HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 8:10 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Tarp is off the old Papa Georges location in the Village....Looks like a Keg location..oh well.
The owners of The Grove along with Half Pints are leasing that spot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 8:36 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cobourg, ON/Mesa, AZ
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
along with Half Pints
This I didn't know. This is good. Mmmm, St. James ale.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 3:43 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The owners of The Grove along with Half Pints are leasing that spot.
Thx h0twired, I heard about the ownership group earlier, I was commenting on the exterior renovations that have taken place.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 6:29 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,171
Cornerstone





from https://twitter.com/tofurkey_

looks like shit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 6:39 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Cornerstone
looks like shit.

ahh..yes, to the point I like your comment. Could have left the old Papas exterior and it would have been an upgrade.
__________________
♥ ♥

Last edited by Cyro; Oct 10, 2013 at 6:52 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 6:42 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,868
Who owns the building?

Might be a bit premature to blame The Grove or Half Pints.

Depending on how the building is set up mechanically it could be a HUGE expense to add a few more windows along Osborne.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 6:47 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Cornerstone

looks like shit.
Possibly.

However from my dealings with "joe public" the consensus on prairie stone is "ohh, that's nice!"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:03 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,868
I would be disappointed if it was a new build that we were talking about.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:05 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Who owns the building?

Might be a bit premature to blame The Grove or Half Pints.

Depending on how the building is set up mechanically it could be a HUGE expense to add a few more windows along Osborne.
i'm talking more about the materials, I understand that major renovations might have been cost prohibitive. the beige siding and stucco is just cheap and unimaginative.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:12 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Cornerstone





from https://twitter.com/tofurkey_

looks like shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Possibly.

However from my dealings with "joe public" the consensus on prairie stone is "ohh, that's nice!"
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````



http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...209539841.html


I like the old more rustic osborne 2nd picture. I might check out this new keg, I mean grove location sometime.

Let's let Joe public decide?

The 1st 2 pics have a certain....Dollarama on Portage look?
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:23 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill

Let's let Joe public decide?

The 1st 2 pics have a certain....Dollarama on Portage look?
My point was that, outside of forums heavy on urban planning and architecture (such as this one) people tend to like prairie stone (and stucco!). For better or worse.

It's possible the new tenants requested the finish for all we know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:38 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I would be disappointed if it was a new build that we were talking about.
If I'm disappointed about anything, it's the fact that there wasn't an actual new build on that corner. It seems ideal for a 2 to 6 storey retail/office/residential building.

The reno job is not the way I would have done it myself, but I can live with it. It's an improvement (however marginal) over the way it used to look.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:40 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
My point was that, outside of forums heavy on urban planning and architecture (such as this one) people tend to like prairie stone (and stucco!). For better or worse.

It's possible the new tenants requested the finish for all we know.
Yes, quite true Drew. The tenants would most likely decide what thier exterior would look like. (stucco?..lol) I slung mud for years,mixed it and breathed it. Winnipegers do like thier stucco.. Would you like the popcorn stipple or the cool and unique gray base on your home?
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:42 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If I'm disappointed about anything, it's the fact that there wasn't an actual new build on that corner. It seems ideal for a 2 to 6 storey retail/office/residential building.

The reno job is not the way I would have done it myself, but I can live with it. It's an improvement (however marginal) over the way it used to look.

^ This(bolded), an oportunnity that slipped away.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 8:44 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Would you like the popcorn stipple or the cool and unique gray base on your home?
Haha - no way!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 2:58 AM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,868
I think you guys are getting WAY too worked up about the old Papa Georges location.

It is unlikely that the restauranteurs actually own the building, and while they could have requested that there be more windows along Osborne chances are the cost of the renos may have exceeded their renovation budget. Do you really think an independent locally owned restaurant is going to drop a couple hundred grand and move all of the mechanical systems just to add more windows? Highly unlikely.

As I said earlier it would be far worse if this was actually a new build, and you guys should just be happy that the building isn't staying vacant which it was looking like was going to happen at first.

I am fine with the current situation because it puts a small business owner in the location and brings more people to the area. If the owner of the property one day tears it down and rebuilds with a ground level retail and condos above, then we can be a bit more critical.

That said, we could have had a shiny new Boston Pizza or McDonalds location with lots of windows there instead.

Pick your battles. There is no need to pick every nit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 6:31 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I think you guys are getting WAY too worked up about the old Papa Georges location.

It is unlikely that the restauranteurs actually own the building, and while they could have requested that there be more windows along Osborne chances are the cost of the renos may have exceeded their renovation budget. Do you really think an independent locally owned restaurant is going to drop a couple hundred grand and move all of the mechanical systems just to add more windows? Highly unlikely.

As I said earlier it would be far worse if this was actually a new build, and you guys should just be happy that the building isn't staying vacant which it was looking like was going to happen at first.

I am fine with the current situation because it puts a small business owner in the location and brings more people to the area. If the owner of the property one day tears it down and rebuilds with a ground level retail and condos above, then we can be a bit more critical.

That said, we could have had a shiny new Boston Pizza or McDonalds location with lots of windows there instead.

Pick your battles. There is no need to pick every nit.
I don't think we're getting to carried away with comments on this location and the exterior. It is a "High Profile" location? Thier were 5 iirc, high profile tenants vieing for this location.(not were lucky to get a tenant at all) They went with a local winnipeg owner, which I applaud. Could some of the other proposed tenants put more into the location? It is possible. Does it fit into the Osborne Village look and feel, not in my opinion.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 11:22 AM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
41 Units, Nice infill on these lots.


New condos for 570-578 Stradbrook Osborne Village


Plans for 570-578 call for two buildings, 41 condos
Source
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 7:26 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Oz..In the Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
OZ Condo on River Ave., taken by me Nov 6.

__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 7:41 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Loved this proposal, had to bump the Osborne Village thread.. Thx HH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Arts centre has big plans for Village
Multi-use complex premièred



http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...241934711.html

rendering:
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.