HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 6:33 PM

Dallas and Houston apparently rank quite high for architectural gems in compact spaces. Thank the arts districts:

For the Best U.S. Architecture Per Square Mile, Head to Dallas

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 9:39 AM

Liberty Mutual Insurance moving to Plano

Quote:
By Steve Brown
February 4th 2015

Another major corporate move is poised to bring thousands of new jobs to West Plano.

Boston-based Liberty Mutual Insurance is in talks with developers and the city about constructing a huge service center in Legacy business park, real estate brokers say.

Like the new State Farm Insurance campus in Richardson, the Liberty Mutual project would consolidate operations from multiple locations.

The development – planned on the west side of the Dallas North Tollway at Headquarters Drive – would include two high-rise buildings that could accommodate more than 4,000 workers.
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...672&refer=self

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 7:08 AM

^Wow!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 6:48 PM

Sources: Toyota considering doubling its $350M headquarters

Quote:
Dallas-Fort Worth real estate sources say the Japanese automaker is considering doubling its $350 million corporate campus to 2 million square feet, and plans to bring in more jobs than originally anticipated.
Quote:
Construction began on Toyota's new corporate campus in January. The campus is slated to be complete in late 2016 or early 2017.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 7:18 PM

Sounds like good news for the metroplex.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 11:24 PM

The North Dallas burbs seem to be the hottest real estate market in the country right now.
The amount of growth up there is mind-blowing.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 3:04 AM

Jack Matthews: Dallas high-speed rail station to be 'massive game-changer'

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...ion-to-be.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
Jack Matthews: Dallas high-speed rail station to be 'massive game-changer'

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...ion-to-be.html
Hmm... Neither of those stations seem to link directly to other rail lines in the city. When people from Houston get off this bullet train they do what?
You need to be able to get off of the bullet train and hop right onto our commuter rail, light rail and street car system. This should connect with Union Station.

With that question at hand, I don't understand why you don't see Zip Car and bike share stations at the Dart stations with parking lots.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Hmm... Neither of those stations seem to link directly to other rail lines in the city. When people from Houston get off this bullet train they do what?
You need to be able to get off of the bullet train and hop right onto our commuter rail, light rail and street car system. This should connect with Union Station.

With that question at hand, I don't understand why you don't see Zip Car and bike share stations at the Dart stations with parking lots.
Obviously you did not read or your not familiar with the southwest area of downtown Dallas where all rail lines meet including Dart lines at Union station. There is also a Dart station at the Convention Center area nearby all within walking distance of these two site proposals which will be integrated for any kind of service.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...or-dallas.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
Obviously you did not read or your not familiar with the southwest area of downtown Dallas where all rail lines meet including Dart lines at Union station. There is also a Dart station at the Convention Center area nearby all within walking distance of these two site proposals which will be integrated for any kind of service.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...or-dallas.html
I don't consider that part of I-30 to Union Station a close walk. It seems that now you'd have to get off the bullet train, wait on a red or blue line train at the dart stop, then go to Union station to catch the street car or TRE. If it were closer to Union Station you'd have easier access to more transit options. Dallas has many miles of rail, but a lot of it is not convenient. For instance, the Dart goes near Love Field, but you still have to get off and catch a shuttle. They should make this as easy as possible for people.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 12:21 AM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
I don't consider that part of I-30 to Union Station a close walk. It seems that now you'd have to get off the bullet train, wait on a red or blue line train at the dart stop, then go to Union station to catch the street car or TRE. If it were closer to Union Station you'd have easier access to more transit options. Dallas has many miles of rail, but a lot of it is not convenient. For instance, the Dart goes near Love Field, but you still have to get off and catch a shuttle. They should make this as easy as possible for people.
Having to switch your modes of transportation on routes such as having to take a train, then a bus, then walking some blocks to get to your final destinations i very common among all cities the have a well developed transportation system. I personally know from the many years I've lived in Chicago. The point is not to have several different transportation lines that all connect to one another at various points to make it one straight shot, although I will admit it is convenient when it does work out like that, the point is to make it possible to travel around urban area without the needing a vehicle or needing to walk long distances which would usually be considered anything greater than 1 to 2 miles.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 7:35 AM

Quote:
There are already people miffed that the train won't stop at the Woodlands, which would have been a desirable connection. The rail builders thought it would be too difficult to bring the train down I-45, so part of the market will be lost. But who knows? Maybe it will spur mixed use development in Cypress.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:55 PM

Developer KDC is eyeing Deep Ellum office project

Quote:
The office building would be part of Westdale Properties’ planned redevelopment of the historic old Knights of Pythias temple at Elm Street and Good-Latimer Expressway.

Westdale is working on plans to convert the century building into a boutique hotel.

And StreetLights Residential would build an apartment tower on vacant land next door.

Real estate brokers say that KDC and Westdale are also talking about constructing an office building as part of the mixed-use project.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 9:13 PM

Hampton Inn breaks ground in huge Nebraska Furniture Mart project in The Colony

Quote:
The 115 room 6-story Hampton Inn and Suites is expected to open in early 2016. It will be built using the brand’s new “forever young,” ultra-modern design, and will be geared to attract millennial travelers.

The rooms feature all-white bathrooms, extra outlets for charging mobile devices and higher bandwidth than in previously built Hampton Inn locations.

The hotel is expected to cost $12 million to build.

In the summer of 2016, after the Hampton Inn is completed, Atlantic plans to break ground on a 126-room Homewood Suites by Hilton.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
Dallas and Houston apparently rank quite high for architectural gems in compact spaces. Thank the arts districts:

For the Best U.S. Architecture Per Square Mile, Head to Dallas

They forgot to mention the IM Pei City Hall and Fountain Place. The Santiago Calatrava bridge. And the Phillip Johnson Kennedy Memorial and Comerica Tower.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:39 PM

Plano’s $2 billion Legacy West project gets another player with office tower plans

Quote:
Gaedeke Group LLC – has purchased 11 acres just east of the Toyota campus where it plans to build a high-rise office project.
Quote:
“Currently we are finalizing plans for a Class AA multi-tenant office project which we are working to deliver at the end of 2016,” Sabine Gaedeke Stener, CEO of the Dallas-based investment group, said in a statement. “We are excited to be part of the dynamic Legacy West project and next door to such prestigious companies.”

Real estate brokers say that Gaedeke is planning a 15-story office tower with about 300,000 square feet to kick off its Legacy West project. Dallas architect Morrison Dilworth + Walls is designing the project.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:

With either station it really wouldn't be hard to extend the lines to meet with the station. This is the former Cowboys Stadium site which was going to have its own light rail spur that met up to the south with the rest of the line. This could easily be done and would allow for the D2 seperation that is wanted already for the green and orange lines. The both could simply go to the station, switch ends(which actually takes seconds) and head back north to the D2 line. The TRE could easily extend to the south on the same tracks it already runs on and terminate there instead of at Union Station. The red and blue lines could simply have designated trains just as they did with the AAC before the green line opened. If D2 happens and the "Over I-30" station happens, you don't even have to do the spur. Its all doable and likely would have already happened had Dallas County been awarded the stadium.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:31 PM

Four more towers in the works for Dallas’ Victory Park project

Quote:
The biggest of the new developments in the works at Victory Park is a 28-story apartment tower planned at the north end of the development at Hi Line Drive and Houston Street.
Called Katy Station, the building is being designed by Houston-based architect EDI International, according to filings with the Federal Aviation Administration.
Quote:
Further south at Victory Avenue and Museum Way, Victory Park manager Estein & Associates and Florida-based Lennar Multifamily Communities are expected to announce plans soon for a building with a movie theater and retail on the lower levels and apartments above. The project will be close to 20 stories and will occupy a block now used for parking.
Quote:
The project will be close to 20 stories and will occupy a block now used for parking.
Quote:
The project will be close to 20 stories and will occupy a block now used for parking.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 11:12 PM

I dont know if this has been posted or discussed here before, but one of the proposals out there involves removing the I-345 spur that links I-45 with US75. The traffic going from I-45 to 75 would simply reroute around the CBD on the mix-master.

The spur has reached its end-of-life and the cost to rip it out would be roughly equal to what it would cost to do a full replacement of the expressway.

If we could rip the spur out, the land that would be freed up would be revitalized and returned to urban, walkable, livable space:

http://www.ANewDallas.com/

Scroll down on the page to check out the Vision of how the land would be utilized! Pretty impressive.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
I dont know if this has been posted or discussed here before, but one of the proposals out there involves removing the I-345 spur that links I-45 with US75. The traffic going from I-45 to 75 would simply reroute around the CBD on the mix-master.

The spur has reached its end-of-life and the cost to rip it out would be roughly equal to what it would cost to do a full replacement of the expressway.

If we could rip the spur out, the land that would be freed up would be revitalized and returned to urban, walkable, livable space:

http://www.ANewDallas.com/

Scroll down on the page to check out the Vision of how the land would be utilized! Pretty impressive.
Some of us feel like the most ideal approach would be to bury I-345, which although it is expensive, seems to be the best of both worlds (regional mobility and the benefits that come from creating a single cohesive neighborhood connecting Downtown with Deep Ellum).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations