HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 1:59 PM

I actually wanted Tower 3 built, but now....it can wait.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 1:59 PM

just as i thought it couldnt get any more conservative in design...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 2:17 PM

It's not THAT bad. Certainly a downgrade, although it's an office building too. I don't know what people were expecting. The orginal Twin Towers weren't exactly charmers either.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
It's not THAT bad. Certainly a downgrade, although it's an office building too. I don't know what people were expecting. The orginal Twin Towers weren't exactly charmers either.
The Twin Towers are incomparable. They were absolutely massive. Massive.

I don't mind this move as much if UBS or another tenant had expressed a desire for it to be removed so they could have better views. It's whatever. Just build it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 2:47 PM

The WTC site and Silverstein's website have different renderings, with the WTC site showing no X bracing, with Silverstein's still showing the X bracing.

So i sent an email to Silverstein asking which renderings reflect the most current state of tower 3. I'll post the response when I hear back.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 3:49 PM

Ugh. I didn't expect anything else from cheap tacky NYC developers. I actually was expecting watering down of the buildings, so it's not a surprise at all. Another bland box in NYC. YAY!!!

I don't even care about this tower anymore. I wish focus was redirected at building tower 2 which is much better than this now boring piece of garbage. It's amazing how a building can go from stunning to crap so quickly.

Last edited by 599GTO; Jun 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 3:59 PM

@Yankeesfan and Fishman respectively;

Do you not find it strange that

A. The pic of the redesign has been taken down by Wiki

maybe because

B. Silverstein's website has said (and still says) boo about this

and

C (my observation). There is still no news of this on the TWC site, nor have we seen any updated pics from said site.

Till I see overwhelming proof that these changes are *not* a vicious joke, i.e. confirmation from the two sites aforementioned plus one or two additional postings here from aggrieved forumers who've sought and obtained legit answers, I officially declare radioactive bullshit on this.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 4:01 PM

What are you talking about? The new renders are from http://www.wtc.com/ so we certainly have seen updated pictures from that site.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 4:02 PM

The X bracing looked like part of the structure before. Those new things look like some sort of decorative add-ons a commitee decided to slap onto the building as a compromise.
That was one of the greatest things about the original twins. The honesty and elegance of their structure. They weren't some sort of exercise in the art of ugly.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
What are you talking about? The new renders are from http://www.wtc.com/ so we certainly have seen updated pictures from that site.
I went specifically to the 175G section of the site and they show the two pics of the X'ed out building plus a night shot, i.e. the same ones we see here. All well and good I suppose.
But as I said, I want to see commentary from the people on that site who are actually responsible for updating newsfeeds. I haven't seen anything of that sort...and the fact that we haven't yet seems all the more curious to me as time goes by...and I'm not willing to give this site a free pass on the strength of renderings alone.

Any changes in a skyscraper's design, proposed or otherwise, are usually shown in accompaniment with the article that reports on them. Such was the case when they remodeled 175G's base to accommodate the trading floors. Back then we had a clear-cut case in which both story and supporting illustration were on the same figurative page.

Not so here. If anything, the story about the X braces being scrapped really should've come first; this would take less time to make viral than *any* rendering. There just seems to me a disturbing lack of coordination on the journalistic side.

Last edited by JayPro; Jun 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 5:19 PM
Grand is Golden!

This is a shame. Tower 3 lost it's uniqueness to the other towers. This is obviously Silverstein's first bump on the road.

Oh and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO
I don't even care about this tower anymore. I wish focus was redirected at building tower 2 which is much better than this now boring piece of garbage. It's amazing how a building can go from stunning to crap so quickly.
Careful what you wish for, Tower 2's diamonds might be next on the removal list. Don't wanna sound like I'm getting ahead of myself, but with these "tacky NYC developers", who knows what could happen next.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loqy Lion View Post
The Twin Towers are incomparable. They were absolutely massive. Massive.
That had nothing to do with the details, these towers are supposed to be massive too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect
This is a shame. Tower 3 lost it's uniqueness to the other towers. This is obviously Silverstein's first bump on the road.
There's no money buddy! They either build it or they don't!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 6:44 PM
Paramoderator

Wow, you guys sure are fickle. First, you complain about how Tower 3 doesn't look like any of the other towers, and is too ornate. Now you complain about how it looks like all the other towers, and is plain and dull. Personally, I don't mind the redesign. They still have the X bracing, it just isn't as prevalent. Plus, it is still a crazy tall tower. Any other city in the world would be happy to have it just for that reason, so you guys should still be happy.

Last edited by Illithid Dude; Jun 23, 2011 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Wow, you guys sure are fickle. First, you complain about how Tower 3 doesn't look like any of the other towers, and is to ornate. Now you complain about how it looks like all the other towers, and is plain and dull. Personally, I don't mind the redesign. They still have the X bracing, it just isn't as prevalent. Plus, it is still a crazy tall tower. Any other city in the world would be happy to have it just for that reason, so you guys should still be happy.
My thoughts to a T. The bracing is still there while reduced in size. When this big daddy is built noone will be whining about it anymore.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 7:39 PM

Hmm well, after A while I can see why they did it. A: it's cheaper and B: It blends in more with the other buildings. Continuity, I guess? But still, I want the Xs back. I like how it broke up the flow of design a bit, but hey. I guess smooth is better in the long run .

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 7:39 PM

I'll try and reserve my judgements until we see some more detailed renders of the redesign, and maybe an official statement from Silverstein or PA, I'm going to cling to ever last bit of hope that this isn't happening.

I could look through and find my post, but this has always been my favorite of the new buildings, now the side parts that do have braces just look like construction elevators.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
My thoughts to a T. The bracing is still there while reduced in size. When this big daddy is built noone will be whining about it anymore.
Your sentiments are heartily seconded by this member.

Only thing I could possibly nitpick with here is the "Z" bracings on the setbacks, if that what was what you (TonyO) were referring to. I must say that looking at the building directly east- or westward, there exists now somewhat of a visual discontinuity that the elimination of the larger bracings has created.

Last edited by JayPro; Jun 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM. Reason: proofreading for clarity

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:10 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post

Oh and:

Careful what you wish for, Tower 2's diamonds might be next on the removal list. Don't wanna sound like I'm getting ahead of myself, but with these "tacky NYC developers", who knows what could happen next.
Larry really wants to build this cheaply. I can't say I blame him. The economy isn't in a good shape in the recent years. It's a wonder that America gets any supertalls at all, in these troubling times
America and New York deserve to have twin towers again! I am boldly resisting the twin towers taboo enforcers - a.k.a. the bullies who harass folks on this forum just because they have different opinions than these bullies do!
Recipe for the best syrup in the world:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=191318

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...9ubs-popup.jpg

A picture of the world's largest trading floor currently in Stanford.
Holly Cow!!!! THAT IS HUGE!!!!!!! Man, I can't belive how much stuff & people are in that space. This is an amazing photo!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:35 PM

It's the modern factory floor, except that all they're making is money (or trying to anyway).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive