Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 11:16 AM

Thanks!

More blocks:
Section003_pic08 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 8:46 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Looking good
I think I wrote this early on in the thread, but I def would go visit this city with the family.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 1:19 PM

Nice city, i really like the construction sites and the variety of buildings. Also, could you put the construction sites models on a hidden layer so people can access them when the city is finished, or upload the individual construction site models when the buildings are complete?

Also, do you plan to add a freeway system?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Looking good
I think I wrote this early on in the thread, but I def would go visit this city with the family.
Thanks! I would even move in with my family, but maybe it would be easier for me, as I already live in Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codster121 View Post
Nice city, i really like the construction sites and the variety of buildings. Also, could you put the construction sites models on a hidden layer so people can access them when the city is finished, or upload the individual construction site models when the buildings are complete?

Also, do you plan to add a freeway system?
Thanks! The construction sites will evolve as time moves on, so at one point they will be finished. I only have the very first phase of construction as a separate model and I'm not planning to save those other phases as separate models. They're also actually not very detailed and only meant to be viewed from a distance. But maybe someday - if I ever finish this city - I will share it. And yes, there will be a highway system.

Update:
Section003_pic09 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 2:26 PM

As the South Port was replaced by the Halvoo Port in the 1990's, also the railyards where moved away from the Halvoonniemi cape. Also some train tracks at the Central Railway Station were left unused, so the railway station railyard area was opened for redevelopment in the 2000's. One of the buildings built over the tracks is the only hotel in Halvoo of the international Hutton Inn hotel chain. It opened its doors in 2008. The tower is 87 meters to the roof. An elevated park and a mixed-use complex with a tower is planned for the open space west of the railway station.

Section003_pic10 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from northeast.

Section003_pic11 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 12:56 PM

A Halvoo stadium has stood at this location since 1921. The current incarnation is from the 1960's and there have been talks whether it should be replaced or if a modern stadium should be built at a different location. The Halvoo Stadium is Halvoo's main venue for football (soccer) games and track and field events, as well as major concerts.

After the South Port was shut down in the 1990's, its rail yard was replaced by a sports park just northwest of the stadium.

Section003_pic12 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from northwest:
Section003_pic13 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from inside the stadium:
Section003_pic15 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from the sports park looking southeast:
Section003_pic14 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 10:06 AM
YIMBY co-founder

A pretty short walk from the station to the stadium. Very nice for visiting fans.
Get the right seat and you'll be able to see the game, the skyline and (if you turn your head) the trains. Sweet.

Good looking stadium, and putting the new fields behind it is certainly something cities would do.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:23 PM

This tower was built for the Halvoon-Osake-Pankki bank in 1982. The building is still the headquarters of the bank, but after a few name changes, the building is today known as the Mensarium Tower (after the new "international sounding" name Mensarium Bank of the bank). The tower is 109 meters tall to the roof, which makes it the fifth tallest building in Halvoo.

Section003_pic16 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from northeast.
Section003_pic17 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A street level view from south.
Section003_pic18 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:46 PM
Pro Web Slinger

Good progress

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:25 PM

Headquarters of E-Pankki bank were completed in 1988. The tower is 143 meters tall to the rooftop (not including the spire). It was the tallest building in Halvoo from 1988 to 2007 and it's still the third tallest tower in the city.

Section003_pic19 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from west.
Section003_pic20 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A view from southeast.
Section003_pic21 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 3:05 PM

Wow looks amazing Vellu....Im still waiting to see some church spires,love all the new towers.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 11:54 AM

Thanks, toyota! First church is coming up this spring.

More blocks completed:
Section003_pic22 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 7:19 PM
Pro Web Slinger

This thread doesn't get enough attention, it deserves much more

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:49 PM

Well the forum isn't as busy as it once was .I still look at what's going on here even though I might not comment.. .This city is great and look forward to seeing some spires pop up

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 7:07 AM
YIMBY co-founder

The blocks this of the railroad look to be the same height as on the harbour side and the buildings as fancy (on average). So...
It was growing pretty fast around the turn of the century? And had access to financing for many good size buildings.

You've already got inner city Stockholm well beat when it comes to highrises (skyscrapers by local standards).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:21 PM

Thanks for the comments! Yes, the forum isn't as active as it used to be, but you can tell from the view count, that people still come here to view the threads, so it isn't all dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
The blocks this of the railroad look to be the same height as on the harbour side and the buildings as fancy (on average). So...
It was growing pretty fast around the turn of the century? And had access to financing for many good size buildings.
Most of the area north of the railroad was built in 1920's and 30's, when the city grew very, very fast. Another building boom was in the 50's and 60's and then again in 21st century.

Here is Kastellitorni, a 95-meter tall building completed in 1989.
Section003_pic23 by Vellu04, on Flickr

A previous scene updated with Kastellitorni.
Section003_pic24 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 8:49 AM

Update:

Section003_pic25 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 11:29 AM

Update:
Section003_pic26 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 11:18 AM

Section003_pic27 by Vellu04, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 9:40 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Still looking good.
Very realistic how the blocks get more split up the further from the center it gets and the newer the area gets. Some buildings I can totally see in Stockholm, some are surprisingly far from what Stockholm has built (mostly the taller towers). It's like I can see that it's Finland

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup