HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 2:22 AM
The Lizard King

Great shots of the new bridge....... Is going to be cool when the arch starts getting shape........ even more amazing when it gets completed.... Imagine all the time drivers are going to save....... Thanks for the updates...... you don't see updates of the bridge too often here...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 2:54 AM
JoeCooper

Once all the current project on hold, under construction, and if you throw in the World Jewelry Center, you'll have a skyline competing with several others throughout the US if you exclude New York, Chicago, and borderlined with Houston. Not to turn it into a city VS. city or anything, but it is pretty exciting!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 12:44 AM
Sleep is for quitters

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 1:38 AM
JoeCooper

Thanks a lot for the picture. I'm more than excited for when they start the crown. Is the crown going to consist of 1 or 2 floors? Either way, it will be great to see it started! Also, why are the numbers 725 and 735 intertwained when people refer to the height? It has to be one or the other...

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Sep 29, 2008 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 5:14 AM
Closed Account

World-class architecture

If you think about it, it's pretty amazing how much world-class architecture is going on in the Resort Corridor regardless of the current financial crisis.

I just wrote a blog about that very subject, along with renders and the names of the major architects making the Strip a new place (including linking their names to each project)

You can check it out below if you're interested...

What do THESE names mean to the Las Vegas Strip? --- Everything.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
Thanks a lot for the picture. I'm more than excited for when they start the crown. Is the crown going to consist of 1 or 2 floors? Either way, it will be great to see it started! Also, why are the numbers 725 and 735 intertwained when people refer to the height? It has to be one or the other...
the blueprints say 735ft. the older renders shows at least 2 floors for the crown http://www.vegastodayandtomorrow.com...r%20070719.jpg

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 6:03 PM

Here's some more info on Windham Desert Blue

This came from the RJ.

Martin-Harris Construction is building the first phase of Desert Blue, a 19-story, 281-room time share project by Wyndham Hotels and Resorts on Twain Avenue, west of Interstate 15.

It will be Wyndham's flagship time share property with one- and two-bedroom units and Presidential Suites. Amenities include a lobby, outdoor pools, fountains and spas.

The initial phase is scheduled for completion in early 2010. Two more high-end towers are planned for the 14-acre site north of the Rio hotel.

A seven-story parking structure with 1,100 spaces is under construction. Concrete has been poured for tension decks and steel is in place to proceed with a unique exterior of "panelized skin," Martin-Harris project manager Brian Schmidt said.

Florida-based Wyndham operates more than 145 vacation ownership resorts, including three WorldMark brands (formerly TrendWest) in Las Vegas.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 6:50 PM
Sleep is for quitters

from the looks of citycenter's construction cam, they are adding the Vdara signage on the building, can anyone get some pics?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 7:28 PM

Direct link to CityCenter construction cam:

http://www.citycenter.com/luxury_las...struction.aspx

Looks like the signage is up?

Personally, I'd like them all plain. People will figure out what's what in no time.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 7:22 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 7:22 PM

repeat post

Last edited by DMaldon762; Sep 30, 2008 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 12:01 AM

I took some from the freeway today, I'll get them up tomorrow. I was surprised to see it up already, but luckily had my camera in the car.

Just can't get the pics downloaded right now.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 4:16 AM
Closed Account

Vdara Sign

I'm going to try and take shots tomorrow.

Last edited by Aaron Auxier; Oct 1, 2008 at 4:48 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 4:51 AM
Desert Dweller

Wow the Vdara sign just killed Vdara. Its just too big, now it looks just sily. I usually love signs on buildings, but this is rediculous.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 5:32 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Wow the Vdara sign just killed Vdara. Its just too big, now it looks just sily. I usually love signs on buildings, but this is rediculous.
Patrick, out of all the blogs i've ever seen you post you have never had anything positive to say. i thought these forums where for people who love skyscrapers. Are you from hong kong?.. that you have to be so picky... we get it, you hate every skyscraper that goes up... try living in a small town where the tallest building is only 3 stories tall

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hans Gruber

City Center has got to be one of the 8 wonders of the world. That project is just a massive project even on Vegas 24x7 construction standards.

Just a few random comments. My brother tells me he's getting free room and airfare offers from some Vegas hotels. High end resorts are offering weekday room rates of $29 per night. Could it be possible that Vegas is losing it's invincibility? I'm even starting to worry.

With the Vegas big real estate downturn, will Steve Wynn keep the golf course a little longer? I sure hope he mothballs his plan to destroy the golf course behind the Wynn.

I like all the new construction in Vegas with the exception of the Fontainbleu parking garage. That thing is obstrusive and disrespectful to the condos next door. Didn't the guy building Fontainbleu also build Turnberry Towers next door?

I hope Vegas comes back strong in 5 years. I say this because it's going to take 5 years to finish and sell all of the new projects.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 1:42 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleans View Post
Patrick, out of all the blogs i've ever seen you post you have never had anything positive to say. i thought these forums where for people who love skyscrapers. Are you from hong kong?.. that you have to be so picky... we get it, you hate every skyscraper that goes up... try living in a small town where the tallest building is only 3 stories tall
I'm a fan of skyscrapers and I agree with Patrick. That Vdara sign is a blemish on an otherwise good design. It's too big and feels out of place. Just because one is a skyscraper fan doesn't mean one can't be critical.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

With the Vegas big real estate downturn, will Steve Wynn keep the golf course a little longer? I sure hope he mothballs his plan to destroy the golf course behind the Wynn.

I like all the new construction in Vegas with the exception of the Fontainbleu parking garage. That thing is obstrusive and disrespectful to the condos next door. Didn't the guy building Fontainbleu also build Turnberry Towers next door?

I hope Vegas comes back strong in 5 years. I say this because it's going to take 5 years to finish and sell all of the new projects.
vegas is starting to struggle, visitors numbers and gaming revenue are down about 15% from this time last year, i have yet to receive $29 a night offers from high-end resorts though

any projects not close to completition won't be happening in this climate for a long time, wynn's golfcourse plans will have to wait as will adelsons venetian expansion. plaza is dead as far as i am concerned and echelon will probably never rise any further

yes the people who built turnberry also built the big parking garage/convention center next door

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 3:35 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleans View Post
I actually agree with Patrick. I mean coming from LA, the US Bank Tower is one of the best skyscrapers IMO. But the sign on the crown takes a lot of points away from it. Vdara falls into the category of towers that would be so much better without a sign (US Bank, Key Tower, and the like).

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 6:08 PM

Pics from 1pm yesterday, on my way back to work from lunch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations