HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
And as for the food carts, it just goes to show the kinds of things that can happen when you remove the shackles of overbearing bylaws. Remember, those food carts would not have been allowed a few years ago.
The food carts system is still heavily over-regulated. The COV is on pace to add as many carts in five years as Portland added in 2010 alone.

I say open up the process and let the market decide which carts succeed and which fail.

I don't need the COV to force their food preferences on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Guess it depends on which circles you're in, but I concur Vancouver is loaded with small top notch independents. One of the best places to learn about them is Scout Magazine. There are a few events that aren't talked about even on the local foodie blogs such as warehouse iron chef style battles featuring some of Vancouver's top chefs. There are even a few u/g restaurants that consist of showing up at someones house and eating whatever they've arranged and paying them a prixe fixe for the privilege. Vancouver is pretty cool as far as the food scene is concerned.
I agree that Vancouver has lots of good independent restaurants, especially when you throw Asian restaurants in the mix. My concern though, is that a lot of discretionary spending is soaked up by the Earls/Cactus/Joeys/Milestones of the city which I wish was spread around to the independents instead. One doesn't have to look far from the massive rooms that Glowbal Group (Black + Blue, Coast) and Cactus Club have opened in the past few years.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post
The food carts system is still heavily over-regulated. The COV is on pace to add as many carts in five years as Portland added in 2010 alone.

I say open up the process and let the market decide which carts succeed and which fail.

I don't need the COV to force their food preferences on me.
I agree the process was a little slow to get going, but the results as they are now are pretty good. There are some good places and the streets aren't overcrowded.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:32 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Thanks Giallo for posting those! Can't believe I've never even heard of a couple of those places! Great to see some unique independent restaurants popping up in the city.

And as for the food carts, it just goes to show the kinds of things that can happen when you remove the shackles of overbearing bylaws. Remember, those food carts would not have been allowed a few years ago.
No problem.

I've become a bit of a food nerd (living in Asia, and being from Vancouver will do that to you), so I'm actively looking for new places to try when I return home. I too haven't eaten at a couple of these places (Jethro's and Red Wagon), but, man, do they look good. The only problem is living so far away at the moment. It looks like I'll be relocating to Los Angeles (another foodie paradise) at the end of the year, so it'll only be a two hour flight home rather than the 10-12 hour flight I currently have to endure.

Food pictures are always welcome, guys. If any of you feel so inclined, post 'em!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 3:26 AM

If anyone likes Peaceful they would probably also like Beijing Noodle House in Richmond. Expect authentic Chinese quality with regards to Food/Service

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 1:43 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Nu unofficially opened yesterday in the old So.Cial/Mcleans Deli space in Gasstown. Food was good and priced well even at reg prices, they were still working out kinks but they were charging less then full price to make up for it. Think it'll be much more successful then it's predecessor.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:03 PM

As mentioned on another thread, Aki is moving from the thurlow and alberni parkade to pender west of bute. Their street sign is already up.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:13 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Nu unofficially opened yesterday in the old So.Cial/Mcleans Deli space in Gasstown. Food was good and priced well even at reg prices, they were still working out kinks but they were charging less then full price to make up for it. Think it'll be much more successful then it's predecessor.
Nu as in the Greek restau that had a physical space, started a food cart, then closed their physical location?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 5:04 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Same Nu, beleive they have another physical location as well.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 5:06 PM

there is a NU on robson street next to beard papa

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 6:44 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Think we've heard rumours about this already, seems to be moving along. Carl Jrs is looking at opening up between 25-35 locations across the lower mainland. Could possibly see the first open by this Fall.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 7:19 PM
Vancouver User

Latitude on Main St closed for a couple days early this week and has re-opened as El Caminos.

Expanded menu includes Mexican-style subs and draught beer.

Still the Cascade group behind it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 7:36 PM

Don guacamole's on robson has closed.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Think we've heard rumours about this already, seems to be moving along. Carl Jrs is looking at opening up between 25-35 locations across the lower mainland. Could possibly see the first open by this Fall.
yeah that's an insane amount, the franchisee has big plans - I don't think portland has more than 10

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 6:40 AM

Quote:
looks like the first one is set for Chilliwack

Quote:
Carl's Jr. is excited to announce the opening of our new restaurant in CHILLIWACK, BC.
http://fraservalley.kijiji.ca/c-jobs...AdIdZ344629384

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 6:32 PM

seems like its opening in some new development called Eagle Landing, which has a walmart, galaxy theatres in it - and a five guys burgers

could be a burger war haha

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 10:18 PM

Have we forgotten the promises made by Krispy Kreme Donuts when they opened up here? They didn't last very long.

The established burger joints won't make it easy for CarlsJr, so 'get em while they're hot'.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 2:17 AM

krispy kreme is still here in delta - i go there often when i am passing by, its quite busy - just a couple weeks ago they were selling boxes of the donuts on cambie street outside the canadian tire, for fundraising - they do a lot of that stuff in the lower mainland

unfortunately the media reported all the canadian outlets shut down - in reality the ontario outlets shut down, the BC operations are owned by the same company that owns wa state and alaska

i've heard they have started to reopen in ontario with another franchise operator

the company itself went through that really bad press just as they were starting a rapid expansion and all those plans fell through and we never got the other outlets here because of the parent company lying about profits or something - there was some scandal

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:27 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
seems like its opening in some new development called Eagle Landing, which has a walmart, galaxy theatres in it - and a five guys burgers

could be a burger war haha
location would be here in the middle >> http://www.globalairphotos.com/large...ty/2011/0107/2

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 7:00 AM
sparky

Din Tai Fung coming to Vancouver? Anyone confirm? Location?

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 6:27 PM

jollibee is opening in toronto

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining