HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Good news b/c that court building attracts an "interesting" crowd that can often be seen loitering outside. And I'd imagine that as part of any residential conversion, Alterra would not want that McDonald's to be the ground floor tenant. Once the project is complete and McDonald's is out, this block will be vastly improved. Taken together with the new Love Park, perhaps there is hope for that collection of ugly low rise buildings at the end of the block (next to the hotel).
It could be the McDonald's that attracts the "interesting" crowd. Or the mental psychiatric health clinic directly next door.

Probably the McDonald's.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It could be the McDonald's that attracts the "interesting" crowd. Or the mental psychiatric health clinic directly next door.

Probably the McDonald's.
Isn't that park there (with all the game pieces - forget the name) home to a ton of homeless? I remember the first time we visited, we satyed in my boss' condo at the RATR and walked around city hall. There must have been 50- 60 homeless sleeping in that park.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post

Probably the McDonald's.
Not familiar with the health clinic but yea that McDonald's is awful. I may not have been that clear in my OP but getting rid of McDonald's is just as important as clearing out the courts from that building. I just can't imagine McDonald's ( and specifically THAT McDonald's) being the ground floor tenant for what will likely be marketed as luxury rentals.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Isn't that park there (with all the game pieces - forget the name) home to a ton of homeless? I remember the first time we visited, we satyed in my boss' condo at the RATR and walked around city hall. There must have been 50- 60 homeless sleeping in that park.
Well, if you're talking about Thomas Paine Plaza at the Municipal Services Building, this is the current popup, which the game pieces were moved for: https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...m-paine-plaza/ Seems like it would be harder for homeless people to camp out here with this. It's not permanent, though.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
It's disappointing, but totally expected. IMO, this whole dog and pony show was likely to provide Amazon with essentially a huge amount of FREE publicity and to create an aura of "Fairness"- it was genius. HQ2 was always destined to be in the DC area, because : https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...ion-renovation

Unfortunately, most cities (including Philly) fell for this major Ploy. If Amazon actually picks the DC area, they will likely need to do extensive damage control with the other finalists, particularly if it leaks out (and it surely will) that the DC metro was always their pick and this exercise was to maximize the region's monetary bribe. To with Amazon. I'm canceling my Prime membership
I have been loathe to discuss these issues for many months. It always appeared logical, at least to me, Philadelphia is the ideal destination for HQ2. However, corporate beings have a different logic system than urban planners, et. al.

I provide instance of GE as an example with relocation to the immediate Boston area. Corporate leaders provided all sorts of progressive technological criteria determining their decision. Ultimately, that is where the corporate leaders wanted to live. Consider this in a company where relocation is LEAST of the problems to contend with. GE has been mismanaged for many years. Focus upon relocation as any solution to their problems was preposterous. However, this is the nature of the corporate species.

Regarding Amazon, I determined a suburban DC location was imminent when Amazon began major lobbying efforts targeting federal representitives in February 2018. Apparently they perceive those efforts as imperative to market survival in an environment where our nation's political executive has made specific attacks upon them. Lobby functions do not necessitate a nearby headquarters unless it is a major corporate strategy for years advancement, and I believe it is.

Furthermore, I have heard the chatter, especially from informed sources, just like everyone else. I hope we are all mistaken and the natural fit, Philadelphia, is the ultimate choice.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:59 AM

Central Philly waterfront agency seeks developer for lot near Ben Franklin Bridge

I read this on the mobile version. The most interesting part of this story was a nugget about Festival Pier development being in the "early stages of development" and there's a link to an article but it's from 2015. And according to that article, it's a pretty major project and designed by Cecil Baker and Olin. I'm sure it's been discussed here on this thread, but I don't recall anything recently.

What's more, Inga posted an article a few days ago about Wawa's plans for gas pumps along the waterfront in Pennsport and NoLibs:

Quote:
It looks as if a plan by the Delaware River Waterfront Corp. to build a large, mixed-use complex on Festival Pier is finally gathering steam. The project could ultimately bring 550 apartments and 30,000 square feet of retail to Delaware Avenue.
(somehow this article wasn't blocked)

Has anyone heard anything about this proposal that indicates any momentum? Is there even a rendering?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:24 AM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
The most interesting part of this story was a nugget about Festival Pier development being in the "early stages of development" and there's a link to an article but it's from 2015. And according to that article, it's a pretty major project and designed by Cecil Baker and Olin. I'm sure it's been discussed here on this thread, but I don't recall anything recently.

Has anyone heard anything about this proposal that indicates any momentum? Is there even a rendering?
Inga had an article a week or so back about the seemingly imminent move of the concert venue to the Delaware Generating Plant just north of Penn Treaty Park due to the redevelopment of Festival Pier. Not sure if they’re updated, but renderings for the Festival Pier site can be seen here: https://www.theolinstudio.com/festival-pier

One other aspect the article you linked to: the RFP that the DRWC issued for the site between Vine and Callowhill also included a stipulation about the archaeological aspects of the site. A prior study was done and you can read more here: http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.c...rd-archaeology

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrytsyu View Post
I have been loathe to discuss these issues for many months. It always appeared logical, at least to me, Philadelphia is the ideal destination for HQ2. However, corporate beings have a different logic system than urban planners, et. al.

I provide instance of GE as an example with relocation to the immediate Boston area. Corporate leaders provided all sorts of progressive technological criteria determining their decision. Ultimately, that is where the corporate leaders wanted to live. Consider this in a company where relocation is LEAST of the problems to contend with. GE has been mismanaged for many years. Focus upon relocation as any solution to their problems was preposterous. However, this is the nature of the corporate species.

Regarding Amazon, I determined a suburban DC location was imminent when Amazon began major lobbying efforts targeting federal representitives in February 2018. Apparently they perceive those efforts as imperative to market survival in an environment where our nation's political executive has made specific attacks upon them. Lobby functions do not necessitate a nearby headquarters unless it is a major corporate strategy for years advancement, and I believe it is.

Furthermore, I have heard the chatter, especially from informed sources, just like everyone else. I hope we are all mistaken and the natural fit, Philadelphia, is the ultimate choice.
Still, Philadelphia's brand could take a major bump in the right direction if Amazon just simply includes us on their short-short list of 3-5 locations - that in fact exclude places like Boston, Atlanta, New York and Dallas.

Honestly, if it's ever confirmed that they knew from the start that D.C. was their choice, and the rest was mostly a publicity driven dog and pony show, then they ought to be ashamed of themselves and held accountable. Imagine how many municipal man-hours went into the 230+ proposals for this? Let alone the additional time and efforts contributed by the 20 finalists.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:56 AM

I've made threads for 626 N Delaware and 3720 Chestnut over in the proposed section.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I've made threads for 626 N Delaware and 3720 Chestnut over in the proposed section.
Great job! Good threads for two nice projects

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Central Philly waterfront agency seeks developer for lot near Ben Franklin Bridge

I read this on the mobile version. The most interesting part of this story was a nugget about Festival Pier development being in the "early stages of development" and there's a link to an article but it's from 2015. And according to that article, it's a pretty major project and designed by Cecil Baker and Olin. I'm sure it's been discussed here on this thread, but I don't recall anything recently.

Recent articles about the Durst purchase of nearby piers mention Jefferson Apartment Group & Haverford Properties, and some Googling brought me to this set of renderings, which seems to pull from early concepts and from the Olin Studio

I don't remember seeing those Olin renderings before.

Regarding the new RFP, I sure hope that someone funds some archaeological work underneath that parking lot. A pre-colonial era shipping yard is entombed below that PPA lot - some study of it was done in the 80s, I think, but to get access to the whole thing would be really amazing.

Unfortunately, Philadelphia couldn't even get One Water Street to stick to the plan of rehabbing the Belgian Block streets around that building, let alone sticking to the rules when it came to height variances, so I don't hold out much hope.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 11:49 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Nice work mcgrath618, thank you.

Does anyone know how to have them included under “Philadelphia Projects & Construction”.

It would be great to add the Philadelphia Transportation thread there too. That’s long overdue. Haha, I’m a poet and didn’t even know it! I can make a rhyme any old time!

Philadelphia transportation thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Nice work mcgrath618, thank you.

Does anyone know how to have them included when searching for Philadelphia proposals?
An admin has to tag them.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
It would be great to add the Philadelphia Transportation thread there too. That’s long overdue.
I've been asking this for a long time. I'd really appreciate it being more easily accessible so we can have a dedicated place for transportation discussion, and it would definitely get used too. It's a ghost town over there. We could post there instead of clogging up the general developments thread with transportation stuff. Admins, if you're listening, I hope you are able to find a way to post the transportation thread that is missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our users.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:18 PM
PhillyPholly

Quote:
I see one for 200 Race but I don't see these.
Links?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I see one for 200 Race but I don't see these.
Links?
They're tagged as Philly now, you should see them:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=234711
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=234712

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:25 AM
i heart philly

Chance for a new army HQ in university city with 500 jobs! Decision tomorrow.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...html?mobi=true

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster View Post
Chance for a new army HQ in university city with 500 jobs! Decision tomorrow.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...html?mobi=true
Austin was announced as the ‘winner’ earlier today.

http://m.startribune.com/ap-sources-...-hq/488054031/

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Austin was announced as the ‘winner’ earlier today.

http://m.startribune.com/ap-sources-...-hq/488054031/
Wow, a fake-ass city in the south gets a new headquarters. Color me shocked.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Wow, a fake-ass city in the south gets a new headquarters. Color me shocked.
Rednecks like Texas what can we say.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations