HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:50 AM

Thanks for all the replies on 272 Main - it's a neat old building and I walk by there almost every day. Was wondering why another reno was underway. Hope the residential works out - and a new restaurant around there would be a good thing. Parking inside though? There might be enough width for 4 stalls but that lane is full of courier/delivery/moving trucks all day for 200 Graham next door. It'll be hit and miss on getting in and out of there on weekdays.

I figured Chamberlyn's was gone for good. But isn't the new tower going to be more on top of the food court side of Winnipeg Square? Chamberlyn's is pretty close to the Fort side. Well, it'll be interesting to see what changes will come to the Square as the project gets underway.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:57 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Thanks for all the replies on 272 Main - it's a neat old building and I walk by there almost every day. Was wondering why another reno was underway. Hope the residential works out - and a new restaurant around there would be a good thing. Parking inside though? There might be enough width for 4 stalls but that lane is full of courier/delivery/moving trucks all day for 200 Graham next door. It'll be hit and miss on getting in and out of there on weekdays.
Its just going to be for 4 cars, max. Likely three.

Above the back of the main floor, there is a concrete mezzanine area. Below this partial raised concrete floor is a convenient space for a few parking spots. A good selling feature for "the boss" when considering leasing the commercial space.

It was supposed to be private parking for a penthouse that was considered to built on top of the roof. Would have been awesome. Now I believe they are going to have a roof top patio instead.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 4:09 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Yes, there is a great deal of new steel installed below the floors in there now to accommodate all the extra concrete.
The endurance of that building is amazing. Totally gutted twice in its first decade by huge fires, then defaced with that ugly facade for a few decades only to have the disastrous reno almost kill it once again.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 4:22 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
The house in Norwood Flats is now on Kijiji.

http://http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sale/winnipeg/norwood-flats-1-134-sq-ft-handyman-special/1174021257

I guess it's time to put up or shut up.
Ha!! Too funny. Good find. Better tell my boss.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 4:24 AM
surely you agree with me

Great news about residential going in on south main. It's a beautiful building.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 4:27 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The endurance of that building is amazing. Totally gutted twice in its first decade by huge fires, then defaced with that ugly facade for a few decades only to have the disastrous reno almost kill it once again.
luckily it was rebuilt like a brick shithouse following the last fire. Poured new concrete beams, columns and floors inside the existing brick exterior walls - including perimeter concrete beams at each floor around the exterior walls. The foundation of the building is essentially a 4-foot thick giant raft slab below the basement floor.

At this point it would take a large incendiary device to take that building out.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 11:21 AM

A lttle add reg: Hilton Garden Inn South Tuxedo

Developer/Management: SK Developments

Quote:
First of this brand to be built in Manitoba. When it’s completed near the end of next summer, officials say the six-storey, 86,000-square-foot hotel will include 127 rooms, a beer vendor, indoor pool, a full-service restaurant, bar, and patios, as well as meeting space.

Image Info Source

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 11:34 AM

Red River College STTC
Winnipeg, MB - Red River College Campus

Number TEN's: Prime Consultant
Size: 102,000 sq. ft.
Completed: 2017 (Estimated)

Quote:
New 102,000 sq. ft. Skilled Trades & Technology Centre addition at Red River College’s Notre Dame Campus...

The facility, scheduled for completion in 2017, will be a state-of-the art educational centre of excellence designed to accommodate up to 800 students each year in high-demand trades such as carpentry, sheet metal, electrical, refrigeration, machining and manufacturing and HVAC..

The project is targeting LEED® Gold status from the Canadian Green Building Council, incorporating durable, energy efficient design features to reduce energy requirements while minimizing waste...

Image/Informational Source:

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 12:09 PM

Macdonald Youth Services - therapeutic centre 175 Mayfair Ave

Quote:
The state-of-the-art, 33,000-square-foot facility will replace three older buildings and centralize staff currently in six locations throughout Winnipeg.

One-third of the space will be devoted to therapeutic programs such as art, music and cultural activities, as well as individual and family counselling.

-Stuart Olson Construction.
-Completion in June 2017.
Source

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our...329975881.html

Welll underway, from my last Drive-by of the site.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
So back in the fall when the Academy streetscaping started we discussed how the decorative columns at the east entry (around Oak) were so big a wheelchair couldn't fit by... they already have been taken down. It's just weird that was even approved in the first place. But it's taking them a painstakingly long time to finish that work. Can't believe there still isn't even banners up on the posts... although SOME of them are now lit up.

Also, has anyone been able to see the Osborne Streetscaping plans? Lots of new red bike racks going up, but not much else other than new concrete. It's so dreary around there right now, I hope the new digs are vibrant and eye-catching, not just more black poles.
I see the "metal trees" are back-up in St.James Biz area, not lit up yet though. If they're LED they might look ok

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
The Hilton Garden hotel, $35 million project in the Seasons of Tuxedo area has broken ground today.
I especially am waiting to hear that Sutton Place breaks ground soon plus some other downtown hotels.
I've stayed at quite a few of these for work in the USA, nice chain to stay at. I wouldn't refer to them as "luxury" like the FreeP calls them but they are a nice chain and I get "Hilton" points

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
The house in Norwood Flats is now on Kijiji.

http://http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sale/winnipeg/norwood-flats-1-134-sq-ft-handyman-special/1174021257

I guess it's time to put up or shut up.
That price is very high. no investor would buy that and attempt to rent it out as a duplex, escpecially considering the condition it is in. developer is trying to make a point to the city that no one wants to buy it, i'm assuming?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I question why they're touching this building. It's already all glass, and glass is "good", right?

Any photos sketches of what it'll look like? Someone mentioned that it'll be straightened out and won't be as "curvy".

And is this "re-cladding" going on in other downtowns in N. America, or is this just a Winnipeg thing?
It'll look very similar. Maybe with some vertical lines instead of the grid it is now. If you look closely at the building, many panels surface finish is gone. Also I would assume the windows are at their functional end of life. Just like I'm replacing the 30 year old windows on my house right now, they're replacing the 30 year old windows on the building. The building will stay the same shape too. So if you didn't know it was done, you might not even notice.

Last edited by bomberjet; Jun 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:38 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
That price is very high. no investor would buy that and attempt to rent it out as a duplex, escpecially considering the condition it is in. developer is trying to make a point to the city that no one wants to buy it, i'm assuming?
Throwing one picture of the front of a house on Kijiji, complete with a one sentence description does not meet my definition of "trying".

Get a real estate agent and put it on MLS if you actually want to "try". Maybe think about adding a couple more pictures...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:42 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Throwing one picture of the front of a house on Kijiji, complete with a one sentence description does not meet my definition of "trying".

Get a real estate agent and put it on MLS if you actually want to "try". Maybe think about adding a couple more pictures...
That's not an uncommon practice for run down revenue properties, though. They don't often get the whole glossy realtor treatment.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:48 PM

On 300 Main/Chamberlyn's. If they're taking out the restaurant, they should remove the food court too. Reconfigure that whole end of the square while constructing the new tower. That food court is like a prison. Cages, ugly, crappy food.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:51 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's not an uncommon practice for run down revenue properties, though. They don't often get the whole glossy realtor treatment.
I don't think you need the glossy brochure - but you certainly need people to know its for sale.

And unless the house is structurally dilapidated, it is no different than any other run down house in this City. Someone out there would likely have a go at trying to fix it up - but they probably aren't cruising around Kijiji trying to find their next home.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:52 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
On 300 Main/Chamberlyn's. If they're taking out the restaurant, they should remove the food court too. Reconfigure that whole end of the square while constructing the new tower. That food court is like a prison. Cages, ugly, crappy food.
I ate there last week for the first time in forever, and that's what I was thinking too. For one of the busier food courts in the city, it is remarkably small and depressing. Portage Place is practically an uplifting experience by comparison.

Artis could probably stand to cut down on the unleaseable CRUs in the mall proper and expand the food court. For instance, move all the CRUs around the skylight area over to where the food court is now, and then put in a larger food court on the western half of the block.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 1:55 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
That price is very high
The price is more than fair (currently assessed at $258,000). It is zoned multifamily and would be ideal for a 2 unit attached development.

It would probably be worth even more if there wasn't a house on the property and was just a vacant lot.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think you need the glossy brochure - but you certainly need people to know its for sale.

And unless the house is structurally dilapidated, it is no different than any other run down house in this City. Someone out there would likely have a go at trying to fix it up - but they probably aren't cruising around Kijiji trying to find their next home.
Agree, I have a few fellows that would be interested in taking a look, and we (they, don't cruise this site for potential flips). Can someone on the forum tell me about the condition of the interior, foundation etc. from a first hand visit...Appreciated..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan