HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Alright Ando. Not such a bad thing we share these things for everyone's safety no? I know two people pepper sprayed and robbed at the above mentioned 7-11. Thank goodness it didn't happen to you but to pretend it doesn't happen otherwise is naive at best, dismissing the apparent assessed risk at medium, or worse, dismissing everyone else with their obvious real world concerns is feigned superiority at its very worst IMHO.

Stabbings, pepper/bear sprays are commonplace in these places. Sure, not DAR-es-salaam I suppose but not a place to be walking around either after 10:00 PM on most nights. To advise people otherwise is disingenuous, foolish and likely dangerous.

I would rather tell people of the real possibilities. Despite the the specific aim of this website. It's just a conversation after all right?
Does Dar-es Salaam have a particularly high crime rate? I couldn't find disaggregated information. It seems like drug addiction might be lower than Canada, but property crime is higher. Tanzania's murder rate is higher than Canada's, but it looks like in Tanzania one would be more much likely to die in an auto-accident rather than a murder. In any case, it isn't as dangerous as Los Cabos, Caracas, or even St. Louis.

In Manitoba, one is more at risk of dying from falling, accidental poisoning, suicide, and motor vehicle accidents than one is from murder.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Oh. Crap. Mayor Russ Wyatt??

Just joined Twitter in June 2018 and account not verified. But everyone seems to be allover his post..

https://twitter.com/CounRussWyatt/st...31218431008769
Mayor Wyatt would make building more Affordable Housing Units a top priority. I would re-establish the Housing Division that was eliminated by the present Mayor and fund its operations and the new affordable housing projects from part of the proceeds coming from the Impact Fee.
Well this puts an end to running for mayor nonsense, this guy is a mess.

Winnipeg Coun. Russ Wyatt charged with sexual assault | CBC News cbc.ca/news/canada/ma… #cbcmb #wpgpoli #wpg18

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Especially when incidents like this happen, robbing people violently all over downtown including The Forks.
It's too bad there isn't a group of vigilantes (i.e Guardian Angels) that could help suppress some of the criminal and violent activity in this city. People should be able to walk around any part of this city without the fear of being attacked by thugs.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:46 PM

we should focus on ending poverty and providing resources and programming for children and families instead.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:56 PM
What could go wrong?

We should focus on putting this interesting talk into the Western Expresso thread. I keep getting excited with the prospect of these new posts being on construction only to find them on the crime rate in some city I have never heard of in Tanzania.

Or better yet - Winnipeg of Interest thread
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
we should focus on ending poverty and providing resources and programming for children and families instead.
I prefer this over gangs of vigilantes.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:49 PM

This is both crime and construction related. They are going to tear down the Portage Place bus shelter as part of the downtown safety initiative and build something new.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
This is both crime and construction related. They are going to tear down the Portage Place bus shelter as part of the downtown safety initiative and build something new.
Is that actually happening? City or PP directive? Because that could just move issues into the mall.

EDIT: Just read the article. Seems like a bandaid solution that will negatively affect more people than it would "improve" crime. Also, taking the money out of the hotel tax is sure to piss some people off, haha. Curious to see what could be done differently while still providing heat.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Poverty will always exist to some extent. The idea to provide resources and programming for children and families is noble and something that most citizens would agree on. However, there will always be a segment of our population that choose a life of crime and violence. The rest of the population that is law abiding deserves the right to live in peace without worry about being the victim of violent crimes occurring in our city.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
Poverty will always exist to some extent. The idea to provide resources and programming for children and families is noble and something that most citizens would agree on. However, there will always be a segment of our population that choose a life of crime and violence. The rest of the population that is law abiding deserves the right to live in peace without worry about being the victim of violent crimes occurring in our city.
and what segment of the population is that?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
i dont think he's referring to a race thing....to me it sounds like the people who choose a life of crime.

anyhow, mods do your thang and merge these posts to another thread lol

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
i dont think he's referring to a race thing....to me it sounds like the people who choose a life of crime.

anyhow, mods do your thang and merge these posts to another thread lol
Just to confirm, you are correct - I was referring to those who choose a life of crime. I could care less what race they are.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Just a certain portion of the population. Not any particular group or demographic, but a small percentage of society as a whole.

There always have been, and likely always will be, a small portion of the human population that is predatory in nature and has tendencies of violence or exploitation toward other people. It's not necessarily the poor or marginalized, they can also be privileged (see Dellen Millard, James Holmes, Stephen Paddock, Harvey Weinstein, Bruce McArthur, etc). I think the crime-poverty correlation more accurately describes property crime (which to be fair is most crime) and is generalized to all crime when maybe it shouldn’t be. Throughout different demographics there seems to be a small segment of the population that has these sociopathic tendencies and I’m not entirely convinced that you can simply say the sole cause is poverty.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Well this puts an end to running for mayor nonsense, this guy is a mess.

Winnipeg Coun. Russ Wyatt charged with sexual assault | CBC News cbc.ca/news/canada/ma… #cbcmb #wpgpoli #wpg18
Yikes..

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Actually it was based on income. Oh well.
Regardless the reason, it makes for a better city.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
We should focus on putting this interesting talk into the Western Expresso thread. I keep getting excited with the prospect of these new posts being on construction only to find them on the crime rate in some city I have never heard of in Tanzania.

Or better yet - Winnipeg of Interest thread
This would require proper moderation, of which we do not have around here.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
I prefer this over gangs of vigilantes.
i'll take both

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Regardless the reason, it makes for a better city.
Uh huh. right. sure.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:14 PM

One of the more "funky" designs updated a bit and back before committee for variance. 16 floors, 352 student residences at the southeast corner of Bison and Pembina.

Current plan

Previously published render

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:27 PM

Bike pavillion seems like a great idea. It's a long walk but a short bike from Bison/Pembina to campus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan