HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I realized that after I posted the email, When I looked up indoor water parks on google it directed me to Water Parks in general not just indoor water parks.
Dude, you just need to calm down. I'm one of the 'inhabitants' that lives in the neighborhood, and if the project looks like a Super 8 motel, count me in your petition. BUT, lets all just wait for the renderings.

For up to the date posts of the 311 At Centre Point Winnipeg, PLEASE visit my form here at -----> http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=197745

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 10:25 AM

I know it's wikipedia, but my wise Ottawa-based aunt recently told me:"I love the idea of a beautiful museum in Wnnipeg, but the Museum of Civilisation took 10 years to build here too!" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia...f_Civilization

"In response to criticisms that "Museum of Man" could be interpreted as gender-biased in light of modern sensibilities, a competition was launched in 1986 to find a new name. The National Museum of Man became the Canadian Museum of Civilization. In 1989, the museum moved in to the new facility. At the time of its opening, the cost of the museum had ballooned from an initial estimate of approximately $80 million to approximately $340 million. Despite initial criticisms of the perceived Disneyfication of the museum, its enormous costs, unique architecture, and unfinished exhibits from many quarters (including the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney), the museum soon became a major tourist attraction and was embraced by different political factions as a national symbol of "a pluralistic, multicultural society."[17] The museum attracts over 1.3 million visitors per year, making it Canada's most-visited museum."

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:10 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Or might the Forks warrant the four story vision? With great landscaping like this Sammy will surely think he is back home in the Arizona desert!
Ooo, 4 stories, such a fucking vision. We might luck out at 5

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 2:02 PM

I think I'm going to sit down and write a respectable, polite essay in regards to this project. I know others have, and now it's my turn; if I am happy with my work then I shall submit it to various media outlets.

I attempted this once before [you can view my short piece above; it's on Page 5 or something of this thread] but the piece wound up being inflammatory and caustic. I found it difficult to reign in my emotion, so that effort turned into a more of a humour piece, complete with angry language and references to Natalie Portman. Obviously I didn't send it to the Free Press or anything.

Hopefully this time I will create something more accessible, palatable, and family friendly. If this occurs then I will spread it around and hope somebody bites. I wish I could conjure up some other way to express how I feel about this and politely scream at the politicians involved, but I guess for now a passionate letter will have to suffice....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:36 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

Heard Viking quoted on CBC news at 6:00, great comments

Sammy now making good on promises to all friends who helped get his scumbag hide elected mayor, hope the simpletons who voted for him are happy now!

PS maybe they can squeeze a 7-11 onto the hotel site to make those who voted for Sammy feel more at home at the Forks now!
I missed it because I'm in Calgary. I typed out a rant on my iPhone and told her to use whatever she wants. What did I say?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Or might the Forks warrant the four story vision? With great landscaping like this Sammy will surely think he is back home in the Arizona desert!

I fail to see how this would an upgrade over the current gravel parking lot! Lol!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 7:54 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I fail to see how this would an upgrade over the current gravel parking lot! Lol!
Wow. If this is seriously what they plan on building, there will be a reckoning.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 8:05 PM

If they build anything remotely similar to that shit in the photo I sincerely hope for a civilian mob to charge the building with torches and tear it down brick by bri - er.... stucco chunk by stucco chunk.

I have seen nicer hotels in Pincher Creek.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 8:10 PM
The New Republic

You people must love water parks. This thread is only 2 days old and its on post #108 already.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 8:10 PM

Free Press Poll

By the way, I noticed a poll on the online Winnipeg Free Press just now asking the public's approval of this bunk ass catastrophe. When I voted 59% were against the idea. You might want to take a sec to click the box, but who knows if anybody else reads that stuff. I wonder if it's ever an accurate reflection of public perception. Either way, I clicked the box.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 10:53 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
you people must love water parks boondoggles. This thread is only 2 days old and its on post #108 already.
ftfy

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 11:36 PM

Paula Havixbeck (city councillor - Charleswood) was on CJOB during the 9am newscast. (Check the Audio Vault) There was talk about having more than 1 waterpark, and more proposals could be coming down the pipe.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 2:20 AM
A long time gone

75 millions is a lot, surely not stucco... also if it's a hotel, it's very good for the area... that lot is so close to the railway, living there it would be not very comfortable

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:16 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
75 millions is a lot, surely not stucco... also if it's a hotel, it's very good for the area... that lot is so close to the railway, living there it would be not very comfortable
Look at my post earlier in this thread where I estimated the breakdown of the budget. Because there is 2phases the estimate for the hotel-phase 1 will probably be between $15 & $20 million. Not really a cutting edge budget.

.......sorry for the grammar - booze and a iPad make typing tough.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Look at my post earlier in this thread where I estimated the breakdown of the budget. Because there is 2phases the estimate for the hotel-phase 1 will probably be between $15 & $20 million. Not really a cutting edge budget.

.......sorry for the grammar - booze and a iPad make typing tough.
When I asked for opinions on the Inn at the Forks, someone posted that it was appropriate for the area as a 140 room boutique hotel and cost $16 million to construct. If the proposed budget for phase 1 is $15 to $20 million for a 125 room hotel, you would think someting of similar quality as the Inn at the Forks would be built.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 2:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
When I asked for opinions on the Inn at the Forks, someone posted that it was appropriate for the area as a 140 room boutique hotel and cost $16 million to construct. If the proposed budget for phase 1 is $15 to $20 million for a 125 room hotel, you would think someting of similar quality as the Inn at the Forks would be built.
Good comparison and good point. I forgot the budget for the Inn at the Forks.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:41 PM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:46 PM

At least one good thing will come from this fiasco. We can without a doubt be sure that Mr. Katz will not be in office for another term.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 5:54 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
At least one good thing will come from this fiasco. We can without a doubt be sure that Mr. Katz will not be in office for another term.
Whos going to replace him though, Scott Fielding? He'd turn RT into a fucking ruin, commence mega-sprawling and refuse ANY media requests...

We need Glen Murray again

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 6:17 PM

From what I have heard Glen Murray was not so great either, so I would hope someone new and fresh would come in. For me the ideal candidate would be someone who has no ties that would cause any sort of hidden agendas or conflict of interests. This person would also have thorough insight to the direction that urban planning is heading, with a mind for the future not just the present. This person would have a desire to make this city a "world class" city, in reality, not just on paper and in press releases. We need a Michael Bloomberg.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan