HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:50 PM

TD buying Greystone today for eight hundred million dollars is a big deal for Regina with uncertain consequences. One thing is for certain, there are a whole bunch more very rich people in Regina. Greystone was employee-owned. Let's hope most of them they stick around and invest in Regina.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
TD buying Greystone today for eight hundred million dollars is a big deal for Regina with uncertain consequences. One thing is for certain, there are a whole bunch more very rich people in Regina. Greystone was employee-owned. Let's hope most of them they stick around and invest in Regina.
Not familiar with Greystone so I had to look it up. Today's report suggests they are going to keep offices here but who knows what the song and dance will be once the deal actually goes through later this year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/td-...792m-1.4740400

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:06 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Huh, I think my parents did some business with Greystone (since the work for the provincial government... Well, they just retired, anyways!), I wonder if this means they'll have more money now.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Not familiar with Greystone so I had to look it up. Today's report suggests they are going to keep offices here but who knows what the song and dance will be once the deal actually goes through later this year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/td-...792m-1.4740400
The big issue is the loss of a true head office and all the spin off that goes with that, from philanthropy to visiting consultants to very high paying senior exec jobs. We have seen this movie before in Regina many times. (Crown Life, Ipsco, Wascana Energy, Viterra, etc.)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Huh, I think my parents did some business with Greystone (since the work for the provincial government... Well, they just retired, anyways!), I wonder if this means they'll have more money now.
Greystone manages their pension. They would not own an interest in Greystone itself.

Edit: Apparently, in addition to the employees, 3 founding pension plans do own shares. I do not know which ones.

Last edited by Stormer; Jul 11, 2018 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 2:11 AM

Quote:
The big issue is the loss of a true head office and all the spin off that goes with that, from philanthropy to visiting consultants to very high paying senior exec jobs. We have seen this movie before in Regina many times. (Crown Life, Ipsco, Wascana Energy, Viterra, etc.)
I guess Robert Vanderhooft wanted his golden handshake.

I think Greystone will maintain a sizable office in Sask in the short-term because of the investments here. But given that Greystone already has a Toronto office it is inevitable that over the next decade Greystone will be a Toronto company with a small branch office here.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeGuy View Post
Anyone know what's going in the old conexus building. On Victoria and Albert. Apparently they are looking at expanding the parkade on angus to 4 story's from two?
There are renders of the parkade in the RPC minutes from the last meeting. It is a pretty major upgrade. Also they are planning a pocket park in the this location:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.44842...2!8i6656?hl=en

They also mention new "Grand Avenue" trees every 6m on the whole W side of the 19 block of Albert.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 2:32 AM

Quote:
There are renders of the parkade in the RPC minutes from the last meeting. It is a pretty major upgrade. Also they are planning a pocket park in the this location:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.44842...2!8i6656?hl=en

They also mention new "Grand Avenue" trees every 6m on the whole W side of the 19 block of Albert.
That whole thing is a joke. The pocket park, which is only a mild upgrade of the existing useless one, will not be used by anyone. And the last thing the downtown needs is more parking.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:01 PM

I see there is some fencing up and some kind of construction activity in Harbour Landing at the intersection of Lewvan Dr. and Parliament Ave, on the north side of Parliament Ave.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:08 PM

^^ yeah they were grading and staking the area yesterday. I believe there's a grocery store (Coop?) going here and 6-8 other small business in 2 strip mall style buildings. Don't think anything has been announced about those yet.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
That whole thing is a joke. The pocket park, which is only a mild upgrade of the existing useless one, will not be used by anyone. And the last thing the downtown needs is more parking.
Disagree. Higher density parking could decrease the profitability of surface parking lots, making those lots more desirable for other development.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 11:51 PM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
Disagree. Higher density parking could decrease the profitability of surface parking lots, making those lots more desirable for other development.
Plus I’m pretty sure they are building up. Just another case of an old man shaking his fist at clouds.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Plus I’m pretty sure they are building up. Just another case of an old man shaking his fist at clouds.
This addition of parking downtown will do literally nothing for surface parking. It does however make the parking ratio at Sherwood Place to level of a shopping mall. It's disgraceful.

The Co-operators are abandoning their location to relocate here despite the building having ample parking. It's the net addition of 150+ parking spaces for no reason whatsoever.

Additionally it violates rules on active streetscapes, floor-area-ratio and setbacks. And what does the city get in return? Oh a tiny bit of concrete replaced with mulch at a park that doesn't serve any use to the community whatsoever.

You all can complain about me all you want, but you haven't spend any time whatsoever thinking about the issue and it shows.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 5:12 AM

Quote:
This addition of parking downtown will do literally nothing for surface parking.
Probably in the short term it may do nothing. However, in the long run, it is likely a positive. It definitely does not make additional surface parking more attractive. If anything, it adds additional capacity to a system that, to your point, likely doesn't need it.

It makes additional surface lots a bit less likely going forward.

I don't even need to read your posts to know you are complaining about something. If you made a bit of an effort to be balanced in your comments, you might find you're not the biggest loser in every social encounter of which you are regrettably a part.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:01 AM
Hmm....

As for the little pocket park... I can see it being used by the co-operators employees. Victoria Park (or any other green space) is a little too far away, so it would definitely be a good break/lunching spot. Compared to the cement and piss-poor planter boxes that current inhabit the space, more greenery is a definite improvement.

Honestly it's kind of a typical office building fronting most other cities have, but Regina has been lacking. Useable space at the base of a "tower" no matter how small is hard to view as a negative.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:58 PM

So for Co-operators moving into Sherwood Place, you guys are talking about them moving their entire local HQ from College Ave to there? That's a big move.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:20 PM

Parkade render from RPC minutes. I did not see a render of the pocket park.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:15 AM

Quote:
If you made a bit of an effort to be balanced in your comments, you might find you're not the biggest loser in every social encounter of which you are regrettably a part.
Let me know when you contribute something of note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
As for the little pocket park... I can see it being used by the co-operators employees. Victoria Park (or any other green space) is a little too far away, so it would definitely be a good break/lunching spot. Compared to the cement and piss-poor planter boxes that current inhabit the space, more greenery is a definite improvement.

Honestly it's kind of a typical office building fronting most other cities have, but Regina has been lacking. Useable space at the base of a "tower" no matter how small is hard to view as a negative.
It's a negative when it's tiny and unusable and a poor trade off for a parkade which would otherwise not be allowed. Nobody wants to sit in a garbage park that's 15 feet from one of the busiest roads in the city.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Let me know when you contribute something of note.
I'd put my 159 posts up against your 1,000+ posts of arrogant nonsense any day.

Quote:
Nobody wants to sit in a garbage park that's 15 feet from one of the busiest roads in the city.
Your opinion isn't representative of the general public. Not even close. So stop spouting ridiculous nonsense.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 8:07 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
It's a negative when it's tiny and unusable and a poor trade off for a parkade which would otherwise not be allowed. Nobody wants to sit in a garbage park that's 15 feet from one of the busiest roads in the city.
It doesn't seem to stop people in bigger cities with busier streets...

I used to work there and still know a fair few people at the Co-operators, and they would definitely go to a pocket park on breaks/at lunch for a change of scenery.

Honestly though, this is the kind of thing most larger cities require as part of a tower's design, so the fact that one is being included in a bit of a redevelopment is a good thing, regardless of how "busy" a Regina street is (which is pretty light compared to larger cities).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan