HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:31 PM

I think we have quite recently been through all this. They are going to be rebuilding the rail line. They are never going to build a road to Churchill. The rail line is both so they can ship through the port and it services tourism, which is a big thing for Churchill. All that said, why doesn't someone start up a Churchill thread as this thread has no more to do with Churchill than the the Inuit Centre does.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This is exactly what I was going to say. It will be important for us to have a military base and presence up there, but I do not think trying to increase tourism and shipping through the arctic waters is something we should be doing at all.

We need to make sure the people living there can survive, and some tourism is fine, but making it the Bermuda of the north would be catastrophic for the area. Some of the most famous tourist spots in the world are curbin or outright banning tourism due to the havoc it wreaks on nature. Even Thailand is taking action.
We had a military base up there. The feds closed it down. That’s why you look on google earth and all the base roads and runway etc are still visiable. The town was almost 3 times its current size then.
I think it’s a great place to train recruits and have a base for northern sovereignty and a good place for northern rescues which will come more common as the sea warms up.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 11:26 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

There is presently a base under construction in the arctic to service the new AOPVs.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan