HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1421  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 10:40 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Jekyl and Hyde’s is closed. Brutal.
They could just never find their true identity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1422  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:39 PM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,025
An interesting segment concerning the restrictions in developing and densification of Osborne Village, the current neighbourhood development plans holds back densifiction with a four storey height limit in most areas and developers argue they can build higher in the suburbs without additional approvals and they want the plan changed and updated which is hasnt been since 2001.

Quote:
Osborne Village: Challenges developing into the future
What are the challenges of building new structures in one of Winnipeg's oldest neighbourhoods? Tim Comack is the Vice President of Development with Ventura Land Company. Peter Hargraves is the principal architect with Sputnik Architecture. Both have worked on projects in The Village, and they joined Marcy Markusa live in studio.
http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/infor...gment/15539116
a quote from the segment:
Quote:
The zoo is sitting empty simply because they wanted to knock it down and build a 5, 6, 7 storey building and they weren't allowed to. the parcels they own on Wardlaw same story they wanted to go up in height and density and the density calculations they brought forward the city said no to them, so we have languishing assets sitting in the Village because restrictions preventing the developability. Our Company has invested over 20M in the last number of years there, and we'd continue to do so if the doors were open for investment but there is very little left..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1423  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:47 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,930
^ If that's true, then why on earth is Osborne subject to a four storey height limit when there are routinely buildings going up on other streets in the area that are taller than that? If anything Osborne should be the street where it's OK to go tall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1424  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:00 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,231
I don't see what the problem is with going up to 5,6,7 stories. Especially in Osborne.. Sure don't need 20 storey tower right on the strip, but my word.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1425  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:15 PM
wardlow's Avatar
wardlow wardlow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 211
The Osborne Village plan is now quite old (2006, I think?) and the city's first attempt at a secondary plan for an existing neighbourhood. A lot of the plan, including its surprisingly restrictive height maximums (four storeys on Osborne, 4-5 on River and Stradbrook) was done to preserve the existing character of the neighbourhood. Some of this was motivated by planning theory that says smaller scale is better than big highrises, but of course a lot of it was motivated by the wealthy old set in the suburban enclave north of Roslyn, and other assorted NIMBYs.

The good news is that the plan is up for a review. Hopefully this means buildings can be taller, while finding more precise ways to keep the fine-grain, dense commercial character of Osborne Street. Height restrictions are such a blunt instrument, and height usually isn't the issue: it's lot sizes and ground floor design. And I say this all as a resident of a 17-storey building in Osborne Village.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1426  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:21 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 10,742
^Corydon has a TWO STOREY setback requirement....that blows me away. The new building across from the Falafel Place had to be stepped back at its third floor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1427  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:25 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
The Osborne Village plan is now quite old (2006, I think?) and the city's first attempt at a secondary plan for an existing neighbourhood. A lot of the plan, including its surprisingly restrictive height maximums (four storeys on Osborne, 4-5 on River and Stradbrook) was done to preserve the existing character of the neighbourhood. Some of this was motivated by planning theory that says smaller scale is better than big highrises, but of course a lot of it was motivated by the wealthy old set in the suburban enclave north of Roslyn, and other assorted NIMBYs.

The good news is that the plan is up for a review. Hopefully this means buildings can be taller, while finding more precise ways to keep the fine-grain, dense commercial character of Osborne Street. Height restrictions are such a blunt instrument, and height usually isn't the issue: it's lot sizes and ground floor design. And I say this all as a resident of a 17-storey building in Osborne Village.
Good God. I remember the secondary plan being developed but I don't remember the 4 storey maximums on Osborne. That is staggering... talk about a way to artificially cap the value of those properties ensuring that nothing better gets built on those sites.

I totally agree on height being a blunt instrument... I guess it's just easier to define and regulate that as an issue vs. what really matters.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1428  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:32 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,231
4 stories also happens to be the height at which you don't need an elevator. It used to be 3 stories though. Not sure what date that changed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1429  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:46 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,187
So was the Corydon-Osborne area plan released last February not actually put into law? It has several blocks of Corydon marked for mid-rise mixed use, only requiring setbacks on floors 3+ if the building is over 7 storeys. It also has the area around Confusion, and on Wellington marked for high rise.

The 4 storey thing on Osborne is ridiculous if we’re touting it as the densest area, and wanting to grow that, especially considering there’s no houses on Osborne, and the towers by the river.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1430  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:02 AM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 379
Not sure if it's been covered already here, but Pho Hoang is moving into Desart.

And, Gong Cha (giant bubble tea/milk tea chain) is opening soon above After Dark. Their sign went up this week.

The latter is quite surprising to me -- Osborne isn't where I would have expected for them in terms of neighbourhood demographics.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1431  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:21 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 10,742
^ I guess we can stop writing the Osborne Village obituary. Seems like it’s back on its feet. I’m curious what will go in the second cup space. Totally prime.

There’s a bubble tea place near confusion corner.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1432  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:02 AM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
An interesting segment concerning the restrictions in developing and densification of Osborne Village, the current neighbourhood development plans holds back densifiction with a four storey height limit in most areas and developers argue they can build higher in the suburbs without additional approvals and they want the plan changed and updated which is hasnt been since 2001.



a quote from the segment:
Opinions on height restrictions not withstanding, shouldn't they had known about the height restriction when they purchased the building?

I mean it sucks, but it shouldn't have been a surprise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1433  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:08 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I’m curious what will go in the second cup space. Totally prime.
Someone here suggested that Za Pizza might be looking at the old Second Cup. But I had also heard Tim Hortons, Freshii and others named, so who knows. In any case, there's not much evidence of activity in there. They've dome some demo work a while back but right now it's pretty dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
There’s a bubble tea place near confusion corner.
Yeah, the waffle and bubble tea place? It seems pretty quiet a lot of the time.

Speaking of, the hydroponic place right next door is now vacant. Hope something interesting goes in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1434  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:16 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Opinions on height restrictions not withstanding, shouldn't they had known about the height restriction when they purchased the building?

I mean it sucks, but it shouldn't have been a surprise.
these developers don't seem super experienced. their only other project AFIK is that Moco development on Pembina (the one with the corrugated grey siding and coloured balconies near the Vic Gen hospital). That one's been built for 4 years and there are still unsold units.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1435  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:51 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Yeah, the waffle and bubble tea place? It seems pretty quiet a lot of the time.

Speaking of, the hydroponic place right next door is now vacant. Hope something interesting goes in.
Tea Story is amazing, always pretty busy when I go in there. Get a Korean BBQ waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
these developers don't seem super experienced. their only other project AFIK is that Moco development on Pembina (the one with the corrugated grey siding and coloured balconies near the Vic Gen hospital). That one's been built for 4 years and there are still unsold units.
Yeah I mean I wouldn't want to live in an oversized shipping container that wouldn't even meet design minimums for a prison either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1436  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:30 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah I mean I wouldn't want to live in an oversized shipping container that wouldn't even meet design minimums for a prison either.
in fairness we do have really high standards for prisons here, the remand centre on kennedy is an etienne gaboury design
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1437  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:31 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Tea Story is amazing, always pretty busy when I go in there. Get a Korean BBQ waffle!.
korean bbq waffle?!?

i wonder if my work will notice i'm gone *runs to car*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1438  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:33 AM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 2,025

(@ar_wmb) on Instagram
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.