HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:37 PM
homesick alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
To be fair, the Detroit Life Building and the Columbia Street project have been ongoing.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that the School of Business was built by WSU, not Olympia, using money donated by Olympia.

That was my impression about the School of Business. Still, I think people's concerns about the historic buildings are warranted given Olympia's track record. I mean, why else make it a historic district?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
That was my impression about the School of Business. Still, I think people's concerns about the historic buildings are warranted given Olympia's track record. I mean, why else make it a historic district?
I definitely side with the fact that the concern is warranted. I am by no means a fan of what Olympia has done to the northwest section of downtown or their bad track record with new projects.

Last edited by DetroitSky; Jul 11, 2018 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 11:27 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
It passed!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...lca/771812002/

The historical block is saved!
Honestly, this was a no-brainer and I'm glad this was a unanimous vote. While I'm not as much a hardliner preservationist as some when it comes to smaller buildings, and while I don't have as bad a view of the Ilitches as some have, I really have kind of reached my limit with the Olympia. They've done better in recent years than they did decades ago, but it's clear their default is still to view historic properties as a problem instead of an opportunity.

And, honestly, there isn't any real reason for them to be tearing down anything of historical significance in District Detroit given how little is actually left and thus how much buildable land for new development is left in between these few remaining teeth. It's not like these historic properties are hindering major development.

So, good on the city for doing something that sets down some additional guidelines for what Olympia can and can not do in this area. Obviously, Olympia's vision for the area needs some additional guidance that still seems absent from the actual leadership of the company, and if the city can provide that missing vision then so be it. They are just making sure they aren't taken like suckers like they were when they refused to oversee the full development of Mike's "Foxtown" that never came to be.

Speaking of which, I was under the impression that they've been working on the vacant retail spaces along Columbia Street. Is this not the case? I've seen pictures showing construction work.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:39 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

This is pretty big for Eastern Market. The same folks that developed the Siren Hotel in the Wurlitzer, downtown, are planning a multi-building redevelopment of and old cold storage facility and adajcent properties at Riopelle and Adelaide along the block to Orleans.

Quote:

Siren Hotel redeveloper works on mixed-use project in Eastern Market

By Kirk Pinho, Crain's Detroit Business

July 10, 2018

The New York City-based company that turned the blighted Wurlitzer Building in downtown Detroit into a $22 million boutique hotel has its eyes set on a large-scale redevelopment in Eastern Market along Adelaide Street.

Ari Heckman, founding partner and CEO of ASH NYC, told Crain's on Tuesday that although his company hasn't quite figured out what it will do with about 110,000 square feet it bought earlier this year from Santemp Co., it is envisioning a mixed-use redevelopment of six buildings between Orleans Street to the east and just west of Riopelle Street.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 6:50 AM

Gordie Howe International Bridge to start construction this year

Quote:
Final contract details will be negotiated between the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority and Bridging North America in the coming months. This will include the cost of the project, design details, and expected construction schedule, which will be announced following financial close, expected by the end of September.

The Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority stated that construction of the bridge will start this fall.
Avalon Village moves forward with plans for Blue Moon Cafe and Greenhouse

Quote:
In Highland Park, a community-led effort to create a healthy, sustainable, and safe neighborhood for its residents continues to grow. We recently visited Avalon Village on a day that founder Shamayim “Mama Shu” Harris had been looking forward to for a long time.

In the village, they’d planned to open a vegetarian cafe with a greenhouse at the corner of Avalon and Second Avenue. An old gas station stood in the way of this next phase. Beth Vens of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality happened to be listening to a story about Avalon Village on NPR, and realized that they had funds to remove contaminants like that. Fast forward about a year to Thursday afternoon, and the tanks were coming out of the ground.
Avalon Village is probably my personal favorite grassroots effort type redevelopment in the Detroit area. It was spearheaded by Shamayim Harris and includes several properties along Avalon Street between Woodward and Second. It includes a renovated duplex called The Homework House, which will be a place where kids can get help with homework and healthy meals, the Village Hall, which is a prefab house donated by Ellen DeGeneres that serves as a meeting place and headquarters for the project, Jakobi Ra Park, which is currently hosting a free summer music camp, and The Goddess Marketplace, a place where local woman can sell handmade goods. Future projects include the Healing House, a holistic health center, and of course the greenhouse with marketplace and cafe.

Boblo boat owners launch crowdfunding campaign to rebuild after fire

New artist incubator space opens on Detroit's far east side

Quote:
As of June 21, artists and creative entrepreneurs looking for studio space will have yet another option. Detroit Artists' Test Lab (DATL), located on Mack Avenue on the far east side, is the latest artist incubator to open its doors.

Founded by husband-and-wife collaborators and artists Glenn Urquhart and Kira Kessler, DATL was a project seven years in the making. Thanks to Motor City Match grants, the couple was able to complete renovations of the 12,000 square foot building into the incubator.

DATL contains a 2,500-square-foot professional photography studio, a 3,500-square-foot gallery, and a podcast studio for rent. Private offices are available for lease and co-working space memberships will start in the fall.

Last edited by DetroitSky; Jul 14, 2018 at 7:04 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 2:30 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
This is pretty big for Eastern Market. The same folks that developed the Siren Hotel in the Wurlitzer, downtown, are planning a multi-building redevelopment of and old cold storage facility and adajcent properties at Riopelle and Adelaide along the block to Orleans.
Man would it be cool to see these buildings get new life. New windows and restoring the masonry would be transformative.

I tried to find some historic photos but came up dry. According to Eastern Market's website, the Metro Cold Storage building was built 1864 and rebuilt in 1884. If I'm understanding the little blurb correctly, one of the earliest occupants was The Detroit Brewing Company, in 1868.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations