HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 1:17 PM
Witty comment fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1 View Post
Mandell, hiijakd and Henderson are going full steam with loft development! It's definitely the right time. I hope they find more available buildings that will work. If not, build some.

The Cottage Hill area along Bell Street across from Overlook Park would be perfect. Either a mid or high-rise condo building at the old Land & Sea boat sales property in the Cottage Hill area would offer beautiful views of the river and downtown. (I think that hill offers the most beautiful view in the city.)

And what about the Aronov building on Court St. near Capitol Towers? Does anyone think that it could make a nice condo/apt. building one day, sort of like Henderson is doing with the old Hilltop Arms?
I think downtown is saturated with 'luxury' lofts for the time being, with Montgomery Fair coming online, and Hilltop Arms waiting in the wings. Hopefully, the market will grow, though.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio View Post
I think downtown is saturated with 'luxury' lofts for the time being, with Montgomery Fair coming online, and Hilltop Arms waiting in the wings. Hopefully, the market will grow, though.
I hope they find (build) more buildings, not particularly for more luxury lofts, but for other price ranges that will get an even larger response.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 2:38 PM

click the link for the video

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=8650007

Revitalization Well Underway In Downtown Montgomery

Posted: July 9, 2008 04:54 PM CDT

Updated: July 9, 2008 07:14 PM CDT

The Biscuits stadium is a good example of growth downtown.

A new building here, another one renovated, increasing signs of new life in downtown Montgomery.

"I could point to any building in a 5 block radius and tell you there's something going on right now," said Jerome Moore of Moore Company Realty.

Jerome Moore should know. His family has been in the commercial real estate business for more than a hundred years.

"Revitalization is underway," Moore said.

And Moore is not alone.

"The first downtown lofts were built in 2005," said Beau Daniel of Foshee Management Company.

Daniel works for the property management company that manages most of the loft apartments in downtown. What used to be Montgomery Fair, a long time department store on Monroe Street, is now weeks away from becoming the home of 23 loft apartments and loft condos.

"It's sort of like the perfect storm. Biscuits stadium and the new hotel," Daniel said.

Two main reasons why more and more people it seems are either taking a chance on a new business or simply downsizing. They're from all walks of life. Another reason?

"The real effect of high gas prices is everybody wants to live, work and play in this environment. It's the real deal," said Moore.

Commercial real estate broker Jerry Wills is the first to admit he didn't think bringing back downtown could be done. A 'doubting Thomas' in the beginning.

"Downtowns were decaying all across the country," said Wills.

Now he's a convert. Riverwalk Stadium changed his mind as well as a friend, a developer who bought a building in the Alleyway and is in the process of turning it into a restaurant.

"That told me this is going to make it," said Wills.

Clearly though some areas of town still have a way to go, a few stores are still locked down and shuttered but just as clear the renovation engine is moving ahead.

If you were to include Riverwalk Stadium and the Renaissance Hotel, the total investments in downtown so far exceeds $200 million, money that has slowly brought downtown back into focus, one block at a time.

Reporter: Bryan Henry

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:36 PM
Midtown Montgomery

^^Excellent article.

I can't wait til I can afford Downtown living!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 5:11 PM

just so everyone knows--

despite my avatar, I'm not here representing the Old Cloverdale Association

I do live there (and am a member) and support what all they do for my neighborhood ... but I'm not an officer in the OCA or anything

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:40 PM

click the link for the video

More Roundabouts Coming

Posted: July 10, 2008 07:48 PM CDT

Updated: July 10, 2008 08:37 PM CDT

http://www.wsfa.com/global/story.asp?s=8657889

They're in cities all over the world from Paris to Beijing and Montgomery and the roundabouts look like they are here to stay. Experts say they cut down on accidents and fatalities and save energy and money too.

However, if you've never seen one before it may take some getting use to and a couple of the drivers said they're not used to it yet. "It's just different. You're not sure which way to go. But do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing? I think it's going to be good. You just got to get use to it." Another said, "You just follow the arrows is what I do. Follow the arrows around."

First, you yield and then go around and around. Instead of wasting gas and energy and time waiting at a red light, the traffic here keeps moving and at a much slower pace. Plus, the Mayor's Executive Assistant, Jeff Downes, says the roundabout is prettier. "You don't have the wires and power wires hanging across the intersection. You can dress them up with landscaping and they're more efficient."

And, there are drivers who agree with Downes. "I like roundabouts. I think they work well as long as everybody works together."

But, there are problems. Big trucks and buses can't maneuver the one lane at one of the roundabouts as easily as cars. Downes has a solution for that. "You can see there are roll-up curves that allow the wheels of a vehicle to mount the side the concrete apron in the area. So, that's OK for them to do that? It's designed for that way. You don't have your standard curb and gutter where it's keeping wheels from going up."

Soon, there will the three roundabouts downtown. One is under construction near the capitol at Washington and Bainbridge. The other is at the fountain at Court Square and there's one near the State House at Ripley and Washington. And, a fourth driver there had a different opinion about the roundabout. "If it was a bigger area I could see it, but I really don't like it."

Downes is confident the concept will grow on motorists. "Change is difficult. We live in Montgomery, Alabama and we live in the south. Change is difficult for people, but I think when it's all said and done, I think everybody will recognize this is a safer more economical and efficient way to drive through downtown Montgomery."

And, there will be a fourth roundabout in the Cottage Hills area at Five Points. Construction on that one begins in about four months.

The city says the cost of a roundabout is about $20,000. The cost of a traffic light is around $100,000 - plus, about 3-thousand dollars a year for maintenance on each traffic signal.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:44 PM

so, what's being built at the corner of Hilliard and Adams?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:53 PM

Here's a really nice report from WSFA.

A Look At Living In Downtown Montgomery; Is It Worth The Rent?

We begin our story on the second floor of what used to be Montgomery Fair, a long time department store on 22 Monroe Street. A second floor apartment, still under construction but just rented out to a gentleman who's going to pay $660 a month for 560 square feet.

"It truly has a loft feel. 20 foot ceilings, an open kitchen," said Beau Daniel of Foshee Management Company that will manage the property.

In essence one huge room with a bedroom. The apartment fronting Monroe Street clearly has a better view but at a higher price; $925 a month, 785 square feet of living space. The rent includes the parking which is typically in the back of the loft apartments. So is it worth the money?

"Downtown living is not for everyone. I'll be the first to admit that. They give up on conveniences like a neighborhood grocery store but a lot of people are very busy. They have a lot of spare time on weekends and they don't have to worry about maintenance," said Daniel.

The loft apartments are 3 weeks away from being finished and they'll look something like the completed lofts at 246 North Court Street.

"Here we have concrete flooring, exposed bricks and granite counter tops," Daniel said.

While the 50 loft apartments in downtown Montgomery all offer charm and simple living, we found one loft that offers something a little more and we found it right back where we started at 22 Monroe Street.

"This is an old vault," said Daniel.

A touch of the past, Montgomery Fair's old vault. The loft with the vault? $885 a month.

"You walk right through and it's all part of the room in the same loft apartment," said Daniel.

A combination of charm and history. And speaking of history, someone famous worked at the Montgomery Fair; Rosa Parks, employed as a seamstress.

Daniel, meantime, is predicting there will be a neighborhood grocery store not far from the old department store within 18 months.

http://www.wsfa.com

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCloverdale View Post
so, what's being built at the corner of Hilliard and Adams?
I spoke with the manager of the Regions Branch on Adams Avenue (adjacent to this location) and she said it is supposed to be a coffee/sandwich shop or something along those lines. She did not know anything further...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 1:58 PM
Roll Tide

Quote:
I also want to know what's the latest on the Cloverdale development that was suppose to be built in front of the old Cloverdale Jr. High school? Did the economy kill it?
That project is probably dead. There was opposition from some Cloverdale residents (mostly older types I believe), and they may have killed it. Maybe someone here knows the details. City Loft Corp. was to have been involved, but they've moved on to Hampstead.
"It's no longer the 'enviro crazies who are questioning sprawl. It's God-fearing, red-meat-eating, conservative Republican county executives and town supervisors who are saying, 'Wait a minute. We can't afford this anymore.' '' - Robert Yaro

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatBaman View Post
That project is probably dead. There was opposition from some Cloverdale residents (mostly older types I believe), and they may have killed it. Maybe someone here knows the details. City Loft Corp. was to have been involved, but they've moved on to Hampstead.
Reference Post 3174

Back around the time this was being presented to the planning commission, there were a couple of meetings held at Huntingdon College where residents, etc. were able to ask questions concerning this project. As you mentioned, there were lots of questions and (at the time) the developers did not have a lot of information (graphics, layouts, etc.) to share with those in attendance.

Lots of people were concerned if this proposed development was the right "fit" for that intersection and how this work would obscure parts of the original Cloverdale Junior High School. There were thoughts and concerns from many types, not just the older ones. Initial plans were that a significant amount of green space was going to be sacrificed and that was not well received.

As I mentioned back in Post 3174, this development was always planned for a little further down the road. Not much has been said lately, so maybe the economy is taking a toll on this or even killed it. Time will tell...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 9:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Dawn Hathcock from the COC mentioned in a recent interview about downtown development that they are getting inquiries from companies about possibility moving their headquarters downtown.

Any ideas who? Who would you like to see?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 9:58 PM
Roll Tide

^^ Thanks for the info, OCA REP. I don't know how I missed your first post on the subject, but the additional background is much appreciated.
"It's no longer the 'enviro crazies who are questioning sprawl. It's God-fearing, red-meat-eating, conservative Republican county executives and town supervisors who are saying, 'Wait a minute. We can't afford this anymore.' '' - Robert Yaro

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 3:03 PM

man, does this Haywood Whichard guy seem like a jerk or what?!

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...NTPAGECAROUSEL

July 15, 2008

Land speculator has no plan to develop Montgomery Mall site

By Cosby Woodruff
cwoodruff@gannett.com

The owner of Montgomery Mall said he bought it for the land value and has no immediate plans to renovate the property as a mall.

Haywood Whichard, who owns Whichard Real Estate of Raleigh, N.C., said he is willing to sit on the property for a decade to make the profit he believes he can make on an eventual land sale. Already, he said the land is worth almost twice the $4.4 million he paid for the mall last year.

Whichard, who purchased the mall through Venture 1 of Dothan, didn't rule out Montgomery Mall returning as a mall. He said he would welcome new tenants if they came in bunches, but he isn't willing to recruit small tenants one at a time.

"If we could rent out enough stores to make it profitable, I would be happy to open it back up," said Whichard, during an exclusive interview with the Montgomery Advertiser. "We want to do what makes money."

But bringing the mall back isn't a priority, he said. Whichard said doing nothing -- other than listing it with brokers -- is a very real possibility.

Whichard described himself in terms of a land speculator, saying he is not a mall operator and certainly not a developer.

Asked about the steady stream of tenants leaving the mall, he was dispassionate.

"We weren't making enough on rent to pay our expenses, so how do you expect me to feel about them?" he said. "If all of the tenants are gone, that doesn't bother us."

Steve & Barry's University Sportswear -- now the mall's lone anchor tenant -- recently declared bankruptcy and announced it will determine the fate of individual stores later in the bankruptcy process.

Asked about the possibility of the store leaving, Whichard said, "I don't care if they do."

His words brought an anguished response from Montgomery City Hall.

Jeff Downes, executive assistant to Mayor Bobby Bright, said an empty Montgomery Mall would be of no benefit to the city.

"That would be very discouraging," he said when told of Whichard's promise to sit on the property for a decade if that's what it took to get the right deal.

Downes said unless the mall fell into disrepair and became more than just an eyesore, the city is powerless to force Whichard to develop it.

"There is very little we can do," he said. "It is private property, and as long as there are no code violations, we can't make him do anything with it."

But the mall owners could be in trouble if they remain in violation of another regulation -- the one that requires them to pay property taxes.

Whichard's group didn't pay its property taxes last year, and Montgomery businessman Richard E. Hanan paid about $25,000 to purchase the tax lien in May.

Angela Whichard, who is married to Haywood Whichard, paid the taxes on part of the mall, but left most of the taxes in arrears.

Hayword Whichard said he and other investors will redeem the tax lien against the property at their convenience. He said they simply decided not to pay the taxes when they were due.

If Whichard doesn't redeem the property, by paying the back taxes plus 12 percent annual interest, within two years, Hanan will own the property.

But Whichard said there is no chance of that happening.

"Of course we are going to redeem it," he said. "You don't think we are going to let it go for that little bit of money."

He dismissed Hanan, saying he wasn't a serious buyer for the mall.

"Why should I return his calls, he can't buy this," Whichard said.

Attempts to reach Hanan on Monday were unsuccessful.

Downes said Montgomery officials will try to create incentives for others to buy and redevelop the mall, but Whichard said there is little chance of that happening.

Whichard said he didn't consider any local bidder to be a serious contender to purchase the mall.

"We won't sell it to anybody in Montgomery," he said. He clarified that by saying they would sell it to anyone with money to buy it, but he said he didn't think he would find anyone locally to fit that bill.

He also dismissed comments that an empty mall has no value. He said the Boulevard and Troy Highway bring thousands of cars past the property each day, and that alone gives it value.

"You just don't find that big of a piece of property in that kind of high-traffic spot," he said. "It may take a while, but we will find a buyer.

"Those pockets, they always come back. We don't care whether we open it or not."

Whichard didn't sound like he was overly concerned with the mall's condition.

He said the building suffered wind damage in May and that he is negotiating a settlement with his insurance company.

Whichard was non-committal when asked if that settlement would be used to repair the mall.

"We will make that decision when the time comes," he said.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 3:18 PM

Damn, so empty buildings can make money? I don't understand this guy's economics(even though I've seen him screw cities over with buying dead malls all over this country for the past 15 years and then just sitting on them). They call him a mall slumlord and by damn this is the worst sort of slumlord right here.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCloverdale View Post
man, does this Haywood Whichard guy seem like a jerk or what?!
Jerk with a capital "J"

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 8:05 PM

Dang!! Out of the hands of a doofus and straight into the hands of an imbecile...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 4:12 AM

Riverboat Purchase Approved by Montgomery City Council

Montgomery, Al. (WSFA) -- Montgomery's downtown area is booming and now it's looking to add yet another reason to visit the Riverfront.

Tuesday afternoon the Montgomery city council voted unanimously in favor of the purchase of of a riverboat from a group in Savannah, Georgia.

The Riverfront Development Foundation plans to buy the triple decker boat for $500,000.

Right now, there is a survey underway to make sure the boat can safely make the trip to Montgomery.

WSFA 12 News learned Tuesday night that the city hopes to have the riverboat in town and ready for use by Labor Day weekend.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 4:18 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Riverboat Purchase Approved by Montgomery City Council

Montgomery, Al. (WSFA) -- Montgomery's downtown area is booming and now it's looking to add yet another reason to visit the Riverfront.

Tuesday afternoon the Montgomery city council voted unanimously in favor of the purchase of of a riverboat from a group in Savannah, Georgia.

The Riverfront Development Foundation plans to buy the triple decker boat for $500,000.

Right now, there is a survey underway to make sure the boat can safely make the trip to Montgomery.

WSFA 12 News learned Tuesday night that the city hopes to have the riverboat in town and ready for use by Labor Day weekend.

That's awesome!! Just another reason for people to visit downtown.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 1:04 PM

city park coming in front of Embassy Suites, Union Station

I think this will be moved there --

Riverwalk observation tower still in the plans ... to be bid this week (?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast