HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 11:48 PM
Drenched in Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I had 2 pet rats at a time so when they died I went and got 2 more until all 6 eventually died but by then I had had enough of them chewing on my shit. A couple of the poor little buggers got cancer too.

You're right they are smart, there's a reason they've survived after everything we've done to try and exterminate them
Rats are good for one thing, pharmaceutical testing. Most drugs we have today resulted from thousands if not millions of rat deaths. The first lab I toured was in the RTP - 1990s. Albino rats in cages everywhere.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I can’t imagine why someone would want to keep rats as pets.
Out of all of the rodents I've had as pets (also includes hamsters, gerbils, and mice), rats are by far the best as pets. Other rodents basically just chill in their cage or tank. They're much more naturally fearful of humans, and in my experience never really got used to being handled. Some of them will tolerate it, but many will continue to try and run away from you after more than a year of captivity.

Rats aren't like this. After a few weeks with you, they become accustomed to your presence. You can let them out of their cage and allow them to wander around in a supervised fashion. If you put them on a table, and put your hand down, they will climb up your arm and hang out on your shoulders. They're happy to see you when you get home, and you can feed them scraps of whatever the heck you're making for yourself. Basically they're much more "pets" in the sense that a dog or a cat is a pet, rather than pets in the sense that fish in an aquarium are (which is what other rodents are like).

Drawbacks are relatively limited. My rats never bit me, except for this one time I made the mistake of trying to hand feed them peanut butter. They will sometimes dig into you with their claws if they are worried they're going to fall. They do have the bad habit of peeing on you a bit to mark their territory, but it's usually only a few drops, so it's not a big deal. The worst aspect by far is how short their lifespans are. Neither of mine lived much over two years. Caring for both of them got expensive near the end of their life - one developed a chronic respiratory infection that needed antibiotics, the other benign tumors that needed surgery. If I was going to do it again, I'd try to go through a breeder, because I have heard those rats can live up to five years.

Last edited by eschaton; Aug 27, 2018 at 10:58 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Rats are good for one thing, pharmaceutical testing. Most drugs we have today resulted from thousands if not millions of rat deaths. The first lab I toured was in the RTP - 1990s. Albino rats in cages everywhere.
That's because rats and mice were among the first species effectively cloned (albeit by using conventional breeding techniques). Those rats you saw in cages were probably genetically identical which makes them perfect subjects, especially for immunologic research as on cancer immunotherapy.

Here's the kind of thing being done, this time involving research on the tumor that just killed John McCain--glioblastoma multiforme: Comparison of Allogeneic and Syngeneic Rat Glioma Models by Using MRI and Histopathologic Evaluation

"syngeneic" = genetically similar or identical and hence immunologically compatible, especially so closely related that transplantation does not provoke an immune response.

"allogeneic" = Not . . . . .

Last edited by Pedestrian; Aug 27, 2018 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:34 AM
I put the F-U in FUN

Quote:
I can’t imagine why someone would want to keep rats as pets.
You obviously don't think they're cute but they're undeniably smart and sociable
“Ideologies are substitutes for true knowledge, and ideologues are always dangerous when they come to power, because a simple-minded I-know-it-all approach is no match for the complexity of existence.”
― Jordan B. Peterson

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 8:58 AM

Growing up I knew a kid who got a pet ferret, and his entire home reeked. You guys can keep the rodents.

If you want a pet, get a dog. If you want a small, intelligent animal that tolerates you in exchange for food access, get a cat. Anything else is just being different for differences’ sake. Perhaps a rabbit, but really I see those as something that one raises for food.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Growing up I knew a kid who got a pet ferret, and his entire home reeked. You guys can keep the rodents.

If you want a pet, get a dog. If you want a small, intelligent animal that tolerates you in exchange for food access, get a cat. Anything else is just being different for differences’ sake. Perhaps a rabbit, but really I see those as something that one raises for food.
Rats don't smell. As long as you change their bedding every week or two, their cages don't either.

I don't like how dogs fawn over you and want attention constantly. I love cats, but I'm also highly allergic to them.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:

Pet rats are quite hygenic, tame, and affectionate. They make far better pets than hamsters, gerbils, ferrets, or any other small mammal that's kept in a cage.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:02 PM

So in my life to date I had met one person who would even consider having a rat in their home on purpose. And now there’s another several of you on SSP. This place is weird.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Rats don't smell. As long as you change their bedding every week or two, their cages don't either.

I don't like how dogs fawn over you and want attention constantly. I love cats, but I'm also highly allergic to them.
Put humans in cages with only wood shavings to do their "business" in and they too would most assuredly smell in short order. Any smell is not the fault of the rats.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Put humans in cages with only wood shavings to do their "business" in and they too would most assuredly smell in short order. Any smell is not the fault of the rats.
I’m quite sure “wild” rats smell like shit too.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:11 AM
Drenched in Sun

Quote:
Probably not.

I have come across numerous wild rats at night and have never thought, wow that rat was really stinky -- OMG!!!! [in an ultra dramatic fashion].

I have come across numerous people day or night, in suits, gym shorts, colleagues and thought, wow they smell like ass. Did this guy forget to wipe today? Has this dude ever heard of deodorant?!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 8:07 PM
I put the F-U in FUN

Quote:

Thanks for telling us what we're supposed to have for pets but i'm fine with whatever pets people have even if they're not to my personal liking, like snakes

As others have said you're right, ferrets reek of piss which is why i'm not a huge fan of them either

Quote:
You're wrong, you know almost nothing about rats because you've never had any, but i've had 6 so I would know if they stink, and they don't. Ferrets smell but they aren't rodents. Snakes stink too
“Ideologies are substitutes for true knowledge, and ideologues are always dangerous when they come to power, because a simple-minded I-know-it-all approach is no match for the complexity of existence.”
― Jordan B. Peterson

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 9:40 PM

Who knew rat owners were so sensitive. Just because you choose to bring something into your home that other people hire services to exterminate, doesn’t mean you need to get so defensive.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:33 PM
I put the F-U in FUN

Quote:
Who knew rat owners were so sensitive. Just because you choose to bring something into your home that other people hire services to exterminate, doesn’t mean you need to get so defensive.
I wasn't defensive about rats nearly as much as I was annoyed at your hubris of telling us which pets we should all have and that choosing certain pets over others is a bad decision. Since you've never had any, who are you to say which pets anyone should have?
― Jordan B. Peterson

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:45 PM
Registered Putz

Quote:
So in my life to date I had met one person who would even consider having a rat in their home on purpose. And now there’s another several of you on SSP. This place is weird.
You must live a sheltered boring life if people with pet rats is out of sorts for you.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I wasn't defensive about rats nearly as much as I was annoyed at your hubris of telling us which pets we should all have and that choosing certain pets over others is a bad decision. Since you've never had any, who are you to say which pets anyone should have?
Obviously you missed the whole shorts debacle.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
You must live a sheltered boring life if people with pet rats is out of sorts for you.
i don't often come to 10023's defense, but i think i can get into his psychology a little bit on this one. if you live in city with a notorious rat problem, it can be difficult to grasp why anyone in their right mind would ever willingly invite those vile awful little fuckers into their home.

10023 has lived in chicago and NYC, and currently lives in london.

it should be noted that all three of those cites are ranked on this list of the 10 most rat-infested cities in the world:

https://www.mphonline.org/most-rat-i...western-world/

as a resident of a city with a pretty bad rat problem, i can understand where he's coming from on this one.

if i never saw another rat again it would be too soon.

but i'll likely see one within the week.

fuck rats.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 30, 2018 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 9:11 PM

^ Amen.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 9:55 PM
Registered Putz

According to that list, Houston is number two. I still don't have that big of an aversion to rats but we also have four cats.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
According to that list, Houston is number two. I still don't have that big of an aversion to rats but we also have four cats.
I doubt my cat has ever encountered a rat or would know what to do if she did. Mostly her "prey" are bugs, some so small I can barely see them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions