HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Ghetto?! In Winnipeg, that would be a charming urban neighbourhood.
Yeah, it doesn't look bad at all. There are far worse looking areas in many Canadian cities. Even in Toronto itself.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

This is how I handle aggressive pan-handlers:
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:23 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRealOg View Post
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.67357...7i13312!8i6656 this is the ghetto of of canada though there are other parts this is one of the mains

Uhh...this is one of Toronto's wealthiest, safest, all-around most desirable neighbourhoods. Unless we're talking about upper-middle class WASP ghettos here...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:47 PM

LOL, he must have just typed in Scarborough and Google took him to Scarborough Rd in the Beach(es). If you want in that ghetto you'd need at least 1.5 million to find a place.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 2:53 PM
sick transit, gloria

The oversized strollers and golden retrievers can be a bit much in the Beach. Harrowing, even.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:00 PM

When I first moved to Toronto 10 years ago now that's where I lived. I would never go back. Great place to raise a family but too vanilla for my liking. Also the food scene out there is a bit dull.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:31 PM

Living in dt Edmonton I've become somewhat desensitized to the panhandling. I go the Harrison Ford route every now and then if I'm already in an irritable mood, but generally just say no. I've never had any threats of violence, although I'm also 6'6. Occasionally I've pretended to not understand english which has been surprisingly effective.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
Living in dt Edmonton I've become somewhat desensitized to the panhandling. I go the Harrison Ford route every now and then if I'm already in an irritable mood, but generally just say no. I've never had any threats of violence, although I'm also 6'6. Occasionally I've pretended to not understand english which has been surprisingly effective.
Haha, that is my go-to response when abroad...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 11:11 PM

Saint John's (the other one) ghettos:

link

link

link

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 1:27 AM

Some places people consider ghettos in Toronto. However, as you can see. Except for a few troubled buildings, the areas are usually fine, and nothing will happen to you.

Malvern in Scarborough.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.80483...7i13312!8i6656

Danzig Street in Scarborough, where they had the shooting at a block party.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.76482...7i13312!8i6656

Jane and Finch. Again, look at the nice houses next to the troubled high-rises. The surrounding streets are very nice, and not bad at all.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.75962...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 1:31 AM

C'mon man. We know what this thread is really about. It's the DTES. Really Canada's only ghetto. And it is Canada's ghetto, because half the homeless here come from the frozen tundras of Quebec, Ontario, and Alberta, and the rest of Canada's frozen hell. So welcome to Vancouver. Need a crack pipe? They're free here.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 1:57 AM
Aimless Wanderer

For Toronto, the Weston Road, Jane/Lawrence area or the Oakwood-Vaughan/5 points area come to mind when I think of older, "inner city" style hoods that conjure up images similar to American style "ghettos".

There are actually plenty of gritty looking neighbourhoods much closer to the downtown core, but they are too popular with the hipster crowd and have too many hip businesses and restaurants to have that true "hood" feel. Dundas-Sherbourne/Moss Park in downtown East may be the closest thing in the downtown area to fit that description.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 1:59 AM

These are the only three 'areas' (subsets of parc ex, mtl north, stmichel) where I would pay (slight) attention to my surroundings at night in Montreal. They don't look that bad during the day. But I think with ghettoes looks can often be deceiving. The crappiest parts of Montreal are typically not as dense as the central areas. So there is more greenery and sometime single family homes, which makes them look Ok to the untrained eye. Mind you, I'm not saying these areas are dangerous... just sketchy.

Lacordaire/henri-bourassa

St-michel metro area

Parc ex innards
Looks like streetview is from 07'. Maybe it really is bad !

Overall, I'd say the metro system is probably the least safe part of the city, which is saying something because it really isn't bad. The NY subway is 10X more terrifying until you realize how insanely over-policed the whole city is. When I was a teenager there was never, NEVER security of any kind in the metro late at night. It was spooky at times.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 2:13 AM

This is the worst part of the DTES. Empty in this shot, but later in the evening and overnight is the time to truly appreciate it. In 10 years this stretch of Hastings will be filled with hip bars and restaurants, along with the rest of East Hastings.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.28149...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 2:44 AM

As was mentioned. If you want sketch, then Sherbourne an Queen, Sherbourne and Dundas, and the Sherbourne corridor as a whole will give it to you in Toronto.
Not dangerous. But most of the social service agencies are housed in this small stretch, and so you get a ton of down and out people hanging out on the streets.

It is actually the only place in Toronto where you can feel intimidated. The street view does not give you the full effect. If you go down now on a summer evening, the street is literally lined with people.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.65505...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 5:49 AM
sick transit, gloria

i'm in New Orleans right now on a trip and it makes me realize how good Canadian cities have it. Moss Park is sketch as shit, but it has nothing on some corners in Nola. We biked to many neighbourhoods here and once and a while just got some incredibly bad vibes - but the next block over is fine. Toronto is so incredibly safe you can really just go everywhere. As Mike said it is intimidating in the Sherbourne corridor but it's not dangerous at all.

I literally felt scared for my life here at one point less than a block from one of the most upscale restaurants in the city in NoLa. We also biked through one of the neighbourhoods in the lower ninth ward which seemed super cool. Every person on the street said hi to us.

Also to note - we didn't do bike tours. Actually rented bikes from a local shop and just explored ourselves.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
These are the only three 'areas' (subsets of parc ex, mtl north, stmichel) where I would pay (slight) attention to my surroundings at night in Montreal. They don't look that bad during the day. But I think with ghettoes looks can often be deceiving. The crappiest parts of Montreal are typically not as dense as the central areas. So there is more greenery and sometime single family homes, which makes them look Ok to the untrained eye. Mind you, I'm not saying these areas are dangerous... just sketchy.

Lacordaire/henri-bourassa

St-michel metro area

Parc ex innards
Looks like streetview is from 07'. Maybe it really is bad !

Overall, I'd say the metro system is probably the least safe part of the city, which is saying something because it really isn't bad. The NY subway is 10X more terrifying until you realize how insanely over-policed the whole city is. When I was a teenager there was never, NEVER security of any kind in the metro late at night. It was spooky at times.
Recently took a night walk in park ex... Didn't notice anything sketchy at all... Actually noticed a lot if interesting architecture... Maybe I'll do a photo series one day....

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
Recently took a night walk in park ex... Didn't notice anything sketchy at all... Actually noticed a lot if interesting architecture... Maybe I'll do a photo series one day....
If you do, for your own safety, you need to go to Marven's and have a souvlaki.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM
Vancouver Moderator

At least the DTES is slowly improving, in certain sections anyway.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 6:26 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Saint John's (the other one) ghettos:

link

link

link
I grew up in this ghetto and it's the worst east of Quebec by far. Haven't been to DTES or Winnipeg but as far as I can tell only Scarborough was worse in terms of pure poverty and drug use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada