HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:23 PM

Walking by the Holiday Inn at Portage and Colony I noticed a small for lease sign in the window of the Peppermill Restaurant. I think this sign has been up for at least the last year. Anyone know what is up?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:16 AM

Ya every time I've been to that Second Cup it's been packed – and that's with three other cafe's in the immediate vicinity – Twist across the street, Starbucks and Thom Bargen one corner west. Graham is slowly building up and has unbelievable potential. TNS could really push it over the hump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Walking by the Holiday Inn at Portage and Colony I noticed a small for lease sign in the window of the Peppermill Restaurant. I think this sign has been up for at least the last year. Anyone know what is up?
It sucked, it's closed, no one has leased it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:22 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Peppermill's customer base must have evaporated once Stella's opened up across the street. That location would be a good place for something along the lines of Albert's in Edmonton... Kind of a nonpretentious, straightforward alternative to places like Stella's or Clementine.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:34 AM

^I think a casual restaurant or sports bar would do fantastic there, between the hotel, students, and growing residents in the area – it would CRUSH Garbonzo's, currently the only option like that. It wouldn't be hard, keep it pretty basic and serve food that doesn't taste like it's intended for animal consumption, and you'll win all of Garbonzo's business.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:45 PM

Portage and Memorial is very similar to Portage and Main minus the pedestrian barricades. Lots of lanes of traffic and buildings that are mostly closed to pedestrian access. Sure Hudson Bay allows people in off the corner as does the hotel but both entrances are set somewhat back from the corner. Even worse is the Stella's building which is further recessed from the corner. There is also fairly limited reasons for pedestrians to walk west of Memorial on Portage if they are travelling from the east and those west are being more captured by things west of Memorial, ie staying on/near campus.

That is definitely a dividing line for downtown which is why the Peppermill somewhat struggled. Also being a generic hotel restaurant didn't help them any.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:55 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ I don't think Peppermill tried very hard to appeal to clients who weren't hotel guests. But the moment a more interesting option for guests popped up across the street, that probably doomed Peppermill.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't think Peppermill tried very hard to appeal to clients who weren't hotel guests. But the moment a more interesting option for guests popped up across the street, that probably doomed Peppermill.
Agreed. It was like they tried as hard as they could to not be known. Anything half decent there would crush it, lots of workers, students, and residents around.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 11:03 PM
Spiritual

Quote:
For one thing, Peppermill didn't survive because they close for Lunch. Several times I checked to see if they were open because I didn't want to be at a crowded Stella's.

Had a meal there a couple months back. Food was so-so.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 11:05 PM
Spiritual

Quote:
For one thing, Peppermill didn't survive because they close for Lunch. Several times I checked to see if they were open because I didn't want to be at a crowded Stella's.

Had a meal there a couple months back. Food was so-so.

Could have something there that will open for most of the day, or all 24/7 and be 'eyes on the street'.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:17 PM

Peppermill was the standard bland Sysco style fair.

That is why I was absolutely shocked to see the Sysco logos all over the menus at Nick's Inn in Headingley after hearing from a lot of people how amazing the place was. It totally lived up to the Sysco level expectations.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:22 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

So I lunched at Alycia's today. The dining room is not in the front sunroom area as I expected, but rather in the back, in the ruins of what used to be the Albert's bar. It looks as grimy as I remember it from the last time I set foot in there some 20 years ago... somehow the daylight makes it look a bit worse, even.

Anyway, in that charmless environment there is an Alycia's buffet. $15 gets you a pile of perogies, holopchi and kubassa, plus some other stuff that's less vital. It looks as sketchy as hell, but I will concede that the food is good even though being a buffet, it's not presented as nicely as the made to order platters that the old location on McGregor used to offer.

As much as I enjoyed the food I don't think I'd be in a huge rush to go back as I probably shouldn't eat quite so much at lunch. Also, the ambience is just generally depressing. But it's clearly popular because just about every table was full with a mixed crowd of office workers, seniors and families with young kids. Still, it's an odd dining experience worth trying at least once.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:46 PM
Formerly rypinion

The main floor of the Union Centre on Broadway between Smith and Garry appears to be getting a restaurant, Capital Bar and Grill. Looks like there's currently a location close to Assiniboine Park.

https://www.capitalwinnipeg.com/

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
So I lunched at Alycia's today. The dining room is not in the front sunroom area as I expected, but rather in the back, in the ruins of what used to be the Albert's bar.
The dining room actually was in the sunroom when they first opened, and it looked quite nice, but they moved it inside when it got too hot.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 11:50 PM

^All the more reason to tear down the sunroom and restore the facade.

It's just so odd to me that they're operating in there while there's still a very sketchy rooming house upstairs.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:41 AM

CF Polo Park is Added Mr Pretzels And Marb Stab Creamery

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:28 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

It's just so odd to me that they're operating in there while there's still a very sketchy rooming house upstairs.
It adds to the weirdness of it all. You can see the residents coming and going through a window in the "dining room".

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'll be first in line with my sledgehammer.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:07 PM

It would leave a nice big patio space out front for the restaurant or another future lounge/bar in there.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:44 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Popped into Second Cup on Graham for a coffee this morning. I expected to see some changes based on the earlier discussion here, but other than some furnishings moved around it looks exactly how it did before. Well, they added a Pinkberry frogo counter (yum). So it looks like business as usual in there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 9:10 PM

Melt wich in cityplace shut down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan