HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 1:13 AM

I'm really pulling for Tim Burke as HC...

hope he can turn things around, at least to the degree he gets a proper go as HC next year.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
The kicker is one of the spare parts we got for Ricky Ray.

Even more awesome is that we have 3 of the best running backs in the CFL, and we never give any of them the ball.

I think the Eskimos strategy to stop the run this year is to acquire all the best running talent in the CFL and then bench them all.

Awesome. At least you guys have a team that can get a W though...it could be worse...you could be the 2012 Bombers...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 6:10 PM
BANNED

What happened to all the football fans in Montreal, worst attendance in the league even for a pretty good football team. 21K average attendance is brutal! Is it no longer chic to attend Alouette games?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 6:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

What seems to have happened in Montreal is that in the early days of the new Alouettes people were really impressed that Montreal could get 20,000 people out for each Alouettes game. This was a tremendous improvement over the previous incarnations of the Alouettes and also the Concordes starting in the 1980s when some games drew less than 5,000 people.

20,000 is four times better than 5,000.

The problem is that things have pretty much stagnated, and aside from the odd big crowd at Olympic Stadium, the Alouettes haven't really "grown" their product attendance-wise. I don't know if it is the club's fault or the market, but they really seem stuck at around 20,000 fans per game.

Montreal also doesn't look so good anymore now that other former attendance basket cases like Vancouver and Hamilton have greatly improved things.

Media-wise this year the Alouettes have been overshadowed by L'Impact, although they also seem to be settling in around 20,000 per game (except for a few huge blips when they played at Olympic Stadium).

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Acajack, I thought there was a huge increase of football in Quebec at the junior level. I do know that college football is really big in Quebec, strange that it doesn't translate into more fans for the Alouettes.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
What happened to all the football fans in Montreal, worst attendance in the league even for a pretty good football team. 21K average attendance is brutal! Is it no longer chic to attend Alouette games?
to be fair rr, don't forget the Als have the highest tickets prices in the league

its sort of like a Jets situation...some of their season tickets cost twice as much as the average ST price strong CFL clubs like those in the prairies pay (including our own Bombers)

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 9:32 PM

Just an idea about single ticket price ranges with clubs this year: (source CFL.ca/LCF.ca)

These are all inclusive prices, so all fees including with ticket price:

BC Lions: $43 - $93 ($133)
Edmonton Eskimos: $22 - $79.75
Calgary Stampeders: $20.50 - $97.50
Saskatchewan Roughriders: $35 - $72
Winnipeg Blue Bombers: $21.75 - $87.80 ($121.25)
Hamilton Tiger Cats: $28.50 - $103.50
Toronto Argonauts: $21.25 - $91.50
Montreal Alouettes: $33.74 - $114.23 ($163.76), ($20 student tix available)

Brackets indicate club seats

A few notes: Although Rider tickets are cheapest, they have more expensive low end seats (like the Lions) and always sell out; Edmonton always averages the highest attendance in the league and can get an extra 4k-10k worth in seat prices; Als pay the highest ticket prices in the greatest proportion; BC really bumped up ticket prices this year coming off a Cup win

CFL gets the most coverage in the prairies, no doubt (Winnipeg, Sask, Calgary and Edmonton are all strong CFL markets) but there is a misnomer about other CFL teams being cheap. Even the Argos have competitive ticket pricing.

Last edited by roccerfeller; Sep 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:21 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Acajack, I thought there was a huge increase of football in Quebec at the junior level. I do know that college football is really big in Quebec, strange that it doesn't translate into more fans for the Alouettes.
Like roccerfeller said, the Als have the most expansive tickets in the CFL.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 1:35 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
This is true. Laval probably averages over 10,000 per game and U de Montréal and U de Sherbrooke are in the 5-6,000 range I'd say.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 9:36 PM

It's so weird actually having a quarterback... Seems almost surreal that the Argos are actually battling for the division!

However the Argos fan from the past few years in me is still expecting shittiness for the next couple matchups..

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 6:39 AM

So glad I decided to stay at home instead of go to the game live...

man, Bombers...there are no words for how poor the offence is, and how poor it makes the team as a whole look...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 1:27 PM

Winnipeg Goldeyes win the American Association Baseball Championship yay! yay!...I know it's not football but we need something to cheer about here in the Peg damnit.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 2:51 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=405252

Crap.. Kackert played phenomenal against Hamilton, and with no Cory Boyd (seriously, what the fuck..), my hopes aren't very high for this game..

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Winnipeg Goldeyes win the American Association Baseball Championship yay! yay!...I know it's not football but we need something to cheer about here in the Peg damnit.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 5:27 PM

Wow the Bombers SUCK! thanks for the easy 2 points guys. On another note, Nik Lewis surpassed 10 000 yards in his career with 700 catches last night.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 4:06 PM

Welp, saw that one coming.. Oh well that last push was good, too bad it came up short.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 2:42 AM

I was at the game in Montreal today. Despite the poor showing, it was still great to see so many of my green brothers and sisters there today. I'm not sure where everyone is coming from (I presume primarily transplanted in Ontario), but its always fun to see so many Sask fans no matter where I go to a game.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 5:36 AM
Go Chiefs!

Absolutely disgusting performance by the Als... good thing we were playing Saskatchewan!

Even the coaches didn't have a great day. Dwight Anderson made a "play of the year" interception in the first half but the ball was ruled down and our coaching staff never threw the challenge flag when the replay CLEARLY showed the interception being good.

The pick was very similar to this one:
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 5:49 AM
Go Chiefs!

Also congrats to Andrew Hawkins for his first NFL TD. He was #5 or #6 on the Alouettes depth chart in 2009, 2010.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Absolutely disgusting performance by the Als... good thing we were playing Saskatchewan!

Even the coaches didn't have a great day. Dwight Anderson made a "play of the year" interception in the first half but the ball was ruled down and our coaching staff never threw the challenge flag when the replay CLEARLY showed the interception being good.
With my green goggles you could see that he trapped the ball.

Another note; Mtl coaching staff said that Bratton and Whitaker had sore knees. Bratton maybe (although that leg whipped in a very weird angle while he was in the air) but Whitaker definitely tore an ACL or MCL. Same thing happened to me playing soccer and its a bitch to recover from.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada