HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 6:41 PM

Art Themed Park Downtown

Awesome little park proposed on Liberty between 7th and 6th. The design was done by STITCH, same architects as Bailey Park. Really talented group of young architects.

Here is an article on it in the Winston Salem Times:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local...1e4SQ.facebook

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 5:28 AM
Fourth and Main

This is a massive update, with many new projects for us to follow on this thread!

Projects & Construction:

Election Results:
Since you "High Fived the Bonds" on election night, we can now move forward with several new & exciting projects. Included on that list of projects is Civic Plaza (Merschel Plaza), which is a proposed park with amphitheatre that also has underground parking for future high-rise residential and office developments on surrounding sites. Don't forget the new park in the Flat Rock Neighborhood, which is expected to become a regional tourist attraction. City Council wants to move forward with these projects in the next 12 months!

Thank you to every Democrat who voted! Ted Kaplan, who said he wanted a light rail line (LRT) connecting downtown to the airport, won! This appears to be a very liberal county commission! I'm very excited. It's good to see several rail transit supporters in city/county government.

The Village Lofts:
I found a photograph of the bridge I spoke of earlier. You can also see the alley between the buildings.

Credit: The Village Lofts

Kimpton Hotel:
The first rendering, showing the lobby on the Fourth Street side. It appears to be a bar?

ARTivity on the Green: New to This Thread!
Downtown Winston-Salem's newest park is ARTivity on the Green. An art park, located at the corner of Seventh and Liberty streets. AFAS will build and maintain the park. An executive at a Canadian resources company donated the money to build it. Ground breaking is scheduled for December 1, and construction will be completed in May. It appears as if Wells Fargo is also involved in the park? Red lines in the sidewalks will lead visitors into the park. The red lines will meander to create raised setting elements and raised entry portals for art displays. These lines will converge and rise to 50 feet (15.25 meters) in the center of the park and create 13 structures that will emit illuminated (color changing lights) fog formations every 15 minutes, using 450 nozzles. Yes, red is the color of brick used on the old industrial buildings and the tall towers are designed to look similar to Winston-Salem's tall brick smokestacks, which are a visual nod to the city’s industrial past. Other features include an “artist performance shelter,” sculpted from steel bands, to continue the industrial look of the park (anyone can use this performance space for free at any time!), and a concrete mural wall designed to serve as a constantly evolving canvas for local artists. The mural wall will have cascading lighting to be attractive at night and anyone can paint on the wall.

Water feature emits fog, with color changing lights:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=960
Credit: JournalNow - STITCH Design Shop

The factory smokestack themed water feature has to be the most interesting water feature I've ever seen in a park. I love it! It's an industrial themed park. Keep Winston-Salem Weird and Nerdy!

You can see the art display areas, near the arches:
Credit: JournalNow - STITCH Design Shop

B/E Aerospace Engineering Development Lab:

Credit: West & Stem Architects

Forsyth County Public Safety Center:
County Commissioners are hiring an architect to complete the adaptive reuse of the Phillips Building. The project will add probation, parole, and judicial offices, along with a crime lab and an emergency operations center to the building.

Convention Center:
TVS Design was selected as the architect for the convention renovation.

414 Northwest:

Semans Arts Library:
It's not completed at this time, but will be soon.

Credit: Lindsay Bierman

Ritz Theatre Restoration: New to This Thread!
Winston-Salem Playwright Lizz Goins-Turner is buying the old 500 seat Ritz Theatre and plans to restore it into a working theater again. Goins-Turner's company, Diamondique Productions, is looking for a permanent space for her shows. The theatre closed in 1975 and has sat abandoned since 1990. She has already started a $100,000 renovation on the 65 year old building and hopes to reopen the theatre in January. She said a number of playwrights have already contacted her about producing a show in Winston-Salem. She plans to preserve as many of the theatre's original features as possible, including the concession stand and the projection room. Goins-Turner said “I just want a lot to remain the same because I know a lot of people that used to go there as a kid and I’ve been contacted by so many people that are ready for the grand opening because they haven’t set foot in there in years.” The theatre will host live shows in addition to film screenings.

It does appear as if the industrial North Patterson Neighborhood is revitalizing! You may remember the post on the Streamline Art Moderne "1800 N. Patterson Building," on October 14. This theatre is within walking distance of that building! This theatre is also near Hot Dog City, one of the best hot dog restaurants in the city!

June 2014:

Credit: GSV

March 1968:

Credit: Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Library

It appears to be fully intact:

Credit: Trulia

Did You Know: Since this was a neighborhood theatre, it was designed without parking. Customers would walk or take transit there.

Credit: Trulia

Bailey Park @ East End:

Credit: Dominic Gray

1775 T. Bagge Merchant Building Renovation

Credit: ndaholt

Credit: Wilson-Covington Construction

Lillybee Building:
Thank you to WSTB for answering the question of who is renovating 705 North Main. It's a women's shoe company called Lillybee. Their clothing is sold nationwide through high-end boutiques.

Reynolda House Indoor Pool:
We haven't seen an update on this project in long time!

Credit: Trish@Reynolda

Nash Building Renovation: Built!
Be sure to visit Design Archives on West Fourth Street, in the former Nash Automobile showroom. They are now open! I would like to buy a "North Carolina is Home" t-shirt on a future visit!

These displays in the store are made from a barn built in 1860!

Credit: Design Archives

Credit: Emily Poe-Crawford

Credit: Dana LeBlanc Designs

This is an example of the Nash cars once sold in this beautiful building:

Credit: Nash Nut

This was actually a very innovative car company, with many firsts in the industry.

Placemaking & Fun:

Reynolda Village:
Have you visited Winston-Salem's 100 year old lifestyle center? Reynolda Village was built between 1912-1917.

Credit: Emily Miner

Winter Weather:
If you're moving to this city, you should know it does snow here. Having four seasons is a major attraction to moving here. How much snow the city has varies from year-to-year. Over the weekend, new city employees practiced with the snow removal equipment. Winston-Salem is among the few cities in this region with all of the equipment and the right people to clear the streets. Winston-Salem has two shifts that plow until the streets are cleared. So what is the most difficult part of snow removal? According to the city workers, it is turning the trucks with the snowplow. The plow also makes the truck longer and you have to keep that in mind when driving a snowplow.

Downtown Photograph of the Week:

Credit: Andrew Dye

Fabians Restaurant:
I found this awesome Streamline Art Moderne building photograph while searching for photographs of another construction project.

Credit: CE Mc

Bug Art:
The bug art is new. I don't remember seeing them before. This one of several around downtown.

Credit: Piedmont Craftsmen

Winston-Salem Getaway:
WRAL-TV 5 in the Triangle is giving away a free 3-day holiday weekend trip to Winston-Salem for a family of four. If you live in the eastern part of the state and want to visit Winston-Salem, be sure to enter. It appears to include everything from wineries to art museums to Old Salem to restaurants to the city's award winning light display, which is ranked as a Top 100 Event in North America.

Pop-up Art in the IQ District:
More pop-up art around the city. This one appears to have a contest of some type connected to it?

Credit WFIQ

Most Beautiful Colleges in the Fall:
Wake Forest University was ranked #1 as the most beautiful college campus in the fall. Best College Values made the list. They said Wake Forest University's campus has an "array of colors" and a "picturesque setting." The site also said the nearby Sauratown Mountains impacted their decision.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 6:10 AM
Fourth and Main

Did I forget something...

Pepper Building:
Now we can celebrate work starting on the Pepper Building! Mike Coe and U.S. Development are finally starting interior demolition on the Pepper Building! Actual construction work on the 53 apartments, Brazilian Steakhouse, basement Speakeasy, and restoration will start in the Spring. The project will include a two-storey underground parking deck, which will be covered by a park to match the park the city is building at Civic Plaza. The Brazilian steakhouse is an out-of-state restaurant opening their first North Carolina location, if I'm not mistaken? The speakeasy will be owned and operated by a woman who moved to Winston-Salem from Amsterdam. This is proposed as an accurate restoration to the original 1928 appearance, using old photographs, surviving details, and original blueprints.

In January 1928, the Gilmer Company announced a new upscale department store in downtown Winston-Salem with 8 floors of merchandise. At that time, Winston-Salem was North Carolina's largest and richest city. The store would be known as The Davis-McCollum Company. Davis-McCollum was an ultra-modern, high-class department store, designed by Northrup and O’Brien. The interior was designed by Grand Rapids Store Equipment Corporation. The General Contractor was Walter Kidde & Co. Inc., of New York. With its lion’s head spouts, it would become one of the first Art Deco buildings in North Carolina. The restoration architect, David Gall said "When it was built it was the tallest art deco building in the state." When it opened, more than three thousand people crowded the streets to see it. Nearly everyone in the state had heard about it. The top six floors were very high end upscale merchandise. The lower two floors became the store's Bargain Basement. In 1929, the store changed owners and became Van Dyke's Department Store. At that time the store was recognized by designers and suppliers as the finest department store in North Carolina. In 1932 Thomas Pepper became the owner of the building. By 1939, the department store was replaced by a furniture store called "Huntley Hill Stockton." The furniture store occupied the lower four floors of the building and the remaining floors became office space. In 1953, the furniture store moved to another building and the Pepper Building was completely renovated for office space, with ground floor retail and a basement restaurant. This building is a survivor! In the late 1970s, a bank's new headquarters proposal would've replaced the Pepper Building with a new office building, but preservationists fought the demolition and won! However, the building was vacated for demolition and the upper floors remained vacant. The retail space was occupied until 2000. After being fully vacated, it would see several failed proposals to convert it to condos and survive another proposal to demolish it in 2006. Finally, Mike Coe and U.S. Development stepped-up to save the building! The building is very intact, with the original plaster ceiling, the original light fixtures, the original 1920s Zenitherm walls, the beautiful terrazzo floor, the cast iron stair with marble treads, and the original cast iron radiators. All of the original globes for the light fixtures are in storage.

An interesting fact: This building was used as the city's transportation center for many years, until the current transportation center opened in 1997.

Original 1928 Appearance: (The lion heads held the metal awnings over the two entrances)

1939 Furniture Store: (Sadly, no interior photographs of it as an upscale department store)

I would love to have a house full of Art Deco furniture (above)!

1939 Furniture Store:

Credit: CE Mc

You can tell this was an upscale department store:

Credit: WSTB

Original 1928 Otis Manual Elevator:

Credit: Urban Mez

The walls (below) are covered with a material called Zenitherm, which was used in some of the finest buildings and homes of the 1920s and 1930s. The Zenitherm was painted over, but can be easily restored to the original marble appearance. This marble material is also on the columns, like the one see in the fifth photograph, above.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...28e5.image.jpg
Credit: JournalNow

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...2ff2.image.jpg

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...e3ab.image.jpg

Look at how big these windows are! This is the developer who will convert the building to apartments:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...508c.image.jpg

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...3101.image.jpg

Urban Mez is my favorite Winston-Salem photographer! He has several more Pepper Building photographs in his albums, with old furniture, office equipment, and papers everywhere.

Elevator Motors in Mechanical Penthouse:

Sir Winston Restaurant Kitchen (closed in 1989?):

Credit: WFDD

Those are the before photographs. Now we are ready to see the restoration and the after photographs! Restoration will be completed in Summer or Fall of 2016.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 6:42 AM
Chairman

Wow look at that asbestos floor tiles. If the VCT floor tiles are 9 x 9, it is most likely contains asbestos. Even within the other photos there are those 9 x 9 tiles.

This should be a great project when complete. How large will be the units? What is the range of rent?

-sb

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 1:54 AM

Awesome! And hey, give some of us republicans some credit...I voted for Kaplan

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 5:32 AM
Fourth and Main

Kaplan is likely the most liberal politician in Winston-Salem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Wow look at that asbestos floor tiles. If the VCT floor tiles are 9 x 9, it is most likely contains asbestos. Even within the other photos there are those 9 x 9 tiles.
The last renovation was in 1953. It was mostly vacated in the late 1970s. The Pepper Building is a real time capsule. I have no doubt the tiles are made of asbestos. I'm guessing the ceiling tiles, collapsing from above, are also asbestos? Asbestos and lead everywhere and raining down from the ceiling. Looking at the 1939 photographs, I can see the building has beautiful hardwood floors under those tiles. The restoration architect said the ground floor still has the original terrazzo. It's all there, they just have to remove the 1939 walls and 1953 renovation. I think the original transom windows are under the 1939 metal panels on the exterior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
How large will be the units? What is the range of rent?
Small Living Space Trend:
These will become micro apartments. This developer will build 53 apartments in the Pepper Building. To give you an idea of how small they are, the previous plans from 2003 called for 25 condos. The current developer will fit more than twice as many units in this building! These apartments will also lease for around $2 a square foot. Sadly, I don't have the floor plans to know the exact apartment sizes at this time. We likely won't have that information until they are half-way completed? Their preservation work is really good. This is the same development team and construction company you see working on the Mast General Store and The Village Lofts project. They have the best ground-floor tenants too!

The architect had a better photograph of the original Zenitherm clad columns; Art Deco capitals; and ceiling:

Credit: David E. Gall Architects

Why would someone paint-over the Zenitherm (marble-like) tiles? It appears as if this was done in 1939, by the furniture store? I'm guessing the capitals and ceiling have their original 1928 paint? Those are unusual and very Art Deco colors and not colors someone would select for a cheap renovation.

This is what the Zenitherm walls in the Pepper Building will look like after restoration:

Credit: AIA (New Jersey State House)

As you can see, it's a marble-like material, made from compressed stone and wood. A number of people have restored it over the years. It can be sanded. Recently, a restoration in California involved creating replacement pieces. I think the company involved in recreating it was KC Restoration? Seeing the broken pieces on the columns, I'm guessing they may have to do this at the Pepper Building too? Yes, David Gall said they will restore it. As you can tell, I'm excited to see this material restored.

Pepper Building Exterior:

Credit: David E. Gall Architects

Project: Pepper Building
General Contractor: McCory Construction
Architect: David E. Gall Architects
Developer: Mike Coe / U.S. Development

Level 7: Mechanical Penthouse
Level 6: Micro Apartments (guessing 10 units)
Level 5: Micro Apartments (guessing 10 units)
Level 4: Micro Apartments (guessing 11 units)
Level 3: Micro Apartments (guessing 11 units)
Level 2: Micro Apartments (guessing 11 units)
Level 1: Lobby & Brazilian Steakhouse with full bar and a walk-in wine cellar
Sub-Level 1: Speakeasy
Sub-Level 2: Storage?

Last edited by Matthew; Nov 12, 2014 at 5:59 AM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 10:05 PM

Central Library design unveiled. It seems like a well designed building. Definitely will bring in a lot of daylight, which was lacking in the old building.

Here is an article about it in the Winston-Salem Journal:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local...Esazg.facebook

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 1:24 AM

I just wish they pushed the design forward to the sidewalk along 5th or converted the green space into a nice park. Its a good design, though and I love the new features.

Here's a first look at the office space planned for the historic Chatham Mills complex rehab project in West End.

commercialrealtync.com

Buildings 21 and 23 are marketed for office and innovation (thanks to the IQ I'm sure!)

Hopefully the apartment portion of the development is soon to follow.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCity View Post
I just wish they pushed the design forward to the sidewalk along 5th or converted the green space into a nice park. Its a good design, though and I love the new features.
Indeed, it is a missed opportunity. Although, with some minor changes the grass could be turned into a great outdoor gathering area.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:04 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Salem College Downtown Residence Hall:
Salem College will break-ground on a new residence hall on December 5, at 4 p.m.,. The 4-storey residence hall will have 92 apartments and will be completed in late summer 2015. Frank L. Blum is the general contractor and CJMW is the architect. This building is located only a block or two away from downtown's tallest skyscraper and will become a new gateway, connecting downtown to Salem College's 243 year-old campus. It should also provide Salem College with visibility from the East-West Expressway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Sterritt - Salem College
“As the oldest educational institution in North Carolina and the oldest continuously operating institution for women in the country, Salem College is privileged to contribute to the revitalization of the downtown Winston-Salem area. Our new building represents the continuation of nearly 250 years of development, and we look forward to building upon that legacy for future generations of Salem students.”
Central Library:
The Streamline Art Moderne building will be demolished and the 1979 modernist concrete box addition will be completely gutted and reclad in glass. It's proposed with a café, a 4th-floor outdoor reading garden with a dramatic mountain view, 308-seat auditorium, an outdoor program space, a festival lawn, a maker-space, and will have less stacks and more technology. The 4th-floor outdoor reading garden is said to have a great view of Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock State Park. This library will be 20,000 square feet larger than the old library and will likely seek Green Globes or LEED certification. It will include an atrium and glass walls, for a more open feel.

After seeing the awesome Civic Plaza library proposal, ...this new design is boring. I'm sure it will look better as a completed project though?

Credit: 88.5 WFDD

Credit: 88.5 WFDD

Credit: Yes! Weekly

A spiral rainwater run-off:

Credit: Yes! Weekly

Historic Union Station:
City council approved hiring Owens Roofing for $210,774 to replace the roof of Union Station. Workers will also install new roof drains, re-caulk between the parapet capstones, add roof insulation, and repaint existing roof ladders. The work is fully funded by a Federal Transportation Authority (FTA) grant. This is the first step toward restoration of the historic train station and possible future streetcar transfer station. It's important to stop the leaks on the roof, so workers can restore the interior.

Kimpton Hotel & Apartments:
In red, white, & blue for Veterans Day. If you photograph this building, tag your photograph as #kimptonhotels I think they offer rewards for doing so?

Credit: Steve Jones

Credit: mistiasaurus

The next time you visit Design Archives, be sure to look for these candy bars!

Credit: Twin City Hive

Link Apartments:
This is a great photograph, showing the apartments from the ballpark across the street.

Credit: Keith Hall

Bailey Power Plant:
Downtown Winston-Salem's Innovation Quarter (IQ District) will soon appear in Nature Biotechnology Magazine. The magazine shared a photograph on their blog I thought SSP would like to see!

http://blogs.nature.com/tradesecrets...-tech-transfer

Site: Nature.com

2014 Digital Cities Survey:
Winston-Salem is the No. 1 city of its size in the 2014 Digital Cities Survey.

Plant 64:
I was surprised to see an update on Winston-Salem's Plant 64 in the Birmingham Business Journal? This project should be completed next month.

Credit: Birmingham Business Journal

Hardwood floors were installed on the 4th floor Friday:

Credit: Plant 64

Plant 64 also said this floor, which is still under construction, is already filling-up! If you want one of these apartments, you really need to talk to them today. Apartments fill very quickly in downtown Winston-Salem, where the vacancy rate is only 2.8%. These are by far the best apartments in the Triad right now (my opinion).

1880 Korner’s Folly Restoration: New to This Thread!
Over the past few years, the Korner’s Folly Foundation has worked to stabilize the foundation and porch and replace the roof. All of the major exterior work is completed and workers are now moving to the interior and starting with The Rose Room. Paint chips were analyzed to find the original paint color for the room. They now know all of the colors the room was painted, since March 1880, and decided to paint it the 1905 color (pink/rose). Mint green was the original March 1880 color. Workers completed some of the plaster work in the room and completed part of the pine flooring restoration. Workers will replace the silk fabric panels on the wall, recreate the burgundy drapes, recreate an historic mural on the ceiling, and finish flooring restoration and repairing the plaster molding. Since Korner’s Folly is a loved landmark and one of Forsyth County's tourist attractions, we will follow it as we find updates on it. It's one of the most eccentric homes you will find. The 7-storey home is likely best known for Cupid’s Park Theater, which is the first little theater in the United States. The original "1880" owner's Reuben Rink Advertising Agency is likely best known for creating the Bull Durham Tobacco logo and ad campaign. The Reuben Rink Advertising Agency is still around today, in downtown Winston-Salem's West End Village/Ballpark District.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=645
Credit: David Rolfe / JournalNow

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...4519.image.jpg
Credit: David Rolfe / JournalNow

BB&T buys Susquehanna Bancshares:
Winston-Salem's largest Fortune 500 headquarters now has $208.5 billion in assets and has expanded into Pennsylvania and New Jersey. This deal will also allow BB&T to grow larger in Maryland and West Virginia. We are still waiting for BB&T to announce a new headquarters tower we can talk about on this thread.

Placemaking & Fun:

Fall in Winston-Salem:

Credit: Jon Wells

Credit: Meghann Evans

I thought you may enjoy this video from over three years ago:
Video Link

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 5:58 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Kimpton Hotel & Apartments:
Something interesting to think about, as you enter this building: The revolving doors are made of silver!

Credit: Adam Sebastian

50 West Fourth Street:
This view of the Kimpton Hotel project also includes 50 West Fourth. We rarely see any updates on 50 West Fourth Apartments & Retail. I'll take what I can find!

Credit: Julia Hood

Chatham Mill: (Former Western Electric Complex)
Construction on this adaptive reuse project will begin in March 2015. The project includes office space and 166 apartments, which are expected to be completed in December 2015.

Plant 64:
rmhpmi posted several updates on different construction projects at WSTB. I'll share just two that are resized. To see more images and bigger images, be sure to visit his updates there and let him know you liked the updates!

Be sure to look at the elevated rail area where rmhpmi (the photographer) was standing. We'll talk about this below, as part of a proposed Light Rail corridor and Bicycle Super-Highway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB

Organic Thermoelectrics:
The Air Force Office of Scientific Research is funding Winston-Salem based research into "Organic Thermoelectrics: the matrix composite approach.” Maybe this will lead to another major tenant in the IQ District? It's amazing how much military funded research is happening in Winston-Salem.

Downtown Medical School:
Another "take what we can find" photograph. Our first photographic update of this project! They are breaking-out the glass block windows. The glass block windows will be replaced with windows that look similar to the original 1920s windows.

Credit: Erika Mac

Bailey Park @ East End:
Workers are installing the sod.

Credit: Adam Sebastian

Big Winston Market:
Yes, Big Winston Market was built and one of the tenants opened their business last month, but we can still talk about Broad Branch Distillery! This is downtown's second or third distillery. Their sign is now in place!

Credit: DWSP

Credit: Broad Branch Distillery

Credit: Broad Branch Distillery

We never did see a side view of the building. It appears as if windows and doors were added:

Credit: Oaks and Spokes

City Hospital Apartments: Built!
Though it was on our construction list for most of the year, we didn't see many updates on this project. I didn't think to check for updates on it. It was the conversion of an historic warehouse on East Fifth Street, built in 1930 on the former City Hospital property, into apartments. It's great to see another historic building reused. It was expected to gain LEED Silver certification.

Credit: Landmark Builders

Credit: Landmark Builders

I think this building was renovated just in time! In 2010 aerials, the roof appeared close to collapsing. I wish the developer and architect would've used similar windows to the original structure and restored the original entrance though. I can tell no tax credits were used.

Before Photograph of 1930 City Hospital Warehouse:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem (2007)

Alternative Transportation Options:

Winston-Salem Light Rail (LRT):
A first look at the Rails-to-Trails project, which will include a bicycle super-highway, walking path, and light rail transit (LRT). This is the light rail project County Commissioner Ted Kaplan said he wants to move forward during his term. This part of the light rail system is located on the east side of downtown (Innovation Quarter / Downtown's IQ District), along an old elevated double rail line. You can see this double rail line between Plant 64 and the medical school project. You can also see it behind 525@Vine and Inmar's new headquarters. It's where the Plant 64 update in this post (see Plant 64 update above) was taken.

Credit: Design Collective

Placemaking & Fun:

Corporate Equality Index:
4 of the top 10 highest scoring companies in North Carolina on the Corporate Equality Index, created by the Human Rights Campaign, are in Winston-Salem. The Human Rights Campaign is a national civil rights organization with a focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues. All three of Winston-Salem's Fortune 500 headquarters are in the top ten! Congratulations to Winston-Salem's Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, headquartered at One West Fourth Street, for their perfect score!

Favorite Winston-Salem Photograph of the Week:

Credit: Lacey Strube

RiverRun International Film Festival:
RiverRun International Film Festival was just named as an Academy Awards qualifying festival in the Short Animation category.

Streamline Art Moderne Bar:
I thought you may find this perfectly restored Streamline Art Moderne bar in Winston-Salem interesting. I think it was built in 1936 or 1937? They loved mirrors back then!

Credit: Small Museums Big Things

Downtown Restaurant in New York Times:
Sweet Potatoes Restaurant, on Trade Street in the Arts District, was in the New York Times story on Thanksgiving Recipes Across The United States. The article also includes a recipe from the downtown restaurant for Sweet Potato Cornbread. Scroll down and look for "North Carolina - Sweet Potato Cornbread" in the link below. I've tried this restaurant before and it is awesome. A must visit on a trip to Winston-Salem.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ates.html?_r=0

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 6:45 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Reynolda Poolhouse:
The scaffolding was removed! The restoration of this Streamline Art Moderne poolhouse is almost complete!

Credit: Trish@Reynolda

New Financial Headquarters:
The newest financial company headquarters in Winston-Salem is Front Street Capital. I'm guessing the headquarters will be at 206 West Fourth Street, which is currently under renovation to office?

Downtown Medical School:
rmhpmi at WSTB shared the first view of progress breaking-out the glass block windows for the new Wake Forest University School of Medicine at Fifth and Vine streets downtown. I shared only one image that I resized. To see more images and larger images, visit his post at WSTB and let him know you like the updates.

Quote:
The medical school adaptive reuse project is on the right and the recently renovated 525@Vine is on the left:

Credit: Cagney Gentry

Forsyth County (Winston-Salem) - The Triad's Most Prosperous:
Forsyth County (Winston-Salem's county) is the Triad region's most prosperous county and the only Triad county in the state's top tier, according to the State Commerce Department. The state uses the unemployment rate, population growth, and assessed property valuation per capita to create their rankings. Forsyth County and Winston-Salem have held the top spot in the Triad every year the state has issued the list.

Edge Flats Twin Towers:
Wow! Tower Two is a massive beast and towers over the East-West Expressway! There are 12-17 storey buildings across the street, so this is developing into a nice canyon. The developer ordered a 6 foot tall (1.8 meter) lighted snowflake for the roof of this building, so look for holiday decorations on this building very soon! As you can see, the snowflake and any other decorations on the roof should be clearly visible from the expressway. I wish I could visit and see this.

Credit: Daniel Stanley

Inmar Adds 400 Jobs in 3 Months and Acquires Another Company:
Inmar is buying Bay Area tech company EXP, to expand further into pharmaceuticals/health care. There are very few details at this time, but this should bring more jobs to downtown's IQ District. Inmar has added 400 new tech jobs in the past three months! The CEO expects to hire more people and see more transfers to their new downtown Winston-Salem headquarters in 2015. How long before Inmar needs more space? Did you know: A third of the country's pharmaceutical scripts run through Inmar's cloud-computing system.

1901 Arcade Building (Fourth & Trade - Retail):
We haven't seen an update on this retail development in a long time! This is the restoration of a building built in 1901! Yes, this building is 113 years old! The restoration should be completed very soon and the retail tenant should open this month. I love this interior! This space will become a contemporary furniture store, home accessories, a beer & wine bar, a live music venue, gift store, jewelry store, art & frame store, and a photography gallery. Maybe more, but that was in the developer's original press release.

This update is from several months of photographs, so you will see photographs showing the building as starting construction and near completion. I didn't think to check for this one until today.

Credit: FourthandTrade

These are colorful display windows:

The original Maple floors are beautiful!

Take note of the preserved original pressed-tin ceiling.

Pressed-tin ceiling before restoration:

Nearly Completed Panoramic View:

Workers building the custom wine racks for the beer & wine bar:

The finished wine racks:

Custom Shelves for Retail Spaces:

Merchandise You Will Find Here:

Merchandise for Furniture Store:

Merchandise for Home Accessories Store:

Downtown Urgent Care Center: New to this Thread!
TimeWarner Cable News is reporting CenterPoint is building a 16 bed 24/7 urgent care center in downtown Winston-Salem.

1771 Miksch House Bake Oven Restoration: Built!
Remember this restoration project, first posted on May 28? It's now completed and looking great!

Credit: SmAshley HQ

Placemaking & Fun:

Sweet Potatoes Restaurant in USA Today:
Downtown Winston-Salem's Sweet Potatoes restaurant appeared in USA Today Travel's list of the 10 best "Delicious pies around the South." The restaurant's pie selection changes frequently.

Interesting Photograph:
Winston-Salem is a city that loves it's history and identity. I love this W-S gate. #HyphenCity

Credit: Jonah Moore

Old Dominion:
The CEO of Old Dominion, David Congdon, was named to Institutional Investor magazine's 2015 All-America Executive Team.

Tiny House Movement:
Winston-Salem filmmakers Alexis Stephens and Christian Parsons are starting the Tiny House expedition. They want everyone in Winston-Salem to think big and build small. Next year, they plan to make a documentary on their new tiny house and take it across the country. If you would like to attend their Community Build Days, they are December 6-7 at West End Millworks. There is a hipster warning issued for this event. You can join them and help them build their new home.

Tiny house plans projected on a building on Trade Street:

Credit: National Public Radio

Old Salem Wins Chocolate Grant:
Mars Chocolate North America awarded a grant to Old Salem Museum and Gardens to study the history of chocolate in Colonial Winston-Salem. Winners were acknowledged at a banquet presented by the Colonial Chocolate Society at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello. Harold Schmitz, chief science officer for Mars Inc., said "At Mars, we encourage the ongoing study of the unique role chocolate has played in our heritage and how it will impact our future. This year's grant winners exemplify that cause and are paving the way for more historic site visitors to touch, taste, see and smell chocolate's rich history firsthand."

Did SkyscraperPage really go a week without noticing or talking about renderings for a Bicycle Superhighway combined with a Light Rail System in downtown Winston-Salem? That surprises me.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 1:14 AM

I thought this was already confirmed? Either way, it's confirmed now!

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...continues.html

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 3:56 AM

Its bittersweet news...mostly sweet. This is the last major factory conversion left for the IQ. We all hope this means new construction will soon follow! This will benefit the surrounding residential, soon to come retail, Kimpton and whomever is considering building in the Central District.

I'm wondering if this is the reason why Bailey Park is left unfinished. Will the southern grass lot be used for materials and trailers that could soon be needed for the Power Plant as well? Will this be used for parking for the students, teachers and shoppers? Or did the IQ just ran out of money?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:58 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad9 View Post
I thought this was already confirmed? Either way, it's confirmed now!
They already started work on it in October, but waited until today to have a press conference. You can see the windows and pipes removed in the current photographs. I guess Bailey Power Plant will be the last major vacant building in the core to be converted?

Projects & Construction:

BioMed Realty Constructing New Office Space: New to this Thread!
If you're looking for new space downtown for your research or technology company, BioMed Realty is starting construction on 115,000 square feet of new space in an adaptive reuse project. The project will also include ground-level retail/restaurant spaces. Further details on the space will be made available in the First Quarter of 2015. Contact Will Partin, Associate Director for BioMed Realty in Winston-Salem, if you're interesting in leasing this space. His number is: (336) 713-1336

Bailey Park @ East End:
Cedar was installed under the stage's roof and the lights are now installed and working! The first phase of Bailey Park @ East End will open in April 2015.

Credit: Pete Fala

Quote:

(The downtown medical school construction project is in the background)
The southern end of Bailey Park @ East End will remain a grass lawn until early 2016, when work begins on the park's second phase, which should include a waterwall, art, three restored historic electrical pylons (for decoration), a walk-through water feature, and more.

A look at the future site (early 2016) of the park's second phase:

Credit: UrbanMez

Keranetics Expands Downtown:
Keranetics has just relocated to a larger office in downtown's IQ District. The expansion of a biotech company's headquarters brought the state's commerce secretary to downtown. They are doubling in size with their new lease at 200 E. Second Street.

Patterson & Fifth Parking Deck With Apartments: New to this Thread!
It appears as if the parking deck for the new IQ District developments will be located at Patterson and Fifth? There was talk of using apartments to hide the parking deck and make this a more urban development. Apartments at this location would have a dramatic view of Bailey Park @ East End! Right now, we are waiting on the official announcement.

50 West Fourth Apartments & Retail:
This is a view from the first floor of the Pepper Building construction site, looking at both 50 West Fourth's construction site across the street and Kimpton Hotel's high-rise construction project! Three adaptive reuse construction projects in one photograph! 50 West Fourth Street will have 58 apartments and a restaurant space. The smallest and cheapest apartment in 50 West Fourth is a 395 square foot unit priced at $2.27 a square foot. There are two and three bedroom units for young families too! The largest unit is a 1,035 square foot unit with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. If you're interested call: (336) 602-1733

Credit: balyons09

Salem College Apartments:
It appears as if the building now has 95 apartments? Construction will be completed in August 2015. It's not the most exciting design, but should bring more college students into downtown and that is always good! Salem College expects to double their enrollment. Salem College was among the first 15 colleges & universities in the United States and is the oldest college or university in North Carolina. Salem College was also the first college or university for women in the United States in the 1700s. Very progressive!

Credit: Salem College

Look at how close this is to downtown!

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Just one block between this site and the city's tallest building!
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...size=620%2C900
Site: Bruce Chapman / JournalNow

Salem College Science and Mathematics Campus: New to this Thread!
Salem College is finally launching the fundraising campaign to build their science and mathematics campus in the South District of downtown's Innovation Quarter (IQ District). Salem College will take about half of the South District's land for this campus. The school has already raised nearly half of the money needed during the quiet phase of the campaign.

“This is the moment for Salem to take the lead in providing students with the best possible education in the sciences and in mathematics. Many of our young women are the next generation of scientific researchers, inventors, and doctors, and we must provide them with state-of-the-art facilities at this critical stage in their education,” says President D. E. Lorraine Sterritt, adding that women are underrepresented in the sciences and in mathematics. There is also talk of supporting faculty research and supporting the university's enrollment growth. Salem College's campus and enrollment are both expected to double in size with these new construction projects.

1901 Arcade Building Restoration:
I love the storefront windows!

Credit: fourthandtrade

One West Fourth Tower:
The 14-storey corporate headquarters of the law firm Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice was certified Gold by the U.S. Green Building Council.

Downtown Medical School:
Still breaking-out the glass block windows and also removing exhaust pipes. It appears as if they are also removing the spandrels on the front of the building? Could the Wake Forest University School of Medicine Building have floor-to-ceiling glass? I guess we will see? This building is expected to bring 2,000 students/faculty/employees to downtown and will also include a medical library that is open late and retail spaces. It is a $100 million adaptive reuse project.

Credit: Joel Fliehler

It appears as if most of the windows on the back side are already removed?

Credit: Joel Fliehler

Downtown Winston-Salem Among Three Leading Centers for Healthcare & Science:
Robert Ingram, a partner with a large venture capital company and the former chairman and chief executive who formed GlaxoSmithKline, said most of the nation's governors would say they want a robust life science and health care community in their states. He said there are probably three leading centers for life science and health care, business and investments in the United States. They are Mission Bay in San Francisco; Cambridge and Boston in Massachusetts; and RTP and Downtown Winston-Salem's Innovation Quarter (IQ District) in North Carolina. Very awesome to hear that from a former executive in the industry and a current partner at a VC firm.

Technology Infrastructure:

AT&T's GigaPower Internet Service: Built!
AT&T launched their GigaPower Ultra High-speed Internet Service in Winston-Salem yesterday. You can sign-up for it right now. Winston-Salem is now one of the few cities in the United States with gigabit internet speeds. GigaPower is designed to provide Internet speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second over an all fiber network. Prices start at $90.

Winston-Salem residents and small businesses can go to www.att.com/GigaPower to sign-up!

Most cities here at SSP talk about gigabit internet as a game changer for their tech community, in attracting tech workers and tech jobs. I guess we will now see if that happens here in Winston-Salem? Winston-Salem is already experiencing a tech boom.

Placemaking & Fun:

Wake Forest University has Nation's Top Pass Rate for CPA Exam:
Students in Wake Forest University School of Business’ Master of Science in Accountancy program have achieved the top pass rate in the nation on the Certified Public Accounting exam. Wake Forest students have earned the top ranking twelve times since 1997, more than any other university during the same time period.

Photographs of the Week:

12th Street:

Credit: Metall Maus

3rd Street:

Credit: David B.

RiverRun Film Festival:
The film submission deadline for the 2015 RiverRun International Film Festival is December 15, 2014. Submission is free for students. To download a submission form and for more information, filmmakers should visit http://riverrunfilm.com/submit The 17th Annual RiverRun Film Festival will be held on April 16-26, 2015 in downtown Winston-Salem's Theatre District.

Tuba Christmas:
2014 is the 41st anniversary for Tuba Christmas concerts and events which are presented throughout the world, including downtown Winston-Salem. Keep Winston-Salem Weird and Nerdy!

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=620
Credit: Andrew Dye / JournalNow

New Downtown Bookstore:
Camel City is downtown's newest book, wine, coffee, news, and art/gift store. Be sure to visit them at 533 North Spring Street.

Credit: Camel City Bookstore

Festival Stage is Back:
Festival Stage is back and headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem. This is the state's new Shakespeare festival company.

Candle Tea:
Do you want to do something "Winston-Salem" for Christmas? Try Candle Tea at Single Brothers' House on December 11-13. Viewing Winston-Salem’s Candle Tea Christmas Putz, with its hand-carved Nativity figures and a miniature replica of Colonial Winston-Salem, is the highlight of an event regarded by many Moravians in Winston-Salem as the opening of the Christmas season. The sights, sounds, and smells of a Moravian Christmas also will be filling Old Salem from inside Winkler Bakery, where one of December’s best delicacies - sugar cake - will be coming out of the oven. Remember: This event is at Single Brothers' House on the Square and not the Single Bros., Bar.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2014, 3:12 AM

Plant 64 virtual tour.
Video Link

WF Medical School night rendering.

http://www.innovationquarter.com/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:42 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

The Edge Flats:
I'm guessing this photograph was taken from the 13th floor of the National Center for Nutrition Research? I'm still amazed by how massive these two apartment buildings are! According to the developer, the building on the left should open to residents soon. I still see the wood framing on the second tower.

Credit: Edge Flats

Credit: Edge Flats

The Pavilion @ Childress Vineyards: New to this Thread!
Childress Vineyards is planning a $1.4 million open-air event space, adjacent to its main building. The 8,400-square-foot structure will have large wood trusses and space for a kitchen and restrooms.

Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co. Interiors Division: New to this Thread!
This massive mixed-use project has increased significantly in size! The Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co., Interiors Campus, near Winston-Salem's Union Cross area, is about to expand by 500,000 square feet and expects to hire hundreds of people next year. Their current building is nearly full! Plans for this project include adding retail and residential in addition to the 500,000 square foot building Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co., has announced.

Wake Forest School of Medicine:
The downtown medical school appears to have removed all the windows on the east side and is demolishing the service entrances on the west side where the courtyard is proposed. The downtown medical school is an adaptive reuse project, converting a 1923 industrial building in downtown's IQ District into university classrooms.

Credit: WXII-TV 12 (from yesterday!)

Pepper Building Apartments & Retail:
Typical Winston-Salem. Workers are currently demolishing the interior and the city's local artists are trying to create a community art display in the storefront windows. If you would like to see a paper snowflake you made in the Pepper Building's storefront windows, take your snowflake to the Milton Rhodes Center for the Arts. Even with construction workers inside, Winston-Salem's artists and hipsters still want to use this as an art gallery.

1901 Arcade Building: Built!
This is a must visit, if you have an apartment or condo downtown. I haven't seen any photographs of the bar or art spaces, so maybe those are still under renovation? If someone has the time, please visit this building at Fourth and Trade streets and let us know.

Credit: DWSP

Credit: John Raines

Credit: Terry Miller

Hatch is Expanding in Winston Tower:
Software/technology company Hatch has added jobs to support their "extensive growth" due to increased demand for their software and technology. The company is growing by 30% and will lease more space in Winston Tower as well as reconfigure their existing space in the 30-storey skyscraper. Some employees will be temporarily moved to the 14th floor, due to the space reconfiguration.

The tech companies in downtown Winston-Salem are always hiring. If you're thinking of moving to Winston-Salem and you're looking for a job: Hatch is a dog friendly workplace and yes, you read this correctly... Hatch is located in a skyscraper! If you're not a web developer/tech worker, they do have jobs for other positions, like marketing, sales director, or VP of Operations.

The Village Lofts: Built!
These micro apartments are now completed in the Arts District and are leasing for around $2 a square foot. It appears as if the bedroom is upstairs and everything else is in one room downstairs? If you're interested in leasing, call: (980) 224-3227 You can also schedule a tour at info@tejrentals.com I see a lot of interest in these units and they will fill this building fast, so talk to them now if you're interested! Apartment vacancy in downtown Winston-Salem is only 2.8%! I've seen buildings like this almost fully leased in just the first weekend they are available.

Mast General Store is a separate construction project on the ground floor. It is still under construction and we will continue to follow it.

Credit: Village Lofts

Hilltop House South:
The Modular Building Institute selected the recently completed Hilltop House South apartments as the Modular Building of the Month for December 2014. According to the development company "In the middle of downtown, workspace was at a minimum and the smallest amount disturbance to the surroundings was also important for neighboring businesses and homes." It appears as if it took only 7 months to build this building?

Hilltop House South also won the 2014 NAHB Award for Modular Multi-Family Home Design, and was featured in the November 2014 issue of North Carolina Construction News.

So many of the new apartments and buildings in downtown Winston-Salem are winning awards, appearing in publications, and receiving national recognitions. Even the buildings showcase Winston-Salem as the City of Arts & Innovation.

I found a video of the groundbreaking ceremonies. I love this location! Again, only one block separates Salem College's new apartment building from the city's tallest skyscraper. Awesome downtown location for a residence hall and it should help bring more students into the heart of downtown.

Video Link

Autopsy Center: New to this Thread!
The N.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has recommended building an autopsy center to serve the Triad and Northwest North Carolina in Winston-Salem. The center would serve 25 counties in and around Winston-Salem/Forsyth County and receive nearly $2 million a year for operational costs. It will also provide training and supervision for pathology residents on their rotations at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine, which is moving downtown. There is a good chance this could be built downtown, in the IQ District? We'll see if this project is worth following as more details emerge.

Placemaking & Fun:

USA Cycling Masters Road National Championships
Winston-Salem's love for "sport cycling" has brought the 2016 and 2017 USA Cycling Masters Road National Championships to downtown Winston-Salem and the Yadkin River Valley. The championships are expected to bring nearly 1,000 riders to Winston-Salem each year. This is a summer event and is in addition to the Winston-Salem Cycling Classic, held during the spring each year. This should be around the time the Olympic Cycling Center and Bicycle Super Highway open?

Fog:
This camera is on the roof of the 30-storey Winston Tower.

Credit: WFMY-TV 2 Skycam

Photographs of the Week:

Credit: CamelCityPromo

Credit: Larry Hall

I love this view!

Credit: Julie Knight / American City Business Journals

Kimpton Hotel Construction Project in Red & Green:

Credit: Flywheel

America's Coolest Downtowns:
Winston-Salem made Answers.com's 12 Coolest Downtowns in America list. For those who want to know: There are several other awesome downtowns on the list as well, such as Portland, San Antonio, Greenville, Savannah, Cleveland, Austin, and Chicago. Good company to be in! Winston-Salem made the list due to the city's impressive historic building stock and art & culture. Very awesome!

Winston-Salem in This Month's Atlanta Magazine:
Winston-Salem's Old Salem National Landmark District is a "Destination" in this month's Atlanta Magazine. Did you know: Downtown's Colonial Old Salem District has 107 historic buildings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Magazine
In the historic district, the Tavern in Old Salem offers creative cocktails, craft beers, and updated, locally sourced fare inspired by Moravian traditions. For a change of pace, browse the galleries of Winston-Salem’s Downtown Arts District. Don’t miss the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts, with the nation’s finest collection of its kind. Reynolda House Museum of American Art has a collection by masters such as Georgia O’Keeffe, Mary Cassatt, and Frederic Church, as well as expansive gardens and a shopping village. Self-guided and candlelight tours are available through December, with many giving visitors a taste of treats like ginger cookies and spicy hot chocolate. On the second Saturday of the month, a brass band plays on the square as candles are lit on a giant pyramid—an open, triangular structure that holds nativity scenes and is the forerunner to a Christmas tree. All are welcome for Love Feasts at St. Philips, the state’s longest-standing black church, or other area Moravian churches. These are candlelit holiday services, where congregants share cardamom-spiced buns and sweet coffee. Illuminated 26-point stars originated as a Moravian symbol of Advent but have become popular fixtures year-round. Shops at Old Salem offer star-shaped lanterns as well as ornament-sized versions.
A Christmas Pyramid? I don't think I've ever seen it before on my visits.

Credit: Atlanta Magazine

This is, without a doubt, our "Keep Winston-Salem Wierd & Nerdy" Topic of the Week:

Credit: balyons09

Best Cities for People Under 35:
Winston-Salem made the top 25 list of best cities for people under 35, by vocativ. They ranked transportation, the price of weed, tech jobs, size of the LGBT community, music festivals, diversity, median age, sports, weather, food, and more. What did they have to say about Winston-Salem? I'll share a couple of quotes: "the medical and technology fields are booming in Winston-Salem" "You can grab a bite and hit the town on 4th Street, head to Krankies Coffee for a concert, see an indie flick at A/perture Cinema or check out the arts district downtown." New York City was #1 on the list. For our forum members from other cities reading this: The top 10 included San Francisco, Denver, Austin, Seattle, Madison, Portland, etc.,. Winston-Salem was #22 on the list and the only North Carolina city in the top 25.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:21 PM

Many of these developments are surprising me. Initially, I wasnt too excited about 4th and Trade and the Village Lofts. I thought they would be average apts and just an average everyday store much like the previous tenant. I was so wrong! Both look great and bring something new to downtown. I'm assuming that loft ladder leads to the bedroom? very cool...and so are the high windows. Style wise, 4th and Trade looks like a local version of "Mast."

I hope they still plan on adding a courtyard and public art facing 5th to go along with the Village apts.

Love your updates BTW.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 6:31 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you. I sometimes question if anyone is reading this. I also want to thank those who provide photographs and renderings. This is posted by an outsider (someone not in Winston-Salem) from an outsider's perspective for other outsiders; which explains the heavy use of imagery and also a section at the end of the post to show what the city is like, for those who aren't familiar with it.

I'll be in suburban Chicago later this week to visit family. Nearly all of my mom's side of the family lives there. For this reason, I may not have an update for next week? I will continue to keep-up with what is happening in Winston-Salem and would like to provide some type of update, but if not, you know why.

Fourth and Trade is a local downtown version of Kirklands, if you're familiar with that store. Mast General Store will be completely different from Fourth and Trade. It's great to have both of those stores just a block apart in downtown.

Projects & Construction:

A look inside the downtown medical school from one of my favorite photographers!

A rare view of the downtown medical school's east side from rmhpmi @ WSTB. This photograph is from the elevated bike/pedestrian/light rail (LRT) project. As you can see, all of the green glass block windows are removed from this side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @WSTB

Credit: WFIQ

I love the view from Fifth and Vine streets:

Credit: Matt Brown

Inmar Grows Again:
Inmar has acquired Austin-based Clarus Agency. Clarus designs and develops cutting-edge custom mobile experiences for web, iOS and Android platforms. When Inmar acquires a company, they add jobs in their downtown Winston-Salem headquarters. I do expect to see Inmar building a new building downtown very soon.

414 Northwest: Built!
This fills a large lot in the Northwest Industrial District. Congratulations to West & Stem for winning the best small firm award.

Credit: West & Stem

ARTivity on the Green:
Our first construction update on this project! Yes, this weird-looking park is under construction. This should be awesome when it's built!

Credit: AFAS Group

218 East Fourth: New to this Thread!
This is the latest adaptive reuse project, in downtown's IQ District, converting this 1922 building into apartments and a retail business called Salon 7. Integrated Commercial Contractors is the GC and the dumpster is on site right now.

ZSR Library:
We haven't seen an SSP update on this project in five months!

4th Floor:

Credit: ZSR Library Gazette

A dramatic change since July for this Conference Room:

Discarded Ductwork:

Cherry Street Hotel:
Tenants have vacated the buildings at Cherry & Third streets for the new hotel. They had to move-out by December 12. Could we see demolition start soon for this exciting new hotel project? I would like to see renderings and know what the hotel flag will be. This could add a nice mid-rise building to this part of downtown's Financial District? If you're looking for the regional opera company (largest tenant at this address), they moved three or four blocks west, to the Theatre District area.

Bailey Park @ East End:
rmhpmi posted several updates at WSTB and I found a few extra by accidentally clicking on one. I hope he doesn't mind if I repost these. To the original photographer: If you would like for me to remove the two unposted images, let me know and I will remove them. Be sure to visit his posts at WSTB, to see larger originals and thank him for these updates. The building with the faded yellow paint and green glass block windows, being renovated by Whiting-Turner Contracting Company in the background, is the Wake Forest University downtown medical school at Vine & Fifth streets. You can see where some of the windows are being removed and you can see how close it is to Bailey Park @ East End.

Quote:

50 West Fourth Apartments & Retail:
A night photograph from The Plaza. These 58 apartments are just 2 or 3 months away from completion!

Credit: Sarah Mitchell

Centennial Trading Co., Manufacturing Center: New to this Thread!
Winston-Salem based hipster clothing company, Centennial Trading Co., has started construction on a manufacturing facility to make all their clothes right here in Winston-Salem. When this building is completed, Centennial will design and make everything in Winston-Salem! This company is rapidly expanding and we may follow this for fun? Centennial's headquarters, design center, and store is located at 305 W. Fourth Street in downtown. Be sure to visit their downtown clothing store for any hipsters on your shopping list!

Credit: Centennial Trade Co.

East Carolina University:
Yes, ECU in our Northwest North Carolina thread! They have completed their regional branch of the School of Dental Medicine Campus, on the southern end of Winston-Salem's metro area, and they endowed it. Eddie Smith Jr., CEO of Grady-White Boats, created the endowment to honor his father, a native of the Winston-Salem Metro Area.

1775 T. Bagge Merchant Building Renovation: Built!
The lower level of this nearly 240 year old building is now renovated for a new restaurant! It's called The Harpsichord Eatery. The retail business on the upper floor is still operating as usual. This restaurant is located just a few blocks south of downtown's tallest building.

Credit: John Pierce

Credit: John Pierce

Ritz Theatre Restoration:
Do you like old movie theatres? Would you like to help Lizz Goins-Turner with this restoration? She is raising 10% of the theatre's restoration cost through crowdfunding! Share this with your friends who also want to see this movie theatre restored.

http://www.gofundme.com/ge0xt0

The Edge Flats Tower Two:
For this update, we have a zoomed-in view of just the second tower. The first tower is almost completed, so there isn't much to follow on it. It appears as if they are now installing the windows on the second of the twin towers and the building has no exposed framing. If you look closely, you'll see it's snowing in the photograph.

Credit: The Edge Flats

Placemaking & Fun:

The "5" Royales in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame:
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced Winston-Salem's "5" Royales will be inducted into The Hall on April 18, 2015. The "5" Royales' "Winston-Salem Sound" influenced Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix. James Brown also patterned his band after them. Steve Cropper, legendary guitar player for Booker T. and the M.G.s, who co-wrote “(Sittin’ on) the Dock of the Bay" and “In the Midnight Hour" called Lowman Pauling one of his biggest influences. "With their soaring vocals, haunting melodies and Darryl Pauling’s staccato guitar bursts, the Royales created a signature sound that helped lay the groundwork for rock and roll, fusing together gospel, doo-wop and jump blues." Cultural historian Peter Guralnic, who has written acclaimed books on Elvis Presley, Sam Cooke and the roots of R&B and soul music, said the Royales’ music stands on its own, with or without validation from the Hall.

This is the Winston-Salem Sound and the original version of this song!
Video Link

Video Link

The 5 Royales deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! I could listen to their music all night.

Photographs of the Week:

Credit: Britt Chester / Yes!

I love the lobby of the Nissen Apartment Building (below). It's such an awesome building. At 20-storeys, it was North Carolina's tallest building when it opened in 1926. The Nissen Building was restored by HRI a few years ago.

Christmas in the Nissen Building:

Credit: Kim G.

Merry Christmas! Civic Plaza @ Fourth Street

Credit: James Melton

The Holly Avenue Historic District is Awesome! One of many reasons Winston-Salem is "the sanctuary for the weird and creative."

Credit: ahl

Keep Winston-Salem Weird & Nerdy!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 6:23 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Lennar Multifamily Investors: New to this Thread!
It appears as if apartment developer Lennar Multifamily Investors, a division of Miami-based Lennar Corp., is the developer for a site fronting Fourth Street in the West End Village District of downtown Winston-Salem. They are also now the developer for another site at Holly Avenue and Broad streets in downtown's West End Village District. Lennar has 4 acres in downtown Winston-Salem to develop and Lennar has completed soil testing on the Fourth Street site. So what does Lennar "Multifamily" Investors have planned for these sites? This company has enough land to build 3 apartment buildings or maybe one average sized building and one massive two-block long building, so they must really love downtown Winston-Salem. They appear to have developments in several major cities, but all of their buildings look different. They have two national brands: Tapestry and Crest. They also have uniquely named buildings as well. I see some retail in their downtown buildings, including a grocery store in their Seattle apartment building, so there is a good chance they will add retail spaces to the Fourth Street restaurant and retail row. It is worth noting Fowler would like a grocery store on the Fourth Street site and Whole Foods was looking in this part of downtown before the recession. I guess we will see what they are proposing in the new year? I haven't seen any renderings or a site plan, so all I can do is guess at what could happen.

BB&T Financial Center:
Winston-Salem's third tallest skyscraper sold for $250 a square foot. According to Real Capital Analytics: The deal is the highest amount paid for an office building in the Southeast in 2014. WOW! BB&T's headquarters building was built in 1987. Ty Rhame said "Being part of BB&T and Winston-Salem is a winning combination.”

Pepper Building Apartments & Retail:
U.S. Development is gutting the building. This is an update from my favorite photographer.

Visit Mez's album to see more!

Plant 64 Apartments & Retail:
This should be close to completion? This building still looks dark, so I'm guessing it's not completed at this time? If you're interested in leasing the next phase, call (336) 793-2282 These are the best apartments downtown. I say this with no doubts. With an apartment vacancy rate of 2.8%, apartments lease fast in downtown Winston-Salem. If you want one of these units, you need to call or visit now!

Credit: Jenny Redd

The courtyard area is now cleared. They are still demolishing the interior and removing the glass block windows.

Wake Forest University's downtown medical school from the Vine Street Bridge over Fifth Street:

Credit: autumn_in_ny

Two interior views of the downtown medical school from my favorite photographer:

Be sure to visit Mez's album to see more.

Frank L. Blum Construction was kind enough to share an elevation drawing and floor plans. These renderings are different from what we viewed a few weeks ago. I like the new design more, so I'm very pleased with this change! This building is designed to fit-in with the neighborhood's Victorian rowhouses, designed by well-known Mid-Atlantic architect Charles L. Carson! The development team Carson was a part of had plans to fill this neighborhood with Second Empire and Queen Anne rowhouses in the 1880s and 1890s. It is awesome to see Salem College build their new building to match what remains of Carson's beautiful Victorian structures!

National Center for Design Innovation:
Since construction began, we really haven't seen many updates in this thread for this IQ District project. There was an update last month, but I didn't know about it until several weeks later. Right now, construction is almost complete! It will open sometime in the next two or three months.

Credit: CDI

Bailey Power Plant:
We are waiting for a big announcement this week... possibly involving Bailey Power Plant! If the announcement happens, it will likely happen on Wednesday.

Placemaking & Fun:

It's great to see the brewery save this historic neon sign!

Credit: Ryan Boyles

Awesome view of Winston Factory Lofts Building II:

Credit: darkshadows36

Fear the PB&J Monster! And Keep Winston-Salem Weird and Nerdy

Credit: Ben Boyles

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations