HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 4:29 PM
Member since 2001

Cool AUSTIN | Hotel Van Zandt | 197 FEET | 16 FLOORS | Complete

Texas Real Estate Business
May 2007

The VanZandt Hotel & Residences

Located near Red River and Davis streets in downtown Austin, The VanZandt Hotel & Residences is expected to break ground in the second quarter of this year.

While traditional multifamily developments are continuing to pop up throughout the city, Austin is seeing a rise in new and unique developments as well. Taking root in downtown Austin is The VanZandt Hotel & Residences. Combining multifamily units with luxury hotel rooms, the development hopes to attract visitors and residents with a convenient location and strong amenities.

Located near Red River and Davis streets in downtown Austin, The VanZandt Hotel & Residences is expected to break ground in the second quarter of this year. The mixed-use high-rise will feature 55 residential condominium units along with 308 hotel rooms. Featured on the property will be a bar and a spa as well as a 100-seat restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Residents of the condominiums will have access to all of the hotel amenities, which include room service, house accounts, a maid service, valet, 12,000 square feet of meeting space and a 5,000-square-foot outdoor event deck. The units will range in size from 1,450 square feet to more than 5,000 square feet. Residents also will have their own amenities including private entrance, elevators and a parking garage as well as a separate private deck and pool located on top of the building’s 17th floor.

San Diego, California-based JMI Realty is the owner and the developer of The VanZandt Hotel & Residences. Walton South is serving as the general contractor, while Hornberger + Worstell is design architect and WDG is the executive architect. The $125 million project is scheduled to open in May

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 11:54 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Good to hear I think they may be doing alittle work maybe preparing for construction later this summer.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 6:12 AM
Meh

Glad to hear they're moving along. I think this is one of the better designs we're seeing, though, it's not a grab your attention type of building, it is nice.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:32 AM

funny its mid spring 2008 and they still haven't started construction. I wish projects would not delay so much it gets quite anoying real fast especially when the shore has to sit there all alone.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 6:38 PM

Was on my bike again by there yesterday and noticed they were watering the empty lot that is to be the hotel. Thought that was curious and seemed like a longer term solution. I am sure they want to keep the dust down for the sake of the shore... but still seemed like a lot to do if the project were moving forward any time soon>!??!!!!????

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 7:08 PM

http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?i...anzandtng0.jpg

I just thought this thread needed a pic. I hope it gets built.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 8:01 PM

So are the residents of the shore going to be able to use the hotel amenities as well?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 9:38 PM
Meh

I've been saying it over and over again, but I really like this building. I hope it gets built, because I feel like it's one of the best designs of all the projects so far.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 8:10 PM
BANNED

Kimpton's "Future Development" site lists some hotels coming soon, but there is no mention of Hotel Van Zandt. At the bottom of the page there is a large listing of markets across the U.S. that its seeking partners to expand in. Austin is listed there along with Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. There is no definitive info here one way or the other about the Future of Hotel Van Zandt. But by its omission, construction certainly doesn't look imminent.

http://www.kimptonhotels.com/develop...velopment.aspx

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 2:04 AM
BANNED

I sent an email inquiring about the status of the Hotel Van Zandt to the Kimpton Hotel development email address listed in the link I posted above. I got a pretty quick response. Here is the text of the response:

Thank you for contacting us. The project has been put on hold for the
present time. Unfortunately, we do not have any further information to
provide to the public.

Best,

May Tien
phone 415.733.9603
fax 415.296.8031

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 2:21 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Im not suprised at this news. Though hopefully someday they can continue it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 3:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Yeah, it only confirms what a lot of us suspected. I wouldn't be too happy if I bought a condo at The Shore. Using the hotel amenities seemed to be an important selling point.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 9:21 PM
Going Up ___///|||

Come on Hotel Van Zandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Can somebody tell the contractor here to start this thing? This is one of my anticipated projects in Austin and has been delayed for nearly 2 years!

Here's a prospective: A person named Austin gave birth to Legacy and Shore.
Legacy was Shore's brother. He promised to protect Shore, his little sister. Then, Austin wanted to give birth to Van Zandt (Pretty good name to give right?). Shore really wanted another brother, but Austin couldn't. So there Shore is, crying and crying, with her older brother on her side.
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 7:41 AM
Meh

Update

Wow this thread is almost 4 years old!

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...-ahead-in.html
Quote:
Rainey Street District hotel moves ahead in Austin

Austin Business Journal - by Jacob Dirr, Staff Writer
Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 10:25am CDT - Last Modified: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 11:26am CDT

Developers filed a site plan for Hotel Van Zandt in the Rainey Street area, initially planned in 2008, but stalled.

According to the developer JMI Realty’s website: Hotel Van Zandt will be a 327-room, 16-story Kimpton Boutique Hotel with three levels of underground parking, a three-meal restaurant, 6,800-square-foot pool deck and bar, about 12,000 square feet of meeting space and a 1,300-square-foot exercise facility.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 7:43 AM
Meh

The architects. Look under hospitality.
http://www.wdgdallas.com/

Renderings:

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 7:50 AM
Meh

Two other outdated articles from 2005 and 2008.

Kimpton plans Town Lake hotel
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/st...21/story1.html

Condos, top half of skyscraper cut
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/st...04/story1.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The architects. Look under hospitality.
http://www.wdgdallas.com/

Renderings:

i really like the dramatic entrance, but the rest of this design is quite uninspiring (imo). it's sad to see they're cutting out the condos, as it would add to the burgeoning rainey st district.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbAustinite View Post
i really like the dramatic entrance, but the rest of this design is quite uninspiring (imo). it's sad to see they're cutting out the condos, as it would add to the burgeoning rainey st district.
The entrance is very cool indeed. Hopefully they keep it at least this dramatic. Ya, its sad the condo's had to go, really want to see Rainey turn into a DT urban neighborhood - it could be quite unique. I'm thinking of places I've seen in NYC and London that provide visions of its potential. Critical mass/density is needed for long term viability - I mean 100 or more years. I glad something is getting built, the hole they have over there isn't very inspiring

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 1:56 AM
Meh

Yeah, the design is a whole lotta meh. I hope it doesn't even crack 200 feet. This won't be real tall, so it won't show up too much (comparing it to The Shore next to it), so it won't be too bad. But really, I wish developers and architects took into consideration more that their building when in a prime and prominent spot in downtown, will show up in a major way on the skyline. I just really don't want a bunch of so-so buildings being the face of our skyline.

Take 21Rio for instance, while pretty bland and tall, it doesn't really harm the skyline all that much because of its location. It's sort of tucked away and forgotten sometimes. But if that building had been built along the waterfront, it would be awful. This new hotel isn't horrible, but it does make me think of some of the highrises on the UT Campus that were built in the 70s.

I was a big fan of the original design which I thought was one of the best ones we'd seen up to that point.

Here was the original design. 29 floors and 340 feet tall from what I remember.

Showing the new tower next to The Shore.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 3:11 AM

I'm not a fan of the design. The rendering is that exaggerated-angle look meant to make a very bland building look exciting. And it still looks boring, like an extended stay suites or something, designed with no purpose other than to keep costs down.

No offense to San Antonio, but it reminds me of what typically went up in SA over the past couple of decades.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin