HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Balconies are such a funny thing, they are so seldom used yet they are so ubiquitous. I lived in a couple of condos with balconies and I have to admit I hardly ever used them, other than for barbequing, and my neighbours weren't much different. In our climate, they're basically unusable for nearly half the year anyway. But the funny thing is I would still have a hard time buying a condo without one... even if I were just to use it a few times a year.
Balconies are as close as you can get to having your own back yard for most that live in a multi-story buildling. Many people with detached houses spend equally little time in their own back yard, apart from mowing it a few times a month - especially in winter. Unless you can provide a condo owner with their own private piece of outside that is available for their own exclusive use, most buyers will demand a balcony. I personally think the concepts of balconies should be improved upon so that they can be made more usable, rather than completely removing them as an option.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:37 PM

^People in my neighbourhood are outside all the time. Kids. Middle aged people. My 85 year old neighbor who stills gardens. Me everyday in summer.

On the other hand. I had one client who had recently moved to a new neighbourhood. He said it was terrible. Houses with garages out front that "shit out cars in the morning, sucked them back in before dinner". Other than that nobody was around.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:44 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^People in my neighbourhood are outside all the time. Kids. Middle aged people. My 85 year old neighbor who stills gardens. Me everyday in summer.

On the other hand. I had one client who had recently moved to a new neighbourhood. He said it was terrible. Houses with garages out front that "shit out cars in the morning, sucked them back in before dinner". Other than that nobody was around.
I've lived in a pretty good sampling of different types of Winnipeg neighbourhoods and if there's one thing I've found to be consistent it's that people tend to be outside a lot during the first few weeks of t-shirt weather, and then it drops off precipitously.

For sure people fiddle around in their yards all the time, but when it comes to walking down the street, going to parks, etc., May, maybe early June is the crazy time for that when everyone has cabin fever and wants to get outside. Then by July the sidewalks and parks empty out.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Probably has a lot to do with the makeup of the neighbourhood as well. I have reason to be in amber trails often and there's always quite a number of people out and about. Sitting in the parks etc. They all seem to be Indian immigrants but they're out there.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 8:07 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Probably has a lot to do with the makeup of the neighbourhood as well. I have reason to be in amber trails often and there's always quite a number of people out and about. Sitting in the parks etc. They all seem to be Indian immigrants but they're out there.
It's funny that you should mention that. I was just thinking about that the other day, when I was noticed a good number of Indo-Canadian people out on the sidewalks and AT trail along Bishop Grandin. It reminded me of growing up in Tyndall Park when you'd see significant numbers of Indian people not just walking, but sitting, congregating, whatever. There's something about that culture that encourages people to do that.

It stands out because you rarely see adults doing that in suburban areas... it's something we could stand to see more of.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 9:05 PM

Growing up in Valley Gardens, there was a large Indian population. That's their heritage, walking. Always, always walking around.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's funny that you should mention that. I was just thinking about that the other day, when I was noticed a good number of Indo-Canadian people out on the sidewalks and AT trail along Bishop Grandin. It reminded me of growing up in Tyndall Park when you'd see significant numbers of Indian people not just walking, but sitting, congregating, whatever. There's something about that culture that encourages people to do that.

It stands out because you rarely see adults doing that in suburban areas... it's something we could stand to see more of.
newcomers to winnipeg haven't figured out that public spaces aren't meant to be used, they're meant to be driven by in single-occupant cars

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 9:43 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Exactly! Get with the program!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan