HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:38 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Transportation committee backs Vimy Memorial Bridge renaming

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 1, 2014, Last Updated: October 1, 2014 11:40 AM EDT

More than a dozen members of the Royal Canadian Legion gave Ottawa’s transportation committee a standing ovation Wednesday after councillors approved a plan to rename the Strandherd-Armstrong bridge after the epic battle of Vimy Ridge.

Not long after the $48-million span over the Rideau River opened in July, two local Legion branches jointly suggested calling it “Vimy Bridge.” But, based on comments received during a 30-day public consultation, the city’s commemorative naming committee recommended the name “Vimy Memorial Bridge.”

The committee unanimously agreed and recommended that council do the same.

Barrhaven Legion president Ernie Hughes offered a quick history lesson about the famous First World War battle before telling councillors the bridge renaming honours veterans past, present and future.

Asked by Coun. Diane Deans if the bridge was a significant enough structure to honour such a deep sacrifice on the part of veterans, Hughes replied: “Yes, ma’am, it is.”

“I think it’s perfect,” he said.

Because the bridge spans the Rideau Canal — a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as well as a Canadian Heritage River, and because it connects two entrances to the nation’s capital, the veterans say the structure is more than a small local bridge connecting two communities.

The amount of traffic going by and over this bridge on a daily basis, both local and tourist, would mean that a lot of people would be reminded of Vimy and the sacrifices made by Canadian troops, the veterans said.

Renaming the new bridge is also seen as an appropriate way to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War and the battle of Vimy Ridge, led by Canadians to one of their greatest victories, the veterans said.

The battle of Vimy Ridge is seen as a defining moment in Canada’s history.

The three-day battle took place in northern France in April 1917 and claimed 3,598 Canadian lives. Another 7,000 were wounded, but the victory was significant.

Support for the proposed renaming wasn’t universal. The city received a total of 293 e-mails, two letters, four telephone calls and a petition signed by 352 individuals. Of these 651 responses, 560 were in support and 91 were opposed to the suggested name.

The city’s south end is also home to the Veterans Memorial Highway and John McCrae Secondary School, named after the First World War poet and doctor who wrote In Flanders Fields.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ridge-renaming

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
....and because it connects two entrances to the nation’s capital
How can a bridge connect two entrances to the nation's capital when you're already in the nation's capital on either side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
The amount of traffic going by and over this bridge on a daily basis, both local and tourist...
By tourists do they mean people from Manotick/Riverside South touring Barrhaven?

I'm fine with the bridge being renamed after Vimy Ridge but personally if we were going to commemorate this name somewhere I would have rather it not be on a random suburban bridge in southern Ottawa.

Was there nothing more fitting and related to the two communities that the bridge could have been named after instead? I just feel like after council announced that they would take suggestions for renaming the bridge this was the first group to act and that's why their voices were the loudest. Anyways, I digress and kudos to the Legions for all their work!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 6:42 PM
Busy Beaver

Same sort of thing happened when they built the 416. The Ontario government wasn't really keen on naming 400-series highways but there was a strong lobby by the legions. There isn't that much history for calling it the Veterans Memorial Highway, unlike the 401 between Toronto and Trenton being the "Highway of Heros" as it is often travelled by a convoy of vehicles carrying a fallen soldier's body.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
How can a bridge connect two entrances to the nation's capital when you're already in the nation's capital on either side?

By tourists do they mean people from Manotick/Riverside South touring Barrhaven?

I'm fine with the bridge being renamed after Vimy Ridge but personally if we were going to commemorate this name somewhere I would have rather it not be on a random suburban bridge in southern Ottawa.

Was there nothing more fitting and related to the two communities that the bridge could have been named after instead? I just feel like after council announced that they would take suggestions for renaming the bridge this was the first group to act and that's why their voices were the loudest. Anyways, I digress and kudos to the Legions for all their work!
Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge sounded fine to me actually.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 10:00 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

South end span officially renamed Vimy Memorial Bridge

Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 8, 2014, Last Updated: November 8, 2014 3:36 PM EST

Politicians from all levels of government, Legion officials and others were on hand Saturday for the official ceremony to rename the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge, linking Barrhaven and Riverside South across the Rideau River as the Vimy Memorial Bridge.

The Barrhaven and Manotick Branches of the Royal Canadian Legion jointly submitted an application to rename the bridge.

“Vimy Memorial Bridge honours and recognizes our national heritage and one of our greatest military triumphs,” Mayor Jim Watson said at the ceremony.

The ceremony was highlighted by a parade over the bridge by the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa.

Coun. Steve DesRoches noted the bridge carries significant historical meaning as it spans the Rideau Canal, a National Historic Site of Canada, a Canadian Heritage River and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and connects two gateways into the Nation’s Capital.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...emorial-bridge

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 8:40 PM

Irony: monument to Civic failure named for one of Canada's greatest accomplishments.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:38 AM

Am I the only one not impressed by this bridge?

Because meh.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post

Because meh.
Have you ever been impressed with anything?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Have you ever been impressed with anything?
Once. In 1998. It was awful.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 12:16 PM

Lawsuit underway.... I can't believe horseshoe hill wanted another 250 day extension. Kudos to the city for forcing their hand though there is enough blame to go around and back again on this project.

http://m.ottawasun.com/2014/11/10/le...ger-for-bridge

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post

Because meh.
Bah.

It's purdy.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation