HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 9:15 AM
Lurker

Great! I haven't had the chance to get over there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 4:42 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

2010: A year of transportation construction

Quote:
In Weber and Davis counties, the Utah Department of Transportation spent more than $200 million on road projects throughout 2010.

Most of that money was spent on upgrade and reconstruction projects, although both counties had major new construction with the Layton Parkway interchange in Layton and the Hinckley Drive extension in Ogden.

The $97 million interchange project was completed in November and includes a full interchange that was erected over Interstate 15 in Layton, has four on-ramps and connects to the new Layton Parkway, a five-lane road that will run over I-15 between Fort Lane and Flint Street.

The $20.7 million Hinckley Drive project was finished in August, extending the road nearly a mile from its previous ending point at 1900 West to a new connection at 3600 South Midland Drive.

During construction, UDOT crews placed massive steel girders on the new bridge for the extension over the Union Pacific and FrontRunner rail corridor in Roy and West Haven.

The bridge is one of the largest non-interstate structures ever built in Utah.

Riverdale Road, a corridor familiar to heavy construction, was widened to three lanes from Chimes View Drive to Washington Boulevard.

The section received utility and signal improvements, additions to traffic monitoring systems, and new sidewalks, curbs and gutters.

A reconstruction of 12th Street from Washington to Harrison Boulevard was scheduled for this year, but a lack of funding bumped the project to 2011.

In Clearfield, bridges on I-15 between Hill Field Road and 700 South were repaired in the summer and UDOT installed new concrete on I-15 between Bountiful and Farmington.

In North Salt Lake, the I-15 ExpressLink project finished, adding express lanes in each direction from 500 North to the Interstate 215 interchange and replacing bridges at U.S. 89, Beck Street and 1000 North.

For all the work done during the 2010 road construction season, it was not as much as the previous two years.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which focused on infrastructure projects that could provide immediate jobs to help boost the economy, bumped up last year's totals.

"We did a lot of work this year," said UDOT Region One spokesman Vic Saunders. "We didn't have quite as much as 2009, but a few of the projects we did have were pretty monumental in terms of what they will do for the region."
Standard Examiner
http://www.standard.net/topics/const...n-construction

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:00 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Well I have some bad news and some good news.

First the bad news. Getting pictures of the actual developing part of the Airport TRAX line is very hard to do by foot.

And as can be ascertained in this photo I attempted this evening, I don't have a very good skill yet when it comes to putting my desired elements of a given shot into focus (notice how the dumpster is the focal point in this picture ).

The Good news is that I have no problem trespassing and that I'm going to be taking free online classes that came with my camera.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:51 AM

You know I bet they don't lock any of those doors to City Creek.. so, you know..

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 4:14 AM

City Creek Center

All the doors at City Creek are locked at night unless there are workers in the immediate are, and any gates have security guards.

Also the site is a 24 hour site for the most part so there are always people on site. I know for a fact that a couple people have been fined for trespassing. Not the best idea.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 6:36 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
You know I bet they don't lock any of those doors to City Creek.. so, you know..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CofIKid View Post
All the doors at City Creek are locked at night unless there are workers in the immediate are, and any gates have security guards.

Also the site is a 24 hour site for the most part so there are always people on site. I know for a fact that a couple people have been fined for trespassing. Not the best idea.
OK, so CofIKid can be in charge of drawing a map with all the guard locations and can track our movements.

John can scope out the area for unlocked doors or perhaps distract a guard.

And I'll slip in and spend about 30 minutes trying to figure out how to focus my camera while trying to get one shot from within the project.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 12:18 PM

Mayor Ralph Becker: Streetcar success reflects state of Salt Lake City

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...Lake-City.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Ralph Becker left most of his trophies on the shelf Tuesday night, preferring to showcase the one he says best reflects the state of Salt Lake City.

Departing from the traditional listing of accomplishments, Mayor Becker kept his State of the City address short and focused on the future by highlighting one of his administration's top priorities of 2010: the Sugar House streetcar.

"This project reflects — in style and in substance — the goals, values and priorities we have set for our great city," Becker said during his 17-minute speech at the Salt Lake City-County Building. "It exemplifies our continued commitment to move Salt Lake City forward despite challenging economic conditions." ...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 10:43 PM
Lurker

Becker definitely has my vote. He's doing great things for Salt Lake City!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 5:06 PM
Chairman

New Domestic Air Service

SLC Air Route Update:

United Airlines plans to commence once daily non-stop service from SLC to IAD (Washington Dulles) starting April 3. As of current information from www.mwaa.com, UA659 will depart SLC around 7:50am and arrive at IAD around 1:50pm local time. The return flight, UA177 will depart IAD around 6:50pm and arrive at SLC around 9:25pm local time. Both flights will utilize an A319 aircraft.

Happy Flying.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 6:10 PM

That's good to hear. They had this flight several years ago didn't they?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
That's good to hear. They had this flight several years ago didn't they?
I don't believe United has ever had a SLC-IAD flight..

I am excited about this. My father is a retired United captain, so I can still get buddy passes. It's nice to have a nonstop to the east coast now without having to go through Chicago...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 12:52 AM

Correct, this is the first time United has operated this route. It was announced shortly after United and Continental announced their intent to merge.

Delta also flies SLC-IAD non-stop.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 4:55 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post

Correct, this is the first time United has operated this route. It was announced shortly after United and Continental announced their intent to merge.

Delta also flies SLC-IAD non-stop.

In addition, Delta flies non-stop SLC-DCA and SLC-BWI. Also Southwest flies non-stop SLC-BWI.

I am a United miles member. This non-stop flight will be very convenient.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 8:39 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

UDOT: 500 South is finished

Quote:
WOODS CROSS — After more than two years of construction, the 500 South project is finished.

The Utah Department of Transportation announced this week that the project is substantially complete and fully functional for motorists.

As part of the project, UDOT reconstructed 500 South from Redwood Road to I-15, making it a five-lane roadway with two lanes in each direction and a center lane.

Additional improvements include 12-foot shoulders to accommodate street parking, bike lanes, a raised median with several openings in select business locations, sidewalk, parkstrip and landscaping.

The state also corrected some drainage problems along the corridor and made some safety improvements to the FrontRunner and Union Pacific rail crossing in the area.

UDOT Region One spokesman Vic Saunders said the only remaining work to be done on the road is mostly cosmetic.

"Most of the work within the roadway is done," he said. "There are still a few items left before it’s completely finished, but the road is functional and ready to be used."

Once the Legacy Parkway was finished in September 2008, it brought congestion to 500 South, making it difficult for residents in Woods Cross and West Bountiful to access the new road.

During the same year, the Utah Transit Authority built a FrontRunner Park and Ride lot on the road, causing even more congestion on the major east/west arterial.

Saunders said the new construction will improve future mobility in the area, alleviate congestion and provide safer access to and from properties along the corridor.

"When Legacy opened, there was a great deal more traffic in that area," he said. "And for Legacy to work properly, you’ve got to have east/west routes that are flowing smoothly and get you there quickly. This project was a part of that."

The project was delayed in 2008 because of funding uncertainties but received American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Funds that allowed it to continue.
Standard-Examiner
http://www.standard.net/topics/const...south-finished

This segment of 500 S. runs from the Legacy Parkway to I-15. It is also the terminus of Redwood Road. With how wide this road is and how relatively unpopulated the area is, this would be a great street to drag race on after mid-night.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
UDOT: 500 South is finished

Standard-Examiner
http://www.standard.net/topics/const...south-finished

This segment of 500 S. runs from the Legacy Parkway to I-15. It is also the terminus of Redwood Road. With how wide this road is and how relatively unpopulated the area is, this would be a great street to drag race on after mid-night.
This is funny. A portion of 500 S in Salt Lake, from about 1700 W to I-15, has also been re-done recently, though it was totally unnecessary and a huge waste of money (also 5 lanes, bike lanes, wide shoulders, etc.. for an industrial area that gets hardly any traffic). The city now wants to extend the project westward past 3400 W, and the property owners are pissed. My dad owns a lot of undeveloped land along this segment and is about the only property owner that could potentially benefit from this, and the cost to him would be approximately $450,000... not exactly easy to pay for for a property that isn't making any money. Bike lanes, sidewalks, street lighting, two lanes in each direction, a center turning lane, and wide shoulders are all proposed and are ridiculous "improvements" in a purely industrial area with little traffic. There is currently a two lane road that serves the area perfectly fine. I know what you mean about the street racing.. these stretches of road are also long and deserted at night, they probably shouldn't be made any smoother...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 12:26 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
This is funny. A portion of 500 S in Salt Lake, from about 1700 W to I-15, has also been re-done recently, though it was totally unnecessary and a huge waste of money (also 5 lanes, bike lanes, wide shoulders, etc.. for an industrial area that gets hardly any traffic). The city now wants to extend the project westward past 3400 W, and the property owners are pissed. My dad owns a lot of undeveloped land along this segment and is about the only property owner that could potentially benefit from this, and the cost to him would be approximately $450,000... not exactly easy to pay for for a property that isn't making any money. Bike lanes, sidewalks, street lighting, two lanes in each direction, a center turning lane, and wide shoulders are all proposed and are ridiculous "improvements" in a purely industrial area with little traffic. There is currently a two lane road that serves the area perfectly fine.
According to the article a very good portion of the 500 S. (Bountiful/WX) was funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. I would be willing to guess that your segment of 500 S. in SLC got the same funding.

In the case of our 500 S. (Bountiful/WX) I think it was a much needed improvement because of the traffic snarls coming from commuters moving between Legacy and I-15. Before the project you used to have to wait for a couple minutes just to get onto 500 S. from the FrontRunner Park and Ride. Not to mention that the bike lanes now make it so you can safely ride your bike from in town in Bountiful out to the new bike trails along the Legacy Parkway Project.

I does sound like with your 500 S. that they are just trying to spend money for the fun of it. But that is what happens when the Federal Government gives out money and it has a spending deadline. I saw a recent story on the news where UDOT is actually panicking because they aren't spending our Pork fast enough and thus taking a risk of losing it.

Quote:
I know what you mean about the street racing.. these stretches of road are also long and deserted at night, they probably shouldn't be made any smoother...
500 S. (Bountiful/WX) has 2 separate areas where train lines cross the road. Before you used to feel their presence, but now it's about as smooth as they come. There is one stop light at the beginning of the new road by I-15 and one at the end by Legacy. This will be a very popular place with the teenagers who like to soup up their cars, I hereby prophesy.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 1:18 AM

Beck Street

Question? what can be done to clean up Beck street? Theres alot going on to fix N.Temple..Could Beck street be cleaned up also? It desperately needs it!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 3:43 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachforthesky View Post
Question? what can be done to clean up Beck street? Theres alot going on to fix N.Temple..Could Beck street be cleaned up also? It desperately needs it!
Are you talking about Beck Street itself (A) or the area (B)?

A. Beck Street had a pretty good repaving in 2007. Not too long afterward I-15 from 600 N. in SLC to where I-15 meets I 215 in Davis County was overhauled and paved with 40 concrete, with high mast lighting in the center and an extended carpool/pay lane. This segment of I-15 was finished this summer.

So with an improved I-15 through the general Beck Street area capable of pulling some serious weight, the possibility of a future overhaul of Beck Street itself has definitely improved (concrete road with 6 vehicle lanes and 2 bike lanes).

However, any kind of overhaul of Beck Street is really hinging on when a Light Rail line or a Street Car line is finally approved for South Davis County.

http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/SD_2-...00WOption1.pdf

B. The Beck Street Area consists of strip mines (concrete and asphalt), 1 strip club, 1 dive bar and a row of refineries. There really isn't anything there and it isn't unsafe, it's just a void.

I think we are going to be living with the refineries for some time, but I just don't know how much longer the strip mine can continue with everyone building around its edges.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 6:33 AM
Lurker

While we're on the topic of the proposed South Davis County rail project, how seriously are they considering building this. I haven't heard about it from anywhere outside of this forum (to be fair, I don't watch the news or read the paper.)

Also, It seems to me that TRAX would be a better option than a streetcar because the proposed route would be a very long streetcar line and a lot of it just goes through the refineries. Unless the streets are too narrow or people are opposed to light rail, why go with a streetcar?

(I'm not against building a streetcar line, I would love it! I'm just wondering why it would be the better choice.)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Are you talking about Beck Street itself (A) or the area (B)?

A. Beck Street had a pretty good repaving in 2007. Not too long afterward I-15 from 600 N. in SLC to where I-15 meets I 215 in Davis County was overhauled and paved with 40 concrete, with high mast lighting in the center and an extended carpool/pay lane. This segment of I-15 was finished this summer.

So with an improved I-15 through the general Beck Street area capable of pulling some serious weight, the possibility of a future overhaul of Beck Street itself has definitely improved (concrete road with 6 vehicle lanes and 2 bike lanes).

However, any kind of overhaul of Beck Street is really hinging on when a Light Rail line or a Street Car line is finally approved for South Davis County.

http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/SD_2-...00WOption1.pdf

B. The Beck Street Area consists of strip mines (concrete and asphalt), 1 strip club, 1 dive bar and a row of refineries. There really isn't anything there and it isn't unsafe, it's just a void.

I think we are going to be living with the refineries for some time, but I just don't know how much longer the strip mine can continue with everyone building around its edges.
Oh, im speaking about the area. Its not really one of the nicest entrances to downtown..Pretty rundown and unfriendly. I usually stay away from it when I can and I for sure don't take friends visiting SLC on a tour through there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West