HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 1:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton International Airport

Lately a lot of actively has been happening at the Airport so I figured it's time to create a separate thread for Hamilton Airport. Many believe Hamilton Airport is on the verge of becoming a successful airport.

So here's a thread to anything related to Hamilton International Airport! Pictures, news articles, aeropolis, rumours, questions, or debates post em here.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 1:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

Airport flies higher
John Rennison, the Hamilton Spectator

By Lisa Grace Marr
The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 5, 2007)

John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is growing up.

Compass Group Canada, a national food services company, has opened two Tim Hortons stores (one inside security, one in the lobby), an On the Fly store that offers everything from chewing gum to magazines and The Escarpment Lounge in the departure area.

Compass also has plans to renovate The Corner Cafe it already operates at the airport, transforming it into one of its Coyote Jack's Bar & Grill eateries.

The airport is also investing about $2 million in a number of other upgrades: A duty-free store it hopes will open in April, a renovated security screening area, a new kids play zone and a doubling of the international arrivals area.

It is scheduled to open May 1, the same day U.K. airline flyglobespan starts flights out of Hamilton.

Richard Koroscil, president of TradePort International which operates the airport, said its commercial development and expansion is part of an overall growth strategy and only partly due to flyglobespan's arrival.

Eric Cameron, regional director (Chartwells) Compass Group Canada, said the company responded to a request for a proposal before flyglobespan's announcement that it was coming to Hamilton. However, Cameron added it is evidence of the airport's potential.

"We're confident that flyglobespan will provide significant lift and we're pleased to be part of the airport's growth."

Compass, which has about 30 staff working at the airport, is a multinational, billion-dollar business and holds the highest number of Tim Hortons franchises in Canada.

It runs the on-board food service at WestJet and at several Hamilton locations, including Mohawk College and St. Joseph's Hospital.

Koroscil said the expansion is part of a strategy to expand services and flights slowly, keeping costs down for airlines and the airport.

"We take a different approach from many other airports. They spend billions and billions, we go slow. This is the first time we've had two main national carriers at the airport (Air Canada and WestJet) and we're now offering more destinations than at any other time in our history."

However, he acknowledged that flyglobespan's choice of Hamilton is big news.

With flyglobespan, Hamilton will offer more U.K. destinations than any other airport in Canada and will bring an estimated 600 extra passengers into the airport each day.

"There will be a 20 to 30 per cent lift in passenger traffic in '07 over '06," he said.

"Last year, we saw growth of over 20 per cent. Hamilton will directly benefit from this investment."

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 3:48 PM

Hamilton Airport's recent addition of flyglobespan is great for SW Ontario passangers who want to travel to the UK, but don't want to go to Pearson. I do travel to the UK and would definately consider Hamilton for two reasons: 1) convenience - I live in London and it is much easier to drive to Hamilton 2) price - Toronto's airport fees are crazy.

London, England has about 4 or 5 airports that serve the city, so why can't Hamilton Airport serve Southern Ontario? There's no reason why Hamilton shouldn't see significant growth.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 3:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

To make it even sweeter and convenient for SW Ontario Robert Q Airbus will offer daily scheduled airbus service between Hamilton International and London

ROBERT Q AIRBUS BEGINS DAILY SERVICE

Richard Koroscil, President and C.E.O. of the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport (hi) is pleased to announce that, beginning May 1, 2007, Robert Q Airbus will offer daily scheduled airbus service between Hamilton International and London, Ontario until October 31, 2007.

The daily service will also provide connectors to and from Windsor, Ontario (and points west) as well as to Strathroy and Sarnia.

“As we continue to grow our services, providing our customers with ease of access to and from Hamilton International is of paramount importance,” said Richard Koroscil, President and C.E.O. “Robert Q Airbus complements the ground transportation options to travellers throughout our catchment area and helps us fulfill the needs of our clientele.”

Robert Q. Airbus has been providing customers with reliable ground transportation in Southern Ontario for 30 years. They offer courteous, well-trained professional drivers and a fleet of vehicles that can accommodate up to 17 passengers in a safe, comfortable environment.

“We are a ground transportation leader in Ontario and Robert Q Airbus is thrilled to provide area travellers with convenient seasonal connections to the expanding international air travel from Hamilton International Airport,” said Dianne Adams, Sales & Marketing, Robert Q. Airbus. “We are confident that whether customers are flying for business or for that “once in a lifetime” vacation, they will enjoy our Airbus experience to and from hi.”

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 12:11 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

Lately a lot of actively has been happening at the Airport so I figured it's time to create a separate thread for Hamilton Airport. Many believe Hamilton Airport is on the verge of becoming a successful airport.

So here's a thread to anything related to Hamilton International Airport! Pictures, news articles, aeropolis, rumours, questions, or debates post em here.
This is great except its already faily successful in my popinion but I guess it depends on what you think is sucessful.

Anyway good thread

I actually just wanted to Put up the airports website as well to allow people to have a better look. Its www.flyhi.ca

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:52 AM

"Coyote Jack’s Road House" at Hamilton International is now under construction (started Monday) and will open Thursday or Friday of this week. A quick reno job working around the clock. I will post more on Wednesday or Thursday.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 10:01 AM
Let's go Red Wings!

I would be very suprised to see any DC-10's landing at CYHM, but I agree there is alot of activity going on there... They could make alot more money if the could retrofit the airport to take more cargo charters

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 6:11 PM

Council aims for runway solution
Kevin Werner, Special to the Review
Published on Mar 09, 2007
International Airport President and Chief Executive Officer Richard Koroscil hopes a compromise solution can be worked out with councillors over extending the airport's runway.
"We will try to move forward," said Koroscil. "(Council's decision) did not send a positive message to the airport. There are lots of things happening (at the airport). We want to keep that momentum."
After nearly two hours behind closed doors last week, councillors narrowly voted to reject an offer by two developers to sell vital land needed to extend the airport's runway.
"What signal did that decision send to the business community?" said Stoney Creek councillor Dave Mitchell, who voted to purchase the land. "This is embarrassing for the city. It's a shame. How can Hamilton go forward if these types of decisions take place?"
Proponents of the land purchase lament that if the city doesn't purchase the land, the property is only expected to increase in value, making it even more expensive for the city to buy the land in the future. But Hamilton councillor Chad Collins, who voted against the deal, said the estimated cost of about $4.7 million for the land was "prohibitive" for an already cash-strapped municipality.
"We would pay a higher amount (for the land) than what it is appraised," he said. "I'm all for the runway expansion. But not in an 'all or nothing' scenario."
City staff have been working on this land deal for the past six months. It involves developers Anthony De Santis Jr. and Vince Molinaro, who bought the 31-hectare plot on Airport Road in 2002 for over $600,000.
City officials and some councillors were stunned at the vote on Feb. 28. But the land deal, say city officials, remains on the table until the end of the month for the city to consider.
City staff and Koroscil are planning to meet with politicians before they hold their March 28 council meeting. Koroscil says there are some councillors who oppose the land deal because of a lack of information on what the airport needs for its future growth.
"It's about not understanding and the constraints we are in today," he said. "It's about what the overall commercial and operating needs are."
Over the last few years, councillors have become uneasy over the 40-year lease arrangement with Tradeport signed in 1996. Under the contract, the city is obligated to purchase land and help to develop the airport's runways. By 2036, the property, including the buildings, will be turned over to the municipality.
Koroscil has advocated that, for Hamilton International Airport to financially survive, it needs to grow. The idea is to purchase an undetermined amount of property over the next few years at a cost of almost $15 million. The land would be used to extend the south runway, expand the taxi area and construct new hangers.
The city had budgeted about $2.5 million to purchase land to extend the runway. The runway project wouldn't begin until 2011, after an environmental assessment takes place.
Collins, a critic of the lease agreement, doesn't believe Hamilton is getting value for the money it is investing. He says Hamilton is only receiving about $50,000 in revenues from Tradeport under the lease arrangement. For instance, part of the land acquisition would be used to expand the airport's parking area, which according to airport officials, the city is obligated to do because it is part of airport operations.
Yet, says Collins, the city would receive only a portion of the parking revenue. Parking, said Collins, shouldn't be associated with airport operations.
"It doesn't make sense," he said. Koroscil responds that you can't operate an airport without a parking area.
The land purchase would also allow the airport to expand its fuel depot area, which contains only a half-day of fuel for planes. The depot, he said, would be relocated so a hanger can be expanded, said Koroscil. The (fuel depot) is not in a good location, he said. "It's next to an existing hanger."
The airport, said Koroscil, has grown into a economic juggernaut, providing up to 600 good-paying jobs compared to about 200 jobs a few years ago.
Tradeport, which manages the airport for the city, has also injected about $150 million to improve the facility, he said. "This is a great opportunity," Koroscil said. "The city is our partner in this deal."

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 10:43 PM
On Guard For Thee

y2k pony--I wouldn't expect to see DC-10s landing anywhere--almost all the passenger versions are beer cans by now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 10:50 PM
On Guard For Thee

Sorry, another quick question for y'all. I've been trying to follow this land acquisition story from afar--this purchase and proposed runway extension, I'm assuming this is for 06/24? If so, is the plan to go to 10,000 also? There is also the mention of flight kitchens, a fuel farm and new hangars--assuming this part of the plan to demolish the existing hangars west of the terminal to facilitate the terminal expansion plan?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Sorry, another quick question for y'all. I've been trying to follow this land acquisition story from afar--this purchase and proposed runway extension, I'm assuming this is for 06/24? If so, is the plan to go to 10,000 also? There is also the mention of flight kitchens, a fuel farm and new hangars--assuming this part of the plan to demolish the existing hangars west of the terminal to facilitate the terminal expansion plan?
Yes it is for 06/24 as it is only a 6000 ft runway.

They need a new proper tank farm as the one that there was designed for a private plane airport and is most likely not very environmentally friendly.

This is the second time a flight kitchen has been proposed for the airport. The first time was 15 years ago when Nationair flew out of Hamilton. It was to be built where the present outer part of the parking lot is. There is no proper facility near by to service aircraft. I suspect that Flyglobespan will belly their meals. That is to say that they will be prepared in the UK and placed in the belly. In Hamilton they will bring up the meals from the belly, heat and serve. The empty trays and carts from the flight over will be place in the belly for the return trip. It is not very cost effective as it takes up space and fuel that could be used to carry revenue generating cargo. I suspect if they are looking to invest in a flight kitchen that they are expecting Flyglobespan to stay and they are get other airlines that need a flight kitchen.

Rumor is that Ontario Flightcraft wants to expand their hanger and there are other companies looking for space. The Glanford hanger to the west of the terminal is not being used for anything large as the last expansion of the terminal, out to the west for the new baggage security checking area, has blocked most of the access to the hanger. They is not much land close to services left on that side of the airport. The north side lands are not serviced. In the original pre WestJet cut back terminal expansion, the Glanford hanger was to be torn done to allow expansion to the west.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 6:33 AM

I was at the Hamilton International Airport and boy was I surprised. I took some picture.

The International Arrivals expansion. There are new windows going in this side of the building.

The new "Tim Horton's” and "On The Fly”.
On the Fly sell magazines, drinks, pre made sandwiches, salads, candies, souvenirs etc. Both of these are just before security and available to everyone. The Tim Horton’s after security is also now open. This is where the old security entrance was. They opened on Wednesday February 28th in time for the Tim Horton’s Brier.

This is looking in from the terminal to the security area. It is a large sitting area with tables and food service similar to the ”On The Fly”. This is the area where the second Tim Horton’s is. Right behind the other Tim Horton’s. This is the escarpment lounge. There is more to come when they get their liquor license. The notice is up for the required 45 days for people to object. It ends March 31st and then they can have their license if no one objects. At first it will only be beer, wine and coolers. They have not started on the Duty Free Shop yet. Dopy me. I was able to get into the secure area with my camera in my pocket. I was so busy asking questions I forgot to take it out and take some picture. Maybe next time.

These are 2 of the “Hi Ambassadors” at Hamilton Airport . They wear orange shirts and have a gold name tags with their name on it. Right now there are close to two dozen of them and they are there for the noon flights and the late afternoon flights everyday. In May they will be there starting earlier and stating later for the summer schedule.

The new security area. Has a lot more room.

The Tourism Hamilton Information and Ground Transportation booth.

One of the baggage claim areas with people waiting from a WestJet flight.

Work will start soon in the check in area. Counters will be moved out from the back so there will be a flow through by each check in deck. People will carry their own bags to the back and place them onto the belt. They will also be adding monitors over each desk so they can show what airline is using them and adjust the number of desk assigned to them with a push of the button. The curved wall to the east of the check in area is being removed along with the offices behind it to expand the area.

The International Arrivals area expansion is on schedule.

Coyote Jack’s Road House opened on Friday March 9th. Here are some pictures I took this morning (Sat)

Last edited by LikeHamilton; Mar 10, 2007 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 4:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Good job! They've really made the new security area bigger. The old one was TINY lol. Looks like the check in area is getting more cramped, might need to expand that area in the future if more airlines come.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 5:00 PM
On Guard For Thee

I'm SO impressed with those photos of the airport. I barely recognize anything aside from the Tourism Hamilton area and the current check in desks. The screening area is excellent--looks like something worthy of a major airport finally.

Love the Ambassador program--makes me wish I still lived there so I could be a part of it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 5:40 PM
I am a typical

Wow... I am underwhelmed. :/

Is that what the terminal looks like?

Ours ^ Not exactly award winning but it also has a funny little park, you can watch planes take off from the third floor and it's shaped like a wing. You guys really have no excuse.

How many passengers do you get a year?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Wow... I am underwhelmed. :/

Is that what the terminal looks like?

Sorry!!!! But we are in the shadow of Hog Town (Toronto) and we have to get around the fact that the world revolves around them and they would like to control everything.

How many passengers do you get a year?

Expecting 750,000 to 800,000 in 2007

And you’re from Lakehead? I take it that’s Thunder Bay? I've been there. You shouldn't throw stones.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 7:55 PM
I am a typical

Being near Toronto isn't an excuse for an ugly terminal.

"You shouldn't throw stones."

Why? People throw them at me all the time, I have to disperse the collection somehow.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 8:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton Airport was built as a regional airport, hence the smallness of the airport. It wasn't until I think 1998 when WestJet made Hamilton Airport it's hub that Hamilton Airport actually started to become a big passenger airport. It was mostly cargo.

Then in I think 2001 Hamilton Airport came out with a plan to expand the Airport, think it was $150 million, not sure. But WestJet moved it's hub to Toronto. So since then Hamilton Airport has been waiting for another airline to kick start the passengers number up again so that the airport can go ahead with its expansion plans. We are starting to see expansion. I remember someone mentioning at the end of the year we might hear some news of a major airport expansion if flyglobespan becomes a success.

I think LikeHamilton has a copy of the old expansion plan. You should send a copy here or copy and paste the plan here so we can get a better idea of what Hamilton Airport could look like in the future.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 8:07 PM
Closed account

don't be hatin'. it's all about baby steps where "hi" is concerned. it's hard growing this airport with pearson and buffalo so close by. if i'm not mistaken your terminal was built with government money. no such luck here. it's all private dollars. passenger numbers are probably very similar though i'm guessing a lot of your passengers are simply transferring flights. i might be wrong about that. anyway, i know the isolation of living in thunder bay can cause serious mental health issues so i'll cut you some slack.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 8:10 PM
Forum officer

Siding and drop down ceilings? It really does feel like a world away from Toronto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure