HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 7:51 AM
Dance with the Devil

the city has been a bit quite about future skyscrapers.....
no news on future projects??????

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 3:48 PM

^ Dont worry Munda, if any skyscraper news happens the many talented slueths of SSP are on the job and ready to update!!

In general we are going to have a period of retrenchment in residential building. We do see some office highrises on the table (river point, 601 monroe). But this is an opportunity for other needs to be met. Having lived in Chicago during the boom of the 80's I see some correlations. while the office construciton had a big run up from early 80's to mid 90's (Pru2, 225 wacker, 333 wacker, scores more), hardly any rezy was built.

In this slow period the opportunity for hospitals, universities and government building is there to take advantage of lower demand for labor and materials. We now see that Lurie CMH is underway, eventually that will lead to the redev of the old Lincoln Park CMH compound, DePaul has to be salivating for that site. If Michael Reese sells their campus south McCormak Place then wont they need to rebuild a new hospital? In the loop we will certainly see another Dorm proposal surface soon. Also, there will be plenty of infill projects. Govt building on tap include a new Federal Center on S. State st.
Also repurposing will provide some interests, like the Hotel on So. LaSalle.

Will we see arqui, aqua2, W/A? maybe next decade, but GP3 has a good chance to be the next ground breaking skyscraper. we will have to look for our silver linings in new places.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
^ Dont worry Munda, if any skyscraper news happens the many talented slueths of SSP are on the job and ready to update!!

In general we are going to have a period of retrenchment in residential building. We do see some office highrises on the table (river point, 601 monroe). But this is an opportunity for other needs to be met. Having lived in Chicago during the boom of the 80's I see some correlations. while the office construciton had a big run up from early 80's to mid 90's (Pru2, 225 wacker, 333 wacker, scores more), hardly any rezy was built.

In this slow period the opportunity for hospitals, universities and government building is there to take advantage of lower demand for labor and materials. We now see that Lurie CMH is underway, eventually that will lead to the redev of the old Lincoln Park CMH compound, DePaul has to be salivating for that site. If Michael Reese sells their campus south McCormak Place then wont they need to rebuild a new hospital? In the loop we will certainly see another Dorm proposal surface soon. Also, there will be plenty of infill projects. Govt building on tap include a new Federal Center on S. State st.
Also repurposing will provide some interests, like the Hotel on So. LaSalle.

Will we see arqui, aqua2, W/A? maybe next decade, but GP3 has a good chance to be the next ground breaking skyscraper. we will have to look for our silver linings in new places.
So there are plans for an aqua 2? I never heard that before. And there are still going to be groundbreaking going on...just not 5 at once like we have been used to. Lincoln Park 2520 just started construction I hear, plus there are still many projects in the south loop!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 6:12 PM
BANNED

^^^ No, Aqua2 is completely fictional and only comes from people calling the site next to Aqua "Aqua II" even though there might not even be a highrise built there, let alone anything even remotely resembling Aqua...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
i think its interesting to study how DePaul expands to see how a university can grow in a tight urban context. They've done a pretty great job fitting into its environment. UC has built some amazing structures recently but it doesn't gel quite well overall.
You wanna see an example of how a university can grow in an urban context, Check out Loyola's campuses. The Water Tower Campus is probably one of the densest University Campuses in the world, if not the densest, and melds right in with the neighborhood to the point which, if there were not signs saying "Loyola University" all over the place, one would think it was just any other street in the area.

The Lakeshore Campus is even better and melts right into the neighborhood. That is partly due to the fact that they literally buy chunks of the neighborhood and turn them into dorms, which is a bit of a questionable neighborly practice, but it still makes for the most integrated urban campus possible.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
You wanna see an example of how a university can grow in an urban context, Check out Loyola's campuses. The Water Tower Campus is probably one of the densest University Campuses in the world, if not the densest, and melds right in with the neighborhood to the point which, if there were not signs saying "Loyola University" all over the place, one would think it was just any other street in the area.

The Lakeshore Campus is even better and melts right into the neighborhood. That is partly due to the fact that they literally buy chunks of the neighborhood and turn them into dorms, which is a bit of a questionable neighborly practice, but it still makes for the most integrated urban campus possible.
Yes, and the redevelopment of the Lakeshore campus proper that's happening right now is mind-blowing -- especially when Damen Hall comes down (i.e., the next phase). This is a very exciting time for Loyola.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 8:52 PM
Registered

^ What building is Damen Hall? Does anyone have photos?

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 9:41 PM

EDIT: Nevermind.

Last edited by SevenSevenThree; Aug 14, 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ What building is Damen Hall? Does anyone have photos?
If I'm not mistaken, it's this:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...97268221135745

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

More mid-century modern bites the dust Not a masterpiece, but not bad either.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Yeah, that's the one. The problems with it are basically two: (1) It violated the original campus master plan by creating a wall regrettably separating Loyola from what's become the southern extension of its campus (and a psychological wall between Loyola and the city via Sheridan Road) and (2) it's designed in such a way that from all but perpendicular viewing angles it looks like a windowless concrete block.

The building that will replace it fits with the original campus design, taking roughly an oblique angle framing or "holding" the southern edge of the new campus quadrangle. The shape of that quad, btw, is already discernible amid the construction and it will be a gem.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 11:46 PM
Registered

^ You're kidding, they're going to tear that whole thing down? All 10 stories of it? What an effing waste.

I suppose that Loyola's new PoMo-compromised library, blocking views of the lake and messing up its most historic buildings, really fits in with their original master plan too?

It's a B-grade building, but I'm with VivaL - it has merit and no sense in tearing it down. The architects were Graham, Anderson, Probst and White I believe.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:35 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPsy View Post
The building that will replace it fits with the original campus design, taking roughly an oblique angle framing or "holding" the southern edge of the new campus quadrangle. The shape of that quad, btw, is already discernible amid the construction and it will be a gem.
Is the building that will replace it going to be taller, denser? If not, then screw it all

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:36 AM
The City

Panel OKs TIF money for Little Village project
By Eddie Baeb, Aug. 14, 2008

(Crain’s) — A city panel signed off on a $24.8-million subsidy for a mixed-use development in the Little Village neighborhood that’s to include a grocery store, movie theater and apartments.

The Chicago Community Development Commission voted Tuesday to approve the tax-increment financing (TIF) grant for the $132.7-million project on a 16-acre site at 4400 W. 26th St., near the border of Cicero. The subsidy now must be approved by the City Council.

Little Village Re-development Project
26th Street and Kostner, Chicago, IL

The Little Village project is a 40 acre mixed-use development that includes residential, retail uses, and public areas.

The site is located at the western terminus of a 2-mile stretch of 26th Street, which is the commercial heart of the Latino community in Little Village and one of the most vibrant and dense communities in the Midwest. It generates the second highest sales tax revenue in the City of Chicago.

The development will consist of a neighborhood shopping center and several hundred new residential units, with a mix of affordability and density, along with open space amenities. The shopping center will feature striking architectural appointments, as well as plaza open space for neighborhood shoppers and community events.

Demographics
Population: 54,368 within a 1-mile radius.
Average Household Income: $45,373

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 2:09 AM
Chaos Machine

Pretty impressive development regardless of the actual architecture. The site is currently a giant gaping hole in the urban fabric. Seems like it will blend in fairly well with the existing density, and adds needed retail. Hopefully a trend continues in this area of filling in the giant vacant/shittily maintained sites along the train tracks there.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 3:02 AM

^Yeah, I think overall this is a positive development. It fills in a very large chunk of deadness. Obviously the retail layout isn't ideal, but it's not dreadful either. Looks like all of the retail can be accessed without having to navigate walking through a parking lot. Cross the tracks to the west and Cicero Ave is already a big box, six-lane arterial hell... even that huge two screen drive-in movie theater is set to become a Walmart, last I heard So this development is a pretty decent buffer and transition zone between the two development patterns.

My worry though, is if the new retail draws retail traffic from the main drag along 26th (one of the coolest commercial districts in the country) and weakens sales and leasing. Hopefully the new residences also just add more buying power to account for the increase in retail sales as well, and hopefully the new development just further enhances the corridor as one for destination shopping.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 3:09 AM
The City

^ Make sure you guys click the link of the Crains article (it's much longer than what I posted). They will be renovating an old factory to include ground level retail, around 70 apts, and office space. And those 4 buildings labeled B, C, D, and E along with the blocks of homes depicted don't seem to be a part of the project receiving TIF funds, at least at this point.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
My worry though, is if the new retail draws retail traffic from the main drag along 26th (one of the coolest commercial districts in the country) and weakens sales and leasing.
Do you think that's a concern given the likely price differences between this new space and existing space on 26th? I don't know of many chains that would take this new space that would compete directly with a lot of the stuff that's on 26th. The state of the retail there seems pretty healthy and stable.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ In what way is it in U of C's interests to keep Hyde Park as "boring and lifeless as possible"? That's absurd, what evidence do you have of that?
What Viva said. There's no doubt that that was exactly the policy starting in the urban renewal days; the question is to what extent and in what ways that is changing within the university administration. The University certainly makes a lot more noise now about making Hyde Park a livable community, and it puts a lot of effort into getting faculty and staff to live in or around the neighborhood (including cash incentives).

But the University's vision of the future of the neighborhood might be different from yours, and it's certainly different from mine. For example, redevelopment of Harper Court threatens a lot of businesses (23 were there when the U bought it) that mostly cater to black Hyde Parkers and students, two groups the University has never given a damn about, since students (at least undergrads) are pretty much a captive audience that long ago learned to live with Hyde Park's dullness and incorporate it as part of campus culture, and the black population can give the administration a fuzzy feeling of inclusiveness but otherwise isn't really that important to it. Note that the University is NOT talking about new developments on actual vacant space like the McMobil site, St. Stephen's, 53rd and Cornell, etc.--it's targeting the center of affordable retail and business in Hyde Park. And when Harper Court goes, those businesses are going to leave the neighborhood or disappear, because there's certainly nowhere that cheap in Hyde Park.

But in the University's language, "cheap" equates to "failed" or "scary." I think the University's new vision for Hyde Park is an upper-income neighborhood that is safe and pleasant enough for faculty and well-paid staff, but not too alive with activity, and certainly nothing that draws too much interest from outside Hyde Park.

Of course, we are being asked to believe that the University has some kind of ability to make the Harper Court development happen despite the obvious failure of its Harper Theatre project right next door. Kind of ironic that they're trying to rescue us from the "blighted" Court when their own project is sitting empty.

Last edited by Abner; Aug 15, 2008 at 7:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 2:00 PM
The City

^ I would argue that the University is in no way obliged to maintain businesses that "attract African Americans". If the University wants to build something that attracts retailers who charge higher prices, then let it be so.

It's a generalization to assume that the black population won't shop somewhere because of higher prices. Chicago and particularly Hyde Park has a very large middle and upper class African American population that has many times made it known that they'd like to see more of such businesses in their neighborhoods.

On another note, does anybody see a good opportunity for U of C to build a large hotel on Garfield west of Washington Park, near the Green Line stop? It seems perfect: easy access to downtown, easy access to the University, and (of course) potential access to the Olympic opening ceremonies. Now if we can just get that belligerent Pat Dowell to shut her trap up so that the University & Daley Administration can get something productive built at this site..

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 2:10 PM
Urbane observer

A Residence Inn next to the hospital might make some sense, but a hotel at 55th/Indiana is a bit, um, visionary. There's not even any (market-driven) hotels near McCormick Place.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 2:18 PM
The City

^ Isn't that because occupancy in hotels very near McCormick would depend entirely on whether there is a convention in town or not?

The University, on the other hand, is perpetually present and obviously needs a hotel nearby. I realize this area isn't the best, but if the University is able to develop other lots nearby, coupled with the pie-in-the-sky Olympics dream, things could change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development