HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
A great little blog article about turning the Travellers Building into the farmers market. They also created a rendering, showing what it could look like.
http://www.openprojects.ca/2014/04/1...armers-market/
Great Find! Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Both Sears and the Bay in the Cornwall need major renos (though apparently the Bay has already done a bit of one, i.e. some painting). Both look worse than the new Walmarts; it's pathetic.
Sears has plans to renovate. I don't know the timeline however.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:14 AM

Quote:
A great little blog article about turning the Travellers Building into the farmers market. They also created a rendering, showing what it could look like.
http://www.openprojects.ca/2014/04/1...armers-market/
Looks great but I think they would need a ton of financial help to make that feasible and I agree that it would be nice to have some outdoor space available for summer.

If I had the money:
I kind of picture a small art gallery on the main floor and then maybe a coffee shop or cafe with some outdoor seating and a small book store. Or a larger book store and coffee shop. Or maybe a grocery store?

And then the second floor-definitely restore the Arcadia Ballroom to its former glory. You could rent it out for weddings and events, host small performances, hold public dances (you could do themes! I love themes! Barn dance, 50s sock hop, swing night, masquerade ball, jazz night, karaoke/open mike nights....) I believe the second floor also has some office space. This could be rented out as office space, or maybe re-worked into living spaces.

Regardless of what happens with that building (though I cross my fingers that it will be something wonderful) that stretch of Broad needs a lot of love. I'd like to see the city put some effort into the streetscape there. Trees and maybe some raised planters along the sidewalks would improve the look of the place and for pedestrians it would create a sense of separation from the traffic. And I know the medians are pretty narrow on Broad through downtown but it would be great to see some plants through that stretch. They don't necessarily have to be raised planters, could be a simple as "cut out" areas on the medians or the medians themselves could be planters similar to this example:

(http://www.sfdpw.org/index.aspx?page=1105)

Even a single tier would look fine. Throw some drought resistant native plants in there just to give the area some life and colour.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:25 PM

First 2 floors of 11th and Albert appear to be complete, furnished and ready to occupy by INAC. The sidewalks need to be completed.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:43 PM

Four Points Sheraton on Dewdney is now scheduled to open July 31, 2014. This will be closing on in 3 years of construction.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Four Points Sheraton on Dewdney is now scheduled to open July 31, 2014. This will be closing on in 3 years of construction.
Not bad though for 3 guys, doin' it in their spare time though!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 1:01 AM

Condo's

Both condo's are coming along quite nicely. Anyone heard what businesses are going into the main floors of the buildings?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:41 AM
Closed account

Quote:
First 2 floors of 11th and Albert appear to be complete, furnished and ready to occupy by INAC. The sidewalks need to be completed.

And what a horrific mess that building is. I don't know what the developers were thinking. The future tenants on the 3 & 4th floors are going to love those tiny windows.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udon'tknow View Post
Both condo's are coming along quite nicely. Anyone heard what businesses are going into the main floors of the buildings?

I heard something about a wine bar in CSP and a coffee shop in Gardens on Rose. I am not sure whether those are still happening.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest View Post
And what a horrific mess that building is. I don't know what the developers were thinking. The future tenants on the 3 & 4th floors are going to love those tiny windows.
Windows on those floors could have been better but overall I like the building. I hope it has some street level retail but it is a nice four storey building that will bring more people downtown and is a lot better than the empty lot of weeds that was previously there.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM

Does anyone recall when SGI is planning on making a decision regarding a design choice for their new building?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Does anyone recall when SGI is planning on making a decision regarding a design choice for their new building?
According to the news release on their website the winning proposal should be announced mid-2014.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
According to the news release on their website the winning proposal should be announced mid-2014.
Gawd, I sure hope that the SGI proposal isn't the Broad/Vic contraption. (Lol!)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker58 View Post
I heard something about a wine bar in CSP and a coffee shop in Gardens on Rose. I am not sure whether those are still happening.
When I toured Centre Square Place last summer they were talking about a gourmet food store, a cafe and a dry-cleaning drop-off. Don't know whether any of those options have panned out though.

Last edited by CoR East; Apr 16, 2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: clarity

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoR East View Post
When I toured Centre Square Place last summer they were talking about a gourmet food store, a cafe and a dry-cleaning drop-off. Don't know whether any of those options have panned out though.
Sounds like realtor talk.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Sounds like realtor talk.
It was developer talk, I wasn't there to buy

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 5:01 AM

O'Hanlon's patio update

From STV April 8, 2014:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1258993/pa...ing-in-regina/

"...O’Hanlon’s has been looking to expand their popular patio for four years but its had a few setbacks with getting city approval of the design.

The city has now allowed the restaurant and bar to purchase the property at the front of the building. Soon the patio will extend across neighbouring restaurants Michi and The Copper Kettle and will be able to seat up to 200 people.

O’Hanlon is still waiting on heated canopies from Italy, but says once all the parts arrive, it should be a one-day construction project – hopefully completed within the next two months.

“It’s good for business and it’s good for Regina too. Anybody staying in the hotels, they look out and see a bunch of nice patios downtown, it kind of promotes the image of the city,” he said."

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:14 PM

Hopefully the canopies can be removed in the summer since sitting in the sun drinking beer is the best part of the patio.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Hopefully the canopies can be removed in the summer since sitting in the sun drinking beer is the best part of the patio.
I'm guessing each of the white sections in the photo would be retractable so they could be moved in and out quite easily depending on the weather. The orange sections would be the heaters themselves and would be in place permanently. Just my guess based on the photo.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
From STV April 8, 2014:
lol!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan