HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 3:51 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know I've said it before, but this example, along with what has happened wit Holy Family Church in Lawrenceville, and the long delay in opening a grocery store on Penn Avenue in Garfield, has convinced me that Pittsburgh needs major changes to its zoning code.

As it stands now, virtually every sensible development - particularly of size - needs some sort of zoning variances to go forward. This is a huge issue because the handing out of variances is not routine. While we can claim that the zoning and planning commissions will green light projects which meet with appropriate standards along with community approval, the fact of the matter is that basically any project which requires variances can be blocked by a couple NIMBYs who are willing to hire a lawyer. This is totally unacceptable. It's unfortunately a very common problem in cities across America, but cities themselves would never have been built if we had this system in place in the 19th century. It's literally impossible to build Shadyside, let alone South Side, under existing Pittsburgh zoning rules.
Agreed. Unacceptable.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 5:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Note to self: If and when I would ever get into real estate development, try not to ever apply for zoning variances. Seems to be the kiss of death. People never agree on anything. I don't see how developers ever accomplish anything at all.

$

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 6:18 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
$
Are you insinuating that palms are being greased?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Are you insinuating that palms are being greased?
Reminds me of a few years back, when Deb Gross proposed the Pittsburgh Land Bank. A few other city councilpeople were opposed unless there were modiciations, including Ricky Burgess. IIRC they basically wanted to have a "pocket veto" which allowed them to reject the sale of any property through the land bank in their district. I don't see any reason other than rank corruption for this.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
Good news on progress of the over 700 unit student housing in Oakland by Park7: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300307731.html
Who is the architect on this project? I can't seem to find out anywhere. It appears that its an out-of-town firm. I wonder who will be the local associate architect....

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 9:48 PM

Can we refrain from using acronyms not used by the general public.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 1:47 AM

Lol

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 7:03 AM
Mr. Technology

I don't know much about Pittsburgh, but has any developer ever considered building across the rivers?

So much growth potential or is your perfect skyline a finished project?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 12:12 PM

was this posted earlier? I didn't see it, but ran across the article this morning...

New 17-story apartment building going up near Pitt, CMU

Quote:
Construction is underway on the project on Centre Avenue at North Craig Street. The building should be ready to take on tenants after its summer 2018 completion, the developers said.

The $106 million project is being undertaken as a joint venture by EdR and Park7 Group, which develop, own, manage and operate collegiate housing communities, officials with the firms said. The building will have 723 beds in studio, one- two- and three-bedroom accommodations.

The development also will include 10,000 square feet of retail space.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 2:09 AM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
I don't know much about Pittsburgh, but has any developer ever considered building across the rivers?

So much growth potential or is your perfect skyline a finished project?
Too many building ordinances outside the city center for any real high rise build up.
Height restrictions outside of downtown and across the river is one thing. And preserving the esthetic view I somewhat understand.
But these zoning boards have and will squashed many moderate developments in uptown and the Strip district.
The only two true extensions of the city's business district. The powers that be seem not to have the ability to change and "think bigger".
Taking pride in this notion that Pittsburgh needs to stay this quirky little city.
While big ideas follow money. Pgh seems content on staying a small time player and play it safe.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 2:11 AM
Mr. Technology

Pittsburgh has to win an award for the best small skyline - period!

In fact, there needs to be several skyline categories for awards.
But yes, the rivers really make the skyline so perfect.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 4:31 PM

Out: Spaghetti Warehouse (Strip District)

Quote:
Spaghetti Warehouse, a longtime Strip District restaurant, is closing its doors.

The restaurant's last day of business will be Aug. 28, according to a announcement released Sunday evening.

The restaurant, located on Smallman Street, added that it is evaluating its future in the market, "including the possibility of opening at a new location."
http://www.post-gazette.com/life/din...s/201608150104

In: Sheetz Cafe (Oakland)

Quote:
In March 2015, Sheetz decided to capitalize on millennials — now the nation’s largest population group — by opening its first Sheetz Cafe in Morgantown, W.Va., just blocks from the West Virginia University campus. This was the first fuel-free Sheetz convenience store with a focus on food and beverage offerings — as well as selling beer. A location in downtown State College near the Penn State campus also is a student hot spot.

Now a third location has opened here near Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and there are plans to open one in Oakland near Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh. No timeline or location has been announced.
http://www.post-gazette.com/life/foo...s/201608100015

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 6:01 PM

Some good stuff from Schooley that is unfortunately all paywalled:

US Steel keeping headquarters in Steel Building until 2028
Frankly I think this is a good thing. Keeps occupancy numbers in line and their plans for new development were incredibly uninspiring. Maybe a shift in the market over the next 12 years will have them feeling more ambitious by then.

UBER continues to expand it's real estate holdings in the Strip
This is no surprise to anyone that's been down there recently. After 6 PM on the eastern end of Smallman, 3 of 4 pedestrians that you walk past are UBER employees leaving work or out walking around.

Michael Baker looking at Post Gazette's abandoned HQ at Point State Park
They were mentioned as a possibility for the Penguins vacated US Steel design. This is probably a net-gain to have them here. The structure isn't anything great, but it's a nice plot and I'm sure they'd pump some cash into it to bring it up to current standards. And more importantly it eliminates another viable entity for that awful design in the Hill.

CORE is out on the Pittsburgh Brewery Site
This site is going to be preserved until it rots. It's just not functional between location, setting, pre-existing conditions, etc. I'll be pretty surprised if anything ever happens here. I could see the factory being leveled maybe and them fancying up the facades along Liberty.

Mike Feinberg building looking to lease out open floors
Noteworthy because it would be an interesting case study in that area. It's an interesting way to increase daytime density to the area and fortify some of the businesses. Certainly wouldn't hurt. I'm sure parking will come up....

Good work from Tim.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crash View Post
Out: Spaghetti Warehouse (Strip District)
Oxford bought the Spaghetti Warehouse building as an annex to Three Crossings last September. At the time they said they were committed to keeping it a restaurant, but unsure if they were going to keep Spaghetti Warehouse. I guess they (rightly) concluded that given the changing mix of people in the area something higher class (not to mention tastier) would do better in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFW523 View Post
CORE is out on the Pittsburgh Brewery Site
This site is going to be preserved until it rots. It's just not functional between location, setting, pre-existing conditions, etc. I'll be pretty surprised if anything ever happens here. I could see the factory being leveled maybe and them fancying up the facades along Liberty.
I feel like Liberty Avenue in general needs a gigantic redesign before anything on the south side of the street before the Bloomfield Bridge will be desirable. It's such a high-speed, high-traffic street - not at all pleasant to cross on foot. Until such time as this is dealt with, I think this whole area will languish.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 10:26 PM

If Michael Baker takes hold of the Post Gazette site, I believe it will be in their own building. Not only is there a big sign hanging from the side of the building referring to a pre-demo auction, an employee there also mentioned that the building is going down. As a side note, he has also told me that the morale in that company is incredibly terrible...everyone wondering whose job is going next.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:04 AM

I'm honestly a little surprised US Steel decided to renew their lease in the Steel Building for that long. I am also relieved by it they've committed to staying Downtown and hope they can get it together soon to remain a viable local company.

Not too upset by the end of the Spaghetti Warehouse as well, I think even Del's had better food than them the last time I went there.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:18 PM

I am looking at a hard copy of the lattest Pittsburgh Business Times right now. Tim Schooley notes that three major residential projects - The 300-unit Station Square apartment complex, the 352 unit Walnut Capital apartment in Pittsburgh Technology Center, and 360 apartment units on Buncher land behind the Terminal - are all way behind schedule, with the first two seemingly delayed indefinitely.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 4:01 PM

Not sure if anyone caught this in the PG

PG pimping out Brian's Gondolas in Medellin.

Interesting times ahead, but I just have a hard time conceptualizing such a massive shift in preference in the US, to eschew automobile culture on such a grand scale that mass transit theory is completely overhauled. Especially with the potential of automation and what that means.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:40 AM

I think it is more likely than not we will eventually build some taller buildings along the Ohio River toward the West End Bridge. But eventually can take a while to happen.

The pre-renovation Post Gazette building was pretty cool and it would be somewhat bittersweet to see it get entirely demo'ed, but on the other hand you could do a lot with that entire plot.

Here is a nicer image of the planned cap-park over Crosstown:

Part of the appeal of aerial gondolas is they are relatively low-cost and quick to build, and therefore easily scalable too. So you can start with a relatively modest system, and if that proves popular you can then start expanding pretty rapidly.

Still, getting the incredibly clunky U.S. transportation planning and funding system behind even that first modest step is no easy task. But who knows--maybe a new federal transportation bill will happen at some point, and make some room for a project like this.

Last edited by BrianTH; Aug 17, 2016 at 12:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Part of the appeal of aerial gondolas is they are relatively low-cost and quick to build, and therefore easily scalable too. So you can start with a relatively modest system, and if that proves popular you can then start expanding pretty rapidly.

Still, getting the incredibly clunky U.S. transportation planning and funding system behind even that first modest step is no easy task. But who knows--maybe a new federal transportation bill will happen at some point, and make some room for a project like this.
Agreed 100%. It is infrastructure that is tailor made for this area. It's relatively inexpensive, it works with the topographical challenges, it's incredibly utilitarian, it's scale-able, and its funky in a "we are just kind of over here doing our own thing" kind of way. It would be an instant success. But quite frankly it's something that a policy-maker with a spine has to champion, and sort of be the person to tell their constituency "this is what's good for you...we are going to do it".

On an unrelated note...

SkyVue has a pretty cool video up on their page

Does a good job of illustrating the footprint and impact it has on the area, if the construction site didn't quite already give that impression.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations