HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 7:35 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
The only cars that would match that plate would be cars in red or black. Looks so out of line in silver/white/yellow/green etc
Black was the one I had in mind

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 6:40 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

I really don't like the personalized plates we have now:

Source

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroXpress View Post
I really don't like the personalized plates we have now:

Source
Nor do I. They turn 31 this December. 6 years older than the little wavy flag plates we are currently using. A little outdated now, its not 1979 anymore.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 4:13 AM

They used to change the colour every year until they went to the stickers at the bottom, in the mid 60's I seem to remember. The 1958 BC Centennial one was particularly cool. It was gold coloured, may even have had Century Sam on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Before the 80's blue plates, there were 70's white plates... and I'm sure there were others before that.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Just seen an ###-XAA series plate, and figured that within the year, a new set of plate coding will come out. I was issued an LHL plate in January 2009, and now we are in the X's.

Therefore, I am curious as to what ICBC's plan will be in the future when the next series plates run out. It could be AAAA-000 like Ontario, or AAA-0000 like Quebec. I think those are the only two options.

And wouldn't it be neat if the Olympic type plates became the main ones? I find the current ones somewhat bland, especially since they've been present since 1985. Guess we'll see what happens.
You called it..

ICBC: Province running out of six-character licence plate numbers
Quote:
NORTH VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - ICBC says the province is quickly running out of licence plate combinations, but they've come up with a solution. And you don't have to know your A-B-C's (or 1-2-3's) to figure it out. You can expect to see changes to B.C. plates rolled out over the next few years.

With the amount of new plates being issued, Adam Grossman with ICBC expects there won't be any more "three letter, three number" combinations by 2013. After much research, a solution has been found, but plates will still be six characters. "Typically where we see three letters, followed by three numbers--we're actually going to be seeing a sequence of two letters and a number, followed by two numbers and a letter."

Grossman says ICBC looked at moving to seven character combinations like Ontario and Alberta, but found it would be a costly switch, and would interfere with administrative systems for brokers that are built for the six character system.

Seven character combinations would also require smaller numbers and letters, making plates harder for police to read.
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...-plate-numbers

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 1:36 PM
loafing in lotusland

Interesting. This way, they won't have to worry about letters being confused by numbers ( think automated tolling systems )

Actually, do they use "O" right now? I would imagine they wouldn't use it. That along with "I"

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 2:50 PM
HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
You called it..

ICBC: Province running out of six-character licence plate numbers

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...-plate-numbers
That is CLEVER. Never thought about that.
But I wonder whether they'll change the plate design. The current one looks really bland. The background for the Olympic plates looks really good (without the inukshuk logo perhaps)?

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
That is CLEVER. Never thought about that.
But I wonder whether they'll change the plate design. The current one looks really bland. The background for the Olympic plates looks really good (without the inukshuk logo perhaps)?
I think the plate design might be updated, we'll see - even if it's that flag replaced with the sunrise logo, that would look better I think.

One thing I noticed is that the 123-ABC series only began in 2001, and lasted 10 years. Going by that rate, I think that within 25 years, the new coding AB1-23C will run out, including if they go 12A-BC3 after that. The amount of combinations are the exact same as the present system (it is still 3 letters and 3 numbers), and thinking that 10 years exhausted half of the existing system (although I feel like ICBC skips alot of combinations), the present growth will accelerate the new plate distribution and they'll be scratching their heads in the future soon than they know it.

Ontario began doing the ABCD-123 codes in 1997, and they are still within the B***-123 codes 13 years later, although I believe they are coming close to the C*** within the next several years. Just so many more combinations are there - I don't personally care, but that gives you likely 50-75 years of combinations, even with a high growth rate.

Heck you can personalize you plate in Ontario up to 8-characters as well.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:17 PM
scared of rain

You can't dispute the facts, but I am amazed that they ran out of combinations.

With 26 letters in the alphabet they should have over 15,000,000 combinations (AAA-000 = 26x26x26 x 10x10x10 =17,576,000)

They must have excluded a lot of combinations.

(More than the obvious ASS-666 or FUK-069 and the like )

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:25 PM

I notice that the smaller year sticker is turning into a fail thanks to a lot of morons out there who don't put the new sticker over the old...

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:26 PM

Actually, I have seen FUK license plates, and quite recently, too. I am pretty sure I saw ASS on the previous license plate generation, too.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 5:04 PM
loafing in lotusland

What's wrong with ASS ?

source

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 6:16 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Interesting concept, but I wonder whats next? License plate combos that look like Postal Codes (A1A-1A1)?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 6:24 PM

Why not? There's no reason for the numbers and letters to be restricted to any particular location in the sequence. We can hold off on adding a 7th digit for a long time this way. In fact, we get more unique license plates this way than if we went to AAAA-000.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Therefore, I am curious as to what ICBC's plan will be in the future when the next series plates run out. It could be AAAA-000 like Ontario, or AAA-0000 like Quebec. I think those are the only two options.
Quebec started with A00-AAA plates last year, they are not doing AAA-0000.

As for some interesting letter combinations, I see a lot of plates ending in "WTF" around my place.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Quebec started with A00-AAA plates last year, they are not doing AAA-0000.

As for some interesting letter combinations, I see a lot of plates ending in "WTF" around my place.
Fair enough, since you are from Quebec, I will believe you. However, can you explain this license plate then?

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 7:21 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Maybe he has a ham radio!

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTiger View Post
You can't dispute the facts, but I am amazed that they ran out of combinations.

With 26 letters in the alphabet they should have over 15,000,000 combinations (AAA-000 = 26x26x26 x 10x10x10 =17,576,000)

They must have excluded a lot of combinations.

(More than the obvious ASS-666 or FUK-069 and the like )
What you don't know is that the government only uses 20 of the 26 letters available for the license plates in BC.
A B C D E F G H J K L M N P R S T V W X are used while I O Q U Y Z are not.

The Letters are also used, in a way, as number substitutes. For example, when you have AAA-000 and it reaches AAA-999, It will become AAB-000 and continue in that sequence all the way to AAK-999. When it reaches AAK-999, the next plate is ABA-000. Might be a little confusing. Just imagine A being 0, B being 1, etc.

When a combination has L's in it when it starts, it continues in similar sequence along the second half of the fractured alphabet system they use. For example: LAA-000 will go through sequence like AAA-000. The 100000th plate would be LKK-999 and the next would be MAA-000. Just a little info-lesson.

Also, as I previously said about unused letters, FUK is unfortunately impossible.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 8:50 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
What you don't know is that the government only uses 20 of the 26 letters available for the license plates in BC.
A B C D E F G H J K L M N P R S T V W X are used while I O Q U Y Z are not.

The Letters are also used, in a way, as number substitutes. For example, when you have AAA-000 and it reaches AAA-999, It will become AAB-000 and continue in that sequence all the way to AAK-999. When it reaches AAK-999, the next plate is ABA-000. Might be a little confusing. Just imagine A being 0, B being 1, etc.
Or in mathematical terms... they use a base30 system.
I can understand why I O Q U aren't used ( easily confused with 1, 0 and V. I can see a case for "Z" which could look like a "2" but why "Y"?

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Or in mathematical terms... they use a base30 system.
I can understand why I O Q U aren't used ( easily confused with 1, 0 and V. I can see a case for "Z" which could look like a "2" but why "Y"?
Because then they have only 20 letters. that's the only reason I can think of. Having "Y" would mean 21.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure