HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 12:53 AM
Trendy.

Corporate Realty wants to build two hotels on 20th

The other is largely unknown at this point though, but I am going to go out on a limb and say it will be a full service Hyatt Regency, since CR s already working with the Global Hyatt Corporation to build the Hyatt Place on the Tom Williams site.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 1:50 AM

Corporate Realty wants to build a 16-story hotel/office/condo mixed-use facility just a few blocks down from the 6-story hotel. I'm hopeful they'll upgrade to 20+ stories though. Is Hyatt often involved in many of these mixed use facilities?

I wonder what the large hotel that Haney was wanting to build over near the BJCC... especially since those plans may be coming back to the forefront.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 2:47 AM
Trendy.

Westin.

Yes, Hyatt is involved in projects such as these. Every hotel operator is these days - it's the trendy thing to do!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Corporate Realty wants to build two hotels on 20th

The other is largely unknown at this point though, but I am going to go out on a limb and say it will be a full service Hyatt Regency, since CR s already working with the Global Hyatt Corporation to build the Hyatt Place on the Tom Williams site.
Oh....

Glad CR's site keeps us updated, then...........

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 6:47 PM
WAR EAGLE

Regional Planning Commission of Greater Birmingham

The Regional Planning Commission of Greater Birmingham has hired a new Executive Director. Mr. Charles E. Ball, AICP, accepted the position and began on December 11th. On January 31st at the RPC Annual meeting, he will give a presentation outlining his vision for the RPC of Greater Birmingham.

Is anyone planning on attending the meeting? It would be good to know his vision for the RPC.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 4:23 PM

UAB breaks ground on cancer radiation center
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
ANNA VELASCO
News staff writer

UAB Hospital has started construction on a radiation oncology center where more than 30,000 cancer patients a year will get treatment.

The Hazelrig-Salter Radiation Oncology Facility should open in a year and replace the 30-year-old Lurleen B. Wallace Tumor Institute. The $22.5 million, 50,000-square-foot building will front Sixth Avenue South, between 17th and 18th streets, and sit across from UAB's Spain Rehabilitation Center.

The new center will have larger vaults for the massive radiation equipment used today and more space for the hospital's ever increasing number of cancer patients from Alabama and the Southeast.

"The program has simply outgrown the clinical and administrative space we have now," said David Hoidal, UAB Health System's chief executive officer, at Tuesday's groundbreaking ceremony.

The radiation center ultimately will connect to the future Women and Infants' Facility. Construction of that center for obstetrics and women's services should begin this spring. The University of Alabama at Birmingham has spent the last several years relocating restaurants and a warehouse to clear the city block for the projects and had to use its power of eminent domain to force several property owners to move.

The Wallace Tumor Institute likely will be used for cancer research once the radiation center relocates.

The new radiation center not only will be able to house the latest technology but also will provide a better healing atmosphere, important for patients who sometimes get treatment five days a week for six to eight weeks, said Dr. James A. Bonner, UAB's radiation oncology chairman. Patient rooms will be more cheerful. Children and adults will have separate waiting rooms. An open space next to the center with trees, benches and a fountain will be a place of reflection and renewal for patients and their families.

"It will have at its heart a very holistic and human approach to medicine," Bonner said.

Retired businessman Jim Limbaugh has donated $1 million to create the James Limbaugh Family Park of Hope at Sixth Avenue South and 18th Street, UAB officials announced Tuesday. The former automobile dealership owner gave the gift in honor of his wife, Phyllis, who died of lymphoma cancer in 1981.

UAB has raised $11 million from more than 400 donors for the radiation oncology facility and hopes to raise $4 million more. The largest gift, and one of the largest in UAB history, came from Mountain Brook businessman W. Cobb "Chip" Hazelrig, who donated $5 million. Hazelrig is giving the money in honor of his parents, Virginia and the late J. William Hazelrig, and their longtime friends, Drs. Paul and Merle Salter.

The 600,000-square-foot, $140 million Women and Infants' Facility should be completed in early 2009, a year after the radiation center opens.

E-mail: avelasco@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 5:37 PM
I concede

Is it just me, or did the design of the SSA building change a little bit? I don't recall seeing the glass facade on the previous renderings.

UPDATE: After looking at some previous renderings (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...95485&page=26), it doesn't appear anything has changed except the color of the brick, which is now warmer and darker. For some reason, it changed the entire look of the building to me.

(Note: This, I believe, is a rendering of the previous design before the slight changes were made)

Last edited by B'ham Bound; Jan 10, 2007 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 5:55 PM
I concede

Relating to the SSA project... 14th Street will be receiving a makeover from 10th Avenue South around the UAB campus to 8th Avenue North where 14th terminates at the entrance of the new SSA Building. This news is over a month old but I don't recall seeing it posted earlier, so...

Quote:
City's 14th St. corridor to get makeover
Birmingham Business Journal - November 24, 2006
by Lauren B. Cooper (Staff)

Birmingham's well-worn 14th Street, from 10th Avenue South to Eighth Avenue North, is scheduled for a facelift.

Chris Hatcher, vice president of planning for Operation New Birmingham, said improvements to the street will include general streetscape improvements like curbs, sidewalks, trees, lighting and other infrastructure, making the street more pedestrian and vehicle friendly.

Hatcher said $1.2 million has been allotted for the repairs - 80 percent coming from the Alabama Department of Transportation's Congestion Mitigation Air Quality fund and 20 percent matched by the City of Birmingham.

ONB hopes the improvements will serve to better connect the University of Alabama at Birmingham with downtown Birmingham and the Entrepreneurial District, which is roughly bordered by Morris Avenue and Third Avenue North, and 11th and 18th Streets, and includes the currently renovated Entrepreneurial Center's Innovation Depot.

Hatcher said ONB's plan to turn one-way streets into two-way streets will not be part of this project, but will be part of the city's master plan for some downtown Birmingham streets. A portion of 14th Street, from Second Avenue North to Eighth Avenue North, is one-way heading north.

Hatcher anticipates a nine- to 12-month planning process with construction beginning in mid 2008. He said local architectural firm KPS Group Inc. will serve as consultant on the project.

Susan Matlock, president of the Entrepreneurial Center, said the improvements will help UAB and the Entrepreneurial District feel like a part of each other.

"It will make the whole area - beginning with the railroad tracks and into the campus - more attractive for development," she said.

Matlock said since ONB's workshop in October, "Untapped Opportunities: The Entrepreneurial District," she has seen more interest in the Entrepreneurial District and in Innovation Depot, making improvements to the road running to the heart of the district and ending at the Social Security Administration's building more important.

Renewed interest by existing property owners in the district has picked up as well, Matlock said. "Those property owners have started thinking about what options and opportunities there could be."

Matlock said the Entrepreneurial Center is still on track to move into the 145,000-square-foot Innovation Depot by April.

Hatcher believes the Entrepreneurial District, the Railroad Reservation Park, which recently broke ground, and the $20 million University House Birmingham, located on 14th Street and Second Avenue North, will spur further development.

The city's Railroad Reservation Park is expected to begin construction in the next year and, once completed, will stretch from Titusville to Sloss Furnaces.
I'm disappointed that 14th's northern section won't be converted into a two-way street yet... Looks like that will happen a few years from now when the city starts to implement it's master plan -- and we all know how long that might take.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 7:53 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound View Post
Is it just me, or did the design of the SSA building change a little bit? I don't recall seeing the glass facade on the previous renderings.

UPDATE: After looking at some previous renderings (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...95485&page=26), it doesn't appear anything has changed except the color of the brick, which is now warmer and darker. For some reason, it changed the entire look of the building to me.
I was curious as to which of the two sets of renderings was the latest one, so I compared the photos I shot a couple of weeks ago (see page 35 of the Birmingham Development News 2006 thread), and it does appear that the ones you posted are indeed the final design. Some of the minor changes I noticed in addition to the change in brick color are:
  1. the zigzag roof over the entryway ends pointing up instead down
  2. the junction of the 2-story base and the tower on the left side is different
  3. the notch in the 2-story base facing 8th Ave N has been altered
  4. the suspended awning on that same side has been removed
  5. the glass seems to be more reflective now
  6. overall, the architectural details seem to have been toned down (I guess it was too avant-garde and not conservative enough for the person or persons who made the final decision)
Items 1 and 2 and the warmer brick can be seen in the aforementioned photos I posted in the other thread.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 12:45 AM
I concede

Thanks for the breakdown, Randy. I was beginning to think I was going crazy. I knew something had changed, I just couldn't put my finger on it. Off Topic: The new Transportation Building (I believe that's what it will be called) next to Lowder is progressing nicely.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 7:39 AM

Red Mountain Park Master Plan Unveiling....

Quote:
What: Unveiling of the RMPMaster Plan
When: Tues Jan 23, 5:30-7:00 PM
Where: Birmingham Museum of Art, Steiner Auditorium (2000 8th Ave N, 35203)
Why: To see the final draft Master Plan and get involved with what's coming next!

The Red Mountain Park is a proposed 1,108 acre park (30% bigger than Central Park) stretching 4.5 miles along Red Mountain’s crest, just southwest of Downtown.

The park can be one of the greatest urban parks in the nation, a regional quality of life destination, and a catalyst for community development. Preliminary plans from 3 public design meetings called for a 64-mile network of connecting hiking, biking, and equestrian trails- 18+ miles within the park and 48+ miles of regional connector trails- plus dog park, picnic areas, meadows, ridge top overlooks, mining history and environmental preservation sites, a natural ampitheater, a 20 acre lake, and possibly sports fields. The Master Plan unveiled on Jan 23 will tie it all together.

The park is a huge anchor in Birmingham's green movement, one part in our ongoing positive transformation from industrial community to quality of life leader.

Along with Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve's planned expansion and the proposed Railroad Reservation Park, Red Mountain Park will make Birmingham the #1 city in the U.S. for shared, public green space per capita!

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 4:41 PM

^ Any of you planning to attend this that can post an update for us? I have class during that time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 7:06 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Clairmont Ave development that was going to be across from Highland Golf Course? I think Foundation Methods, LLC was behind that project. I can't find any updates concerning this proposed development. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Biscuit97; Jan 18, 2007 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
^ Any of you planning to attend this that can post an update for us? I have class during that time.
I'll be at work.. :\

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 9:37 PM

Not really a Physical Development but a huge news story nonetheless(that I 1st dropped the rumors of late last year). It's really gonna suck to listen to Paul without Vickers at his side, like the breakup of a great duo. At least Dunnaway and Brown(2 of the biggest 'Bama clowns around) will have their show's hours reduced and Herb Winches is off JOX for good so there's that much to be smiling about. Good luck Paul and to Neal, I hope he lands on his feet somewhere solid be it at WJOX, working with Rick and Bubba again over at their new station, or even hosting his own radio show (How does "The Neal Vickers Power Hour" on 960 WERC sound?)

http://www.al.com/printer/printer.ss...600.xml&coll=2

Finebaum headed to WJOX
Friday, January 19, 2007
BOB CARLTON
News staff writer

Paul Finebaum is switching sides.

After more than 13 years at WERC-AM, the controversial radio talk-show host told station owner Clear Channel Communications on Thursday night that he plans to join all-sports station WJOX-FM.

Finebaum's decision ends weeks of speculation about what he would do when his three-year, six-figure contract with Clear Channel expired. That agreement ends today, and Fine-baum could go on the air at WJOX as soon as Monday.

"It has been an excruciating decision for a lot of reasons, and for one in particular - the fact that I've been at ERC for 13 years," Finebaum said. "While there are always ups and downs in any situation, it has been, for the most part, a great run."

Finebaum and Citadel Broadcasting, which owns WJOX, have agreed in principle on a three-year contract, he said.

His previous deal with Clear Channel paid him about $350,000 a year, plus bonuses, but he would not say how much more he will make at his new station. He did say "the potential is much higher."

One of the main reasons for joining WJOX, Finebaum said, is the chance to broadcast his show on an all-sports FM station.

"They (FM sports-talk stations) have been successful in big markets and I think it has a tremendous chance of being successful here," Finebaum said.

WJOX, which had been on the air as an AM station since 1992, began broadcasting on the 100.5 FM frequency in November. Its previous AM 690 signal is now home to WSPZ-AM, a second all-sports station that Citadel started less than two weeks ago.

"I think they've done a really good job of branding themselves as the premier sports station," Finebaum said of WJOX. "We may have had what some people consider to be the premier sports show, but we weren't on a premier sports station."

In 2004, Sports Illustrated named Finebaum's afternoon show one of the 12 best sports-talk shows in the country. Except for his show, though, WERC is primarily a news-oriented station.

In an effort to keep Finebaum, Clear Channel offered him the option of also airing his show on FM rock station 105.5 The Vulcan (WENN).

As late as Thursday evening, Clear Channel increased its financial offer to try to get Finebaum to stay at WERC, but he said at that point he already had made up his mind to leave.

"We made a great effort at him," Doug Hamand, Clear Channel's regional vice president of programming, said Thursday night. "He is not only a co-worker of mine but he is one of my personal friends.

"Is my heart broken tonight? Yeah. It's a big loss for us at Clear Channel. Paul is a great guy and we are going to miss him immensely."

Efforts to reach Dale Daniels, general manager of Citadel's Birmingham stations, were unsuccessful Thursday.

Many changes at WJOX:

Finebaum's hiring is the latest in a flurry of changes at WJOX.

After nearly 15 years as an AM-only station, WJOX began simulcasting on the 100.5 FM frequency in late November.

Less than a month later, longtime WJOX personality Herb Winches, who had been with the station since its inception, left because he said he did not want to get demoted to what he called the "B" team on the AM side while Citadel negotiated with Finebaum to take Winches' place on the FM dial.

Then, earlier this month, Citadel launched WSPZ on the AM-690 frequency to pair with WJOX on the FM-100.5 signal.

In doing so, Citadel also made several lineup changes, including reuniting the former morning team of Scott Griffin and Matt Coulter on the AM station.

At WJOX, Finebaum's show will continue to air weekday afternoons, likely from 2 to 6 p.m. The "Dunaway and Brown" show, hosted by Jim Dunaway and Ryan Brown, currently airs in that time slot and will have to move to a different time or to the AM station.

Finebaum, who has taken verbal shots at WJOX and some of its personalities over the years, said he looks forward to the new partnership. He realizes some WJOX listeners won't be thrilled that he's on board.

"I understand the loyalty that people had to Herb," Finebaum said. "Herb is a legend in sports broadcasting, and I can easily understand people being concerned and bothered by first, him leaving and by second, of all people, me taking that time slot.

"It doesn't appear that strange today," he added. "It may the first day on the job, when I mention the name of the call letters."

Finebaum has built a reputation as the talk-show host listeners love to hate but listen to anyway. His show has billed itself as the place "where legends are made and most football coaches fired."

In 1998, WJOX's Coulter filed a defamation lawsuit over a remark Finebaum made about Coulter on the air. The Alabama Supreme Court later ruled in Finebaum's favor.

Two years ago, a lawyer for HealthSouth founder Richard Scrushy claimed Finebaum had "taken to blasting Scrushy over the radio airwaves," and asked a Jefferson County Circuit Court judge to force Finebaum to turn over two years of tapes of his syndicated show. A judge dismissed the request.

This past fall, Finebaum and his callers were urging the firing of Alabama football coach Mike Shula.

Under the banner of the Paul Finebaum Radio Network, his show is carried on about 20 other stations, most of those in Alabama. Those affiliates likely will stay with him, Finebaum said.

"There may be a change here or a change there, but I think we've developed a strong enough following that those affiliates will continue to be affiliates," Finebaum said.

Pat Smith, the producer of the Paul Finebaum Radio Network, also will go to WJOX, Finebaum said. It is uncertain if Neal Vickers, who also appears on the show, will join them, Finebaum added.

E-mail: bcarlton@bhamnews.com

© 2007 The Birmingham News
© 2007 al.com All Rights Reserved.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 10:17 PM
Witty comment fail

he got his nose out of Saban's butt long enough to sign a new contract?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio View Post
he got his nose out of Saban's butt long enough to sign a new contract?
The Finebaum to JOX rumor has been making the rounds since mid-December(when Herb Winches made the smart move and left JOX). I told everyone on here that Finebaum was gonna leave and turns out I was right. Paul's gonna do well on AM and I really really hope that Citidel(sic) will bring Vickers on board too. He's a devil's advocate but the man brings counterpoint to the show. Just sounds like all in all Paul made the move in a very classy manner.

Almost the anti-Saban job change approach.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 2:08 AM

Looks like the Montelena project is being scrapped...

Quote:
Developer puts Montelena condo project on hold
A developer says it has frozen plans for the $50 million Montelena condominum project off U.S. 280 between Mountain Brook and Homewood.

Signs have been removed from the site for the planned seven-story building, and the sales office has been relocated. Construction was supposed to have started in October.

"Montelena, as it existed as just a luxury condominum offering 57 units, is on hold right now," said David Fowler, a partner with Inkana Development. "The sales were not as successful as we had hoped and needed."

Fowler said sales contracts for the project's condos have been canceled.

He said the area's condo market has slowed and "we didn't see the market getting any better soon." The landowners, he said, want to research other options for the site that would generate income.

Inkana had been working with the property's owners, the Mazer family, to develop the 120,000-square-foot project where the former PT's Sports Grill, Mexico Lindo and Coffee Shoppe restaurants stood. Developers planned to use 7,000 square feet of space on the ground floor for boutique retailers.

Charles R. McCauley

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 2:11 AM
Trendy.

Oh, that sucks.

I really liked the design.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 3:33 AM

Edit

Last edited by DruidCity; Jan 20, 2007 at 4:50 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast