HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:07 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Redevelopment proposal would retain look of Ottawa Power Station (Lansing)

Seeing as how massive a project this is, I'll give it its own post. I'm glad like their newly renovated headquarters, Christman will be shooting for LEED certification.

Video:

- Animated rendering of new Accident Fund building

- Ottawa before: A recent look inside the power station

Redevelopment proposal would retain look of Ottawa Power Station

Jeremy W. Steele • jwsteele@lsj.com • July 2, 2008 • From Lansing State Journal

For years, visions of a bustling Ottawa Power Station existed only in the imaginations of those who could see beyond the barren skeleton of the idled electric plant.

That changes today as two Lansing companies roll out the first public drawings of the riverfront landmark, including a 2 1/2-minute animated video of what the site will look like after a planned $180 million redevelopment.

"When you go into the power plant and take a look at it, you really have to have a creative eye to see its potential," said Elizabeth Haar, chief executive officer of Accident Fund Insurance Co. of America, which in October 2007 announced plans to move its headquarters to the building. "Now, having it come together and to see some pictures and diagrams, it's actually even better than I thought it would be."

Developer Christman Co. would oversee the work and own the building. The vision, which is expected to become a reality by 2011, would turn the 200-foot-tall power plant into a nine-story office building. Except for the addition of a few windows, the exterior of the structure would remain largely intact.

The more dramatic changes occur inside the building, where a new steel floor structure would be built, and immediately to the north of the plant, where a 101,000-square-foot, four-story building sheathed in glass would be built.

The two structures would be connected by a 5,000-square-foot, four-story atrium that would serve as the main entrance to the complex.

The modern addition is designed to contrast with its historic neighbor, said Steven Roznowski, Christman's president and CEO.

"We were looking for an addition that makes a different, but harmonious statement with the power plant," he said.

The design still must be approved by the National Park Service, which signs off on federal historic tax credits for such projects.

The plant, hailed for its architecture, was built in 1940 and idled in 1992. The coloring of the exterior of the building - from its black granite base to red, orange and yellow brickwork - is designed to symbolize coal combustion.

Christman to lease building

Christman, which will lease the building to Accident Fund, is expected to close on its $275,000 purchase of the power plant from the Lansing Board of Water & Light this fall.

The building is expected to eventually house some 1,100 workers, including Accident Fund's current Lansing work force of about 650 and another 500 employees to be added over 10 to 15 years.

Accident Fund, which sells workers compensation insurance, is a for-profit subsidiary of Detroit-based nonprofit health insurer Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.

Construction on the new headquarters is slated to be completed by early 2011.

Christman's Roznowski said initial work should start this fall, with activity picking up in spring 2009.

Among the first tasks will be razing the Grand Building to the north of the power plant, where the glass office building and a 1,000-space parking structure are to be built. The parking structure, initially planned to be built by the city, would be owned by Christman and leased to Accident Fund with the rest of the campus.

Roznowski said architects have worked to make sure the ramp is "cohesive with the architecture of the rest of the buildings."

"It's all integrated into this urban campus setting," he said.

The complex also includes a patio area on the river side of the buildings for Accident Fund workers and an extension of the city's river trail system along the waterfront.

Tax breaks

The project is aided by a host of local, state and federal tax incentives, including a state Renaissance Zone designation that abates most state and local taxes for nearly 15 years.

Planning also is under way to replace the cooling towers atop the Ottawa Power Station's west roof with new equipment on state property at Allegan and Pine streets, said Mark Nixon, spokesman for the Lansing Board of Water & Light.

"They are moving along," he said.

The cooling towers provide cold water to downtown area buildings for air conditioning systems. It's hoped a new chiller plant will be open by fall 2009.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aerial

Ionia Building Addition as seen from Grand Avenue

Atrium between old and new buildings

Ground floor cafeteria off the river

Riverfront Patio

Ionia Building Addition

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 9:04 PM

this is great! It looks amazing!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 10:06 PM
still here

Beautiful beautiful beautiful. The designs are pretty sweet.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 5:55 PM
Registered Ugly

Not that it matters much, but the rendering at top has gross inaccuracies. All in all an interesting and much anticipated project.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 8:53 AM

Not that it matters much to me either, but I noticed that too when I opened the thread. I was thinking hmmm....Lansing looks different here.

Regardless, that atrium looks awesome.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 7:21 PM

Here is more accurate look from about the same angle:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 8:42 PM
Just win, Billikens.

Looks great - I love the view in the last rendering.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 1:02 AM
I am a typical

Good news! It's a fantastic building.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 9:45 AM

Supposedly, from a source of mine, there is already deconstruction work going on at the site and in the building, but it must all be internal. Here are a few pics of buildings to be taken down or renovated:

The Station - Didn't see anything going on, and the construction equipment seems to be for the sewer seperation work that's currently taking place directly behind the station along Grand Avenue.

The North Grand Parking Structure Annex - This will be demolished, but I have no idea exactly when. The garage actually hangs over Grand Avenue making it into a strange tunnel for a block.

The Grand Building - It's apparenly already under demolition, but the only signs of that seem to be that the front of it is all boarded up, which leaves me to assume they must be doing interior demolition, at the moment.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 5:21 AM

It has begun:

Quote:
Work starts on Accident Fund headquarters

Jeremy W. Steele • jwsteele@lsj.com • October 9, 2008 • From LSJ.com

Crews began demolition work today at the site of Accident Fund Insurance Co. of America’s $182 million headquarters.

Officials expect much of the Grand Building immediately north of downtown Lansing’s Ottawa Power Station to be razed by the end of the day.

Accident Fund, part of Detroit-based insurer Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan, plans to use the idled power plant and surrounding 7-acre site along the Grand River, to create a 330,000-square-foot office building and build a 1,000-car parking structure.

That work is expected to take 2-1/2 years.

“Then, we’re going to have one of the greatest national headquarters across the country,” Elizabeth Haar, Accident Fund’s president and chief executive officer, told about 100 workers who gathered at the site this morning to watch demolition begin.

Officials announced the plans nearly a year ago, giving new life to the historic power plant, which was decommissioned in 1992 and has sat largely vacant since.

The building will have space to house about 1,100 workers, about 500 more than Accident Fund currently employs at its downtown headquarters.

Lansing-based Christman Co. is the project’s developer.
Photos by Rod Sanford of the Lansing State Journal: Link to Photo Gallery

Accident Fund employees and guests gather in downtown Lansing Thursday Oct. 9, 2008 for ceremonies and groundbreaking for the Accident Fund's national headquarters, which will be in the former Lansing Board of Water and Light's Ottawa Street power plant at left, behind. The former Grand Building at right, behind, will be torn down.

Accident Fund president and CEO Elizabeth Haar laughs with employees and guests.

Accident Fund employees clap and cheer.

Part of the old Grand Building is demolished during groundbreaking ceremonies in downtown Lansing Thursday Oct. 9, 2008 for the Accident Fund's national headquarters.

Water is sprayed to keep dust down as demolition begins on the old Grand Building.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 9:53 AM

November 29th - They are working very hard on this one. At the moment, I think they are adding an elevator tower inside the structure and building in some of the mid floors.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 5:27 AM

I wonder how the building will look when it's completed. Glad to see projects on the move.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 9:19 AM

Update:

Greg DeRuiter | Lansing State Journal
Construction work continues inside the Ottawa Power Station Tuesday afternoon.

A welder works on one the the huge steel beams inside the Ottawa Power Station in downtown Lansing Tuesday.

The Ottawa Power Station in downtown Lansing is under construction and will become the new headquarters for Accident Fund Insurance Co. of America.

Quote:

Ottawa plant project plays on light

Jeremy W. Steele • jwsteele@lsj.com • March 18, 2009 • From Lansing State Journal

For decades, the riverfront Ottawa Power Station helped light downtown Lansing.

But it's the light inside the idled power plant - natural sunlight - that's one of the historic features construction workers are trying to preserve.

The 10-story building will be the centerpiece of a $182 million, 7-acre headquarters for Accident Fund Insurance Co. of America. Workers began demolition inside the building in October and plan to have it and a 106,000-square-foot addition finished by early 2011.

Once finished, the building will span 333,000 square feet.

Key to the power plant's transformation into a modern office building, though, is preservation of its historic elements. The building recently was placed on the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places.

The designation allows the project to qualify for state and federal historic tax credits.

It also adds requirements to protect the plant's historical features.

"Everybody involved really wants to see this project happen and knows turning an architecturally significant power plant into a headquarters building is tough enough," said Steven Roznowski, president and chief executive officer of Lansing-based Christman Co., the project's developer. "To do it with proper historical sensitivity is more challenging."

On the inside of the building, for instance, architects tried to design an office space that respects the original feel of the plant.

The power plant, dedicated in 1940, essentially is a 10-story building without many actual floors. Its giant windows flood the vast interior space with light.

Steelworkers now are preparing to put new floors into the building. Architects designed those floors so they would stop about 8 feet from exterior walls, creating large shafts for natural light.

"The main focus is to preserve the feeling of openness and light," said John Holmstrom, senior vice president of Christman, on a tour of the project Tuesday.

Crews also are salvaging brick and tile from throughout the building to reuse.

On the exterior, masons are painstakingly repairing brickwork - one of the structure's most significant features. Its black granite base dissolves upward into brick in reds that lighten to orange and yellow, symbolizing coal combustion.
Advertisement

Even the new building addition was designed with the old building in mind. But the idea wasn't for it to match.

"You'd think (historic preservationists) would want you to make the addition look compatible," Roznowski said.

"But they want people to be able to read the story of the building when you look at it. Anything you do to add onto it, they want people to easily see that it is an addition."

The new building will have its modern aspects, with large expanses of glass. Crews are scheduled to start work on the addition's foundation later this month.

Accident Fund officials believe the building and riverfront site will help it recruit and retain employees.

The workers' compensation insurer, a subsidiary of Detroit-based Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, has about 650 employees.

The old power plant stood out among the options officials looked at, including staying at its current downtown building or moving elsewhere, said Steven Reynolds, Accident Fund's vice president for strategic planning and corporate secretary.

"When you get inside the building, the natural light and the views - where else could you get something like that?" he said.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 4:23 PM

Great news!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 5:13 AM

Glad you found it. Work has been ongoing on the station for many months, now.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 6:30 AM

There is construction everywhere around this site. The still is rising for the annex:

The new Lansing City Market construction is slightly out-of-shot to the left. You can also see the reconstruction of the boardwalk/rivertrail along the river. Just a few blocks down the river, site prep is going up for a 12-story condo tower so a great deal of the riverfront is blocked off or detoured. It's crazy.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:11 PM
Registered Ugly

I'm very happy to see all the activity, despite the minor inconveniences of driving downtown. I think the sewer separation at Allegan is the biggest wrench in the spoke, though. BTW, have you seen the new businesses going in on that block? One of the places looks to be a gut-rehab and it will be/is a nice looking hot dog place. Something else looked to be going on across the street as well, but I'm uncertain what it was.

It continues to amaze me when I read comments by readers on LSJ.com regarding how wasteful the downtown revitalization is and apparently for naught. So many suburbanites still believe that downtown is a ghost town and that there's nothing to do. To compare downtown to merely 10 years ago (and if we include Old Town) is nothing short of astonishing. The other day someone was actually arguing for keeping the City Club building simply because the tower isn't viable and no one wants to live downtown. Well, I say you can keep your home crappy Okemos...you don't even pay taxes here anyway. I vote for downtown!

Any time line on Ballpark North?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
It continues to amaze me when I read comments by readers on LSJ.com regarding how wasteful the downtown revitalization is and apparently for naught. So many suburbanites still believe that downtown is a ghost town and that there's nothing to do. To compare downtown to merely 10 years ago (and if we include Old Town) is nothing short of astonishing. The other day someone was actually arguing for keeping the City Club building simply because the tower isn't viable and no one wants to live downtown. Well, I say you can keep your home crappy Okemos...you don't even pay taxes here anyway. I vote for downtown!

The exact same thing happens on mlive.com regarding any developments in downtown Flint.

I really need to get over to Lansing and just walk around downtown, because I have no real point of reference for these projects. I think I've been in downtown Lansing five times in my life, and only 3 times in the last 12 years.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I'm very happy to see all the activity, despite the minor inconveniences of driving downtown. I think the sewer separation at Allegan is the biggest wrench in the spoke, though. BTW, have you seen the new businesses going in on that block? One of the places looks to be a gut-rehab and it will be/is a nice looking hot dog place. Something else looked to be going on across the street as well, but I'm uncertain what it was.

Any time line on Ballpark North?
The hotdog place has been opened for a few months, now, I believe. There was an article in the paper a few weeks back discussing downtown revitalization during the recession and they interviewed the owner. I think it was really silly of her to open it as reconstruction started on the street. It's almost as if she is planning for the business to fail. Just terrible timing.

Nothing of Ballpark North is planned to rise at least for another year or two due to the economy. Gillespie said this in an interview a few months back. And, Market Place can't even start until they tear down the City Market. To be honest, I don't expect to see any kind of construction until at least 2011. By then, the New City Market will have been well established and the Accident Fund project winding up.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 2:59 PM
Just win, Billikens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk1982 View Post
The exact same thing happens on mlive.com regarding any developments in downtown Flint.
The exact same thing happens on stltoday.com regarding any developments in downtown St. Louis. The people who either haven't been downtown in years or who work downtown, but never leave their cubicles at lunch come out to bitch about everything. It's frustrating.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest