HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Today, 4:45 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I don't understand how you could mess up a detail like that. I can't order a metre of concrete without a mix design statement submitted, on projects where it doesn't really matter, nevermind a bridge.
Ha. I had the City ragging on me for years over a longstanding deck railing that was 5 inches too short and posed no threat to anyone. But substandard bridge construction, whatevs, NBD

Old Posted Today, 4:52 PM

Had my first drive through the new 59/101 over the weekend. Not being a traffic engineer I cannot say professionally but from a lay person perspective that they needed to use extensive guard rails on some of the ramps seems to point towards possible design issues. I know similar guard rails might be common elsewhere but that are almost unused here to keep traffic exiting the wrong side of a ramp for example.

Old Posted Today, 4:59 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ What do you mean keeping traffic from exiting on the wrong side of a ramp? I'm having a hard time visualizing this.

Old Posted Today, 5:07 PM

Definitely no design issues. We're just not used to having proper infrastructure.

Old Posted Today, 5:59 PM

I like the upgrade, but I don’t see why the speed limit reduces to 70 heading to 59 north from eastbound 101. The gentle curve in that roadway could easily accommodate the 80+ that you merge into on 59. But it’s not nearly as bad as the 50 ramp limit going from northbound Main onto east 101. That one is a sick joke. Do it at that speed and you almost guarantee a merging disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Had my first drive through the new 59/101 over the weekend. Not being a traffic engineer I cannot say professionally but from a lay person perspective that they needed to use extensive guard rails on some of the ramps seems to point towards possible design issues. I know similar guard rails might be common elsewhere but that are almost unused here to keep traffic exiting the wrong side of a ramp for example.

Old Posted Today, 7:16 PM

Regarding the south perimeter bridge, yes it was re-done recently. And there is quite a story about how the deck design came to be what it ended up being. There was MI, the private consultant, and some legal *fun*. Not my place to tell that story.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan