HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:36 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

I took my car in for servicing last month and the dealer shuttle drove us through the industrial parks of Fort Garry, off Chevrier and into the back streets around there. I was actually surprised to see just how much industry there was in that neighbourhood... much more than I would have thought based on what you see driving down the major streets like McGillivray or Waverley. Large factories, warehouses, everything. We aren't running out of that stuff.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:22 PM

I really like having Great-West Metal still making garbage cans and other products there, just like they did back when they would ship things by boats from the Alexander Docks. I like going into Pollock's or Corydon Hardware and seeing their garbage cans for sale and knowing they're manufactured on Pacific Avenue by the Red River... I guess there's just something settling about all this: feeling rooted to the local, and like the past isn't actually some far away place that's gone forever; that some living fragments of it are still around. So it will be sad if and when they close up operations, even if they relocate outside of downtown.

At the same time, though, this is part of a very very long-term trend of manufacturers moving out of the CBD. And even so, there's still a fair bit of activity happening not just in the suburban industrial/warehouse areas, but not too far way. A drive down parts of Sutherland, Henry, or Dufferin Avenues show there's a lot of smaller-scale, specialized manufacturing operations that don't appear to be slowing down.

To look at this closure/relocation and say 'doesn't Winnipeg make anything anymore?' is a little like seeing retail on Portage Avenue disappear 30-50 years ago and asking 'doesn't Winnipeg buy clothes anymore?'

Right next door to G-W Metal, a new gin distillery is opening soon. Spirit distilleries are something that disappeared from central Winnipeg by the year 1900, I believe. Now, in a very different century and a very different city, this old manufacturing use coming is back.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
I really like having Great-West Metal still making garbage cans and other products there, just like they did back when they would ship things by boats from the Alexander Docks. I like going into Pollock's or Corydon Hardware and seeing their garbage cans for sale and knowing they're manufactured on Pacific Avenue by the Red River... I guess there's just something settling about all this: feeling rooted to the local, and like the past isn't actually some far away place that's gone forever; that some living fragments of it are still around. So it will be sad if and when they close up operations, even if they relocate outside of downtown.

At the same time, though, this is part of a very very long-term trend of manufacturers moving out of the CBD. And even so, there's still a fair bit of activity happening not just in the suburban industrial/warehouse areas, but not too far way. A drive down parts of Sutherland, Henry, or Dufferin Avenues show there's a lot of smaller-scale, specialized manufacturing operations that don't appear to be slowing down.

To look at this closure/relocation and say 'doesn't Winnipeg make anything anymore?' is a little like seeing retail on Portage Avenue disappear 30-50 years ago and asking 'doesn't Winnipeg buy clothes anymore?'

Right next door to G-W Metal, a new gin distillery is opening soon. Spirit distilleries are something that disappeared from central Winnipeg by the year 1900, I believe. Now, in a very different century and a very different city, this old manufacturing use coming is back.
I believe the garbage cans are staying! It's my understanding GWM wish to sell the building and lease it back on a long my term basis...

Patent 5 is coming along on Alexander Avenue and hope to be open latter this summer making Gin, Vodka and Rye whiskey. The permit process was very difficult even though it's a concrete building.

Nonsuch beer on Lily is moving along and should be open a little latter this summer as well. Let's push interest into the EGG next! (Edwin, George and Galt) Waterfront North and the Manitoba Film Studios on Gomez is starting to attract new business into the city as well! There is interest for an urban lifestyle but young people need to buy downtown contrary to what their suburban parents might be saying.

There are many interesting businesses still in these buildings.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post

I believe the garbage cans are staying! It's my understanding GWM wish to sell the building and lease it back on a long my term basis...

Patent 5 is coming along on Alexander Avenue and hope to be open latter this summer making Gin, Vodka and Rye whiskey. The permit process was very difficult even though it's a concrete building.

Nonsuch beer on Lily is moving along and should be open a little latter this summer as well. Let's push interest into the EGG next! (Edwin, George and Galt) Waterfront North and the Manitoba Film Studios on Gomez is starting to attract new business into the city as well! There is interest for an urban lifestyle but young people need to buy downtown contrary to what their suburban parents might be saying.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 11:30 PM
surely you agree with me

^ that’s interesting. I noticed the price is $3.7m. They are advertising zoned for residential.

http://rowswellrealty.com/wp-content...e-18-07-06.pdf

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 1:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post

theres also the renovations that were ongoing at the kings no idea how that's come along was talk about a southern style bbq joint

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:38 AM

Crane up at the corner of Bannatyne/Arthur/Albert. I thought that one project there was cancelled in the end? If there's something new happening with the site, I won't complain

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA View Post
Crane up at the corner of Bannatyne/Arthur/Albert. I thought that one project there was cancelled in the end? If there's something new happening with the site, I won't complain
The old Bodegoes site?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:21 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA View Post
I can't see a crane there now from the Richardson building, but the Artspace building may have a new-looking pallet of materials up on the roof.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:23 AM

Amsterdam Tea room was granted a patio and it's quite large – looks fantastic right adjacent to Old Market Square and along the new bike lane, even though they have crappy furniture (for now at least). Will be interesting to see if Bodegoes get's one out front as well.

This will just make the awful parkade along OMS even more awful, when you see potential like this. Part of me has this fantasy that McKim maybe really cares about the area and will tear down the roof of the parkade to build something there

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:01 PM

Needs Centre has taken over the entire main floor of the Lindsay Builidng. They’ve removed all of the Manitoba Start awnings and fully frosted ALL of the windows. Looks brutal with the awnings gone, but considering Needs Centre has decalled the windows with logos, I fear it may stay like that – unless the landlord replaces the awnings.

Really sucks that it’s been completely closed off to the street.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Needs Centre has taken over the entire main floor of the Lindsay Builidng. They’ve removed all of the Manitoba Start awnings and fully frosted ALL of the windows. Looks brutal with the awnings gone, but considering Needs Centre has decalled the windows with logos, I fear it may stay like that – unless the landlord replaces the awnings.

It says something really depressing about this city that office space in this heritage building a stone's throw from the commercial centre of the city could be within the price range of a charity.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:

Needs Centre moved in months ago and the awnings were only taken down this week. No connection -- the building was sold recently and the new owner is doing a bunch of minor renovations, and the awnings seem to be part of that. Their design judgment in the interior renovations has been pretty good, so I hope new awnings are on the way.

The office space is small (just a corner of the main floor) and awkwardly shaped, so I wouldn't read too much into the fact that it sat vacant for so long.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:55 AM

Amsterdam Tea Room's patio license kicked in today and it is now open.

Cordova is currently building a patio that is on the sidewalk and wraps around into the Woodbine parking lot. Great addition. The area around OMS is (going to be) bustling now, with patios all around it. Fantastic.

Time to start the petition to McKim to redevelop their parkade...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:47 PM

Duncan / George / Waterfront

Well it seems CV had sold the Duncan / George / Waterfront site. It will be VERY interesting to see who bought it and for how much... Especially interested in the development proposed...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Amsterdam Tea Room's patio license kicked in today and it is now open.
Was jam packed at 11:00 Tuesday night as I walked by.

Old Posted Today, 1:32 AM

Occupancy is starting at the new apartments on Ross, dubbed “The Boyce Lofts on Ross”

Old Posted Today, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Occupancy is starting at the new apartments on Ross, dubbed “The Boyce Lofts on Ross”
Looks like they launched a site:
https://www.theboyceloftsonross.com/

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/ClsAAOSwoKFbAbvX/$_20.JPG

Old Posted Today, 5:12 AM
Starring as himself

Quite a nice layout on even the small one bedroom apartments.

Old Posted Today, 5:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

realy adds changes the feeling of that st

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan