Nikon D700 1 16.67%
Nikon D300 1 16.67%
other? 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 2:00 PM
Red October standing by

What DSLR should I get next?

I'm looking for a little more input:

It's time for me to get a new DSLR. Money really isn't an issue, however I'd rather not go over $5000, and definitely not over $10,000.

I currently have a Nikon D70s with a 18-55 mm and 70-300 mm. I've had this set up a little over two years, my first DSLR. I plan on getting the vibration reduction version of the 70-300 mm regardless on the new camera i get.

The question comes up on FX vs. DX, and getting a new nice wide angle lense, CF cards, and new, nice tripod. plus money for some nice trips and other things (Flatscreen TV, new computer, and other cool stuff.)

I like that the D3 and D700 have beyond awesome high ISO capability. I like that the D3 has the slot for a second CF card.

But do I really need these things? Would it be enough of an upgrade to just go from 6 MP to 12 MP, along with the new lenses and tripod?

Likely money will be even less of an issue in 2-4 years, when I can see the "want" to get a new camera again. So should I wait until then to go balls to the wall with a D3 (or D4) and supporting lenses?

Photos I like to take:

- street photography
- night scenes
- zoomed in from above

Thanks for your help and comments.

-

-fflint

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 11:30 PM
Watchin em grow

Either the D3 or the D700 would be great. I think that the D3 will be with you longer with its higher level of feature. Between the two it still comes down to the glass you pair the body with.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 12:15 AM
arf

The extra CF slot is useless. Seriously. Just carry another card, unless you're doing sports / quick action stuff that you want to shoot continuous a lot it's pointless.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 2:08 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFHeadstone View Post
Either the D3 or the D700 would be great. I think that the D3 will be with you longer with its higher level of feature. Between the two it still comes down to the glass you pair the body with.
Building on what Home In My Shoes said, I agree the extra features of the D3 versus the D700 are important if you're doing high-volume sports and action photography. Otherwise, the D700 will do the same stuff for $2,000 less. It's the same sensor, and with the exception of burst speed, the same electronic capability.

The D3 is rated for a longer life in shutter-clicks, but again, unless you're doing high-volume you probably won't wear out the D700 before a new generation of hardware comes along and you're ready to move up. I'm loving my D700, and both my D70 and D200 had a lot of life left in them when the time came for upgrades. I gave the D70 to my brother and he loves it. I sold the D200 to an up-and coming young artist and designer, and ditto.

I shoot everything Camera RAW, and most days of urban photography, a 4GB card will outlast my legs. Likewise the standard battery. At first I thought I was going to need an extra battery, but after a couple of cycles to condition it, it's better'n the Energizer Bunny.

Don't be afraid of used FX lenses, either, so long as you buy from a trusted source. I picked up a 28mm f:2.8 (AF, not AFS) for $100 at the local independent camera shopand it's one of my favorites.

edit: I've been shooting the 70-300mm non-VR lens with my D700, and a friend has a D700 and the VR version. Comparing our results, there's not a lot of difference in image quality if you rule out camera movement; the VR definitely does give an advantage when you're hand-holding at long focal lengths. I take along a Gitzo Basalt tripod, very light, to use with telephoto shots and get pretty decent results.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; May 30, 2009 at 3:09 AM. Reason: add comment on 70-300mm lens

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:39 AM
International

Go for a D90.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Go for a D90.
If I were to upgrade from my D50, I would shoot for a D90.

Another note, I've been borrowing a friend's nikkor 50mm prime lens and it's almost liking having a new camera. The sharpness is amazing compared to my 18-55 and 70-300 nikon lenses.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 2:32 AM
International

Yeah, he should get a D90 and a 50mm f/1.4, aka the cream machine.

I don't want to sound rude, but the kind of work LSyd does (Southern fried grit ) hardly warrants a D700/D3. The D90, a mighty fine camera in and of itself, will more than suffice. Lenses mean, and play a much bigger role with regards to IQ than the body itself.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 7:11 PM
Red October standing by

^ interesting suggestion on the d90. i'm reading good reviews on it, saying better than d300. i hadn't considered the d90 because it uses SD and not CF. any thoughts on that? body makeup/build? maybe i'll go rent a d300 and a d90 next weekend and try 'em out.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 6:20 PM
Mooderator

How about the new D5000? I've seen them on sale for about a thousand bucks here.

doesn't use CF though..

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 8:42 PM
tilted & shifted

If money is no object, get the D3. Shooting full-frame is the way to go.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 6:20 PM
Red October standing by

D90. i'm enjoying it so far.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 4:45 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

So you bought it?!?

I really want a D90. In Costco.com you can get it with 2 lenses. 18-105 and 70-300. It's 1,715 bucks but the 15 bucks are refunded because they give you a free memory card. So in the end it's 1,700 bucks. Plus it comes with the carrying bag, 2 instructional DVD'S, USB/Video cables, and the screen cover. So it's a pretty good deal!

I really really want it

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 3:09 PM
Red October standing by

^that's cheaper than anywhere i've seen it (and what i paid.)

i bought it to save money for lenses, nice TV and travel.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 1:59 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Lucky! Any pictures that you'd like to share with us?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 9:03 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Congrats on the new cam, LSyd.

I'll be picking up a Nikon D3 next weekend. I'm like a kid waiting for christmas right now.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 11:39 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Congrats on the new cam, LSyd.

I'll be picking up a Nikon D3 next weekend. I'm like a kid waiting for christmas right now.
nice. i know the feeling.

pics from D90 coming soon.

-

-fflint

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography