajectory is awesome! Even the hotel will bring a lot of energy and spenders. I love moving away from a mall format to a entertainment district. I generally find malls boring and overrated. I wonder how CCC is doing in this new retail world. I think they will need to add more entertainment venues over time.
I would imagine City Creek Center is doing fine. It's in a walkable, centralized downtown location that's near tons of other amenities, it's popular with tourists, it has options not available anywhere else in the valley, and it serves as a good place to congregate/walk around (it's visually appealing and allows easy access to lots of other nearby things). It is obviously going to have to adapt over time, but I think City Creek is set up well to adapt because of its location and design, and because its owners have infinitely huge pockets.

Amazon and the Internet in general are certainly contributing to the decline in retail, but I think the retail apocalypse is also a result of overbuilt retail. The U.S. built far more retail space than any other country, even when accounting for size and population, and now the market is adjusting in a huge way. The Internet is a factor (a huge factor admittedly), but people aren't suddenly going to want to stop going out to places. There will always be a market for retail. The suburban strip malls and shopping malls are going to be what suffers the most. The shopping centers that take efforts to incorporate more mixed-use and walkable designs will survive.

The Gateway is a good example. If Gateway was in a suburban location, it probably would still be empty and there would likely be talks of tearing it down. However, because it's downtown, it can be adapted for uses like the bars and entertainment venues that it's getting that probably wouldn't be viable in a suburban location (particularly in Utah). Gateway's decline had just as much to do with poor upkeep, competition from City Creek, and its location near the homeless shelter as anything else. With Gateway no longer a shopping mall, City Creek really doesn't have a lot of local shopping center competition. City Creek will, of course, never adapt to incorporate bars, but I don't think it will have to. Gateway and surrounding downtown neighborhoods will accommodate that need well enough.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachforthesky View Post
Good question! How about the Gallivan Center? It was a popular gathering spot during the 2002 games, right in the middle of Downtown, and its own'd by the SLC RDA.

Or, If not there, how about the Abravanel Hall Plaza (Corner of S.Temple and W. Temple) (County owned Land)

A few days ago, I was thinking we ought to replace the potato on a stick with the Olympic torch. I don’t know that I like it for Abravanel Hall Plaza.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:

They’ll just do the same thing they did last time. Those dorms actually opened over a year before the games and students were moved out to other locations for about 3 months. I don’t know where they moved to, but the U found them all places to stay. They also adjusted the academic calendar to close school for 3 weeks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West