HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Tour Phare in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Puteaux (Paris) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 4:17 AM
Downtology

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylife
Wow - I like it (except for the pubes, of course).
I guess those pubes are to cushion the lightning strikes

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 4:23 AM
OG from the L.B.C.

out.fucking.standing.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 4:40 AM
I'm usually right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier
Fuck you, you stupid ignorant francophile. Why don't you go over to Iraq and massacre some innocent Iraqi children with the U.S. troops.

And Britain very nearly fell to Germany in WWII, if not for the English Channel. Many French men and women risked their lives working for Le Maquis, the French resistance to Nazi occupation and helped make the D-Day invasion the success it was.
Francophile? Wrong word. I'm just sayin'.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Fuck you, you stupid ignorant francophile. Why don't you go over to Iraq and massacre some innocent Iraqi children with the U.S. troops.

And Britain very nearly fell to Germany in WWII, if not for the English Channel. Many French men and women risked their lives working for Le Maquis, the French resistance to Nazi occupation and helped make the D-Day invasion the success it was.
You did mean francophobe right? And I agree..while I am not a fan of this building.. the comment was unwarranted and unnecessary. (And not to forget that without the French help we may not have won our little revolution some 200 plus years ago.)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 5:13 AM

Not that I'm likely to ever get the chance, but I don't think I'd want to stand under it. I'm sure it is, but the base just doesn't look - stable.
That was my first impression - that it looked rickety.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 5:15 AM
BANNED

An American architect designed this for Paris, eh? He must be a Republican. And a Bush supporter. If this thing is built, French people will finally have a valid reason to hate America. This tops most Dubai projects for attrociousness and even rivals the Chicago Spire in its tacky "organic" overstatement.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 5:40 AM

Quote:

Lighten up, Francis.

Neither Francophile nor Francophobe, but simply frank (and indeed 1/4 French by blood, with roots tracing all the way back to Charlemagne.)

It is a silly design worthy of ridicule, designed by an American architect (a pretentious leftist, BTW, in response to someone's ignorant jump to conclusions in another post.) Sad that some Frenchmen were suckered into accepting this design, but much of modern art and architecture is simply about marketing. Lots of people will worship a turd if a Music Man tells them that it is 'art'. Heck, why not design the next building as a giant poop pile with genuine poop smeared on the walls, then some here can gush about how 'visionary', 'bold', and 'unique' it is, how it must be respected because it has never been done before, and how in 10 years we'll all love it.

Sometimes the emperor really doesn't have any clothes, regardless of nationality.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff
I have got to say that i'm not the biggest fan of this new organic looking design trend happening right now. I don't mind it so much for lower wider buildings but for skyscrapers it kind of bugs me. I am tired of twisting towers too. Sorry to damper the mood of another 1,000 ft building but...blaaah
Exactly!
For some reason most people on SSC love this building, I can't understand why, that's why I have to come here where people have better taste.
I am so sick and tired of the organic towers, and all those curves, it's infuriating.
It does wonders for lowrises, but for a wannabe supertall, it looks like this, a pile of poo.
The base is fucked up, it's way too wide where it shouldn't be, and the top is a big piece of crap.
Although from what I've seen on some other renders, I believe they should move the tower 180 degrees, because it is much slimmer from the back.

But again, the top is annoying, I can't stand any more of those wind turbines, I like green ecotowers, but there are certain limits. In this case, for a supertall, you can't leave the top open to winds like this with a bad hairdo.
Like I said on SSC, this looks like Trump, trying to cover his head with a mess of hair... instead they should have increased the height by a good 30 meters, made the tower the tallest in France, above the friggin Eiffel fucking tower, and closed it all up with a shiny glass dome, which would make the tower look like some fat bastard sitting on a couch, with his shiny bald head, weird and proud.

I think they should cancel this because it will definitely hurt LD's skyline.
This was the one shot to build something tall and huge and beautiful, instead they come up with this piece of poo, that isn't even tall, if they wanted a real signal, it should rise up above everything else, not be the ugliest thing since Genex

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 7:21 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Some people are being a bit (as in a lot) reactionary. Don't be nimbys. Not every skyscraper has to utilize only straight lines. There is a lot of geometry in this tower.

Props to Paris for building bold.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 8:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance
Some people are being a bit (as in a lot) reactionary. Don't be nimbys. Not every skyscraper has to utilize only straight lines. There is a lot of geometry in this tower.

Props to Paris for building bold.
If they shoved this KRaP in Chitown you would be bombing the mayor's office.

This building is a Piece of $hit in typical French fashion. On opening day they can play Oxygene by Jean Michael Jarre and really weird out.

Where Hitler failed to destroy Paris, this will complete the task.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4f
Exactly!
For some reason most people on SSC love this building, I can't understand why, that's why I have to come here where people have better taste.
I am so sick and tired of the organic towers, and all those curves, it's infuriating.
It does wonders for lowrises, but for a wannabe supertall, it looks like this, a pile of poo.
The base is fucked up, it's way too wide where it shouldn't be, and the top is a big piece of crap.
Although from what I've seen on some other renders, I believe they should move the tower 180 degrees, because it is much slimmer from the back.

But again, the top is annoying, I can't stand any more of those wind turbines, I like green ecotowers, but there are certain limits. In this case, for a supertall, you can't leave the top open to winds like this with a bad hairdo.
Like I said on SSC, this looks like Trump, trying to cover his head with a mess of hair... instead they should have increased the height by a good 30 meters, made the tower the tallest in France, above the friggin Eiffel fucking tower, and closed it all up with a shiny glass dome, which would make the tower look like some fat bastard sitting on a couch, with his shiny bald head, weird and proud.

I think they should cancel this because it will definitely hurt LD's skyline.
This was the one shot to build something tall and huge and beautiful, instead they come up with this piece of poo, that isn't even tall, if they wanted a real signal, it should rise up above everything else, not be the ugliest thing since Genex
LMAO!! I really should not be on here when I have been drinking. lol. Yeah I saw that they seemed to love it at SSC as well(when they were not caught up in the Brits vs The French thing).

'Like I said on SSC, this looks like Trump, trying to cover his head with a mess of hair... instead they should have increased the height by a good 30 meters, made the tower the tallest in France, above the friggin Eiffel fucking tower, and closed it all up with a shiny glass dome, which would make the tower look like some fat bastard sitting on a couch, with his shiny bald head, weird and proud.."

hahahaha!!!!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 8:36 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy
loathesome monstrosity IMHO. The Paris city government has my sympathy.
This building and la Defense are not in Paris (city proper) but in western inner suburbs
La Defense is located in three towns
Puteaux 40 780 inh 3,19 km²
Courbevoie 69 694 inh 4,17 km²
Nanterre 84 281 inh 12,19 km²
in the richest departement in France : Haut de Seine 1 428 881 inh 176 km²
(Departement of Nicolas Sarkozy)
This tower is actualy in Puteaux.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 9:32 AM

There's something light-hearted about the 'hair' that makes this tower endearing. And I personally can't get enough of organic architecture.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku
This building and la Defense are not in Paris (city proper) but in western inner suburbs
La Defense is located in three towns
Puteaux 40 780 inh 3,19 km²
Courbevoie 69 694 inh 4,17 km²
Nanterre 84 281 inh 12,19 km²
in the richest departement in France : Haut de Seine 1 428 881 inh 176 km²
(Departement of Nicolas Sarkozy)
This tower is actualy in Puteaux.
Yes I am aware that it is outside the Paris municipal limits. It was posted that the Paris city government was opposed to it..and I was just basically responding to that since it certainly is close enough(given how la Defense looms just outside the city limits) that it would certainly be visible. Doesn't la Defense cover something like 3 square miles/ten square kilometers?

And whenever I here or see 'Nanterre' I somehow always picture these :

(love Paris btw..truly one of the greatest cities in the world. )

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 10:38 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

La Defense don't cover ten kilometer square
but less than 2 km²

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 10:46 AM
BANNED

Thumbs up

THAT BUILDING IS SICK! I don't get why so many people are not into it... actually it's one of the coolest buildings I've ever seen.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:10 AM

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku
La Defense don't cover ten kilometer square
but less than 2 km²
Well I had read that 3 square miles were cleared out starting in the 1950's for the la Defense area and that over 25,000 residents were displaced. I guess the source I had was wrong then. Certainly it does not appear that large in any images I have seen of it.

*edit* The French government officially launched its La Défense operation in 1958 by creating a Public Corporation for managing the project, the "Etablissement Public pour l'aménagement de la région de La Défense", or EPAD. 750 hectares of land were allocated from three different neighboring towns - Courbevoie, Puteaux, and Nanterre.
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/zo/?id=100065

^^ well 750 hectares is about 1800 acres...and with 640 acres to a square mile that is nearly 3 square miles is it not??

Last edited by toddguy; Nov 29, 2006 at 11:22 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
What, you mean you're advocating form over function? The modernists would be ashamed
I'm loving the green-ness of the thing. It's certainly different to the other LD skyscrapers, but whaddya expect from the city's new tallest?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond 1000
Where Hitler failed to destroy Paris, this will complete the task.
You don't know what you're talking about.
This thing is too low and much too far to have an impact on Paris. I will just be a suburban curiosity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive