HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:47 PM

Leake Avenue

The RPC put out an RFP for improvements to Leake Avenue, which runs along the river Uptown between Jefferson Parish and Audubon Park. The improvements would be between the parish line and Broadway Avenue.

http://www.norpc.org/assets/pdf-docu..._Leake_Ave.pdf

Quote:
A wide range of project goals will be discussed with the PMC (project management committee) and community, including shifting the roadway closer to the NOPB railroad, widening the existing sidewalk on the neighborhood side of Leake Avenue, adding a sidewalk or bike/ped facility on the railroad side of Leake Avenue, linear park access elements, landscaping, parking facilities (roadside or off-road), pedestrian path lighting, and various beautification elements: i.e., decorative sidewalk and lighting, benches, water features, other enhancements, and visual screening of the railroad tracks.
Great news if this actually happens!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:47 PM

Leake Avenue

I'd be thrilled if Leake Avenue someday connected to Tchoupitoulas Street, behind the Zoo. That would reduce traffic on Magazine, and help traffic flow generally around the city much better, especially around Mardi Gras time.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

On another note, Lake Pontchartrain Lighthouse Update:

(Photo taken from Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation's Facebook page)

Last edited by Blitzen; Apr 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:22 PM

Found another link for the info on population: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...s_webinar.html

On nola.com it says that St. Bernard was the second-fastest growing and Orleans the 9th. As much as I'd like to think this represents "real" growth, which would be more sustainable, the St. Bernard stat in particular suggests that this is still more people moving back home, and a lot of those possibly came from elsewhere in the Metro; St. Tammany only grew two percent. I'm certainly not opposed to people going back home but it's been seven years now and I just don't think there's that much of that type of growth left.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I'd be thrilled if Leake Avenue someday connected to Tchoupitoulas Street, behind the Zoo. That would reduce traffic on Magazine, and help traffic flow generally around the city much better, especially ...
How would you suggest they go about doing that?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
How would you suggest they go about doing that?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Found another link for the info on population: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...s_webinar.html

On nola.com it says that St. Bernard was the second-fastest growing and Orleans the 9th. As much as I'd like to think this represents "real" growth, which would be more sustainable, the St. Bernard stat in particular suggests that this is still more people moving back home, and a lot of those possibly came from elsewhere in the Metro; St. Tammany only grew two percent. I'm certainly not opposed to people going back home but it's been seven years now and I just don't think there's that much of that type of growth left.
While we may still have people moving back home, this may be sustainable. Eight of the 20 fastest growing MSAs are in Texas and 31 of the 50 are in warm weather states.

If we can continue to build on our economic momentum, I think the New Orleans and Baton Rouge areas can be regulars on this list. We had about 1.36 million people pre-Katrina. If we continue to grow at 2% per year, we would hit that in 2018. If we grow by 1% per year, we would hit it in 2024.

Ultimately, this starts with our economy and political environment, is supported by our warm weather and culture, and is only possible if we have good storm protection.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:25 AM
TL;DR

It would be way cheaper just to upgrade the park roadway between Magazine and Tchoup that runs past the stables. Get rid of that stupid bus turnaround and extend the Tchoup bus (and Magazine bus) to a transfer point at St Charles/Carrollton.

Put in a stoplight where the park roadway meets Magazine. The new road should be two lanes wide with a buffered bike lane. Parallel parking along that road could allow Audubon to reduce the size of parking lots elsewhere and create more, better green space.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 5:50 AM

@ Chris from N.O. Thanks for catching the new census link. Have no idea why they got rid of the other page after one day.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 1:49 PM

Small Updates

Here are some small updates from my drive down Carondelet this morning:

1. 845(ish) Carondelet - The building next to Global Green and across from Stephen's Garage that is supposed to be a restaurant and gym now has "caution" tape blocking off the sidewalk. Hopefully they'll get started on removing all the debris soon (collapsed building behind the facade). Here's the googlemaps link:

http://g.co/maps/kh73x - Note the swinging pool palace next door...Umm get me the hookup!

2. 701 Carondelet - What I refer to as the old school book depository (across from Ditcharo's) looks like they're almost done sheet rocking. Can't wait til they pressure wash the exterior!

3. Drury Inn - They removed the large mound of dirt that had accumulated during the drilling of the test pile. Also saw an 18 wheeler delivering what looked to be a bunch of rebar. I assume this is for the static piles or whatever you called them..can't remember (drilling hole, insert concrete. as opposed to driving piles).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:30 PM

Quote:
I assume this is for the static piles or whatever you called them..can't remember (drilling hole, insert concrete. as opposed to driving piles)
Probably drill shafts.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:12 PM

The Iberia Bank on the corner of St. Charles and Louisiana looks like it is about to open. The building fronts St. Charles in the middle of the lot. Can't figure out what they will put on the big open space on the corner though, it looks like it will just be grass.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:12 PM
-

Construction has really picked up on the Civic Theatre(i know cause it wakes me up every morning lol). I should be able to tour it sometime this month so will certainly take pictures of the inside.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
The Iberia Bank on the corner of St. Charles and Louisiana looks like it is about to open. The building fronts St. Charles in the middle of the lot. Can't figure out what they will put on the big open space on the corner though, it looks like it will just be grass.
I know I saw something about a sign for them on the City Planning agenda.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:40 PM

What would you like on the Corner of Common and Loyola?

GNORealEstateNews.com has a photo of a new sign at Wiznia's Saratoga Development. Apparently they're using Neighborland to ask "What businesses do you want here?”

They've received 143 ideas so far. I'm not sure how they'll end up using it, but I think it's a pretty neat idea for building buzz.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:11 PM
-

Heres a cool new concept in the Maritime Building.

http://downtownnola.com/news/detail/14628

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Construction has really picked up on the Civic Theatre(i know cause it wakes me up every morning lol). I should be able to tour it sometime this month so will certainly take pictures of the inside.
Do you know what kind of events they are planning to use it for?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:18 PM
-

The Civic Theatre is planning to host local and national acts. Ranging from corporate parties to djs, comedy shows and fashion shows.

New Building in Metairie
Metairie Manor IV
Metairie, LA $10,000,000 4-19-2012
3:00 PM Harold Reed
This project is to build a new 5 story, 82 unit apartment building consisting of a pile supported concrete structure, post tension concrete floor slabs, brick veneer, chilled water air conditioning, paving, landscaping, and fencing.

Renovation -
735 Bourbon
7 Addenda New Orleans, LA $2,000,000 4-10-2012
2:00 PM Marjean Gohd
Renovation of existing building to include demolition and construction on new Courtyard roofing and associated components; demolition, construction and alterations of the balconies and exterior stairs, exterior wall cladding, HVAC, plumbing, electrical and lighting, associated interior finishes and new interior and exterior millwork.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:20 PM

Gibbs Retail at Baronne and Poydras

Cool news about the Civic, but what about the corner stores? They haven't really worked on those stores since before the SEC championship. Through the windows you can see that the floors have been dug out and not replaced. Seems like they are waiting on build out plans?

Hope this isn't a bad sign. Also, not extremely pleased with the color or finishes of the building. Green! eck. but that is personal taste.

I guess I just assumed that everyone thought the correct repaint color for the warehouse district and downtown was a cool, sharp grey. : )

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:30 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
2. 701 Carondelet - What I refer to as the old school book depository (across from Ditcharo's) looks like they're almost done sheet rocking. Can't wait til they pressure wash the exterior!
sorry for sheet rocking

Quote:
3. Drury Inn - They removed the large mound of dirt that had accumulated during the drilling of the test pile. Also saw an 18 wheeler delivering what looked to be a bunch of rebar. I assume this is for the static piles or whatever you called them..can't remember (drilling hole, insert concrete. as opposed to driving piles).
caissons.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:37 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Cool news about the Civic, but what about the corner stores? They haven't really worked on those stores since before the SEC championship. Through the windows you can see that the floors have been dug out and not replaced. Seems like they are waiting on build out plans?

Hope this isn't a bad sign. Also, not extremely pleased with the color or finishes of the building. Green! eck. but that is personal taste.

I guess I just assumed that everyone thought the correct repaint color for the warehouse district and downtown was a cool, sharp grey. : )
I think they look awesome. I'm undecided about the paint color but the new storefronts are effin' awesome compared to the terrible old dilapidated plywood ones.

Old:

source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations